What do Americans think of socialized medicine? (video)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

Very enlightening video to those of us who aren’t American and maybe even to some Americans. Shows how ignorant some Americans are on the healthcare of other countries and don’t know how bad they have it themselves in the US. That one older white lady in the red is quite something.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#2 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 46552 Posts

NowThis...

This is enlightening to their viewership, or specifically catered to it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

NowThis...

I don’t know, who is their viewership? Have never heard of the source before seeing this video. What do you think?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8428 Posts

@leicam6 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

NowThis...

I don’t know, who is their viewership? Have never heard of the source before seeing this video. What do you think?

NowThis is like the left's version of Breitbart.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@ad1x2: That statement can be interpreted a lot of ways. Could you elaborate? A cursory glance of their website and Wikipedia page doesn’t at all make it seem like “the left’s version of Breitbart”. NowThis seems more like bog standard political content geared to millennials.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ad1x2

@leicam6 said:

@ad1x2: That statement can be interpreted a lot of ways. Could you elaborate? A cursory glance of their website and Wikipedia page doesn’t at all make it seem like “the left’s version of Breitbart”. NowThis seems more like bog standard political content geared to millennials.

Their own website isn't going to admit bias and Wikipedia editors are mostly liberal and aren't going to say much negative about them either.

You could look at this media bias website for an idea of how they are viewed.

This is what the same website said about Breitbart, in case you were wondering.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@ad1x2: That is a glorified blog and not a scientific source, so I am hesitant to take their word. NowThis website doesn’t need to “admit bias”, you can see bias and editorial slant by yourself by just looking through the website. And the website doesn’t seem any different than other similar leftwing internet-only sources for the social media age. Breitbart is a category all to itself.

Funnily enough that source also says Wikipedia is “Least Bias” and has highly factual reporting. Whereas you say they are “mostly liberal and aren’t going to say much negative about them either”. That’s quite a dilemma for you.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ad1x2

@leicam6 said:

@ad1x2: That is a glorified blog and not a scientific source, so I am hesitant to take their word.

Funnily enough that source also says Wikipedia is “Least Bias” and has highly factual reporting. Whereas you say they are “mostly liberal and aren’t going to say much negative about them either”. That’s quite a dilemma for you.

That's just one of many sources that will mention which way those two particular sources lean. As for Wikipedia, they are accurate most of the time, but when it comes to politically-charged articles there will usually be a left-leaning slant due to the types of editors on there. That doesn't mean the site as a whole is that way.

It's unlikely you will get too many people here denying that NowThis is extremely left-leaning.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@ad1x2: Eh, they don’t look any more left-leaning than places like Think Progress or Salon which, while both being pretty bad sources for a few reasons, are hardly far-left leaning. Maybe if you consider anything left of FOX News to automatically be “the left” I can sort of then understand it.

Anyway I thought the video was interesting because they were talking to actual Americans and asking them what they think. If you have links to similar videos I’d like to see them.

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joebones5000
Member since 2016 • 3223 Posts

We need socialized medicine, badly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

At this point I guess anything that doesn't walk on four legs and is capable of some basic form of thought is considered a liberal.

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 ulfrinn
Member since 2019 • 158 Posts

The only thing that video showed me is how ignorant many Americans are of American healthcare.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2726 Posts

"Took our cameras around NYC..."

NO thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I am incredibly skeptical of these video clips of interviews. They can be done in such as way as to make any group of people look incredibly stupid and ignorant.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49254 Posts

@leicam6 said:

@ad1x2: That is a glorified blog and not a scientific source, so I am hesitant to take their word. NowThis website doesn’t need to “admit bias”, you can see bias and editorial slant by yourself by just looking through the website. And the website doesn’t seem any different than other similar leftwing internet-only sources for the social media age. Breitbart is a category all to itself.

I think you're missing the point; NowThis caters to liberals, tells them what they want to hear, and skews what it presents.

