Utah Elections: One House seat flipped blue as Ben McAdams FINALLY defeats Mia Love in District 04

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

USA Today

On the morning after Election Day, President Donald Trump chided U.S. Rep. Mia Love for losing her re-election bid in reliably red Utah.

She hadn't lost — yet. That only became official on Tuesday.

The first black Republican woman elected to Congress in 2015, Love lost her bid for a third term by less than 700 votes against Salt County County Mayor Ben McAdams, adding to the Democratic majority in the U.S. House of Representatives come January.

“This race was about connecting with Utah,” McAdams said while declaring victory on Monday night before the final results were posted by the state. “This race was about who was best positioned to serve Utah and working to not get it caught up in a national, partisan election.”

The race had remained too close to call for The Associated Press for two weeks. State election officials are scheduled to certify results on Monday.

In a statement on Tuesday, Love said she planned to call McAdams but didn’t indicate if she would concede or congratulate him. She said she’s traveling with family for Thanksgiving and won’t speak about the race until Monday.

“Regardless of how you voted, I want to express my sincere appreciation to you for engaging in the process,” Love said. “It is one of many reasons this is the greatest country on earth.”

Love was among House Republicans targeted in the hours after the midterms by Trump, who suggested their defeats were at least in part because of their refusal to embrace his presidency.

"Mia Love gave me no love," Trump said. "And she lost. Too bad. Sorry about that, Mia."

This is the second time Love has narrowly lost a bid for Congress. In her first run in 2012, Love lost to incumbent Democrat Jim Matheson by 768 votes. She went on to defeat Democratic challenger Doug Owens in 2014 and again in 2016.

McAdams pitched himself as a solid moderate, a strategy aimed at independent voters who account for nearly four in 10 voters in the largely suburban Salt Lake City district and designed to overcome his built-in disadvantage in a district where registered Republicans outnumber Democrats by nearly 3-to-1.

Though solidly conservative, Utah voters have long been uncomfortable with Trump’s brash style and his comments about women and immigrants. That anxiety is especially pronounced in the suburbs of blue-leaning Salt Lake City, and McAdams’ mayor position gave him solid name recognition with voters.

With McAdams' victory, Democrats have flipped nearly 40 seats — including all seven in Orange County, California, once a GOP stronghold — to win control of the U.S. House.

I'd never thought I'd give Trump any form of credit, but damn. He, perhaps unwittingly, predicted McAdams had it in this tight race.

Oh, and you gotta love The Hill's choice in pic in announcing the winner on their twitter:

McAdams isn't the only Utah Democrat to enjoy a victory this last election. From ballotpedia in the Utah House of Representatives, despite it's Republican lead:

District 18 - Adam Alba

District 23 - Sandra Hollins

District 24 - Jen Dailey-Provost

District 25 - Joel Briscoe

District 26 - Angela Romero

District 28 - Brian King

District 31 - Elizabeth Weight

District 32 - Suzanne Harrison

District 34 - Karen Kwan

District 35 - Mark Wheatley

District 36 - Patrice Arent

District 37 - Carol Moss

District 40 - Stephanie Pitcher

District 44 - Andrew Stoddard

District 46 - Marie Poulson

In other election news, Proposition 2, which involves legalization of medicinal marijuana, Proposition 3, which is a Medicaid expansion, and Proposition 4, which involves independent redistricting of votes (which is an anti-gerrymandering step) are voted in a FOR majority. (Source: NYT)

Apologies for the wall of text, but thoughts? Nice to see the other side fight in an otherwise deep-red state.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Congrats on her win! Hopefully she does some good work!

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Utah definitely needed a change, and I hope she does a good job of ushering it in.

Too bad more states, like the one I live in, in the bible belt are so slow to progress. In so many ways we are decades behind most of the rest of country.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@n64dd: ...read that artical ..agein slowly.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@Lach0121: Dude...the woman lost in this one. Mcadams, who is male, won.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@n64dd said:

Congrats on her win! Hopefully she does some good work!

Um, Mia lost the election.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

@dreman999: I didn't mean to type she, that was intended to read "he."

I just didn't proof read my comment this time before I hit submit.

Dude.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@dreman999 said:

@n64dd: ...read that artical ..agein slowly.

Hahah I just grazed over it.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

@n64dd: The "s" and "h" are nowhere close on the keyboard. Can't be a typo :)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

With this.. How is the House divided among Reps and Dems now?

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Wow, sixteen democrats won in Utah. Is this foreshadowing? Is something going to happen?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@horgen: essentially the same. A slightly larger buffer.

With 400+ house seats, an additional seat here or there above the majority makes a limited difference. The marginal impact is greater in the Senate.