Trump says he would listen if foreigners offered dirt on political opponent

• 105 results
#1 Posted by Zaryia (9060 posts) -

Trump says he would listen if foreigners offered dirt on political opponent

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/448274-trump-says-he-would-listen-if-foreigners-offered-dirt-on-political

President Trump on Wednesday wouldn't commit to calling the FBI if a foreign power offered damaging information on a political opponent.

The comments, in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, came after special counsel Robert Mueller's report, released earlier this year, detailed numerous efforts by Russia to interfere in the 2016 election.

"I think maybe you do both," Trump said when asked whether he would call the FBI or listen if Russia, China or another foreign government reached out.

"I think you might want to listen. There’s nothing wrong with listening," he continued. "It’s not an interference. They have information. I think I’d take it. If I thought there was something wrong, I’d go maybe to the FBI."

Stephanopoulos noted that FBI Director Christopher Wray has said campaigns should reach out to the bureau if they are contacted by a foreign entity.

"The FBI director is wrong," Trump said.

ROFL, WHAT THE F****!

I can't wait to hear the spin on this one.

#2 Posted by mattbbpl (17244 posts) -

#3 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10794 posts) -

So what's to stop foreign leaders that aren't 'pro' Trump of actively giving information to his opposition now? Nothing? Where does this end?

Imagine if China obtains information against Trump and willfully (if not jointly) provides this to the DNC. Fair game!

#4 Posted by Horgen (120638 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

So what's to stop foreign leaders that aren't 'pro' Trump of actively giving information to his opposition now? Nothing? Where does this end?

Imagine if China obtains information against Trump and willfully (if not jointly) provides this to the DNC. Fair game!

The DNC would probably report it to the FBI.

#5 Posted by npiet1 (2322 posts) -

@horgen: if by FBI you mean the mainstream media, then yes they would.

#6 Edited by Horgen (120638 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

I wouldn't mind it if they reported it to MSM as well. This including Fox News too. Still better than using it without letting anyone else know about it.

#7 Edited by Zaryia (9060 posts) -
@npiet1 said:

Huh? Didn't they alert the Dossier to the FBI? Was it given to the media before the election by them?

I don't recall the media giving out details of the Dossier until after the election.....

Correct me if I'm wrong.

#8 Posted by Horgen (120638 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@npiet1 said:

Huh? Didn't they alert the Dossier to the FBI? Was it given to the media before the election by them?

I don't recall the media giving out details of the Dossier until after the election.....

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Remember FBI, CIA, NSA, all are mainstream media today.

#9 Posted by Horgen (120638 posts) -

Her is another article about the same subject, and a video interview.

In a new interview released this afternoon by ABC News, President Trump tells George Stephanopoulos that he’d take information from a foreign government if one offered dirt on his 2020 opponent. “I think you might want to listen, there isn’t anything wrong with listening.”

President Trump rejected the idea that such foreign government interventions amounted to election interference. “It’s not an interference, they have information — I think I’d take it. If I thought there was something wrong, I’d go maybe to the FBI — if I thought there was something wrong. But when somebody comes up with oppo research, right, they come up with oppo research, ‘oh let’s call the FBI.’ The FBI doesn’t have enough agents to take care of it. When you go and talk, honestly, to congressman, they all do it, they always have, and that’s the way it is. It’s called oppo research.”

When Stephanopoulos told Trump his own FBI Director, Christopher Wray, said he should contact the FBI if a foreign government approached him with information about a political opponent, Trump said Wray was wrong. “I’ll tell you what, I’ve seen a lot of things over my life. I don’t think in my whole life I’ve ever called the FBI. In my whole life. You don’t call the FBI. You throw somebody out of your office, you do whatever you do,” Trump continued. “Oh, give me a break – life doesn’t work that way.”

#10 Posted by Nuck81 (7648 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan: it's only ok if it helps Trump or someone who supports Trump

#11 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166623 posts) -

Didn't he already do that last election?

#12 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10794 posts) -

@horgen said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

The DNC would probably report it to the FBI.

