UPDATE! Accused for sexual assault Franken calls for ethics investigation of himself.

• 116 results
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/360656-woman-accuses-al-franken-of-kissing-groping-her-without-consent

A TV host and sports broadcaster on Thursday accused Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) of kissing and groping her without her consent in 2006.

Leeann Tweeden accused Franken of groping her, without her consent, while she was asleep and provided a photo as evidence.

The incident happened in December 2006, she said, when she and Franken, then a comedian, were on a USO Tour to "entertain our troops."

Franken in a statement apologized for his actions.

"It wasn’t until I was back in the U.S. and looking through the CD of photos we were given by the photographer that I saw this one," Tweeden wrote about the photo on KABC.

"I felt violated all over again. Embarrassed. Belittled. Humiliated," she wrote. "How dare anyone grab my breasts like this and think it’s funny?"

Tweeden wrote that Franken, who was the headliner on the tour, had written some skits and told her he had a part for her, adding that she "agreed to play along."

"When I saw the script, Franken had written a moment when his character comes at me for a ‘kiss’. I suspected what he was after, but I figured I could turn my head at the last minute, or put my hand over his mouth, to get more laughs from the crowd," she wrote.

"On the day of the show Franken and I were alone backstage going over our lines one last time. He said to me, 'We need to rehearse the kiss.' I laughed and ignored him. Then he said it again. I said something like, ‘Relax Al, this isn’t SNL…we don’t need to rehearse the kiss.’"

She wrote Franken continued to insist and she got "uncomfortable."

"He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me. We did the line leading up to the kiss and then he came at me, put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth," she wrote.

"I immediately pushed him away with both of my hands against his chest and told him if he ever did that to me again I wouldn’t be so nice about it the next time."

She said she felt disgusted and violated. She added that she didn't tell anyone what happened at the time, but she was "angry."

Tweeden also said she fell asleep while on the plane back to the U.S. She said is wasn't until she saw the photo of Franken groping her that she told her husband what had happened and showed him the photo.

"I wanted to shout my story to the world with a megaphone to anyone who would listen, but even as angry as I was, I was worried about the potential backlash and damage going public might have on my career as a broadcaster," she wrote.

"But that was then, this is now. I’m no longer afraid."

She said she is sharing her story because there may be others.

"I want the days of silence to be over forever," she wrote.

Tweeden also issued a direct statement to Franken.

"Senator Franken, you wrote the script. But there’s nothing funny about sexual assault," she wrote.

"You knew exactly what you were doing. You forcibly kissed me without my consent, grabbed my breasts while I was sleeping and had someone take a photo of you doing it, knowing I would see it later, and be ashamed."

Franken said he does not remember the incident the same way but acknowledged the photo "wasn't" funny.

“I certainly don’t remember the rehearsal for the skit in the same way, but I send my sincerest apologies to Leeann. As to the photo, it was clearly intended to be funny but wasn't. I shouldn't have done it," he said in a statement.

Tweeden's comments come amid increased reports of sexual harassment in the workplace, including on Capitol Hill. Multiple women in Congress have come forward to say they have been victims of sexual harassment, prompting lawmakers to call for reform.

Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) said Tuesday the House has paid out $15 million in harassment settlements over more than a decade, though a spokesperson later clarified that figure does not only account for sexual harassment claims.

She said at a Tuesday hearing that two current members of Congress, one Republican and one Democrat, have been accused of sexual harassment.

Her comments come after multiple women have accused GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore of sexual misconduct. Moore is facing growing calls from top Republicans to step aside in the Alabama race, though he has indicated he plans to continue running.

Well then. I don't know, I'm not going to be the one to defend this, Franken isn't either, but that's not saying much. I'll say this, if someone did this to my wife I would be pretty pissed.

Anyone want to guess how this will go for Franken?

UPDATE

Franken is calling for an ethics investigation on himself.

“Coming from the world of comedy, I've told and written a lot of jokes that I once thought were funny but later came to realize were just plain offensive. But the intentions behind my actions aren't the point at all. It's the impact these jokes had on others that matters. And I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come to terms with that.

“While I don't remember the rehearsal for the skit as Leeann does, I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences.

“I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate.

“And the truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories. They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/360697-franken-releases-new-statement-calls-for-ethics-investigation-of-himself

Franken is moving fast on this it would seem.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Not a surprise. That guy is a PoS.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Well then. I don't know, I'm not going to be the one to defend this, Franken isn't either, but that's not saying much. I'll say this, if someone did this to my wife I would be pretty pissed.

Probably alright. The media will have no other choice than addressing the claims but to the degree of others? No.

On a side note, who is the woman making the claims? Is she well known or a D actress?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Serraph105: Hmm. here is hoping the media is going to go after this and not leave it because of their political views.

Also im sure people in here feel that he should of course step down and relinquish his seat.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Serraph105

@Solaryellow said:
@Serraph105 said:

Probably alright. The media will have no other choice than addressing the claims but to the degree of others? No.

