Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/philando-castile-trial-verdict/index.html

Even conservatives are shocked that the cop was found not guilty in this shooting.

Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMKcWz5nNoM

Another video,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/06/21/what-the-police-officer-who-shot-philando-castile-said-about-the-shooting/?utm_term=.373fb46c0e88

Shot a couple seconds after complying with the officer

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mercenary848

Personally I feel like these continued incidents of harmless/unarmed individuals being shot while complying with the police and the cops being found not guilty, only brew more bad blood between police and everyday citizens. It does not help that the bootlickers rush to the defense of the police without actually paying attention to the scenario. Another day in Americas screwed criminal justice system.

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

Personally I feel like these continued incidents of harmless/unarmed individuals being shot while complying with the police and the cops being found not guilty, only brew more bad blood between police and everyday citizens. It does not help that the bootlickers rush to the defense of the police without actually paying attention to the scenario. Another day in Americas screwed criminal justice system.

Its extremely rare for a cop to be found guilty. To the point that you need at least 6 women to accuse you of rape for it to be taken seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

The justice system fails again.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mercenary848

@doomdizzle said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Its extremely rare for a cop to be found guilty. To the point that you need at least 6 women to accuse you of rape for it to be taken seriously.

Jeez, and people get mad at athletes for not saying the stupid pledge.

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@doomdizzle said:
@Mercenary848 said:

Jeez, and people get mad at athletes for not saying the stupid pledge.

That whole pledge thing is pretty crazy. Like you can run over people with your car, have a dog fighting ring, beat your wife, beat random people trying to stop you from beating your wife, and still play in the NFL. You don't stand for the pledge though? All of a sudden you're too much of a risk to sign. Go figure.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mercenary848

@toast_burner said:

The thing that gets me is those people who are so anti establishment, so all lives matter, so pro gun rights....are quieter then a mouse fart in this kind of situation.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@toast_burner said:

Would you comment on the testimony given in the courtroom?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Solaryellow said:
@toast_burner said:

Would you comment on the testimony given in the courtroom?

Since when was being paranoid and under stress an excuse for killing someone?

He handled the situation appallingly which then led to someones death. If your failure of doing your job properly causes someone to die, then it's manslaughter.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Solaryellow

@toast_burner said:

He handled the situation appallingly which then led to someones death. If your failure of doing your job properly causes someone to die, then it's manslaughter.

All I am asking is whether or not you will comment on what was said in court. I say that because (whether one agrees or disagrees with the verdict) testimony was offered beyond the video and one might need all pieces of the puzzle in order to come to a reasonable and objective decision.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Solaryellow said:
@toast_burner said:

All I am asking is whether or not you will comment on what was said in court. I say that because (whether one agrees or disagrees with the verdict) testimony was offered beyond the video and one might need all pieces of the puzzle in order to come to a reasonable and objective decision.

What he said contradicts the facts (the gun was still holstered despite him saying he saw him remove it). But he was "justified" because he felt threatened rather than actually being threatened and that the things he saw was attributed to stress.

So how exactly is he not in the wrong?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@toast_burner said:

The thing that gets me is those people who are so anti establishment, so all lives matter, so pro gun rights....are quieter then a mouse fart in this kind of situation.

You said in your OP that even conservatives are surprised. :/

Saw the video, shit sucked. Wish I didn't see it. I mean, I see why he got away with it since you really only have that video and what he thought was happening. But still. That shit is harsh.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chutebox

@toast_burner said:
@Solaryellow said:
@toast_burner said:

What he said contradicts the facts (the gun was still holstered despite him saying he saw him remove it). But he was "justified" because he felt threatened rather than actually being threatened and that the things he saw was attributed to stress.

You sure he said that? I remember him saying he thought he was reaching for his gun.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Gun ownership is for white people and their fantasies of overthrowing tyranny.

It's sad to hear that justice isn't served but it's no longer surprising.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mercenary848

@Chutebox said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@toast_burner said:

You said in your OP that even conservatives are surprised. :/

Saw the video, shit sucked. Wish I didn't see it. I mean, I see why he got away with it since you really only have that video and what he thought was happening. But still. That shit is harsh.

Just two or three that I know. Most of them only complain about people who complain.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox
@drunk_pi said:

Lord...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@drunk_pi said:

Lord...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox

@perfect_blue: Oh cool, one person. I mean, it's not to protect ourselves or anything. I hate guns as much as anyone, but your comment is ridiculous.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mercenary848

@Chutebox: You are coming off as really dim in this thread bro

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox

@Mercenary848 said:

@Chutebox: You are coming off as really dim in this thread bro

How so? Because you don't agree with me?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

Bahahahaha.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Trevor Noah and The Daily Show had a very poignant remark on this subject in between the regular segments of the show:

Loading Video...

