What are the odds of having two, one-term presidents in a row?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

So we are we're getting pretty close to six months of Biden's average polls being underwater and not that dissimilar from Trump's at the same time period if you look at RCP and 538, screenshots included below. You would have to go back to Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter to see two one term presidents in a row, but Ford wasn't the choice of the voters in the first place unlike this current example of one Trump term and one Biden. Looking back, there really isn't a recent example of voters choosing one party, switching in the next four years to the opposing party, and then swing back again in the next four, buuuut people really don't seem to care for Biden, regardless of what happens. Maybe Biden can turn it around for himself, maybe time will show that people are relatively neutral to vaguely positive of his more boring style of presidency, hell, maybe he will let Harris take over and choose not to run again (I doubt this one), but I'm not really counting on it. My gut says he will run again, and mostly thanks to gerrymandering, Biden will lose.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president-biden-job-approval-7320.html

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

@Serraph105: people have short memories. If covid is mostly gone by 2024(and with it 90% of the ancillary issues driving approval ratings) i don't think we will flip parties in the white house. It also depends on who runs on the republican ticket.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Serraph105

@Steppy_76 said:

@Serraph105: people have short memories. If covid is mostly gone by 2024(and with it 90% of the ancillary issues driving approval ratings) i don't think we will flip parties in the white house. It also depends on who runs on the republican ticket.

Trump will absolutely be running in the primaries, and unless something major changes, be on the ticket for republicans in the General.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23063 Posts

@Serraph105: Think so?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178880 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Trump will absolutely be running in the primaries, and unless something major changes, be on the ticket for republicans in the General.

I think some things will have caught up to him by then. Also the GOP doesn't really want him to be their candidate.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105

@mattbbpl: Yeah I really do. No one holds a grip on the GOP like Trump does, and that's after being impeached twice and doing things that should just be automatically disqualifying for anyone to become president.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#7 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts

I'd be surprised if Biden is able to complete one term. Lol

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7373 Posts

I'd say it's pretty likely. Biden won by hanging back and letting Trump defeat himself, and that strategy only works when you're not the one in charge.

He has a shot if COVID related problems calm down in the next few years, but even then, it will be an uphill battle. I even think Trump might have a chance.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

@judaspete: if covid is a thing of the past, he'll won easily. If not a win would be near impossible. There is more of a split in the republican party than conservatives want to admit. Go with Trump and they lose independents and the more center people in the party.... don't go with Trump and Trump will make sure you lose the magas. It is gonna be very interesting for sure.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Odds are better than they were a decade ago. The new landscape is one of politicization with very little wiggle room from approval floors to ceilings. Big deciders in 2024 will be COVID, the state of the economy (or sentiment at least), and how much more voter suppression the GOP is able to employ at the state level. It'll also be affected by the GOP nomination, which until otherwise, Trump is still the front runner.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58533 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Steppy_76 said:

I think some things will have caught up to him by then. Also the GOP doesn't really want him to be their candidate.

I agree, I think the "establishment" GOP doesn't want Trump and the cult-of-celebrity GOP that Trump spawned--the Taylor-Greene's, the Gaetz's, etc--in their party.

They see the way things are going and realize that their policies are unpopular. Trump was a band-aid solution and helped them out but they realize their issues go far deeper than that, and another Trump or Trump-like president is bad for them.

That's what I hope, at least.

@judaspete said:

I'd say it's pretty likely. Biden won by hanging back and letting Trump defeat himself, and that strategy only works when you're not the one in charge.

He has a shot if COVID related problems calm down in the next few years, but even then, it will be an uphill battle. I even think Trump might have a chance.

Biden's campaign was anything but passive. Keep in mind that Trump got more votes than any other president in history (other than Biden, of course).

Biden and the democrats campaigned very, very, very hard for that win. I think the Dems knows the stakes for 2024.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 729 Posts

Biden Will loose unless trump runs.

He is not in good enough health state to be the president.

Only trump can help biden wins like he did last time.

