Trump's rally protests likely linked to coronavirus surge in Tulsa health official says

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/09/trump-tulsa-rally-coronavirus/

In the days immediately following that June weekend, Tulsa County saw a surge of coronavirus cases with roughly 200 to 250 new infections confirmed daily, The Post’s Josh Dawsey and Carol D. Leonnig reported. Two other staff members and a local reporter who attended the rally also tested positive afterward.

“I’ve been watching the fake news for weeks now, and everything is negative,” the president said. “Don’t go, don’t come, don’t do anything. Today it was like, I’ve never seen anything like it. … You are warriors.”

Hope it was worth it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

Of course they were. It wasn't even a question there would be more cases after his ego rally.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Weren't they able to socially distance? Plenty of space, you know....cuz no one showed up.

*OMFG they actually camped out for the rally? WTF? It's not Star Wars FFS!

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Most Trump supporters dont hold a job, so its not like they had anything else to do.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Sure sure, but no surges from protest and riots, back to your regularly scheduled BS news.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Can we start referring to this as pulling a Herman Cain?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic

@vfighter said:

Sure sure, but no surges from protest and riots, back to your regularly scheduled BS news.

Ever hear of contact tracing? For instance in my county cases have risen after Memorial Day and the release to green. Why? Bars and restaurants. There were only 4 protestors that contacted the virus and only 2 that didn't go to a bar or restaurant. So blaming the protests is merely a trump talking point with no factual evidence behind it and lack of science. I know.....science is anathema to the trump base. So maybe they should just stay quiet and stop the anti intellectualism they favor.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vfighter said:

Ever hear of contact tracing? For instance in my county cases have risen after Memorial Day and the release to green. Why? Bars and restaurants. There were only 4 protestors that contacted the virus and only 2 that didn't go to a bar or restaurant. So blaming the protests is merely a trump talking point with no factual evidence behind it and lack of science. I know.....science is anathema to the trump base. So maybe they should just stay quiet and stop the anti intellectualism they favor.

Funny how the "science" was against the lockdown protesters. In fact, you were laughing at a lockdown protester for getting covid and "not grasping math and science"

LOL so many people don't understand rights but throw the word around over and over. Not surprised though. Math and science are also hard concepts for some to grasp.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/political-gamers-909409192/an-anti-lockdown-protest-leader-has-now-tested-pos-33492407/?page=2

That's amazin'

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Funny how the "science" was against the lockdown protesters. In fact, you were laughing at a lockdown protester for getting covid and "not grasping math and science"

LOL so many people don't understand rights but throw the word around over and over. Not surprised though. Math and science are also hard concepts for some to grasp.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/political-gamers-909409192/an-anti-lockdown-protest-leader-has-now-tested-pos-33492407/?page=2

That's amazin'

My point still stands. Those morons protesting because they couldn't go to a bar are selfish. Period.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vl4d_l3nin

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

That's amazin'

My point still stands. Those morons protesting because they couldn't go to a bar are selfish. Period.

No, your point doesn't stand. The argument of protesting during covid collapsed like a house of cards as soon as the much larger Floyd protests began. Your position has everything to do with partisan politics, and nothing to do with science. Period.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

Well, they wanted to risk it so it is what it is.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
@mrbojangles25 said:

Weren't they able to socially distance? Plenty of space, you know....cuz no one showed up.

Star Wars is hot garbage!

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@Chutebox: So.... Maybe it is like Star Wars?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No, your point doesn't stand. The argument of protesting during covid collapsed like a house of cards as soon as the much larger Floyd protests began. Your position has everything to do with partisan politics, and nothing to do with science. Period.

Nuance is hard for you I take it. Here's some science for you.........inside with no social distancing and no masks is much more dangerous than outside with masks. Science FTW.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chutebox

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Nuance is hard for you I take it. Here's some science for you.........inside with no social distancing and no masks is much more dangerous than outside with masks. Science FTW.

Dude lol. Lots of them didn't have masks on. Yelling that much in your masks, with spit going everywhere, I would assume renders the mask useless.

