Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Well, what can you say other than looks like Trump is picking a Kennedy look alike and someone that is a more safe choice which won't have any problems getting through the nomination process

President Donald Trump has picked Brett M. Kavanaugh, a federal appeals court judge with extensive legal credentials and a lengthy political record, to succeed Justice Anthony M. Kennedy on the Supreme Court,

NBC News reported.Kavanaugh, 53, is an ideological conservative who is expected to push the court to the right on a number of issues including business regulation and national security.

But he is also considered a safer pick than some of the more partisan choices on the president’s shortlist.

What a job to be picked for, no matter what, he is now going to form the justice system for at least 3 decades.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

This was the easy part, now the hard part begins in the chambers of Congress.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jacanuk

@ad1x2 said:

Don´t think this pick will be having to hard a time.

His pedigree is established as a true conservative and he also won´t be one that will go against precedence.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

@Jacanuk: Yeah, there might be a dog and pony show, but he's as good as in. Just about any conservative judge would have been.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@ad1x2 said:

His pedigree is established as a true conservative and he also won´t be one that will go against precedence.

He still needs 50 senators so the vice president can break the tie. At least two Republicans are questionable and Senator McCain is still recovering from brain cancer.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: Yeah, there might be a dog and pony show, but he's as good as in. Just about any conservative judge would have been.

Don´t think anyone will be as easy as this one, Trump took the very safe pick and a pick that would not lose any conservatives and would also put the Democrats up for re-election in Trump states between a rock and hard place.

The hardcore anti-trumps though like Sanders and Clinton will, of course, be against this, but Sanders also called Kavanaugh a white nationalist which is just far out there with no basis in reality.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

From what I have heard so far from him, meh.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk

@ad1x2 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@ad1x2 said:

He still needs 50 senators so the vice president can break the tie. At least two Republicans are questionable and Senator McCain is still recovering from brain cancer.

Yup, but I think this one will be picked like Gorsuch with a few democrats votes as well.

It will be another 53-54 - 45 for the pick.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I'm fine with it. I just wish Judges were voted in by people instead of picked by presidents. *shrugs*

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jacanuk

@n64dd said:

I'm fine with it. I just wish Judges were voted in by people instead of picked by presidents. *shrugs*

Almost agree here.

Supreme court Justices should not be picked by the president nor should they be picked by the people, they should be separated from the people and from the political office of the president. They should also not have an "unlimited term" they should have a set limit and be picked by a professional selection committee where no party should have representatives but it should top-notch legal scholars.

It´s funny though how much the recent time with Kennedy and Scalia have shown how little we actually have our branches separated. I do not think any other country in the civilised western world has even a close resemblance to the disgrace that is our legal system.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 N64DD
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:

Almost agree here.

Supreme court Justices should not be picked by the president nor should they be picked by the people, they should be separated from the people and from the political office of the president. They should also not have an "unlimited term" they should have a set limit and be picked by a professional selection committee where no party should have representatives but it should top-notch legal scholars.

It´s funny though how much the recent time with Kennedy and Scalia have shown how little we actually have our branches separated. I do not think any other country in the civilised western world has even a close resemblance to the disgrace that is our legal system.

People should be involved in some way.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts
@n64dd said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:

Almost agree here.

McConnell agreed with you as recently as last year.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@n64dd said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:

Almost agree here.

Why? This is our judicial branch and it should be a fair and impartial justice system that do not act as lawmakers or can be held hostage by any party.

But I think the UK selection committee seems like an excellent idea where there are legal scholars and "laymen"

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N64DD
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:
@Jacanuk said:
@n64dd said:

Almost agree here.

Why? This is our judicial branch and it should be a fair and impartial justice system that do not act as lawmakers or can be held hostage by any party.

But I think the UK selection committee seems like an excellent idea where there are legal scholars and "laymen"

I see your point and concede. :)

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Master_Live

The People are involved, they vote for Electors who choose the President and said President nominate members to the SCOTUS. Nominees are confirmed to the SCOTUS with the advice and consent of the Senate, senators are elected by The People. More involvement!

It is called representative democracy.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-supreme-court-pick/2018/07/09/afa8ae36-83a0-11e8-8f6c-46cb43e3f306_story.html?utm_term=.c6dcc8d3b378

"Kavanaugh has since argued that presidents should not be distracted by civil lawsuits, criminal investigations, or even questions from a prosecutor or defense lawyer while in office."

There's the real reason.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk

@xdude85 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-supreme-court-pick/2018/07/09/afa8ae36-83a0-11e8-8f6c-46cb43e3f306_story.html?utm_term=.c6dcc8d3b378

"Kavanaugh has since argued that presidents should not be distracted by civil lawsuits, criminal investigations, or even questions from a prosecutor or defense lawyer while in office."

There's the real reason.

Well, that is one opinion.

Also, notice how he does not says cannot, but clearly says "should not" meaning this is his opinion and he clearly knows that the law does not agree with that opinion.

