Trump aide: Coal doesn't make much sense anymore.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Source

When even one of his aides tells you coal has no point...

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

You have to understand that Trump supporters aren't really big thinkers. It doesn't matter that everything he said was a complete lie. These people don't make decisions rationally, they are all based on emotion. As long as Trump appears to be thumbing his nose at "liberals" and the rest of the world, his goofy supporters aren't going to care what happens.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

Trump supporter: he'll save coal jobs.

Trump: Ya, I'll save coal jobs

After election.

Trump: coal does not make sane anymore...

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

Making America poor again

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

And what fuel source does make sense exactly?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

Just about every other one.

This graph is from the Wall Street Journal which isn't exactly a liberal publication.

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

Why ask that question here when you have Google?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

This graph is from the Wall Street Journal which isn't exactly a liberal publication.

Coal is cheap and readily available. Do you believe everyone using coal has the means to invest in geothermal, purchase a gas furnace, etc..,?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

What will he be fired now let's hope so. New energy is better than coal in the long run.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@Solaryellow: Coal is not cheap it cost lots of money, the environment, and the health of human, animal and plant life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Solaryellow said:
@perfect_blue said:

Coal is cheap and readily available. Do you believe everyone using coal has the means to invest in geothermal, purchase a gas furnace, etc..,?

LOL coal is not "cheap" nor is it "readily available". Coal plants are closing all over the world because it's a shit form of energy. Educate yourself.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

For those arguing for coal use despite it's inefficiencies, I'll throw this out there as well: Even if that weren't the case, mining jobs will not come back in significant numbers because it's being entirely automated. As an example, the contractors we hired a a few months ago came in off a job in which they automated all of the manual labor for a gold mine except for machine repair. The entire mine is staffed with two people each shift whose sole purpose for employment is to fix the machines when they break down or encounter something they can't do yet.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Holy shit that's potentially very exciting. With Democrats already on board with phasing out fossil fuels, if Trump changes his mind (unlikely, but still) on the matter we could seriously see the beginning of a toppling of the defense of coal/oil which could be an unintentionally large step towards combatting climate change. Trump is supposedly going to make a decision on the Paris Climate Agreement when he gets back from his trip so we'll see. Frankly, I still expect to be disappointed, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Solaryellow

@perfect_blue said:

LOL coal is not "cheap" nor is it "readily available". Coal plants are closing all over the world because it's a shit form of energy. Educate yourself.

I love the kids on this board who believe they know everything. You people crack me up. Where I live is known as a coal region. Antracite coal to be exact. It's plentiful and cheap and readily available. Look at the prices of a short ton and if you can not afford the price, you made some poor choices. If it wasn't cheap and readily available, why do many people continue using it?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@Solaryellow said:
@perfect_blue said:

You're talking to a staunch conservative.

He doesn't care about your "facts". Whatever his radio/tv told him is the law.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Solaryellow

@zaryia said:

You're talking to a staunch conservative.

He doesn't care about your "facts". Whatever his radio/tv told him is the law.

Will you answer any of the questions I asked above? Better yet, can you answer the questions?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

Electricity? Oh wait, you buy coal and burn it yourself to heat up the house and everything else that needs heating?

@Serraph105 said:

Holy shit that's potentially very exciting. With Democrats already on board with phasing out fossil fuels, if Trump changes his mind (unlikely, but still) on the matter we could seriously see the beginning of a toppling of the defense of coal/oil which could be an unintentionally large step towards combatting climate change. Trump is supposedly going to make a decision on the Paris Climate Agreement when he gets back from his trip so we'll see. Frankly, I still expect to be disappointed, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Oil will live longer. Much longer.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Solaryellow

@horgen said:

Electricity? Oh wait, you buy coal and burn it yourself to heat up the house and everything else that needs heating?