Essentially everything is biased, the question is to what extent. NowThis is very left-leaning.

Additionally, it's not so much that they are telling you lies, but they are lying by omission; those people said what they said, but what did other people say that were not featured? It's easy to go out in the world and ask 100 people the same set of questions, and then choose to show the 20 that gave dumb answers instead of the 80 that gave halfway intelligent ones.

Stunts like this should be obvious to people with even a hint of intelligence or wisdom.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@mrbojangles25: I totally understand the point and you’d be correct if that video was all people giving stupid answers, which it isn’t. The answers are all pretty diverse. Maybe watch it and then comment?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ad1x2

@leicam6 said:

@mrbojangles25: I totally understand the point and you’d be correct if that video was all people giving stupid answers, which it isn’t. The answers are all pretty diverse. Maybe watch it and then comment?

You still aren’t getting the point. They are targeting answers that conform to the result that they want to push to their audience, and that doesn’t tell us what the people they didn’t show did. They may show one or two people that don’t say what they want to hear to make it appear there were diverse answes and have everyone else saying the message they want.

Chances are, if you go to New York, a pretty liberal city of over eight million people (AOC’s district is there, for example), you will not have a hard time finding people to say the message you want spread.

The same pushback would be received if you posted a video made by a right-leaning source about some pet project the right wants to push but instead of a left-leaning city like NYC they went to some extremely right-leaning community in what some people call flyover country. They would probably cut out the comments that don’t conform to their desired message too with the exception of maybe one or two to show the illusion of being unbiased.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@ad1x2: Do you have proof that “they are targeting answers that conform to the result that they want to push to their audience”? What is the targeted answer suppose to be if the responses in the video are quite diverse? You’re making all these claims but there’s no proof of anything.

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ulfrinn

@leicam6 said:

@ad1x2: Do you have proof that “they are targeting answers that conform to the result that they want to push to their audience”? What is the targeted answer suppose to be if the responses in the video are quite diverse? You’re making all these claims but there’s no proof of anything.

Dozens of people are asked and only the dumbest answers make the cut. And it isn't hard to phrase the question in a way that sounds scary in order to elicit the emotional response wanted. Penn and Teller did that when they got hundreds of people to sign a petition to ban water, simply by phrasing the question in a way that played on their ignorance of the matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@ulfrinn: Proof?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SUD123456  Online
Member since 2007 • 6006 Posts

@ulfrinn: Yah, maybe you should actually watch the video. Phrase the question in a way that sounds scary....LMAO.

There are many questions, none of them scary and the answers aren't dumb, with the possible exception of one lady who mostly doesn't seem to have a clue in general.

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ulfrinn

I was referring to the petition to ban water. You can phrase nearly any petition or poll in a manner that reinforces the beliefs of the person taking the poll. You can film a bunch of people answering a question and keep the responses you like to flesh out a narrative. This isn't new. But since you do not believe people actually do that, maybe we should believe all liberals think this way then? After all, a bunch of stupid answers were compiled into a video. Or do they only use clips of responses they like when it's somebody on the right who does it, but the left is always on the up and up?

Loading Video...

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4382 Posts

@ulfrinn said:

I was referring to the petition to ban water. You can phrase nearly any petition or poll in a manner that reinforces the beliefs of the person taking the poll. You can film a bunch of people answering a question and keep the responses you like to flesh out a narrative. This isn't new. But since you do not believe people actually do that, maybe we should believe all liberals think this way then? After all, a bunch of stupid answers were compiled into a video. Or do they only use clips of responses they like when it's somebody on the right who does it, but the left is always on the up and up?

Loading Video...

Polls and petitions are most of the time complete garbage. I agree with you on that.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@Xabiss said:
@ulfrinn said:

Loading Video...

Polls and petitions are most of the time complete garbage. I agree with you on that.

