Washington Post Wins Pulitzer Prize for Russian Election Interference and Roy Moore Stories

• 69 results
#1 Edited by DrLostRib (3926 posts) -

The Washington Post has won two Pulitzer prizes this year for their reporting on two major stories

The Washington Post staff won the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting for revelations about U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore and shared the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for national reporting on Russia’s interference in the 2016 election

The prize for the Russian Election Interference was shared with the New York Times

But is it all fake?

#2 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30676 posts) -

Well deserves. The NY Times and The New Yorker won some as well.

#3 Posted by Maroxad (14722 posts) -

Roy Moore is a pretty damn long hanging fruit.

#4 Posted by VFighter (3179 posts) -

Bwahahahaha, wow.

#5 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163331 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

Roy Moore is a pretty damn long hanging fruit.

*low*

#6 Posted by ComeOnMan (82 posts) -

About as meaningful as Obama winning the Nobel peace prize.

Kind of like winning the election for student body president. Just proves you're the most popular in your class.

#7 Edited by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

@comeonman: @vfighter:

I'm not sure how you can respond with a WOW, WaPo is highly regarded and has won these awards before. A new fad started by Trump doesn't change reality.

But Can you tell me what why you specifically disagree when it comes to that reporting they won for?

And, who should have won instead and for what reporting? Hopefully not outlets who spun and lied about these stories (lol FOX).

#8 Posted by Horgen (117435 posts) -

Congrats to them.

#9 Posted by N64DD (9624 posts) -

@comeonman said:

Kind of like winning the election for student body president. Just proves you're the most popular in your class.

Amen.

#10 Posted by DrLostRib (3926 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@comeonman said:

Amen.

What was wrong with them winning a Pulitzer?

#11 Posted by DaBrainz (7930 posts) -

Any chance that the people choosing the winners also work for WaPo and NYT? Answer: Yep!

#12 Posted by Horgen (117435 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

Any chance that the people choosing the winners also work for WaPo and NYT? Answer: Yep!

If one or two persons manage to convince the rest, then all respect to them.

#13 Posted by N64DD (9624 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@n64dd said:
@comeonman said:

Amen.

They didn't deserve it?

#14 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30676 posts) -

@DaBrainz: Pulitzer is handed out by Columbia University.

#15 Posted by DaBrainz (7930 posts) -

@perfect_blue: Administered by Columbia. The board is made up of "journalists" in the industry. The only reason I follow this is because the board chair is a loony that is on MSNBC all the time and writes loony OP-EDs in WaPo. The award is essentially a bunch of extreme lefties patting each others backs.

#16 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30676 posts) -

@DaBrainz: Who are some right-leaning journalists or publications that would be worthy of such an award, then? If you have issues with the recipients surely it’s because you believe someone out there is more worthy of it.

#17 Posted by DaBrainz (7930 posts) -

@perfect_blue: Of course WaPo deserved to win I never said they didn't. I just wanted to point out that this isn't as prestigious of an award as some people think. WaPo won the circle jerk. Congrats!

#18 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30676 posts) -

@DaBrainz: What is a more prestigious award for journalism?

#19 Posted by DaBrainz (7930 posts) -

@perfect_blue: How should I know? I was only writing about the Pulitzer. It can be criticized on its own merits can it not? What part do you disagree with?

#20 Posted by TryIt (5651 posts) -

not hard to do when the White House leaks like it has a broken main.

and for those who dont know The Washington Post is the organization that has always had the closest access to the White House, so they clearly would get all the leaks first.

#21 Edited by Perfect_Blue (30676 posts) -

@DaBrainz: You said yourself it “isn’t as prestigious an award as some people think”, so I figured you must have been comparing it to something or had another award in mind, in order to speak in relative terms.

Frankly it’s evident you don’t actually know what you are talking about lol. The Pulitzer is only the most prestigious award in Journalism and in the United States. I’m sorry those mean libruls have offended you again. :(

#22 Edited by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

@perfect_blue: Administered by Columbia. The board is made up of "journalists" in the industry. The only reason I follow this is because the board chair is a loony that is on MSNBC all the time and writes loony OP-EDs in WaPo. The award is essentially a bunch of extreme lefties patting each others backs.

Agreed.