Edit: And then how many times did these people rub their eyes? I mean, it can't be good.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox

@mattbbpl said:

@Chutebox: So.... Maybe it is like Star Wars?

Yes, but one is still somewhat entertaining.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vl4d_l3nin

@LJS9502_basic: More partisan BS. Here's another bit of nuance: There is precisely no social distancing at the floyd protests and many are NOT wearing masks (plenty of pictures out there), floyd protests are MUCH larger with many more minorities, who are more affected by covid.

We are splitting hairs here. Just admit this has nothing to do with science.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@LJS9502_basic: More partisan BS. Here's another bit of nuance: There is precisely no social distancing at the floyd protests and many are NOT wearing masks (plenty of pictures out there), floyd protests are MUCH larger with many more minorities, who are more affected by covid.

We are splitting hairs here. Just admit this has nothing to do with science.

Most wore masks. And as SCIENCE tells us outside dissipates quicker than inside.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic

@Chutebox said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Dude lol. Lots of them didn't have masks on. Yelling that much in your masks, with spit going everywhere, I would assume renders the mask useless.

Edit: And then how many times did these people rub their eyes? I mean, it can't be good.

Not sure what you are trying to argue here. I was against morons protesting because they had to wear a mask and stay at home. It's a false equivalency that he is arguing now as the reasons were quite different. I disagree with selfish asshats that don't only care about themselves. You two like them............that's on you.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Chutebox said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Not sure what you are trying to argue here. I was against morons protesting because they had to wear a mask and stay at home. It's a false equivalency that he is arguing now as the reasons were quite different. I disagree with selfish asshats that don't only care about themselves. You two like them............that's on you.

I like them? News to me!

And I was referring to the bolded.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Star Wars is hot garbage!

The most recent ones sure are (BTW did you hear Disney essentially said "The last three Star Wars don't count, we are redoing the whole thing"? Pretty awesome).

It's just the last also-stupid thing I can recall people camping out for.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

@Chutebox said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Chutebox said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I like them? News to me!

And I was referring to the bolded.

The bolded came from science. You're welcome. And you took up his argument so you must agree with it or do you just like to be contrary?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox

@LJS9502_basic: Just because someone points something out doesn't mean they are "for that side." I don't know why people beleive that.

Again, I was pointing out, based on science, if people are screaming in their masks, spraying spit particles, they'll most likely render their masks useless.

That's not even considering touching of their faces.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

@Chutebox said:

@LJS9502_basic: Just because someone points something out doesn't mean they are "for that side." I don't know why people beleive that.

Again, I was pointing out, based on science, if people are screaming in their masks, spraying spit particles, they'll most likely render their masks useless.

That's not even considering touching of their faces.

Thank you Captain Obvious. But that still was off topic.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox

@LJS9502_basic: I dont believe you even know what you're saying at this point. Enjoy being oblivious.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

@Chutebox said:

@LJS9502_basic: I dont believe you even know what you're saying at this point. Enjoy being oblivious.

I think you got in on a discussion you weren't following and you're not making much sense TBH.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@vfighter said:

1. Whataboutism. Both are bad in their own way for health during a Pandemic. That being said, only one was hosted directly for and by a POTUS candidate.

2. What was BS news from the OP article? Please provide citation what statement was incorrect from that article.

3. Studies show the protests resulted in no surges so far. But those studies can potentially be wrong as it takes longer to really find out.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chutebox

@zaryia: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8485893/amp/Los-Angeles-Mayor-Eric-Garcetti-admits-protests-led-spike-coronavirus-cases.html

I dont know if this site is reputable or not to people here, I honestly can't keep track.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

And the mess protests/riots weren’t?

And they wonder why millions of us view mainstream media as fake.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23894 Posts

@dale_gunther said:

Nothing screams "hard science" like the phrase "likely linked", eh?

That is one of the most frequent phrases I hear from scientists and researchers.