So thank god we have justices who do not consider what they feel but what the law says.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Master_Live

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Live

I would guess one reason to not nominate Barrett now is to hold off her nomination for when/if RGB retires. It would be glorious.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk

@Master_Live said:

I would guess one reason to not nominate Barrett now is to hold off her nomination for when/if RGB retires. It would be glorious.

Barrett would have a hard time getting picked, not to mention that she is a wild card, but yes I think Trump may be saving that card for when Ginsburg is retiring or Breyer.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@ad1x2 said:

Yeah he actually doesn't seem too bad...for a conservative. I don't really have a problem with true conservatives in light of what false conservatives (aka right wing nutjobs) are these days.

He upheld Roe v Wade, upheld a ruling saying meat packers should have to have country of origin on their packages, and so forth.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacanuk

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@ad1x2 said:

Yeah he actually doesn't seem too bad...for a conservative. I don't really have a problem with true conservatives in light of what false conservatives (aka right wing nutjobs) are these days.

He upheld Roe v Wade, upheld a ruling saying meat packers should have to have country of origin on their packages, and so forth.

Yup, you know he is a conservative when even Bush W is out and praising the pick.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

he doesnt have the votes on the question of Abortion and he will not be able to give a non-answer to the question

I predict he will not get confirmed

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

he doesnt have the votes on the question of Abortion and he will not be able to give a non-answer to the question

Well, they got 50 votes so i predict you will be wrong.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TryIt
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

there is 2 on the republican side that will not vote for a 'pro-life' stance.

in fact, they are rather political about their position. Thus, GOP doesnt have the votes when the issue of abortion comes up and it will

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

in fact, they are rather political about their position. Thus, GOP doesnt have the votes when the issue of abortion comes up and it will

One thing is what the two female senators say, another is what they will actually do.

But i predict this will be another Goursich situation, 54-45

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TryIt
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

One thing is what the two female senators say, another is what they will actually do.

they are pretty hard core about being pro-choice. I predict they will vote against this nominee (or vote to halt until after the midterms) unless he comes out and specifically says 'i would not support making abortion illegal'

and the left is going to throw everything they have pressure wise on these two ladies.

women who are afraid of not being able to have an abortion under any condition can become pretty motivated.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

they are pretty hard core about being pro-choice. I predict they will vote against this nominee (or vote to halt until after the midterms) unless he comes out and specifically says 'i would not support making abortion illegal'

and the left is going to throw everything they have pressure wise on these two ladies.

women who are afraid of not being able to have an abortion under any condition can become pretty motivated.

They will not halt this nomination until after the midterms, if they do they will get destroyed when they are up for re-election.

And Kavanaugh is not against Roe v Wade, neither should anyone ask him, it´s an absolute disgrace that any democrat want´s to go that route and compromise our whole judicial branch.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TryIt
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

They will not halt this nomination until after the midterms, if they do they will get destroyed when they are up for re-election.

And Kavanaugh is not against Roe v Wade, neither should anyone ask him, it´s an absolute disgrace that any democrat want´s to go that route and compromise our whole judicial branch.

lol..that is funny actually

anyway...the women of the Left will be putting so much pressure that the only way those two will vote for this guy is if he EXPLICITLY STATES that he is against making abortion illegal.

this extreemly highly predictable tract of 'he isnt against it' 'because he has never ruled' isnt going to work, we on the left have already predicted that route easily, in fact we EXPECT it and your response to my claim was extreemly predictable.

so nothing short of his EXPLICITLY stating it will be acceptable...we are not as stupid as you think

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

anyway...the women of the Left will be putting so much pressure that the only way those two will vote for this guy is if he EXPLICITLY STATES that he is against making abortion illegal.

this extreemly highly predictable tract of 'he isnt against it' 'because he has never ruled' isnt going to work, we on the left have already predicted that route easily, in fact we EXPECT it and your response to my claim was extreemly predictable.

so nothing short of his EXPLICITLY stating it will be acceptable...we are not as stupid as you think

They will never be able to figure out if he is for or against Roe V Wade. Even the reasonable left pundits knows this, i know the farleft nutjobs like Sanders and Warren will ask but they will only get the same response, "No comment" and that is it.

You do know right how insane it is that you and the far-left are actually ok with a judge being asked how he will view a judicial case? It compromises the whole integrity of the justice system.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TryIt
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

They will never be able to figure out if he is for or against Roe V Wade....

read this carefully.

everyone on the Left ALREADY KNOWS the tactic. which is why people on the left will demand and explicit and clear answer to the question, if they do not get a clear and explicit answer they will vote no.

INCLUDING these two women on the right

PEROID

end

of

story

how stupid do you think we are?

a non-answer will be considered a vote for against.

I think you under-estimate how passionate women are about this subject. They are afraid that they might get pregnant is a situation that they didnt want and cant proove was rape. That is a HUGE motovator for them to get poltical

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jacanuk

@tryit: Well , you have your opinion.