On a side note, who is the woman making the claims? Is she well known or a D actress?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeann_Tweeden

Looking at her wikipedia page. Hooters turned model turned Fox News semi-regular and a tea party activist. Her career is probably going to give Franken all sorts of political cover. Probably, we are in interesting political times though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Yikes. Gross.

Franken always did seem creepy to me and his voice sounds like The Joker.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@perfect_blue: Pretty much seems like all the entitled are..........

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Serraph105

@Jacanuk said:

@Serraph105: Hmm. here is hoping the media is going to go after this and not leave it because of their political views.

Also im sure people in here feel that he should of course step down and relinquish his seat.

If there's more to the story I'm sure they will. If this was a one-off event without more people to interview to who are putting out more allegations my guess is that they will interview Franken, interview Tweeden, discuss it a bit, and move on. That's generally how the news tends to work. Maybe they will bring it up again when it's time for Franken's re-election, provided he doesn't step down, but that's not in 2018.

The reason Spacey, Weinstein, and Moore have remained ongoing stories is because there were new things to cover such as people getting fired, more people speaking out against them, a continued senate race, etc.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk

@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:

If there's more to the story I'm sure they will. If this was a one-off event without more people to interview to who are putting out more allegations my guess is that they will interview Franken, interview Tweeden, discuss it a bit, and move on. That's generally how the news tends to work. Maybe they will bring it up again when it's time for Franken's re-election, provided he doesn't step down, but that's not in 2018.

The reason Spacey, Weinstein, and Moore have remained ongoing stories is because there were new things to cover such as people getting fired, more people speaking out against them, a continued senate race, etc.

So what you are saying is that poor Franken did a guy mistake and in a bit no one will remember that mistake because after all it´s just a mistake

I hope you can see the hypocrisy here.

Franken can infact be charged with sexual assault since the women did not consent. So not sure why anyone would have a sexual predator in the senate.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:

So what you are saying is that poor Franken did a guy mistake and in a bit no one will remember that mistake because after all it´s just a mistake

Franken can infact be charged with sexual assault since the women did not consent. So not sure why anyone would have a sexual predator in the senate.

I think he's saying that one time events with no current event tend to be forgotten over continuing allegations during a time when the individual is in the spotlight.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:

It's bad and not defensible but making an offensive pose in a failed attempt at humors like this is clearly different than sexual assault and rape.

False equivalencies are bad.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105

@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:

No, I'm saying that the news is driven by "new" things to talk about. If nothing new arises after covering the information that's out there, then there's nothing new to talk about.

It's like you didn't read what I said at all.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:

It's bad and not defensible but making an offensive pose in a failed attempt at humors like this is clearly different than sexual assault and rape.

So now you are defending a sexual predator. I guess it´s ok when it´s a democrat.

And franken did more than just a pose as you can hear in the interview with the women.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic  Online

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's also true. Not a fan of Franken's humor but bad decisions in public don't mean one is a sexual predator. Just an insensitive buffoon. And she should have slapped him. Now THAT would have been funny.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:

I think he's saying that one time events with no current event tend to be forgotten over continuing allegations during a time when the individual is in the spotlight.

Thank you!

So not sure why anyone would have a sexual predator in the senate.

Also do we need to talk about Jac's bullshit with this part of his post or are we just going to silently acknowledge it's blatent obviousness?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

So now you are defending

I know you're still sore about defending a rapist and sexual predator, but don't lie:

@zaryia said:

It's bad and not defensible

I'm simply stating false equivalencies are bad.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@Serraph105 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Thank you!

So not sure why anyone would have a sexual predator in the senate.

Also do we need to talk about Jac's bullshit with this part of his post or are we just going to silently acknowledge it's blatent obviousness?

Well he is a hypocrite. Both trump and moore had multiple accusers over several years.....decades even and he says they are smeared. One instance with Franken and he's guilty. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jacanuk

@zaryia: You can make small comments all you want but the meaning is clear.

You seem to have some serious bias.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@Jacanuk said:

Shouldn't you be stating he's innocent until proven guilty or is that only for Republicans?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105

@Jacanuk said:

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Oh wow people are trying to excuse or minimize this. This is sexual assault plain and simple. Homie needs to go to jail.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

Shouldn't you be stating he's innocent until proven guilty or is that only for Republicans?

Shouldn't you be listening to some news.

The guy as already admitted it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

@DaBrainz said:

Oh wow people are trying to excuse or minimize this. This is sexual assault plain and simple. Homie needs to go to jail.

It´s a democrat so it´s ok he didn't mean it

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

Shouldn't you be listening to some news.

The guy as already admitted it.

Trump's words on the Access Hollywood tape did too but you still deny it.

Also Moore doesn't refute it so that should tell you something.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:

Your perception of what I wrote is irrelevant.

I clearly stated "It's bad and not defensible".

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

i lol'd at this.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Let's hold him accountable just like every other person who has committed some kind of sexual assault or unwanted advance. Additionally, let's do the same for anyone else in the same predicament. We need to have consistency to rid ourselves of this kind of behavior.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

by and large he seems to be owning up to this. He should either resign from his seat and then leave it at that.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:

by and large he seems to be owning up to this. He should either resign from his seat and then leave it at that.