Breitbart should have won for attempting to spike the Moore story by sending fake journalists to Alabama and plant actors to WaPo. True journalism.

or Fox's hard hitting Seth Rich reporting.

#23 Edited by N64DD (9624 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@DaBrainz: You said yourself it “isn’t as prestigious an award as some people think”, so I figured you must have been comparing it to something or had another award in mind, in order to speak in relative terms.

Frankly it’s evident you don’t actually know what you are talking about lol. The Pulitzer is only the most prestigious award in Journalism and in the United States. I’m sorry those mean libruls have offended you again. :(

yay! I voted myself! prestige!

#24 Posted by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

What part do you disagree with?

What story that gave them a Pulitzer do you disagree with? Cite how the reports are incorrect.

#25 Posted by DaBrainz (7930 posts) -

@perfect_blue: Nice comeback. You didn't even know who picked the award 4 posts ago. But I don't what I'm talking about. Gotcha.

#26 Posted by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:

yay! I voted myself! prestige!

Uhh...so it's like the Oscars.

#27 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30676 posts) -

@n64dd: This criticism makes no sense. Who else would judge a journalism award if not journalists? Scientists judge science awards, etc.

#28 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30676 posts) -

@DaBrainz: How do you figure? I said handed out by Columbia, I made no mention on who “picked it”.

Even you managed to figure out a journalism award is handed out by *gasp* other journalists! Shall we start asking Joe Random on a street to be a judge instead?

#29 Edited by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

Lmao all of a sudden putlizers suck because of Trumps shitty "fake news" meme.

Sigh Trump fans. Bottom of the barrel.

#30 Edited by mrbojangles25 (40623 posts) -

Good for them, they certainly deserve it.

Would be nice to see the same integrity in conservative outlets. I'd love to be able to get my news from multiple, credible sources on both sides of the spectrum, but unfortunately conservative outlets are as laughable as The Onion (not really, The Onion is actually funny...).

I feel like "liberal bias" cries from the right are more or less a self-fulfilling prophecy; if you don't want such a huge bias, maybe do some serious news and don't be a bunch of Trump sycophants with your noses way, way, waaaaaay up the president's ass. You can still be conservative and objectively critical of a Republican president; just look at all the Republicans in Congress badmouthing Trump.

@Maroxad said:

Roy Moore is a pretty damn longlow hanging fruit.

Right, but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone picks it. Even if it was an "easy" article to write, publishing it is another story.

I imagine Trump sleeping with women not his wife is a low-hanging fruit as well, but the National Enquirer didn't publish it; quite the opposite, they buried it.

#31 Posted by DaBrainz (7930 posts) -

@zaryia: You keep on making posts with counter arguments to arguments that literally no one has made. Why?

#32 Posted by comp_atkins (34794 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@n64dd: This criticism makes no sense. Who else would judge a journalism award if not journalists? Scientists judge science awards, etc.

everything should just be a people's choice award.

#33 Posted by DaBrainz (7930 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@DaBrainz: How do you figure? I said handed out by Columbia, I made no mention on who “picked it”.

Even you managed to figure out a journalism award is handed out by *gasp* other journalists! Shall we start asking Joe Random on a street to be a judge instead?

Yes

#34 Posted by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

@zaryia: You keep on making posts with counter arguments to arguments that literally no one has made. Why?

So you don't have an issue with the articles WaPo and NYT actually won for? So whats the problem?

#35 Posted by DaBrainz (7930 posts) -

@zaryia: I never wrote there was problem. I just pointed out its a left wing circle jerk and the people handing out the awards work for the organizations receiving the awards. Its a factual statement.

#36 Posted by DrLostRib (3926 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@drlostrib said:
@n64dd said:
@comeonman said:

Amen.

They didn't deserve it?

why not?

#37 Posted by Jacanuk (13288 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

The Washington Post has won two Pulitzer prizes this year for their reporting on two major stories

The Washington Post staff won the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting for revelations about U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore and shared the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for national reporting on Russia’s interference in the 2016 election

The prize for the Russian Election Interference was shared with the New York Times

But is it all fake?

ROFL what a joke.

Washout Post is the biggest hack newspaper in America.