For a layman, it basically means that there is a large amount of evidence suggesting a link.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic

@Sevenizz said:

You know much of their information comes from the experts. For instance where I live we are currently experiencing an increase in covid-19 cases. They did tracing and found that only 4 had been in protests and further that only 2 were not involved in visiting open bars/restaurants or travel. So those former activities are the reason for the increase and not the protests.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox

@LJS9502_basic: except the link I posted, sure.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@dale_gunther said:

@Maroxad: I usually hear "strongly correlated" from scientists when there's a "large amount of evidence suggesting a link". Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall so I can't see the data they're using to draw their conclusions. Other articles seem to quote Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart as the expert offering the opinion. That's really weird, considering he's the same guy who was "wishing" Trump would postpone the event because Tulsa was already in the middle of a COVID surge.

Strange. The very same health director complaining about being in the middle of a COVID surge before the rally is now blaming the rally for the surge.

Not strange at all and can be what happened.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@dale_gunther said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Not strange at all and can be what happened.

I can't see the original article. How did the researcher separate the "Trump surge" from the COVID surge that was already happening before the rally took place?

I didn't read it. I just said it is not impossible for that situation to occur.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zaryia

@Sevenizz said:

What in this story was fake?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaryia
@dale_gunther said:

@Maroxad: I usually hear "strongly correlated" from scientists when there's a "large amount of evidence suggesting a link". Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall so I can't see the data they're using to draw their conclusions. Other articles seem to quote Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart as the expert offering the opinion. That's really weird, considering he's the same guy who was "wishing" Trump would postpone the event because Tulsa was already in the middle of a COVID surge.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsa-health-department-director-wishes-trump-rally-would-be-postponed-as-local-covid-cases-surge/article_bac51435-a5d0-5b5c-ba74-182047453d53.html

Strange. The very same health director complaining about being in the middle of a COVID surge before the rally is now blaming the rally for the surge.

Yeah I think i'll listen to the health director over you. Your side hasn't been pretty wrong about this so far.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

Lol doctors arent even allowed to contact trace through protests to begin with.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/06/30/covid-19-patients-arent-asked-whether-they-participated-in-protests-doctor-says/%3foutputType=amp

Maybe... that could be why there is "no evidence" that links COVID to them.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
@dale_gunther said:

Scientist rarely ever express their findings in absolute terms, they are normally expressed as approximations. You often can't know for sure where someone caught a virus, so scientist don't pretend they can. We do know how viruses spread, and gatherings of people increase the risk of transmission. I do think the protest have contributed to the increasing number of Covid cases.

I don't know why there's so much pushback here against the idea that the riots likely contributed to a spike in Covid 19 cases. This has nothing to do with my political/moral view of the riots, it's simply a matter of large groups of shouting people in close proximity, some wearing masks, some not...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chutebox

@PernicioEnigma said:
@dale_gunther said:

Scientist rarely ever express their findings in absolute terms, they are normally expressed as approximations. You often can't know for sure where someone caught a virus, so scientist don't pretend they can. We do know how viruses spread, and gatherings of people increase the risk of transmission. I do think the protest have contributed to the increasing number of Covid cases.

I don't know why there's so much pushback here against the idea that the riots likely contributed to a spike in Covid 19 cases. This has nothing to do with my political/moral view of the riots, it's simply a matter of large groups of shouting people in close proximity, some wearing masks, some not...

You really don't know why? lol

Same reason a certain side of the political spectrum try to to deny it too.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@Chutebox said:
@PernicioEnigma said:

Interestingly and more telling is the group that denies the rallies are a problem..........you know the subject of this thread.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Chutebox said:
@PernicioEnigma said:

Interestingly and more telling is the group that denies the rallies are a problem..........you know the subject of this thread.

Yeah but when you google "trump rallies covid" then "protest usa covid" you'll see a massive problem of bias. You cannot say a rally cause covid but a much larger protest does not. That doesn't make any sense at all, that's obvious bias and honestly that's what makes me not even consider the left as reasonable at all. When MAJOR corps are pushing a bias somethings very wrong.
Yeah both sides have propaganda but the left is on a whole nother level.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Chutebox

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Chutebox said:
@PernicioEnigma said:

Are they denying it's PART of the problem?

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

Ok so.... i guess we're ignoring the fact doctors dont even ask about protests?