Thank god the relevant people are not as careless with our justice system as the far-left nutjobs.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:

Thank god the relevant people are not as careless with our justice system as the far-left nutjobs.

just watch and learn.

my predictions are not always right but I have a pretty good success rate, how is your tract record on poltical predictions?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:

just watch and learn.

my predictions are not always right but I have a pretty good success rate, how is your tract record on poltical predictions?

Well, we will see

But you can be sure that this justice will take this place when the supreme court comes back after the break.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TryIt
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:

just watch and learn.

Well, we will see

But you can be sure that this justice will take this place when the supreme court comes back after the break.

that is your prediction, and my prediction is that he will not.

we have several months before we even get to a vote so there is that.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3850 Posts

I would like the Supreme Court reverse Kelo vs New London.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TryIt
@JimB said:

its going to be about Roe vs Wade. The Right will try to make it not about that, they will try to say 'he never said he is against abortion' but the left will not accept anything short of a loud, clear answer, of which they will not get.

Thus the two pro-choice women on the right will likely vote against.

thing is, people on the Right do not understand how motivated women can be when they become afraid that if they get pregnant in a situation that is rape but they cant prove it becomes illegal, because getting pregnant is a big deal you know.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Master_Live

Well,

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TryIt
@Master_Live said:

Well,

turns out votes do not require an explanation.

there is literally only two votes and one topic to watch on this entire subject

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TryIt

@Jacanuk

Senator Collins just said she will be asking about Roe vs Wade.

I didnt expect she would be the one to respond that she would be asking. this might turn out stronger even then I had thought.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

@Jacanuk

I didnt expect she would be the one to respond that she would be asking. this might turn out stronger even then I had thought.

Please link to that. Because in every single interview she have done so far i have heard, she said she would not ask about that. Nor would she expect a answer to it.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TryIt
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

@Jacanuk

Please link to that. Because in every single interview she have done so far i have heard, she said she would not ask about that. Nor would she expect a answer to it.

http://www.msnbc.com/craig-melvin/watch/senator-susan-collins-on-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-1273911363831

problem is however, the video link to the huge words 'Watch video

Sen. Collins on Kavanaugh: I’m going bring up Roe vs. Wade'

doesnt appear to actually be the correct video for that statement. so I will keep looking for somethign more solid for you.

here is one but its from July 1st, saying the same thing. not sure why this is news now and not several days ago

http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/395053-collins-im-going-to-have-an-in-depth-discussion-with-scotus-pick

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

@Jacanuk

http://www.msnbc.com/craig-melvin/watch/senator-susan-collins-on-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-1273911363831

doesnt appear to actually be the correct video for that statement. so I will keep looking for somethign more solid for you

Hmm, surprised at this turn for her, but she is an old lady so maybe senility has hit her so she doesn´t remember what she previously said.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TryIt
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

@Jacanuk

doesnt appear to actually be the correct video for that statement. so I will keep looking for somethign more solid for you

Hmm, surprised at this turn for her, but she is an old lady so maybe senility has hit her so she doesn´t remember what she previously said.

I guess not, for whatever that is worth which is nothing.

I see a lot of news articles stamped for July 1st which says she plans to ask away, which isnt a shocker at all.

I am sticking to my prediction and for the reasons I gave in detail

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

I see a lot of news articles stamped for July 1st which says she plans to ask away, which isnt a shocker at all

Well, that is not what she said on CNN , there she clearly stated that it would not be a proper question to ask.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TryIt
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

I see a lot of news articles stamped for July 1st which says she plans to ask away, which isnt a shocker at all

Well, that is not what she said on CNN , there she clearly stated that it would not be a proper question to ask.

ok well whatever, dont care.

not surprised remotely that this is her true position (one of asking).

so should I look up this quote you are referring to? I mean just for fun and all, because surely that quote would shed light for me and help me understand..right?

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3850 Posts

@tryit said:
@JimB said:

its going to be about Roe vs Wade. The Right will try to make it not about that, they will try to say 'he never said he is against abortion' but the left will not accept anything short of a loud, clear answer, of which they will not get.

thing is, people on the Right do not understand how motivated women can be when they become afraid that if they get pregnant in a situation that is rape but they cant prove it becomes illegal, because getting pregnant is a big deal you know.

If Roe v Wade were repealed it would not end abortion it would then be up to the states write their abortion laws. Most states would approve abortion, however there may be laws when late term abortions may occur.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TryIt

@JimB said:
@tryit said:
@JimB said:

If Roe v Wade were repealed it would not end abortion it would then be up to the states write their abortion laws. Most states would approve abortion, however there may be laws when late term abortions may occur.

I know that, doesnt change what I am saying.

and as it turns out my prediction is already turning out accurate.

you know how I know? because the leaders of these womens rights said that they are going to.

regardless of your point