#38 Edited by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

@zaryia: I never wrote there was problem. I just pointed out its a left wing circle jerk and the people handing out the awards work for the organizations receiving the awards. Its a factual statement.

It's your opinion that this lessens the award itself. Much like the Oscars also use people from the actual industry.

Also, if it wasn't a "left wing circle jerk", what conservative papers would win?

#39 Posted by N64DD (9624 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@DaBrainz said:

It's your opinion that this lessens the award itself. Much like the Oscars also use people from the actual industry.

Also, if it wasn't a "left wing circle jerk", what conservative papers would win?

yes.

#40 Posted by DrLostRib (3926 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

But is it all fake?

ROFL what a joke.

why is that?

#41 Posted by Jacanuk (13288 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

But is it all fake?

ROFL what a joke.

why is that?

Look up Forbes´s story on the "hacks" reported by Washout Post.

#42 Edited by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

But is it all fake?

ROFL what a joke.

why is that?

So 1 slightly inaccurate story they quickly edited to be more accurate shows they are hacks and suck?Hardly. Also it was recently confirmed again, Russia did breach our energy grid. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/15/dhs-fbi-russia-hackers-targeted-energy-grid-813745

So glad they won this prize. Deserved. Amazing news paper. Amazing investigative journalism. Highly trusted, very high facts rating.

#43 Posted by ComeOnMan (82 posts) -

@zaryia said:

@comeonman: @vfighter:

I'm not sure how you can respond with a WOW, WaPo is highly regarded and has won these awards before. A new fad started by Trump doesn't change reality.

But Can you tell me what why you specifically disagree when it comes to that reporting they won for?

And, who should have won instead and for what reporting? Hopefully not outlets who spun and lied about these stories (lol FOX).

I have no disagreement with WaPo winning the award. I just said it ranks right up there with winning the election for student body president. Its a popularity contest. The winner(s) neither gain nor lose any stature in my eyes.

Just one man's opinion.

#44 Posted by Jacanuk (13288 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

But is it all fake?

ROFL what a joke.

why is that?

So 1 slightly inaccurate story they quickly edited to be more accurate shows they are hacks and suck?Hardly. Also it was recently confirmed again, Russia did breach our energy grid. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/15/dhs-fbi-russia-hackers-targeted-energy-grid-813745

So glad they won this prize. Deserved. Amazing news paper. Amazing investigative journalism. Highly trusted, very high facts rating.

Quickly? lol it was not "edited" it was removed when the Forbes reporters caught them in the act and in under 2mins proved their story was shit and fake.

But no surprise your side is happy Washout won.

#45 Edited by Zaryia (3908 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

why is that?

Quickly? lol it was not "edited" it was removed when the Forbes reporters caught them in the act and in under 2mins proved their story was shit and fake.

1. It was quickly retracted and edited. ONE story, which was later revealed to be as big as they initially thought 1 year later. You're reaching so hard to make a prestigious and world renown paper look like it's Breitbart or something but that factually will never be the case.

2. My side? I'm an independent. I'm happy they won because they are very good. WaPo is highly trusted in general. You're only doing this due to Trump's shitty meme. That's literally the only reason. You're being persuaded by that stupid oaf, that says a lot about you.

#46 Edited by joebones5000 (1742 posts) -

I see that the conservatives are a little bit upset that the Washington Post is a respected newspaper. Awwwww. To bad.

#47 Posted by DrLostRib (3926 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

why is that?

how does that make them the biggest "hack newspaper"? who should have won?

#48 Posted by Jacanuk (13288 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

why is that?

Fake stories about Russian hackers is not enough?

A story btw that gotten disproved by a 2min phonecall

#49 Posted by DrLostRib (3926 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:

I don't think anyone would make the case that the Washington Post or any news outlet hasn't made mistakes, but how does that make them the "biggest hack newspaper"? and they did correct and amend the story. And does it discredit the stories that did win?

#50 Posted by Jacanuk (13288 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:

I don't think anyone would make the case that the Washington Post or any news outlet hasn't made mistakes, but how does that make them the "biggest hack newspaper"? and they did correct and amend the story. And does it discredit the stories that did win?

Of course, it does, it´s not the only story

And when the story got blown by a simple 2min phone call, it´s clear that the WashOut post deliberately turned the story into something big to sell newspapers.