Trump policies you would like to see Biden continue. Realistically.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

Look, I say Trump was a lousey president, but it's not like every single thing he did was a bad idea. So in the interest of bringing a divided country/politics forum on a gaming website back together, lets have one thread dedicated to things he got right. I'll request that we all refrain from shitting on anyone for bringing up something you don't like, but that may just be pissing into the wind.

Continue peace talks with the Taliban. I'm actually disappointed they didn't come to an agreement in December like Trump thought they would. My sense is Biden will be less willing to get the US out of Afghanistan, but I hope he continues what Trump started and proves me wrong.

North Korea Nuclear Deal. Now, these talks seemed to stall and then COVID put them on the back burner, but these negotiations started under Trump. I hope Biden continues them.

Speeding up the approval process for generic drugs. It's a small step toward getting medical costs down, but when it comes to medicine, small steps seem to be all we can hope for these days. Biden should continue this track, as simple cost-cutting measures generally receive bipartisan support.

Alright, what are some other Trump era policies you think Biden could/should continue, realistically?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

One thing that wasn't talked about much yesterday because of Trump's shitty pardons was that he undid the policy allowing white house officials to become lobbyists immediately after leaving the office. Really sleazy and obvious as to why and begs the question why he bothered authorizing the EO in the first place. However WH officials being banned from lobbying is actually a good thing, should be reinstated, and maybe if congress isn't the worst they can push it a step further to include all federal and congressional offices.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

@Vaasman: Oh, that was a good one. I forgot about it though because it was never enforced. But yeah, the beaurocrat/lobbyist revolving door needs to stop.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Let's see

• Keep hemp legal
  • First Step Act
@Vaasman said:

One thing that wasn't talked about much yesterday because of Trump's shitty pardons was that he undid the policy allowing white house officials to become lobbyists immediately after leaving the office. Really sleazy and obvious as to why and begs the question why he bothered authorizing the EO in the first place. However WH officials being banned from lobbying is actually a good thing, should be reinstated, and maybe if congress isn't the worst they can push it a step further to include all federal and congressional offices.

Didn't he undo that decision, basically flip flopping at the very end? I could be wrong though.

Avatar image for deactivated-609b1cfe23050
deactivated-609b1cfe23050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-609b1cfe23050
Member since 2021 • 320 Posts

Can’t think of anything

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Thing is, when I look at Trump, I don’t see much of policy at all.

What I see is bombastic claims with grandiose spectacle and amazing promise put forth, punctuated by superlatives. Then I see half-hearted, impulsive, scatterbrained implementation that is oft times indecisive or taken to change of heart when the actual realities of the promise are contrasted against real-world realities and application. While I think this is a general truism in life when putting plans into action, difference is, Trump isn’t a person of conviction or see through, much less competence, and his promises are so rhetorically ludicrous in exaggeration as to be laughable. He’s not principled, he doesn’t genuinely care about the policies he promotes (they are a sell to get into power), he’s at heart an opportunist when any given moment of the shifting sands of what an opportunity can afford him can (and usually does) alter his decisions towards expediency of whatever goal he has in mind at that given moment.

-I agree with overall immigration reform, I disagree with building a tremendously stupid, wasteful, and symbolically disgusting wall to effect it when it could be accomplished far more fiscally prudently and effectually given an emboldening of current measures.

-I agree with removing ourselves from unnecessary foreign entanglements, however I am HEAVILY opposed to removing so many of our troops around the globe which I believe only increases our risk in lessening our ability to be proactive in protecting ourselves.

Any policy is only as good as its execution, and any that I, at a base level, could agree with Trump on, I object to based simply on how stupid and harmful it becomes to the cause it purports to help in his hands. In that respect, I don’t want ANY of his to remain.

Flush the fucking national toilet of his filth. Even in good ideas this man fails.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

I didn't see much in the way of policy from trump.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#8 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Off the top of my head, definitely continuation of the 1033 program.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Vaasman said:

I came in here to say this. So much for draining the swamp.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Continuing not starting wars would be excellent!

For all the Trump madness, he is a pacifist at heart.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Trump? Policy?

Trump didn't even have a platform for his 2020 re-election. These four years were so exhausting I'd have to think about any REAL, signed policy that did anything.

...Continuing talks with North Korea? Ordering McDonalds for college football teams..? Beats me

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4362 Posts

hemp legal part. i want keep. due to my handicap

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

Trump did alot of good things. I'd like to see trumps hardline stance on illegal immigrants and also the continuation of the border wall. Also continue banning of immigrants from Muslim countries until security can be improved. None of those will happen though, crappy biden will make sure to weaken the border and invite every illegal alien South of the border, whether its caravans or airplanes. Then in a few years after they've settled give free citizenship. Trumps stance was far more palatable and reassuring. Trump didn't sound like a dumb hypocrite when it came to immigration, he stuck to his stance, and it was the right one even if morally speaking it wasn't something people liked.

The policy relating to climate change i dont really mind. Even if biden goes back to Paris accord and push us to cleaner standards, its a good thing.

