mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

President Donald Trump is set to offer a position on the Federal Reserve to economic commentator and former campaign advisor Stephen Moore, CNBC has learned.

Moore, 59, currently is a visiting fellow at the Heritage Foundation and former Wall Street Journal editorial board member and has been a Trump supporter since the 2016 election. In October 2018, he released the book with economist Art Laffer, "Trumponomics: Inside the America First Plan to Revive Our Economy."

Moore also has been a frequent Fed critic, saying the central bank's policies of keeping short-term rates near zero and buying bonds to stimulate growth were misguided and would spur inflation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/22/trump-reportedly-considering-stephen-moore-for-fed-appointment.html

I posted some relevant details about Moore from the article, but this guy is a terrible pick. He's the worst pick for a Fed position that I could have realistically imagined, and I've been dreading his appointment for a while now. But he'll be a good lapdog for Trump

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

The burning down of our system of government continues. The sad thing is even though Trump is doing his damndest to screw as much up as possible, the rich keep getting richer and the rising tide is drowning the people at the bottom because he and the republicans refuse to create policies that would allow the poor and middle class to take part in any growth the economy might experience.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

When can we look forward to his conviction?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Moore also has been a frequent Fed critic, saying the central bank's policies of keeping short-term rates near zero and buying bonds to stimulate growth were misguided and would spur inflation.

You mean he championed ideas that never came to fruition? I seem to have forgotten the portion where inflation was running rampant for the last 12 years.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:

You mean he championed ideas that never came to fruition? I seem to have forgotten the portion where inflation was running rampant for the last 12 years.

Ugh, this guy is such a ****ing clown. This is the Trump appointment that disgusts me the most to date, although that admittedly may be due to my familiarity to the subject matter and the candidate relative to those of the others.

But look up this guy's distinguished 'career'. He gives a weekly interview on radio and writes columns on a regular basis so there's no shortage of material, but here are some particularly cringe-worthy chestnuts.

He has championed the discredited GOP-touted version of the Laffer Curve in which tax cuts always in crease revenue to this date, often with disastrous effects

As you noted, he predicted fed expansionary policy during a recession would lead to hyperinflation. Now that Trump is the president, he's stating that Fed contractionary policy during an economic expansion has led to deflation. This is mind-blowing ignorance in his professed field of expertise AT BEST, and dangerous partisan lying at worst. Neither has any place in an institution as critical as the Federal Reserve.

He's so dishonest that the Kansas City Star has banned him from running op-eds for lying to their readers.

^^^ I presume the cover of that book is self explanatory

I've followed this guy for nearly a decade now because people insist on taking him and the organizations he's involved with seriously, and I'm telling you - he's the pick for this position that I've feared the most. At least dice would make disastrous decisions randomly while ignoring economic data, this guy would consistently do whatever benefits him personally the most.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

He's so dishonest that the Kansas City Star has banned him from running op-eds for lying to their readers.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, but I remember this snippet. I totally forgot he flat out lied in his Op-Ed in response to Krugman. He was a part of the disastrous results under Brownback in Kansas.

Keep repeating the same old shit over and over and assholes like this never learn or admit to their own failures.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'm just hoping the country doesn't collapse before Trump is out of office. It's been proven the country can survive a bad leader, but he keeps stacking the government with incompetent clowns that have no business being in those positions.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl

Reportedly, Trump chose to nominate him based on the contents of a single column that was published recently.

Earlier this week, Trump spoke to National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow. The president had seen a column in The Wall Street Journal, co-written by Moore, with the headline: "The Fed Is a Threat to Growth." In it, Moore argued that the "last major obstacle to staying on this path [of economic growth] is the deflationary monetary policy of the Federal Reserve."

Trump asked his top economic advisor whether he had seen the column. Kudlow replied that he had and "liked it a lot."

"Why isn't [Moore] the Fed chairman?" Trump asked rhetorically.

After Kudlow answered that the Fed board had two openings, the president asked his advisor to talk to Moore about one of the posts. Kudlow asked whether Moore was interested, and he said he was. Trump offered Moore the Fed board job, which will not become official until he goes through a vetting process.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:

Reportedly, Trump chose to nominate him based on the contents of a single column that was published recently.

Earlier this week, Trump spoke to National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow. The president had seen a column in The Wall Street Journal, co-written by Moore, with the headline: "The Fed Is a Threat to Growth." In it, Moore argued that the "last major obstacle to staying on this path [of economic growth] is the deflationary monetary policy of the Federal Reserve."

Trump asked his top economic advisor whether he had seen the column. Kudlow replied that he had and "liked it a lot."

"Why isn't [Moore] the Fed chairman?" Trump asked rhetorically.

After Kudlow answered that the Fed board had two openings, the president asked his advisor to talk to Moore about one of the posts. Kudlow asked whether Moore was interested, and he said he was. Trump offered Moore the Fed board job, which will not become official until he goes through a vetting process.

He's easily played. Just appeal to his ego and you're in.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HoolaHoopMan

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/27/707312764/economists-forecast-stephen-moore-wouldnt-be-good-for-fed-post

And now economists on both sides are telling him he has no place on the board.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/27/707312764/economists-forecast-stephen-moore-wouldnt-be-good-for-fed-post

Maybe this fiasco will publicly reveal Moore to be the fraud that he's always been.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:

trump lapdog confirmed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

It's always fun looking back on history, even recent history, and having a good laugh. For example, this...

...and this

It's not often you can write two whole books about how wrong you are in such a short span of time.

@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Maybe this fiasco will publicly reveal Moore to be the fraud that he's always been.

Still hoping the Trump Admin will listen to facts, eh? Well I admire your optimism.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I thought the same thing with Trump and his presidency. We double down on stupid though. Think of it as a 'sunk cost' fallacy that is collectively shared by ~ 40 percent of the population.