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

Can you not be racist or have a meltdown for one day?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The American justice system is pretty fucked-up. If shit like this happened in any other civilized developed country, he would be behind bars for manslaughter.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

Trevor Noah and The Daily Show had a very poignant remark on this subject in between the regular segments of the show:

Loading Video...

And another segment:

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@toast_burner said:

Ahh i'm so glad we have your expert legal mind here, so we all can be told what is right and wrong.

If anything this confirms the justice system works and don´t work on leftist bias against the cops.

I am confident enough in the justice system to know that the jury heard and formed a verdict based on all the actual evidence and not just a short video that do not show the whole story. especially when they spent 27 hours deliberating .

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@toast_burner said:

You were in court? Honestly that video looks bad.....but as far as the justice system goes we have to see what case was presented in court. It's a shame that is for sure that someone lost their life.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Why is everyone automatically jumping to conclusion as to what happened? You can't tell what the hell the guy was doing in the car. He informed the cop he was carrying a firearm, and if he took his hands out of sight or even innocently reached for his wallet, how was the cop supposed to know what he was going for? I would think he'd be in his right to implement deadly force in such a situation, even if the guy's actions were innocent in nature.

If I had a CCW license and told a cop I was armed, I'd have my hands glued to the steering wheel in plain sight and wouldn't move an inch until I got permission from the officer on exactly what movements to make.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

It's heartbreaking seeing the daughter comfort the mother while in the police car.
"It's okay I'm right here with you".
"I wish this town was safer".

Christ sakes.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mercenary848

@MirkoS77 said:

Why is everyone automatically jumping to conclusion as to what happened? You can't tell what the hell the guy was doing in the car. He informed the cop he was carrying a firearm, and if he took his hands out of sight or even innocently reached for his wallet, how was the cop supposed to know what he was going for? I would think he'd be in his right to implement deadly force in such a situation, even if the guy's actions were innocent in nature.

If I had a CCW license and told a cop I was armed, I'd have my hands glued to the steering wheel in plain sight and wouldn't move an inch until I got permission from the officer on exactly what movements to make.

You dont know all the details. He only took his hands off the wheel because the cop told him to get his proof of insurance. Its standard practice that you inform the officer if you have a gun in the car. He was complient, told the officer "I am reaching for my insurance" when he was asked and then bang.

Edit: Actually he was reaching for his license which he instructed the officer. The police officer was extremely nervous from the get go and had the baseless feeling that philandro was a robbery suspect(well thats what he told the judge).

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:

Ahh i'm so glad we have your expert legal mind here, so we all can be told what is right and wrong.

If anything this confirms the justice system works and don´t work on leftist bias against the cops.

I am confident enough in the justice system to know that the jury heard and formed a verdict based on all the actual evidence and not just a short video that do not show the whole story. especially when they spent 27 hours deliberating .

What a sucker.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

You dont know all the details. He only took his hands off the wheel because the cop told him to get his proof of insurance. Its standard practice that you inform the officer if you have a gun in the car. He was complient, told the officer "I am reaching for my insurance" when he was asked and then bang.

Edit: Actually he was reaching for his license which he instructed the officer. The police officer was extremely nervous from the get go and had the baseless feeling that philandro was a robbery suspect(well thats what he told the judge).

Actually he should have had him exit the car and frisked him to remove the gun. He shouldn't be a cop though. I can't say whether he should be convicted or not though. That tape is inflammatory but it's only a bit of the incident. We really can't see inside the car. As I said....unfortunate all the way around.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mercenary848
@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@toast_burner said:

What a sucker.

Honestly dude, as long as there are people like them who ilive in lalala land where the police are always right; then evveryone is screwed.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MirkoS77

@Mercenary848: we don't know all the details sure, but in such a situation you don't tell the cop you're doing anything. You ask them, and then ask them how they would you to proceed to the letter. From what I've read, the driver exercised poor judgement in making a move quickly and the officer was overly ancy. Obviously it escalated very fast but from the footage it didn't appear this driver was being extremely cautious.

If a cop pulled me over while armed I'd literally be stiff as a statue while talking to them. You'd be foolish to make any moves without explicit understanding between both parties as to precisely what will be done.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mercenary848

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Mercenary848 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Actually he should have had him exit the car and frisked him to remove the gun. He shouldn't be a cop though. I can't say whether he should be convicted or not though. That tape is inflammatory but it's only a bit of the incident. We really can't see inside the car. As I said....unfortunate all the way around.

I agree, I really think this whole stop was a recipe for disaster at the start. I am on the siide of conviction, but I tthink we both can agree the officer lost control of the situation.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mercenary848

@MirkoS77 said:

@Mercenary848: we don't know all the details sure, but in such a situation you don't tell the cop you're doing anything. You ask them, and then ask them how they would you to proceed to the letter. From what I've read, the driver exercised poor judgement in making a move quickly and the officer was overly ancy. Obviously it escalated very fast but from the footage it didn't appear this driver was being extremely cautious.

