mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

In a brief filed in a federal court in Texas, the department said a tax law signed last year by President Donald Trump that eliminated penalties for not having health insurance rendered the so-called individual mandate under Obamacare unconstitutional.

The Justice Department said that also nullifies two other major provisions of Obamacare linked to the individual mandate, including one barring insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.

https://amp-businessinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.businessinsider.com/r-us-justice-department-says-obamacare-individual-mandate-unconstitutional-2018-6?amp_js_v=a1&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Two aspects of this development stick out. First, protection for those with Preexisting Conditions is overwhelmingly popular making this move politically questionable. Second, the administration's argument is that they only became unconstitutional after Trump signed the GOP tax bill which eliminated penalties for not having health insurance, thereby limiting the ability of the administration and the party to shift blame.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@mattbbpl: Your avatar is essentially what I'm becoming more like everyday.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105

I mean you wouldn't want to have your pre-existing conditions covered that you were born with if it was going to cost anything to anyone who had the intelligence to be born healthy. **** this administration.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

This will be a giant mess for the foreseeable future, but I do believe dismantling the ACA just brings us closer to going single payer. Like the rest of the first world did 50 years ago.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
@judaspete said:

This will be a giant mess for the foreseeable future, but I do believe dismantling the ACA just brings us closer to going single payer. Like the rest of the first world did 50 years ago.

I think it could be that we dismantle it and go decades without single payer, and all the work towards such a system will have to begin again as time will allow people to set back into the mindset that there is no better system than the one we have.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

well looks like I am going to lose my health coverage dye to my pre existing condition that I was born with. **** trump seriously

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

The ironic thing is that it's the fatasses in the red states that voted for Trump who will be the hardest hit. They all have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart disease, etc

I guess losing their health coverage is what winning looks like. I wonder if all the lard went to their brains and gave them some kind of retardation that made them vote for Trump.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@resevl4rlz said:

well looks like I am going to lose my health coverage dye to my pre existing condition that I was born with. **** trump seriously

I don't think you can lose your health coverage if you already have it. I think they use pre-existing conditions to exclude new members on prior medical problems that they had before enrolling. I dont think they can suddenly stop covering you at this point. The issue would be if you ended up with a gap between plans going forward. It still sucks, but you may not be out of luck.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Yeah, get rid of the one good thing about the ACA... great job.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Well, truth be told, once they eliminated the individual mandate, that essentially made covering pre-existing conditions untenable. It's sad that they actually went out and attacked that specific part of it, though. Hopefully, this gets fixed in 2 years.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@judaspete said:

I think it could be that we dismantle it and go decades without single payer, and all the work towards such a system will have to begin again as time will allow people to set back into the mindset that there is no better system than the one we have.

Maybe, but I don't think so. Costs keep going up, especially with pharmaceuticals, and that isn't changing anytime soon. Healthcare premiums will continue to rise, and there wont be any Obamacare to blame it on. At some point the number of uninsured diabetics and opioid addicts in red states will get too large to ignore. So far I have not seen any private sector solutions to these problems.

Unless this works out:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/technology/amazon-berkshire-hathaway-jpmorgan-health-care.html

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105

@sonicare said:
@resevl4rlz said:

I don't think you can lose your health coverage if you already have it. I think they use pre-existing conditions to exclude new members on prior medical problems that they had before enrolling. I dont think they can suddenly stop covering you at this point. The issue would be if you ended up with a gap between plans going forward. It still sucks, but you may not be out of luck.

Theoretically they could stop supporting the plan altogether regardless of who on it has pre-existing conditions, and just create a plan without coverage of pre-existing conditions.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts
@sonicare said:
@resevl4rlz said:

They can and they will. Prior to Obamacare, insurers would drop people all the time because they didn't want to cover their conditions, pre-existing or otherwise.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

The party of christian values strikes again. Born sick? Die. Born poor? Too bad, being poor is a choice.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts
@judaspete said:

They don't even necessarily need a single payer system, they need good regulations, which will never happen as long as the republican party is still a thing in the US.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

6'1", blonde haired, blue eyed, mesomorph, alpha male checking in. What's a preexisting condition?

Lololol jk.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

America: the place where healthcare for everyone is considered evil, and having guns everywhere is considered good.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@plageus900 said:

6'1", blonde haired, blue eyed, mesomorph, alpha male checking in. What's a preexisting condition?

Lololol jk.

Mesomorph? What is that, like a cousin of an xenomorph?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@mrbojangles25: A mesomorph has a naturally athletic body type.

Home of the V-taper baby!

https://www.britannica.com/science/mesomorph

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

This is a good thing.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl

@n64dd: How so?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:

The ironic thing is that it's the fatasses in the red states that voted for Trump who will be the hardest hit. They all have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart disease, etc

I guess losing their health coverage is what winning looks like. I wonder if all the lard went to their brains and gave them some kind of retardation that made them vote for Trump.

Lol exactly. But their I.Q level is so bad they won't even know how it affects them.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@needhealing said:
@bigfootpart2 said:

Lol exactly. But their I.Q level is so bad they won't even know how it affects them.

Sad but true.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

In a brief filed in a federal court in Texas, the department said a tax law signed last year by President Donald Trump that eliminated penalties for not having health insurance rendered the so-called individual mandate under Obamacare unconstitutional.

The Justice Department said that also nullifies two other major provisions of Obamacare linked to the individual mandate, including one barring insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.

https://amp-businessinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.businessinsider.com/r-us-justice-department-says-obamacare-individual-mandate-unconstitutional-2018-6?amp_js_v=a1&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Two aspects of this development stick out. First, protection for those with Preexisting Conditions is overwhelmingly popular making this move politically questionable. Second, the administration's argument is that they only became unconstitutional after Trump signed the GOP tax bill which eliminated penalties for not having health insurance, thereby limiting the ability of the administration and the party to shift blame.

You are misrepresenting some facts here.

The administration did not say that this provision was unconstitutional, what Sessions said was that they would not defend against the 20 states which are suing on the basis of it being unconstitutional.

There is a huge difference, and since this is the states themselves, well I do not see a problem.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

You are misrepresenting some facts here.

The administration did not say that this provision was unconstitutional, what Sessions said was that they would not defend against the 20 states which are suing on the basis of it being unconstitutional.

There is a huge difference, and since this is the states themselves, well I do not see a problem.

They're arguing that they will not defend it because it's unconstitutional.

Link

Link 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@Serraph105 said:
@sonicare said:
@resevl4rlz said:

Theoretically they could stop supporting the plan altogether regardless of who on it has pre-existing conditions, and just create a plan without coverage of pre-existing conditions.

But then in that case, wouldn't every health problem be a pre-existing condition?