Screw it, leverage anything they want now. We're talking new precedents!

#13 Posted by N64DD (11925 posts) -

What is everybody's problem here?

#14 Posted by rmpumper (654 posts) -
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Irrelevant as MAGA zombies would ignore any dirt about Trump anyway.

#15 Posted by N64DD (11925 posts) -
@rmpumper said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Honestly if he doesn't get impeached this, he never will.

It's like he's trying to commit political suicide on a live stream.

#16 Edited by Serraph105 (33860 posts) -

"This is fine because I voted for the man."

~Trump supporters every day.

It's amazing what personal ego is doing to this country. People feel if they were to call out Donald Trump for behavior they would clearly never accept from a democrat, let alone a democrat president, then they would been seen weak and dumb for having voted for him to begin with.

#17 Posted by N64DD (11925 posts) -
@Serraph105 said:

"This is fine because I voted for the man."

~Trump supporters every day.

It's amazing what personal ego is doing to this country. People feel if they were to call out Donald Trump for behavior they would clearly never accept from a democrat, let alone a democrat president, then they would been seen weak and dumb for having voted for him to begin with.

Kind of like how you hate the other party because your Hillary lost.

#18 Posted by Horgen (120638 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@rmpumper said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Honestly if he doesn't get impeached this, he never will.

It's like he's trying to commit political suicide on a live stream.

McConnell would only support an impeach if it would help his career. Until then he will do everything to stop it.

#19 Edited by warmblur (2547 posts) -

Trump is above the law plain and simple and nobody will do anything as long as those tax cuts and donor money keep coming.

#20 Posted by mattbbpl (17244 posts) -

@warmblur: Yeah, that's the bottom line.

#21 Posted by Horgen (120638 posts) -

@warmblur said:

Trump is above the law plain and simple and nobody will do anything as long as those tax cuts and donor money keep coming.

So US is up for sale? Nice :P

#22 Posted by Jacanuk (18616 posts) -

This thread is funny because how quick people forget the Steele report which was done by foreigners and paid by Clinton.

"The Clinton campaign and the DNC did not comply with their legal obligation to disclose their payments to Fusion for opposition research. Instead, they concealed the fact that any payments were made to Fusion at all. The FEC should open an investigation and – if they find a violation of federal law – impose a fine to deter future violations.”

#23 Edited by Zaryia (9060 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

This thread is funny because how quick people forget the Steele report which was done by foreigners and paid by Clinton.

You just posted a pure Whataboutism, comrade. Would you like to discuss Trump's damning comments instead of derailing the thread?

@Jacanuk said:

"The Clinton campaign and the DNC did not comply with their legal obligation to disclose their payments to Fusion for opposition research. Instead, they concealed the fact that any payments were made to Fusion at all. The FEC should open an investigation and – if they find a violation of federal law – impose a fine to deter future violations.”

Still undetermined and debatable. Was Fusion GPS a hostile foreign power? Wasn't the Dossier turned over to the FBI? Is Hillary running for any office?

#24 Posted by Horgen (120638 posts) -

It's always the Steele Dossier.

#25 Posted by Jacanuk (18616 posts) -
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

You just posted a pure Whataboutism, comrade. Would you like to discuss Trump's damning comments instead of derailing the thread?

@Jacanuk said:

Still undetermined and debatable. Was Fusion GPS a hostile foreign power? Wasn't the Dossier turned over to the FBI? Is Hillary running for any office?

Nice misuse of the word

And who cares if Hilliary is running for any future office when the whole point was that when the DNC and Clinton paid to have that dossier made she was, Which clearly proves that no one is above using anything they can get their hands on and completely dismantle yours and most in this thread "fake outrage"

#26 Posted by Jacanuk (18616 posts) -
@horgen said:

It's always the Steele Dossier.

You disagree that it was paid for by the DNC/Clinton? and was made by a foreign power?

#27 Edited by Nuck81 (7648 posts) -

@Jacanuk: yes. Since it was started by conservative group the Washington Free Beacon.

Fusion is an independent investigation service. Not affiliated with any country.