If he runs again he will mobilize all the anti trump crowd.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8404 Posts

Trump gets his 2nd term 2024. Unless he decides not to run, then it'll be whoever runs against Biden.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I think the fundamentals end up favouring Biden in 2024 assuming he runs again. I think he does noticeable better than 2020.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3878 Posts

@Steppy_76 said:

Joe Biden is suddenly not going to be cognitive and intelligent. He is only going to get worse. Covid are not his only problems he created which are affecting the public. Inflation, national crime wave, immigration, declaring parents terrorists, and energy independence. He is directly responsible for all of that except Covid. The people will not forget his mandates that cost people jobs. The same people who got the country through the pandemic when there was no vaccine. Right now 51% of Democrats do not want Joe Biden to run for president. It get even worse when you factor in indeppendents.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Joe Biden is suddenly not going to be cognitive and intelligent. He is only going to get worse. Covid are not his only problems he created which are affecting the public. Inflation, national crime wave, immigration, declaring parents terrorists, and energy independence. He is directly responsible for all of that except Covid. The people will not forget his mandates that cost people jobs. The same people who got the country through the pandemic when there was no vaccine. Right now 51% of Democrats do not want Joe Biden to run for president. It get even worse when you factor in indeppendents.

If you're complaining about cognition and intelligence then you boy trump is out.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3752 Posts

Next to zero. One thing the 2016 polling told us is that polling should not be used to determine the outcome of a presidential election, despite how accurate polling generally is, because when it comes down to it, people might not love Joe Biden, but they really don't like Donald Trump. Things can turn very fast.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3878 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@Steppy_76 said:

If you're complaining about cognition and intelligence then you boy trump is out.

Trump can come back, Joe Biden can't.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Serraph105
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Trump can come back, Joe Biden can't.

lol what does that even mean? That Trump lost his cognition and intelligence a long time ago, but you believe there may be a chance he can get it back so you're going to hope that he will and give him back control of an entire country?

There are other republican candidates that are sane that could feasibly be the president.

joementia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 joementia
Member since 2022 • 193 Posts

Stop electing 70+yo people to the highest office. I really hope 2024 isn't a contest between 2 candidates who are older than 98% of the population.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Warm_Gun  Online
Member since 2021 • 2503 Posts

They're all hated.

In an ideal world, we'd be seeing mass resignations. People can see they're all in it for themselves.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I think the chances are very high. Biden is far too old to run a second term.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127530 Posts

@warm_gun said:

They're all hated.

In an ideal world, we'd be seeing mass resignations. People can see they're all in it for themselves.

Why mass resignations? If people want better politicians, it starts at a local level.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Warm_Gun  Online
@horgen said:
@warm_gun said:

They're all hated.

Why mass resignations? If people want better politicians, it starts at a local level.

That's taking too long as well. Because, even though people are so dissatisfied with most of them, the mainstream media that is controlled by the same establishment that owns these politicians, hardly talks about the real rot in the system, the legal corruption, and makes the people think these are their best options. So they keep electing the same scum as they're made to believe true progressives are unrealistic choices. When we do get someone like that, there's a high chance they'll be bought anyway, an example being everyone over the last twenty years who ran on lowering drug prices and then did a 180 once they were in office.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator

@warm_gun said:

That's taking too long as well. Because, even though people are so dissatisfied with most of them, the mainstream media that is controlled by the same establishment that owns these politicians, hardly talks about the real rot in the system, the legal corruption, and makes the people think these are their best options. So they keep electing the same scum as they're made to believe true progressives are unrealistic choices. When we do get someone like that, there's a high chance they'll be bought anyway, an example being everyone over the last twenty years who ran on lowering drug prices and then did a 180 once they were in office.

American citizen have put themselves in a position where they will have it difficult to protest or show support for something, but again start at the local level. It will take time, it took a long time to dig this hole as deep as it is. It won't be fixed over night. AOC seems like she got her hearth in the right place, but that is only one politician. Find more politicians like her.

Also things can happen at higher levels as well. Isn't there a lot of talk about banning stock trading for people of congress and their spouses/anyone living under their roof too? That could help.

Also hopefully the SC won't work against the people.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@horgen said:
@warm_gun said:

American citizen have put themselves in a position where they will have it difficult to protest or show support for something, but again start at the local level. It will take time, it took a long time to dig this hole as deep as it is. It won't be fixed over night. AOC seems like she got her hearth in the right place, but that is only one politician. Find more politicians like her.

Also things can happen at higher levels as well. Isn't there a lot of talk about banning stock trading for people of congress and their spouses/anyone living under their roof too? That could help.