Coal isn't only for power generation. Many of these people forget others use it as a viable source of heat. Stepping into a more modern age of energy and heating is great on the surface but obviously not everyone is privy to such a move. If you are asking if I buy it, no but I see the prices being advertised and it is not expensive. You should see the trains passing through my area towing dozens upon dozens of coal filled hoppers most likely making the journey to coal fueled power plants, local markets, etc..,

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator

@Solaryellow said:
@horgen said:

Coal isn't only for power generation. Many of these people forget others use it as a viable source of heat. Stepping into a more modern age of energy and heating is great on the surface but obviously not everyone is privy to such a move. If you are asking if I buy it, no but I see the prices being advertised and it is not expensive. You should see the trains passing through my area towing dozens upon dozens of coal filled hoppers most likely making the journey to coal fueled power plants, local markets, etc..,

Where I live coal was never an option. Cheap hydro power though. For decades the government controlled it, build it, created a highly usable infrastructure around it so most people could get it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

@horgen said:
@Solaryellow said:

@Serraph105 said:

Oil will live longer. Much longer.

Yeah, Oil has a lot of other uses. Fuel oil is only one of the many products from crude oil. And even there, fuel oil is very practical for some applications.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendoboy16

@Solaryellow said:
@perfect_blue said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

Except coal has been a freaking nightmare on the environment.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solaryellow

@nintendoboy16 said:

The merits, or lack there of, in terms of being environmentally sound and efficient are not in question.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

It's stored energy not sustained. Coal is fine. People are dumb.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

@Solaryellow: then you're talking about pa, probably NEPA. Coal prices have been climbing steadily the last decade and furnace manufacturs like keystroke are struggling, and so are the mines. Coal is going away. Time to move on.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serraph105

I really fucking hate our president.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/report-trump-is-planning-to-pull-out-of-paris-climate-deal.html

RealRyuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RealRyuk
Member since 2017 • 17 Posts

Serraph105 Din't you vote for him, I wonder if so many people hate him as they say ,how the hell did he become the president or they started hating him after voting him?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105

@realryuk said:

Serraph105 Din't you vote for him, I wonder if so many people hate him as they say ,how the hell did he become the president or they started hating him after voting him?

When have I ever alluded to voting for Trump? For the record I voted for Hillary twice, but where did you get that idea from?

RealRyuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RealRyuk
Member since 2017 • 17 Posts

@Serraph105: That's good to know.If it gives you any consolation I despise the man myself.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Coal has been deemed a failure by the free market. And this was happening long before Obama enacted those evil regulations that kept our Saintly Coal companies from dumping waste into our water supply.

And lol @ the people who think America's social safety nets/welfare programs need to be slashed just because they've been abused by a small fraction of the populace.

And this is while these same people think corporate welfare (failed coal industry, manufacturing) and tax cuts to the richest 1% = sound economic policy. Lmao, like seriously, why do they even call themselves fiscally conservative again?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Regardless of the White House's opinion on coal, the market has had less and less demand for coal. Why would one choose to pay more for coal when one can pay less for the same product with natural gas or make more of an investment in the future by utilizing solar and/or wind?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator

@Maroxad said:

Yeah, Oil has a lot of other uses. Fuel oil is only one of the many products from crude oil. And even there, fuel oil is very practical for some applications.

Yup. And even as fuel it will be used for many years to come.

Norway might a goal of selling no fossil fueled cars by 2025 or 2030, but still loads of other countries that do not have these goals.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16

@Serraph105 said:

I really fucking hate our president.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/report-trump-is-planning-to-pull-out-of-paris-climate-deal.html

Damn it all! I hate him too.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

Yup. And even as fuel it will be used for many years to come.

Norway might a goal of selling no fossil fueled cars by 2025 or 2030, but still loads of other countries that do not have these goals.