But please keep throwing that strawman

#28 Posted by Jacanuk (18616 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: yes. Since it was started by conservative group the Washington Free Beacon.

Fusion is an independent investigation service. Not affiliated with any country.

But please keep throwing that strawman

Nice try but you may want to stop trying to argue against facts.

At the time that Democrats began paying for the research, Mr. Trump was in the process of clinching the Republican presidential nomination, and Ms. Clinton’s allies were scrambling to figure out how to run against a candidate who had already weathered attacks from Republican rivals about his shifting policy positions, his character and his business record.

Fusion GPS hired Christopher Steele, a respected former British spy with extensive experience in Russia, to conduct research into any possible connections between Mr. Trump, his businesses, campaign team and Russia.

#29 Edited by Nuck81 (7648 posts) -

@Jacanuk: your own source proves my point by stating that the DNC took it over.

Fusion GPS is an American company.

You just backfired yourself.

Are you even trying?

#30 Edited by Jacanuk (18616 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: your own source proves my point by stating that the DNC took it over.

Fusion GPS is an American company.

You just backfired yourself.

Are you even trying?

Your arguments are so bad that it´s so easy to just dismiss them as rants with no substance.

It does not matter if Fusion is an american company or not, the important fact is where the information comes from and who provides it.

Or we could turn the argument upside down and apply this to Trump, where you are ok with his statements as long as he just gets the information from an American company

#31 Edited by Sevenizz (3914 posts) -

No one ever makes threads about how the Clinton camp actually spied on Trump. Treason, wiretapping, various privacy invasions, unlawful trespassing - all of which Democrats are fine with?

Think about the hypocrisy - just for a sec...

#32 Edited by Zaryia (9060 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Nice misuse of the word

I used the word 100% accurately with it's literal meaning. Please stop lying in every thread you post in, because it's actually annoying now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery) is a variant of the tu quoquelogical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument,[1][2][3]

The tactic behind whataboutismhas been around for a long time. Rhetoricians generally consider it to be a form of tu quoque, which means "you too" in Latin and involves charging your accuser with whatever it is you've just been accused of rather than refuting the truth of the accusation made against you. Tu quoque is considered to be a logical fallacy, because whether or not the original accuser is likewise guilty of an offense has no bearing on the truth value of the original accusation.

Whataboutism adds a twist to tu quoque by directing its energies into establishing an equivalence between two or more disparate actions, thereby defaming the accuser with the insinuation that their priorities are backwards.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/whataboutism-origin-meaning

Please do not try to tell me all known definitions of this phrase are inaccurate. They match with your statement without any question:

@Jacanuk said: This thread is funny because how quick people forget the Steele report which was done by foreigners and paid by Clinton.

You could not defend Trump's damning remarks, so you deflected with a whataboutism. Not that it matters, but I'm not even a Hillary Supporter, I recall calling her a evil wench here. Making your use of that fallacy even more awful.

Keep losing debates.

#33 Posted by Jacanuk (18616 posts) -
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Nice misuse of the word

I used the word 100% accurately with it's literal meaning. Please stop lying in every thread you post in, because it's actually annoying now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery) is a variant of the tu quoquelogical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument,[1][2][3]

@Jacanuk said: This thread is funny because how quick people forget the Steele report which was done by foreigners and paid by Clinton.

Keep losing debates.

And you keep misusing it again and again.

It´s literally not a-about-what-ism when we the whole topic is about the subject and we are dealing with clear hypocrisy and direct lies from you guys on the far-left.

#34 Edited by Zaryia (9060 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

It´s literally not a-about-what-ism when we the whole topic is about the subject and we are dealing with clear hypocrisy and direct lies from you guys on the far-left.

First Wikipedia said you are dumb.

Now Merriam-Webster is going to say you are dumb.

The tactic behind whataboutismhas been around for a long time. Rhetoricians generally consider it to be a form of tu quoque, which means "you too" in Latin and involves charging your accuser with whatever it is you've just been accused of rather than refuting the truth of the accusation made against you. Tu quoque is considered to be a logical fallacy, because whether or not the original accuser is likewise guilty of an offense has no bearing on the truth value of the original accusation.