I don't think you were listening to him. Media pretty much dictates who even makes it to general elections. They have too much power to influence elections that go above and beyond any amount of funding. Do you really think Joe Biden was the best candidate available? Do you think the majority of Democrats wanted him over other options? No, but that's when the media comes out to attack his opponents, and prop him up as the only "electable" candidate up there. Sending the message that if Biden doesn't win the primary, Trump wins.

You can start local, but local will only ever remain local. State legislatures and the governor have way more influence over what happens to your county, city, and life as a whole than mayors and city legislatures are going to. Media ensures that any quality candidate you may find locally, remains local, and largely powerless.

AOC has her heart in the right place? Don't make me laugh. She's as corrupt, manipulative, and dishonest as the rest and a 5 minute investigation into her outside of leftwing media whitewashing would show you that. Taking photos outside an empty fence then claiming there were thousands of caged children behind it? Claiming some crazy rioter broke into her office screaming for her during 1/6? Didn't happen. Claimed she grew up poor in the ghetto while her father was actually a well off architect and they actually lived in the wealthy suburbs of Yorktown Heights?... Just another lie. Lies you believed because the media won't cover them.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eoten
@warm_gun said:
@horgen said:
@warm_gun said:

They're all hated.

Well, big pharma are the largest financial backers of legacy media and legacy media essentially picks and choose who is "electable" and therefor, who will win the primaries, it's pretty safe to say anyone who legitimately wants to do anything about the big pharma problem in this country will have zero chance to do it. Drug prices will not be lowered, and the only reason they want to pass some kind of national healthcare program is not to benefit the people, but to write big pharma a blank check paid for by the taxpayer.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LJS9502_basic
@eoten said:
@horgen said:

I don't think you were listening to him. Media pretty much dictates who even makes it to general elections. They have too much power to influence elections that go above and beyond any amount of funding. Do you really think Joe Biden was the best candidate available? Do you think the majority of Democrats wanted him over other options? No, but that's when the media comes out to attack his opponents, and prop him up as the only "electable" candidate up there. Sending the message that if Biden doesn't win the primary, Trump wins.

You can start local, but local will only ever remain local. State legislatures and the governor have way more influence over what happens to your county, city, and life as a whole than mayors and city legislatures are going to. Media ensures that any quality candidate you may find locally, remains local, and largely powerless.

AOC has her heart in the right place? Don't make me laugh. She's as corrupt, manipulative, and dishonest as the rest and a 5 minute investigation into her outside of leftwing media whitewashing would show you that. Taking photos outside an empty fence then claiming there were thousands of caged children behind it? Claiming some crazy rioter broke into her office screaming for her during 1/6? Didn't happen. Claimed she grew up poor in the ghetto while her father was actually a well off architect and they actually lived in the wealthy suburbs of Yorktown Heights?... Just another lie. Lies you believed because the media won't cover them.

Well TBF the media harping on emails a month before elections helped trump tremendously.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Eoten
@LJS9502_basic said:
@eoten said:
@horgen said:

Well TBF the media harping on emails a month before elections helped trump tremendously.

Did they harp on them? The emails were bigger news online. Media felt a need to pretend they were covering it honestly and ultimately white washed the vast majority of the contents of those emails. Ran with the story that it was just messages about her grand children and bullshit like that. Just like they're trying to bury a crime far bigger than Nixon's as we speak.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

@eoten said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Did they harp on them? The emails were bigger news online. Media felt a need to pretend they were covering it honestly and ultimately white washed the vast majority of the contents of those emails. Ran with the story that it was just messages about her grand children and bullshit like that. Just like they're trying to bury a crime far bigger than Nixon's as we speak.

Even though it was a non-story they brought it up. Are you playing victim?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen  Moderator

@eoten: Couple of recent elected Republicans would never have it this far if people took notice in their more local elections.

You’re some of those upset about AOC growing up in a house…?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Warm_Gun  Online
@horgen said:
@warm_gun said:

From what I understand/remember, AOC was going to hold a vote on some type of stock trading ban through an alternate channel and then Nancy Pelosi, alarmed, promised to hold a different vote for a similar bill that presumably won't be as harsh, so that AOC would back down. I'm simplifying a lot, but it seemed like a good maneuver.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Eoten

@horgen said:

@eoten: Couple of recent elected Republicans would never have it this far if people took notice in their more local elections.