On the international policy, I much preferred president trumps approach. Stay out of other countries business, pull out our troops and tell nato to pay their own damn bill and not leech of of us. Nato, is a damn joke, so is the UN.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

I'm more worried about what biden plans to do. Trumps policies, aside from climate change was largely excellent. Even on climate change, I can still give Trump a pass. Its a damn shame that democrats even got the senate.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Trump did alot of good things. I'd like to see trumps hardline stance on illegal immigrants and also the continuation of the border wall. Also continue banning of immigrants from Muslim countries until security can be improved. None of those will happen though, crappy biden will make sure to weaken the border and invite every illegal alien South of the border, whether its caravans or airplanes. Then in a few years after they've settled give free citizenship. Trumps stance was far more palatable and reassuring. Trump didn't sound like a dumb hypocrite when it came to immigration, he stuck to his stance, and it was the right one even if morally speaking it wasn't something people liked.

The policy relating to climate change i dont really mind. Even if biden goes back to Paris accord and push us to cleaner standards, its a good thing.

On the international policy, I much preferred president trumps approach. Stay out of other countries business, pull out our troops and tell nato to pay their own damn bill and not leech of of us. Nato, is a damn joke, so is the UN.

Odd considering trump frequently employed illegal immigrants for his businesses. Climate change needs to be addressed. And internationally we need to get back our allies. trump lost and made us unnecessary. When you aren't relied on then your interests don't matter.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

No new wars, Keystone XL pipeline, which Biden crushed after it was already greenlighted by Trump's administration I guess.

Kind of Canada's fault for not seeing it coming, but still. Several tens of thousands of jobs were to be created by this on both sides of the border. And it's not like we can all flip a switch and instantly stop using petroleum products. Now all of this stuff will need to be shipped via rail, which is far more hazardous to the environment than any pipeline would have been. Kinda seemed like a big virtue signal more than anything else really.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Odd considering trump frequently employed illegal immigrants for his businesses. Climate change needs to be addressed. And internationally we need to get back our allies. trump lost and made us unnecessary. When you aren't relied on then your interests don't matter.

Our allies are only allied with our money and are troops that fight their wars. They didn't like Trump because he called them out. They did not like Trump, but they respected him. Tony Blair once said they will never like the US but they will respect them, because that is how it is when you are number one. He challenged the of NATO which was established to protect Europe from the Soviet Union. So Germany who never paid their fair share to NATO enter in to a trade agreement for natural gas from Russia. Trump was right to call the out.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58273 Posts

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

... And internationally we need to get back our allies. trump lost and made us unnecessary. When you aren't relied on then your interests don't matter.

Our allies are only allied with our money and are troops that fight their wars. They didn't like Trump because he called them out. They did not like Trump, but they respected him. Tony Blair once said they will never like the US but they will respect them, because that is how it is when you are number one. He challenged the of NATO which was established to protect Europe from the Soviet Union. So Germany who never paid their fair share to NATO enter in to a trade agreement for natural gas from Russia. Trump was right to call the out.

IF we are not involved in the world, then some other superpower will be. Like China, or Russia.

Not that I am a fan of any one country more or less dictating how the world runs, but I would much prefer the US running things than countries like China, Russia, or India. I'd like the dollar to remain strong, if not the strongest.

More importantly, I want the respect back. You think other countries only aligned with us for economic reasons and you're probably right for the most part, but American democracy means a lot to the world. People in general look up to the US for many reasons. We were genuine friends with many other countries.

People that say things like "we need to stay out of other countries" are poor students of history and fail to see the bigger picture. The world is as small as it has ever been and is only getting smaller, we need to be part of the world.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Every country has to have their self interest in part. No our allies did not respect trump. They made fun of him jim. It's on camera. They laughed at his speeches. They were not taking our lead. And frankly I'd prefer the US be a world leader than some of the other contenders out there. We have also dragged our allies into our wars so it's not all one sided. When you abandon the world then don't come crying when they turn to other countries. Russia, and China for that matter, would be happy to be the new world leader. And we would be truly alone, signaling the death of our impact on the world.

And it's frankly disgusting to see anyone praising trump after he went after our democracy.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

None. There are a few things that directionally I agree with, but the execution was terrible, flawed, or non-existent. Not surprising, when you make up policy on Twitter and surround yourself with imbeciles and sycophants.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts
@appariti0n said:

No new wars, Keystone XL pipeline, which Biden crushed after it was already greenlighted by Trump's administration I guess.

Kind of Canada's fault for not seeing it coming, but still. Several tens of thousands of jobs were to be created by this on both sides of the border. And it's not like we can all flip a switch and instantly stop using petroleum products. Now all of this stuff will need to be shipped via rail, which is far more hazardous to the environment than any pipeline would have been. Kinda seemed like a big virtue signal more than anything else really.

Enbridge Line 3 is a thing and because of it and US fracking, XL isn't needed from the US energy supply perspective. So yes it is a nod to some of his voters, but I dont hear US refineries crying about it, which should tell you something about supply/demand fundamentals.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@SUD123456: yeah,I know. I'm biased on this one, because the cancelation has a petty big impact on me and mine at this moment, and those around me.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@JimB: Which leader respected Donald Trump?

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I have never seen any evidence for the US's closest ally being interested in any money?
Plus they tend to fight in your wars, not the other way round...

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

They could run it all back. You wouldn't have the manufactured noise, so "everyone" would be enjoying themselves, living in a golden Era.

Avatar image for deactivated-609b1cfe23050
deactivated-609b1cfe23050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 deactivated-609b1cfe23050
Member since 2021 • 320 Posts

@Fuhrer_D: What?

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@yessir said:

@Fuhrer_D: What?

I would be fine with the government running back (continuing with) Trump's policies. With a different face to the government, we wouldn't see the manufactured noise we saw during the past two years, and people would go back to loving their lives, or at least hating it in "private."