I mean.... it seems like he pushed the rehearsal thing a bit, in the picture he is not even grabbing her, simply making it look like he is and seems to be playing a bit of a joke.

So... should he resign because of a childish joke picture and a kiss they both agree'd to?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic  Online

@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

I mean.... it seems like he pushed the rehearsal thing a bit, in the picture he is not even grabbing her, simply making it look like he is and seems to be playing a bit of a joke.

So... should he resign because of a childish joke picture and a kiss they both agree'd to?

Ah just noticed he actually isn't touching her.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N64DD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

He might as well be.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KOD

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

He might as well be.

That completely changes the situation. One's a joke, the other is actually sexual assault.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 N64DD

@kod said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

He might as well be.

That completely changes the situation. One's a joke, the other is actually sexual assault.

I was joking man lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Sticking your tongue down a nonconsenting woman's throat is sexual assault. Groping a sleeping woman is also assault.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

If Franken opined that anyone accused of such harassment should resign or leave a race then he should follow suit for admitting and apologizing for his behavior.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

He might as well be.

Even if he were touching her, he's not going to feel anything but plates and padding with that vest she was wearing. That doesn't excuse what he did, but it does make it less likely he did it specifically for sexual gratification.

The other allegations against him need to be considered, since in her statement she clearly claimed that the kiss was unwelcome even if it was supposedly practice for a performance.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Serraph105

@ad1x2 said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:

He might as well be.

Even if he were touching her, he's not going to feel anything but plates and padding with that vest she was wearing. That doesn't excuse what he did, but it does make it less likely he did it specifically for sexual gratification.

The other allegations against him need to be considered, since in her statement she clearly claimed that the kiss was unwelcome even if it was supposedly practice for a performance.

I don't agree at all with the "even if he did" bit and it's the picture is the bad part of this story in my opinion. In terms of the kiss well

"He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’

Does that count as consent?

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KOD

@Serraph105 said:

"He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’

If you didnt know, consent now needs to be enthusiastic and requires your initials and signature.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ad1x2

@Serraph105 said:
@ad1x2 said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:

He might as well be.

I don't agree at all with the "even if he did" bit and it's the picture is the bad part of this story in my opinion. In terms of the kiss well

If nothing else, the woman could be offended over the picture if she took him putting his hands over her chest while she was sleeping as a form of harassment. Whether or not others will agree with her opinion will obviously vary depending upon the individual, but harassment doesn't require actual physical contact.

As for the kiss, the story stated that she was uncomfortable and did not invite him to kiss her during the practice, and if I'm not mistaken, during the actual performance, she turned her head slightly in order to prevent him from kissing her on the lips again.

It's a pretty shitty situation for the senator, and even liberal celebrities like Mark Ruffalo and Kathy Griffin are calling for him to resign so he can't be used by the GOP as ammo against the Democrats.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KOD

@ad1x2 said:

As for the kiss, the story stated that she was uncomfortable and did not invite him to kiss her during the practice, and if I'm not mistaken, during the actual performance, she turned her head slightly in order to prevent him from kissing her on the lips again.

You are mistaken.

During the practice she allowed for the kiss but during the performance she decided to do what you described.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

@Serraph105: This is the kind of thing people brush off with excuses like, "It was just a joke," and "this was acceptable back then," but even when I was an immature kid well before this photo was taken, I knew that this kind of thing was an insult and violation to the parties involved.

We can argue over it's legal definition, I guess, but regardless it doesn't speak well of his character.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ad1x2

@kod: I'll have to reread the story then, the last time I read the details were this morning and either I misremembered some details or the earlier story may have had some inaccuracies.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

So she took part in a comedy skit, one she agreed to, and now she was "sexually assaulted"? I bet she voted for Trump too. OMFG LOL.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Your perception of what I wrote is irrelevant.

I clearly stated "It's bad and not defensible".

Ok, so we agree that its like with Moore grounds for him to step down and remove himself since a sexual predator is not fit for the senate.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jacanuk

@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

You really think she consented ?

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/17/politics/franken-trump-washington-political-bombshells/index.html

And of course he should step down , if you guys want moore to remove himself, it should be the same for all sexual predators.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 N64DD

@Jacanuk said:
@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/17/politics/franken-trump-washington-political-bombshells/index.html

And of course he should step down , if you guys want moore to remove himself, it should be the same for all sexual predators.

Boys will be boys.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

To be fair if she should have said no and that's that. Either they change whatever they were rehearsing or someone else steps in. You cannot have it both ways.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jacanuk

@n64dd said:
@Jacanuk said:
@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

Boys will be boys.

Yup when they are democrats.

When they are republicans or opposed to the democratic overlords they are hellspawn.

The hypocrisy from the left is mind boggling

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 N64DD

@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:
@Jacanuk said:
@kod said:
@PraetorianMan said:

Boys will be boys.

Yup when they are democrats.

When they are republicans or opposed to the democratic overlords they are hellspawn.

The hypocrisy from the left is mind boggling

Name at least 25 democrats that have done what the 2 republicans that are being investigated have done.

I'll be waiting.