Whataboutism adds a twist to tu quoque by directing its energies into establishing an equivalence between two or more disparate actions, thereby defaming the accuser with the insinuation that their priorities are backwards.

There is zero question. You factually used a Whataboutism.

"bu bu Hillary"

@Jacanuk said:

clear hypocrisy and direct lies

I'm not a Hillary supporter (I called her an "evil wench" here). Making your use of the Whataboutism even more perplexing and illogical.

Keep losing debates.

#35 Posted by Jacanuk (18616 posts) -
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

First Wikipedia said you are dumb.

Now Merriam-Webster is going to say you are dumb.

There is zero question. You factually used a Whataboutism.

"bu bu Hillary"

@Jacanuk said:

clear hypocrisy and direct lies

I'm not a Hillary supporter (I called her an "evil wench" here). Making your use of the Whataboutism even more perplexing.

Keep losing debates.

You can keep posting links to disprove yourself all you want, again and again, it still does make you right.

And this is again not about Hillary, it´s about the blatant hypocrisy shown by you and your fellow alt-leftists.

You cannot say ice cream is bad when you sit and eat a giant pile of ice cream yourself. It´s as simple as that and you can try to derail the debate all you want but facts are facts.

#36 Edited by Zaryia (9060 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

And this is again not about Hillary,

You mentioned "Clinton" in your first post which had the Whataboutism. It's completely about Hillary, stop lying all the time. You deflected to a completely different topic and person.

@Jacanuk said:

You cannot say ice cream is bad when you sit and eat a giant pile of ice cream yourself. It´s as simple as that and you can try to derail the debate all you want but facts are facts.

But I'm not eating Icecream. When did I say getting aid from a foreign government was fine for any side? How am I a hypocrite if I never had that position?

See you're already derailing the thread. We aren't even talking about the Trump quote anymore (or hell, you never talked about it). Your quote 100% matches every known definition of the phrase.

@Jacanuk said:

Whataboutism gives a clue to its meaning in its name. It is not merely the changing of a subject ("What about the economy?") to deflect away from an earlier subject as a political strategy; it’s essentially a reversal of accusation, arguing that an opponent is guilty of an offense just as egregious or worse than what the original party was accused of doing, however unconnected the offenses may be.

There is no other way to put it.

Holy shit you did it, I almost forgot what the thread was about. Next post is going to go back to Trump. Do you agree with his statements?

#37 Posted by Jacanuk (18616 posts) -
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

And this is again not about Hillary,

You mentioned "Clinton" in your first post which had the Whataboutism. It's completely about Hillary, stop lying all the time. You deflected to a completely different topic and person.

@Jacanuk said:

But I'm not eating Icecream. When did I say getting aid from a foreign government was fine for any side? How am I a hypocrite if I never had that position?

See you're already derailing the thread. We aren't even talking about the Trump quote anymore (or hell, you never talked about it). Your quote 100% matches every known definition of the phrase.

@Jacanuk said:

Whataboutism gives a clue to its meaning in its name. It is not merely the changing of a subject ("What about the economy?") to deflect away from an earlier subject as a political strategy; it’s essentially a reversal of accusation, arguing that an opponent is guilty of an offense just as egregious or worse than what the original party was accused of doing, however unconnected the offenses may be.

There is no other way to put it.

Holy shit you did it, I almost forgot what the thread was about. Next post is going to go back to Trump. Do you agree with his statements?

And you keep on abusing the term, again reposting your earlier BS does not mean it´s suddenly correct.

Try to stick to the topic and not keep derailing the thread.

Also yes you are trying to eat ice cream while at the same time saying it´s bad , you want someone to come into this thread and pat you on the back and say "you are right Orange man baaaaaaaaaaad" But that is not how the world works, when you post nonsense you are going to be called out on it.

#38 Edited by Zaryia (9060 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

Try to stick to the topic and not keep derailing the thread.