If a cop pulled me over while armed I'd literally be stiff as a statue while talking to them. You'd be foolish to make any moves without explicit understanding between both parties as to precisely what will be done.

The details are out there, you can easily look up the prosecutors report; and it was verified that the victim was following instructions.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MirkoS77

@Mercenary848: do you have a link? One for the defense as well? I'd like to read both sides of the story.

What were the findings?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mercenary848

@MirkoS77 said:

@Mercenary848: do you have a link?

What were the findings?

http://www.twincities.com/2016/11/16/philando-castile-shooting-officer-jeronimo-yanez-will-be-charged-ramsey-county/

key points from prosecutions findings

• "Philando Castile was not resisting or fleeing."
  • "There was absolutely no criminal intent exhibited by him throughout this encounter."
  • "He was respectful and compliant based upon the instructions and orders he was given."
  • "He volunteered in good faith that he had a firearm -- beyond what the law requires."
  • "He emphatically stated that he wasn’t pulling it out."
  • "His movement was restricted by his own seat belt."
  • "He was accompanied, in his vehicle, by a woman and a young child."
  • "Philando Castile did not exhibit any intent, nor did he have any reason, to shoot Officer Yanez."
  • "In fact, his dying words were in protest that he wasn’t reaching for his gun

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Solaryellow

@toast_burner said:
@Solaryellow said:

Being that I am unaware of everything said in court (rather than just a video) I can not and have not declared him as being guilty or not guilty. What I do realize is testimony was offered that did not support a conviction. Some people here make decisions while being unaware of all of the facts.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Another video

In matter of seconds after letting the officer knowing he has a gun, he is shot.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mercenary848

@horgen: Good find, I couldnt find a better one. I will add your post to the OP

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MirkoS77

@Mercenary848: this is framed as if it's outright murder. Do you have the cop's and defense's side?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mercenary848

@MirkoS77: The cops main defense points were he thought philandro was a suspect in a robbery that happened earlier due to the shape of his nose(which is why the officer was nervous from the start), Tge rest is just typical excuses that law enforcement officers use, that he had a slight feeling that he was possibly in danger because the person being stopped had a gun.

No matter how you look at it, the suspect was following the rules. Moving when told, informing the officer of his weapon, etc. I can understand the cops anxiety about dealing with a suspect with a gun, but that is our second amendment right to carry. The officer should have asked him to step out the vehicle and surrender his weapon, and then conduct the procedure accordingly.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MirkoS77

@Mercenary848: that makes little sense. If he believed the guy was a burglary suspect, he would not have approached the car so casually. I'd think he'd draw his firearm and remain behind his police car door, instructing him to get out.

EDIT: nevermind, thought he had vehicle descriptions.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chutebox

Man that video is sad

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mercenary848

@MirkoS77: That's what I'm saying, the cop came up with a bs reason to say he thought he was dangerous. "Oh I thought he looked like a burglary suspect" after you pulled him over for a busted tail light and approached him casually. The cop became aggressive(put hands on his weapon holster), when philandro told him he had a weapon and ccw(which is the correct thing to do when pulled over)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MirkoS77

@Mercenary848 said:

@MirkoS77: That's what I'm saying, the cop came up with a bs reason to say he thought he was dangerous. "Oh I thought he looked like a burglary suspect" after you pulled him over for a busted tail light and approached him casually. The cop became aggressive(put hands on his weapon holster), when philandro told him he had a weapon and ccw(which is the correct thing to do when pulled over)

I just don't buy into the whole underlying implication that this officer desired to kill this man. This is an unfortunate incident, perhaps he used excessive force but it's very easy to armchair this when none of us were there. What he should of done was told his wife to record the cop as he approached.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#48 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

The cop is at fault in my opinion so this isn't intended as victim blaming but how are people still so careless about the police in the US knowing they are trigger happy? Heck, if I as walking around with a gun (which I wouldn't; I hate guns!), a cop asked for my ID and I said "Sure, it's right here in my backpack next to my gun", unless directly instructed by the cop to still get it myself, nothing would make me put my hand inside that backpack...I'm not insane...Sure, I'd get shot in the face and people would say it's the cop's fault but I'd still be dead so what good would that do me?

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I think the officer should atleast be fired clearly he doesn't have the heart for the job. Jittery nerves have no place in law enforcement

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I think we need to find some common ground that police having too much unilateral power and not being held accountable is bad for everyone. The current decisive narrative about this being only about race needs to change especially since those conveying this narrative are often bad people and it's hard for some to take sides with bad people.