Yup, here in sweden, fuel oil is still heavily used for public transport. Compared to you norwegians, we are trailing behind by quite a bit in that area. even for regular vehicles Norway, has roughly 4 times as many electric vehicles in use than sweden. And that is despite sweden having nearly twice the population.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

It doesn't matter what Trump or any elected official says about coal. What matters is whether anyone is going to invest money into building a new coal plant knowing that it takes decades to get a solid return on that investment. The answer is no one is that stupid.

Moreover, the existing fleet of coal plants in the US are old with a capacity weighted average age of 39 years. As these wear out they are not going to be refurbished/replaced as the price of natural gas is so low and the price of renewable continues to drop.

It is over for coal. There is no business case.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Don't drink the Trump aid.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@perfect_blue said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

So does methane gas, our environment was much worse 200 million years ago than it could ever be today, from volcanic activity to dinosaur's farting..... Please stop farting.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 horgen  Moderator

@Maroxad said:

Yup, here in sweden, fuel oil is still heavily used for public transport. Compared to you norwegians, we are trailing behind by quite a bit in that area. even for regular vehicles Norway, has roughly 4 times as many electric vehicles in use than sweden. And that is despite sweden having nearly twice the population.

Tax the F out of normal cars and remove tax (even VAT) on electrical cars and see what happens. Personally I hope I can buy an electrical car before the year ends.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@Solaryellow said:
@perfect_blue said:

You need to educate yourself as well.

Coal is by far the cheapest energy source compared to any other if you do not include nuclear, you should perhaps do us all a favor and at least use google.

The reason for coal plants closing is because of environmental reasons and because of the extra tax most western governments put on coal.

And as to Coal availability , clearly you need to educate yourself again. it´s not like it's being mined in 110 countries and on all continents.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Jacanuk said:

Coal is by far the cheapest energy source compared to any other if you do not include nuclear, you should perhaps do us all a favor and at least use google.

The reason for coal plants closing is because of environmental reasons and because of the extra tax most western governments put on coal.

And as to Coal availability , clearly you need to educate yourself again. it´s not like it's being mined in 110 countries and on all continents.

No, the reason they are failing is because they aren't economically viable. This was repeated in the thread multiple times but once again you seem incapable of reading.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:

No, the reason they are failing is because they aren't economically viable. This was repeated in the thread multiple times but once again you seem incapable of reading.

What did i write? again your reading and comprehension is severely lacking. And no the Coal plants are not failing.

The plants are faced with environmental and tax bills that makes it more expensive to use the coal. Not to mention general "pr" a company looks better to consumers if it has a concern for the environment.

Not because the coal itself is expensive, Again Coal is the least expensive source to use.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Solaryellow

@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:

Have you ever inquired as to the price of coal? You know, short ton and such?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Jacanuk said:

Have you ever inquired as to the price of coal? You know, short ton and such?

I have. And I also know that to build an energy plant requires you to calculate load/capacity factors, capital cost, fixed O&M cost, variable O&M (which includes input fuel cost such as the coal itself, or natural gas), and then any bonuses such as tax breaks and minuses such as carbon taxes. And you then have run this model over the likely lifespan of the asset to determine the business case.... such as a discounted cash flow return on equity calculation.

And I know that if you do this today in the US using reasonable assumptions about the costs of a new coal plant vs the costs of a new natural gas plant that coal loses every time.

Let me repeat: coal loses to natural gas, let alone renewables. And the only reason natural gas makes sense versus renewable is because it is dispatchable. A modern combined cycle natural gas plant is around 60% net efficiency and can spool up in 20 mins when the sun is not shining or the wind is not blowing. While coal is not and cannot.

In summary, a natural gas plant is cheaper to build and run than a new coal plant, produces far less emissions, and is more easily dispatchable.

There is no coal business case. I know this because I am an executive in the energy business at a major company and it is my business to know this.

Finally, no one cares about coal as a heating source since that usage is trivial in the US.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Source

When even one of his aides tells you coal has no point...

Loading Video...

Increase in natural gas usage has reduced US carbon foot print.