Agreed. So lets talk about the topic and stop derailing the thread discussing your Whataboutism:

President Trump on Wednesday wouldn't commit to calling the FBI if a foreign power offered damaging information on a political opponent.

The comments, in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, came after special counsel Robert Mueller's report, released earlier this year, detailed numerous efforts by Russia to interfere in the 2016 election.

"I think maybe you do both," Trump said when asked whether he would call the FBI or listen if Russia, China or another foreign government reached out.

"I think you might want to listen. There’s nothing wrong with listening," he continued. "It’s not an interference. They have information. I think I’d take it. If I thought there was something wrong, I’d go maybe to the FBI."

Stephanopoulos noted that FBI Director Christopher Wray has said campaigns should reach out to the bureau if they are contacted by a foreign entity.

"The FBI director is wrong," Trump said.

Do you agree with his stance? Do you disagree with his stance? Are you more in line with the FBI's stance on this? Are they wrong or is he wrong? Does his statement seem appropriated to you after Russia interfered to help Trump and will try again in 2020?

I would like to discuss my topic's subject matter, as intended.

@Jacanuk said:

Also yes you are trying to eat ice cream while at the same time saying it´s bad ,

What the hell are you talking about?! What ice cream.....are you feeling okay?

#39 Edited by SUD123456 (5314 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Stop derailing the thread. There are always examples of other people. There are always examples of hypocrisy.

This is about the POTUS and his apparent values. The significance of the position raises the materiality of the discussion to the highest level. Discuss this person, in this position, and his comments. Or create your own thread.

On topic: another day and another comment from one of the most disgusting leaders in American history. This putrid wannabee of a leader will literally destroy anything and everything that is foundational to your society to feed his ego and narcissism.

#40 Edited by mattbbpl (17244 posts) -

#41 Posted by Zaryia (9060 posts) -

https://twitter.com/EllenLWeintraub/status/1139309394968096768

Yikes,

#42 Edited by mattbbpl (17244 posts) -

@zaryia: But if you're elected you're safe from prosecution, and if you're a member of the gop and it controls the Senate you're safe from impeachment.

#43 Posted by rmpumper (654 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

No one ever makes threads about how the Clinton camp actually spied on Trump. Treason, wiretapping, various privacy invasions, unlawful trespassing - all of which Democrats are fine with?

Think about the hypocrisy - just for a sec...

You must have missed the word "foreign". Not that it's something unexpected from MAGA, as long as it "helps" Trump (it doesn't, it just shows how blind you are), you can pull strawmen and red herrings all day long.

For a guy shouting "no collusion", you sure are ready to jump to Trumps defence when the idiot blatantly claims to be willing to collude AGAIN the next election, as long as it helps him win.

#44 Edited by LJS9502_basic (166623 posts) -

And his base sells America to elevate their leader. How patriotic.

#45 Posted by warmblur (2547 posts) -

#46 Posted by N64DD (11925 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:

And his base sells America to elevate their leader. How patriotic.

I don't know how anybody honestly defends this one.

#47 Posted by Nuck81 (7648 posts) -

@Jacanuk: yeah the information came from fusion GPS an American company. Their employee happened to be a man of British decent with extensive expertise in Russia.

Keep spinning though. It's like watching a clown on a carousel

#48 Edited by N64DD (11925 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: yeah the information came from fusion GPS an American company. Their employee happened to be a man of British decent with extensive expertise in Russia.

There is no defending this one. I have no idea what Trump was thinking.

It's like OJ coming out after he was acquitted saying "maybe I did kill her".

#49 Posted by Treflis (13645 posts) -

He probably admits it because he knows that the republicans and his supporters will rally around him irregardless of what he says and does, any impeachment has a very slim chance of happening and even if it would seem to come to that then unlike Nixon and Clinton he won't step down beforehand, but will likely go through the process kicking and screaming out of sheer ego and spite.

#50 Edited by Zaryia (9060 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

Not to mention the dirt found was GIVEN TO THE FBI!

Even his Whataboutism fails spectacularly.