Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By comp_atkins  Online
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

no.

However it did drop slightly yoy to 7.7%, slightly beating the expected 7.9% increase.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-prices-increase-less-than-expected-october-2022-11-10/

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@comp_atkins: MOM is really what you want to avoid lagging indicators. .4 total and .3 core gives trends of 4.8 and 3.6 YOY, although I need to see it continue for a few months.

New rent rates indicate that it's likely to, though. So good news!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

Here core inflation was 0.5 percentage points above expected for October, overall inflation was 1.5 percentage point above expectations. I hope it turns around here soon.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

No big deal, if folks can't afford stuff due to inflation, we can just print some more money to give to them!

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3739 Posts

@appariti0n: Nah, the solution is obviously to vote red so we can again give trillions more in tax cuts to big business and the rich, then pass the bill for it all on to everyone else. Cuz that always works so well...

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#6 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@appariti0n said:

No big deal, if folks can't afford stuff due to inflation, we can just print some more money to give to them!

Now you're thinking!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@tjandmia said:

@appariti0n: Nah, the solution is obviously to vote red so we can again give trillions more in tax cuts to big business and the rich, then pass the bill for it all on to everyone else. Cuz that always works so well...

Trickle down, which is almost always failure, will be a great idea during global inflation caused by a pandemic!

UK PM Liz Truss' 'trickle-down economics' is dead after U-turns (cnbc.com)

Oh wait.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins  Online
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

@appariti0n said:

no big deal, if folks can't afford stuff due to inflation, they'll stop buying it

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

Not only is the reported inflation around 8% and that is bad enough has average in a year is 2-3 but I think its really higher and we are being lied to because things just dont add up. When you hear how much things like used cars, gas, rent, etc have went up they are all above 8% so how is it really only 8% again?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@zeldabotw2 said:

Not only is the reported inflation around 8% and that is bad enough has average in a year is 2-3 but I think its really higher and we are being lied to because things just dont add up. When you hear how much things like used cars, gas, rent, etc have went up they are all above 8% so how is it really only 8% again?

Averages across a diverse basket of goods. It's a fairly simple concept that's fully transparent although there are some nuances in the figures (such as rents being a lagging indicator since it takes a full year, generally, for new rises or drops to be fully reflected - that's why you'll often see economists contrast the "new rents" figure with the generic "rents" figure).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@zeldabotw2 said:

Yeah I ask myself the same thing. Electricity dropped 99,9% over the last two weeks or so here. Yet inflation is close to 8%.