Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

This is crazy!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45073385

Venezuelan officials say explosive drones went off as President Nicolás Maduro was giving a live televised speech in Caracas, but he is unharmed.

Communications Minister Jorge Rodriguez said this was an attempt on Mr Maduro's life and seven soldiers were injured.

Mr Maduro was seen speaking at an outdoor military event when he and other officials suddenly looked upwards - startled. The audio then cut off.

Dozens of soldiers were seen running away before the broadcast was halted.

Loud bangs could also be heard in the footage.

What do officials say happened?

Mr Rodriguez said the attack happened when Mr Maduro was speaking at the event to mark the 81st anniversary of the Venezuelan army.

Two drones loaded with explosives went off near the president's stand, he added.

The minister accused the country's right-wing opposition of carrying out the attack.

"After losing the vote, they failed again," Mr Rodriguez said.

He was referring to May's presidential elections, where Mr Maduro was re-elected for another six-year term.

• Maduro wins second term amid claims of vote rigging

Mr Rodriguez also said that the injured soldiers were being treated in hospitals while the president was meeting his ministers and military commanders.

No group has said it was behind the alleged assassination attempt.

In June 2017, a helicopter attacked and dropped grenades on Venezuela's Supreme Court.

Oscar Pérez, a rogue elite helicopter pilot, claimed he carried out the helicopter attack and called on Venezuelans to rise up against the government of President Maduro.

He was killed by police in a siege near Caracas in January.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4204 Posts

Wow. How come this world is so crazy. Is the world insane or something?? :(

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@outworld222: I don’t know much about the leader that was targeted, but it’s going to put the world on alert if it was a terrorist group.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

Great, I’ve been running out of ideas for my Mavic.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Color me skeptical.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

This seems fishy and as the opposition points out

"However, Hasler Inglesias, a youth leader with the opposition Voluntad Popular Party, told the BBC: "It's hard to believe that the opposition is going to make an attempt when they have never made an attempt in this way in 20 years."

It seems strange and could be as the US says a ploy from the president himself like in Turkey to strengthen his own position.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

See how long before they show up with a list with 50.000 names on it like in Turkey hours after the attack. Of course it was staged, just like in Turkey. Saw a close up of him when it happened, he didn't even flich when people, like his wife, almost shit their pants.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Color me skeptical.

Same. I'm suspicious that this is some contrived attack to be used by Maduro's government to round up and eliminate the opposition. Kind of like what the turkish president did to solidify his political position.