Authoritarians don't believe in studies that measure popular support, now THERE'S a surprise!

ulfrinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ulfrinn

@theone86 said:
@Xabiss said:
@ulfrinn said:

Loading Video...

Authoritarians don't believe in studies that measure popular support, now THERE'S a surprise!

Authoritarians do not use polls to measure public opinion. They use polls to influence it.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xabiss

@theone86 said:
@Xabiss said:
@ulfrinn said:

Loading Video...

Sorry I believe in constitutional republics. Again when you don't have an argument just make shit up. You have to be a liberal.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Xabiss
@ulfrinn said:
@theone86 said:
@Xabiss said:
@ulfrinn said:

Loading Video...

Authoritarians do not use polls to measure public opinion. They use polls to influence it.

BOOM!

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 theone86
@Xabiss said:
@theone86 said:
@Xabiss said:
@ulfrinn said:

Loading Video...

Sorry I believe in constitutional republics. Again when you don't have an argument just make shit up. You have to be a liberal.

You're accusing me of just making shit up, and yet you're bringing up constitutional republics in a discussion that has literally nothing to do with them. Oh wait, I get it, the old "we're a constitutional republic, so we don't have to pay attention to what the majority actually wants" card you conjobs so love playing. Here's a hint genius, being a constitutional republic does not mean the democratic process doesn't matter, nor does it mean that public opinion can just be ignored. Thinking that it does exposes how much of an authoritarian you are.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xabiss

@theone86 said:
@Xabiss said:
@theone86 said:
@Xabiss said:
@ulfrinn said:

Loading Video...

You're accusing me of just making shit up, and yet you're bringing up constitutional republics in a discussion that has literally nothing to do with them. Oh wait, I get it, the old "we're a constitutional republic, so we don't have to pay attention to what the majority actually wants" card you conjobs so love playing. Here's a hint genius, being a constitutional republic does not mean the democratic process doesn't matter, nor does it mean that public opinion can just be ignored. Thinking that it does exposes how much of an authoritarian you are.

RRRRRRRIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTTT! *Eyeroll*

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 35172 Posts

@ulfrinn said:
@leicam6 said:

Dozens of people are asked and only the dumbest answers make the cut. And it isn't hard to phrase the question in a way that sounds scary in order to elicit the emotional response wanted. Penn and Teller did that when they got hundreds of people to sign a petition to ban water, simply by phrasing the question in a way that played on their ignorance of the matter.

I have to ask if you watched the video? They all seemed like fairly intelligent people, even the people I disagreed with seemed like they understood what was being asked of them. None of the questions appeared to be "trick questions" for laughs, it was a very reasonable video and series of questions all things considered.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SUD123456  Online
Member since 2007 • 6006 Posts

@ulfrinn said:

Loading Video...

The fact that people can and do create all sorts of weird questioning and troll statements to get people to say stupid stuff is neither new and interesting information nor is it relevant to this particular thread.

No one would disagree that those things happen. But they aren't happening in this video, which you would know if you had actually watched it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

@SUD123456: @Serraph105: Yeah it’s disturbing how the posters who haven’t even watched the video are the ones criticizing. Almost like they are scared they’ll *shock* find something new from a “left-leaning” source.

I’m still waiting for @ad1x2 to show me proof “they are targeting answers that conform to the result that they want to push to their audience”. As well as what is the supposed targeted answer they are looking for.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theone86

@Xabiss said:
@theone86 said:
@Xabiss said:
@theone86 said:
@Xabiss said:

RRRRRRRIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTTT! *Eyeroll*

So you've got nothing? Which I guess is par for the course with you.

SirLeoTheLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34 SirLeoTheLion
Member since 2020 • 30 Posts

If socialized medicine is anything like the ACA, count me out. If my taxes are going to go up and/or I'm going to get bad coverage, count me out too. I'm uninsured and I'm glad the penalties are gone.

Only 6% of Americans are on that thing and it's 100% a waste of my money.