You’re some of those upset about AOC growing up in a house…?

What the hell are you even talking about? She lied about her path, to garner sympathy, and collect votes. She's as dishonest and manipulative as anyone else in congress. You're only high on her BS like many others because the media refuse to call her on her bullshit, or cover anything about her without a clear skew.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

@warm_gun said:

From what I understand/remember, AOC was going to hold a vote on some type of stock trading ban through an alternate channel and then Nancy Pelosi, alarmed, promised to hold a different vote for a similar bill that presumably won't be as harsh, so that AOC would back down. I'm simplifying a lot, but it seemed like a good maneuver.

While stock trading should be stopped for Congress, AOC needs to work within the system. All fighting does is weaken the party and then we get more Republicans in Congress and from their behavior the last few years, we need less not more of them.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Warm_Gun  Online
@LJS9502_basic said:
@warm_gun said:

While stock trading should be stopped for Congress, AOC needs to work within the system. All fighting does is weaken the party and then we get more Republicans in Congress and from their behavior the last few years, we need less not more of them.

I disagree. If you don't play dirty once in a while, nothing gets done, because they're almost all corrupt. The majority of them want to keep doing insider trading.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

@warm_gun said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@warm_gun said:

I disagree. If you don't play dirty once in a while, nothing gets done, because they're almost all corrupt. The majority of them want to keep doing insider trading.

All she's doing is dividing the party which makes it easier for Republicans to win. Most Democrats are moderates FYI. Not progressives. You get the government you deserve.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Warm_Gun  Online
@LJS9502_basic said:
@warm_gun said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@warm_gun said:

All she's doing is dividing the party which makes it easier for Republicans to win. Most Democrats are moderates FYI. Not progressives. You get the government you deserve.

Why are you telling me most Dems are moderates? When did I imply most of them are progressives? All I was getting at is that they're not representing the will of the people who vote for them. The majority on both sides want insider trading banned. Even businesses have laws against that kind of stuff.

The Republicans will win anyway, because the Democrats are weak and ineffective. They should have put more pressure on Manchin and Sinema and not voted for the Infrastructure bill separately. The whole civility and decorum doesn't work when there are so many rotten apples.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@warm_gun said:

Why are you telling me most Dems are moderates? When did I imply most of them are progressives? All I was getting at is that they're not representing the will of the people who vote for them.

The Republicans will win anyway, because the Democrats are weak and ineffective. They should have put more pressure on Manchin and Sinema and not voted for the Infrastructure bill separately.

AOC wasn't voted in by the majority. If most Democrats are moderate, then she represents the minority of the party.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Warm_Gun  Online

Something like two thirds of Americans want insider trading banned. The majority on both sides. So yes, she does represent the majority on this.

You know Congress disproportionately represents corporations and billionaires over regular Americans.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

@warm_gun said:

Something like two thirds of Americans want insider trading banned. The majority on both sides. So yes, she does represent the majority on this.

You know Congress disproportionately represents corporations and billionaires over regular Americans.

I'm not talking about one specific issue.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

This is an interesting topic, not sure why it's not higher up?

OT: Who knows?!? lol, no one, I wager.

Regardless of who is running, one thing is for sure. It's the economy, stupid! If the economy is doing well -- the the incumbent president/party will have a better chance to win re-election. But it's not a guarantee.

If somehow the GOP can run a non-polarizing candidate. They're half-way there.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Serraph105

@shellcase86 said:

This is an interesting topic, not sure why it's not higher up?

OT: Who knows?!? lol, no one, I wager.

Regardless of who is running, one thing is for sure. It's the economy, stupid! If the economy is doing well -- the the incumbent president/party will have a better chance to win re-election. But it's not a guarantee.

If somehow the GOP can run a non-polarizing candidate. They're half-way there.

Well I did post it a month ago. Probably has a lot to do with it.

That said, it still seems like Trump is going to be the one running, and I sort of think he's the one guaranteed candidate that Biden can continue to win against.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4276 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer: I fell like that’s really a misnomer. He’ll be fine he’s surrounded by some of the smartest doctors the world has to offer.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#44 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts

Let's not necro bump old threads.

@outworld222: Oh, I know it's Weekend at the Bernie's at the White House with Biden. :P