BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/20/politics/donald-trump-shutdown-border-wall-funding/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2018-12-20T18%3A47%3A58&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social

President Donald Trump will not sign the current Senate-passed funding measure that would avert a government shutdown, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Thursday.

What was once a deal to avoid a holiday government shutdown got torpedoed Thursday after conservatives and Trump unleashed fury that the agreement doesn't fully fund a long-promised border wall.It was a closing burst of wrath in the final days of the Republican-majority House. If Trump cannot secure the $5 billion he is demanding for the wall now, it's unlikely he will see a spending bill that meets his requirement for at least two years as Democrats assume control.Stewing at the White House, Trump ranted on Twitter that he'd been down a similar road earlier this year, only to find himself again in the same position.In reversal, White House shifts border wall funding demands, wants to avoid shutdownHe summoned House Republicans -- who thought they'd struck a deal to avert a shutdown -- for noontime talks at the White House."President Trump just met with Republican Members of the House. Not surprisingly, they all feel strongly about border security -- stopping the flow of drugs, stopping human trafficking and stopping terrorism. We protect nations all over the world, but Democrats are unwilling to protect our nation. We urgently need funding for border security and that includes a wall," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said following the White House meeting.The White House is following Office of Budget and Management guidelines on notifying federal employees whether they'll be furloughed in case of a government shutdown, a senior administration told CNN's Jim Acosta."Prudent management requires that agencies be prepared for the possibility of a lapse. OMB guidance states that two business days before a potential lapse, agencies need to notify employees of their work and pay status under a lapse -- that is, if they are furloughed or excepted. Agencies were directed by OMB to start that notification this morning," the official said. The last-minute scramble came after several days of whiplash, which began last week when Trump said in a meeting with Democrats that he would be proud to oversee a shutdown if it meant securing funds for the wall.Later, the White House signaled he was softening on that stance, indicating the President was open to a compromise that fell short of providing the $5 billion Trump is demanding.That provided an opening for Republican lawmakers to begin proceedings on a measure that would provide funding for nine federal agencies through February. That bill passed the Senate on Wednesday evening.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

So who do we blame now, Democrats, Republicans, The Feds, The DOJ, The Fbi?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

The public is already against Trump on this. More than a 20 point margin support a spending measure with no funding of the wall to keep the government open. He's just going to hurt himself.

Remember the last time the government shut down? It caused quarterly GDP to drop by a quarter percent, and the economy is the only thing Trump can tout as not being in the shitter.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I guess he's thinking of how backing down once again over this would harm his re-election prospects. Still, not like he's going to get a wall this time either.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

The public is already against Trump on this. More than a 20 point margin support a spending measure with no funding of the wall to keep the government open. He's just going to hurt himself.

Remember the last time the government shut down? It caused quarterly GDP to drop by a quarter percent, and the economy is the only thing Trump can tout as not being in the shitter.

But the consensus on Capitol Hill is that this eventually ends with Republicans caving, one way or another.

We’re not winning this fight, and he’s the only one who doesn’t know it,” one senior GOP aide told HuffPost on Monday.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

But the consensus on Capitol Hill is that this eventually ends with Republicans caving, one way or another.

We’re not winning this fight, and he’s the only one who doesn’t know it,” one senior GOP aide told HuffPost on Monday.

I'm wondering who got into Trump's head. It's obvious that he's had a change of heart recently.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I'm wondering who got into Trump's head. It's obvious that he's had a change of heart recently.

I'm not sure. He was going to shut down over the wall. Then he wasn't. Now he says he will again. It could simply be cable news. That's been known to sway him before.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

So, no Mexico pay for it? The people pay?? This is what happens when the liar opens his mouth and makes false promises.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I'm a bit confused why republicans don't just give him this, they still have the majority, they're in the lame duck period. If it were democrats who were fighting this I would understand, but people supposedly on the president's side? Why not? Are they really worried about what happens in 2 years time?

Seriously, my brain feels kind of fuzzy right now and I'm tired as hell, what am I missing here?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl

@Serraph105 said:

I'm a bit confused why republicans don't just give him this, they still have the majority, they're in the lame duck period. If it were democrats who were fighting this I would understand, but people supposedly on the president's side? Why not? Are they really worried about what happens in 2 years time?

Seriously, my brain feels kind of fuzzy right now and I'm tired as hell, what am I missing here?

In addition to near unanimous "nay" votes from Democrats, they're reportedly dealing with a combination of Republicans who don't want the wall and moderates who were defeated in part due Trump and aren't likely to do him any favors.

Not only is passage in the Senate highly unlikely, but leadership isn't sure it would pass the House.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@Serraph105 said:

In addition to near unanimous "nay" votes from Democrats, they're reportedly dealing with a combination of Republicans who don't want the wall and moderates who were defeated in part due Trump and aren't likely to do him any favors.

Not only is passage in the Senate highly unlikely, but leadership isn't sure it would pass the House.

So basically it's the republican majority refusing to play ball with the republican president. What's that thing conservatives love to say about democrats whenever something fails (usually because of republican sabotage)? Oh, yeah, "They have no one to blame, but themselves."

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl

@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I'm not sure. He was going to shut down over the wall. Then he wasn't. Now he says he will again. It could simply be cable news. That's been known to sway him before.

It appears that this may indeed be the case:

1. Trump watches and is influenced by a LOT of cable television (we know this from his Twitter feed, in which he quote tweets supportive cable voices)
  2. Trump's go-to show is "Fox and Friends," the morning show on Fox News Channel -- his preferred cable TV network (we know this from his Twitter feed too)
  3. On Wednesday morning, the hosts of "Fox and Friends" blasted Trump's seeming capitulation on the border wall.

"What a stunning turn of events," said Steve Doocy. "If [Trump] agrees to the [short-term funding resolution] which would continue funding the government at the current levels ... he loses and the Democrats will win everything they want."Added Ainsley Earhardt: "People who voted for him and want the wall and went to the polls to vote for that wall, they want to know how he's going to do this and they want to know why he seems to be softening his stance this morning."

Link