deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/432961-trump-threatens-to-block-networks-from-hosting-debates-after-dems

SAD

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Fox News basically disqualified themselves when they got up on stage and shilled for Trump at one of his rallies.

If he's too chicken to attend a debate on a real news network then that will hurt him at the polls.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mandzilla said:

Fox News basically disqualified themselves when they got up on stage and shilled for Trump at one of his rallies.

If he's too chicken to attend a debate on a real news network then that will hurt him at the polls.

Maybe they should hand him the questions before the debate.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mandzilla  Moderator

@n64dd: Yep, may as well keep up traditions.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

This is fine. He's just fighting back against fake news and defending the purveyors of truth.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@mandzilla said:

Donna Brazile handed debate questions to Hillary Clinton. We can't pretend only Fox News would be guilty of showing bias towards specific candidates.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Democrats get a tissue and stop crying.

But then again who wouldn´t want to ban a network who doesn´t give you the questions in advance so you can prepare your statements.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Trump is a such a corrupt wannabe dictator.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@Serraph105 said:

Eh? how did you come to that conclusion?

Also despite the thread title, Trump has not done anything so far, it´s the Democrats who are banning a news media outlet from their debates. So what does that make them?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@n64dd said:
@mandzilla said:

Maybe they should hand him the questions before the debate.

@ad1x2 said:
@mandzilla said:

Donna Brazile handed debate questions to Hillary Clinton. We can't pretend only Fox News would be guilty of showing bias towards specific candidates.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-news-roger-ailes-trump-megyn-kelly-questions-2019-3

Fox News CEO Roger Ailes tipped off Trump about a 2016 debate question, report claims — the same thing he attacked Hillary Clinton and CNN for

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Serraph105: Yep.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@zaryia: I never said Fox was innocent. Pointing that stuff out doesn't cancel out Brazille's actions and if anything it shows that they need to find a neutral source not related to any of the MSM networks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@mandzilla said:

Trouble is there aren't any real news networks in the US. Most of them tend to be more political activists then news worthy institutions. Fox is clearly awful, but CNN has gone off the rails as well. I'd almost like to see the BBC or Al-Jazeera host the debates because I think they would be far more impartial then the tabloid quality news networks in the US. Or Maybe NPR, they have their biases but I still think there reporting is fairly high quality.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

Oh god, the election campaign for 2020 has already sort of started and I am already sick and tired of it. God help us all.

If it were up to me, it wouldn't start until three months before the election. Each [and every] candidate would get:

• One 30-minute prime time slot per month on a national network channel to discuss their platform, answer questions, etc.
  • 10 million dollars and a bus to tour the country and speak...that's it.
  • Three 30-second ads per day on a national network/local news affiliate (free)
  • An appropriate allowance to run a website

All paid for by taxpayers, and only taxpayers. We elect people to serve us, it's only right we pay to be informed by them and give them a chance to run. No special interests, no lobbyists, no private money, no gifts. Every candidate would be watched like a hawk, and any violation results in instant disqualification.

*Concerning debates:

• There would be only two debates; one initial debate at the start of the cycle, and a second debate two weeks before election.
  • Candidates would not be in the same room; no more drama, theatrics, and bad manners. It would be a constructive debate.
  • If it was not their turn to speak, they would be muted
  • Speaking time would be extended slightly
  • Questions would be formed by a combination of the general public and political professionals (lawyers, professors, etc)
@sonicare said:
@mandzilla said:

Trouble is there aren't any real news networks in the US. Most of them tend to be more political activists then news worthy institutions. Fox is clearly awful, but CNN has gone off the rails as well. I'd almost like to see the BBC or Al-Jazeera host the debates because I think they would be far more impartial then the tabloid quality news networks in the US. Or Maybe NPR, they have their biases but I still think there reporting is fairly high quality.

I like that idea, but the problem is BBC and Al Jazeera are not available to everyone, even with cable packages. My folks have all these great channels--network news, cooking channel, HBO, and so forth--in their cable package but no BBC or Al Jazeera. Which sucks because I enjoy watching TV when I go to visit them and discussing the issues (I don't have cable myself). Would love to watch BBC and Al Jazeera, sort of discovered those channels while travelling, fell in love with them.

NPR would be great but, again, NPR seems very very left leaning for the most part (though I think progress, logic, and realism are naturally "left-leaning" in this climate).

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

@sonicare: Hmm, that's an interesting idea actually. BBC are pretty biased themselves, it's just not as blatant of course.

For something like hosting another country's leadership debate though, they would prob be a decent choice.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

@mrbojangles25: If you want to advocate publicly financed campaigns (and only publicly financed), I'll be right there with you

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@mandzilla: What’s a ‘real news network’ even mean anymore?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mandzilla  Moderator

@Sevenizz: One that at least tries to report the news, basically more coverage and less opinion oriented talk show stuff.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sevenizz

@mandzilla: Do they exist?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

@Sevenizz: Well there's no perfect network of course, all have varying levels of bias. Some of the better ones (in my opinion) are Euronews and Al Jazeera. BBC aren't too bad international-wise, but if you live in the UK you do notice that they aren't 100% impartial.

American politics are so partisan though, and that's evident in the news networks also - MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, Breitbart etc.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

See Trump? This is the opposite party playing your game. But don't worry, Fox will have sympathizers in that party I'm sure. Just check with a former Milwaukee sheriff, Hawaii congresswoman running for president ENSURING you win again, and your son-in-law.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sevenizz

@mandzilla: I dunno man, the BBC was caught recently trying to stage a Tommy Robinson sex assault against him.

Al Jezera - aren’t they pro terrorists?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mandzilla  Moderator

@Sevenizz: Is that the Panorama documentary?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mandzilla said:

@Sevenizz: One that at least tries to report the news, basically more coverage and less opinion oriented talk show stuff.

Like Reuters?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mandzilla  Moderator

@horgen: Yeah, Reuters is a good example.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mandzilla said:

@horgen: Yeah, Reuters is a good example.

Mostly I see other networks just publishing something Reuters first published. Never cared much about going to the source and see what is actually reported.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sevenizz

@mandzilla: Correct.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mandzilla  Moderator

@Sevenizz: Ah okay, I haven't seen that but I didn't say the BBC were perfect. I'd say they were very biased in their coverage of the Scottish independence campaign for example, and I'm not even Scottish.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mandzilla  Moderator

@horgen: It's closer to actual impartiality than most networks.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Serraph105 said:

Eh? how did you come to that conclusion?

Also despite the thread title, Trump has not done anything so far, it´s the Democrats who are banning a news media outlet from their debates. So what does that make them?

This is a good argument. I don't think banning news media is necessarily a good way to go about things... I would sooner drag Fox to court.

I guess I could argue news media is no longer about the news. Since it's increasingly more about political interests and spinning narratives and not about the actual events that happen? But that is happening on the entire political spectrum, so I don't think I can even defend that argument in favor of Democrats.

@mrbojangles25: I would 1000000% support your idea of a one-time limited fund (or limitation on funds) that every candidate gets to self-promote. No lobbying, no deals behind closed doors. Just straight up one sum of money that gets traced, and all their expenses get checked.