Toronto collision leaves 9 dead, 16 injured; suspect in custody.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/world/toronto-collision-pedestrians/index.html

A US official confirms to CNN's Shimon Prokupecz and sources tell CNN partner CTV that Alek Minassian is in Canadian custody as the suspect who ran down pedestrians in Toronto today. Nine people are dead and 16 are injured after the driver of a van plowed into multiple pedestrians in Toronto on Monday, Acting Police Chief Peter Yuen said. The driver, who authorities said hit pedestrians on a busy street north of midtown Toronto, was in custody after leaving a trail of destruction stretching up to a mile, officials said. The van has been located, Toronto Police media representative Gary Long said.The suspect was previously known to Toronto authorities, according to a US law enforcement official briefed on the matter. Toronto police have not released the suspected driver's name. Authorities also have not said publicly if the collisions were intentional. But a law enforcement official briefed on the situation in Toronto told CNN the incident is believed to be deliberate.Yuen said police received calls around 1:30 p.m. that a vehicle was driving on Yonge Street, striking pedestrians. The collisions happened in the North York area at the intersection of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue, police said.The suspect covered between a half-mile and a mile in the vehicle, said Stephen Powell, district chief for Toronto Fire.Ten patients were transported Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and two were declared dead at the hospital, said Dr. Dan Cass, executive vice-president and chief medical officer. He said five patients were in critical condition and three were in serious condition, Cass said. Cass said the patients suffered a range of injuries, some serious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Definitely deliberate. Hard to tell if it was act of terrorism or just a total nut job. The video of him pretending his phone was a gun suggests the latter, but who knows.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

Crazy stuff. I was just in that exact spot yesterday at around the time when this happened today. Just goes to show you can never let your guard down too much. R.I.P. to the people who lost their lives today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I’m not often in that area but still, pretty scare and kind of surreal for an event like that occurring here.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Starting to look like mental illness as he was not known to be a part of any terror groups and isis has not claimed any involvement.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N64DD

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Starting to look like mental illness as he was not known to be a part of any terror groups and isis has not claimed any involvement.

I'm glad it's not. It's horrible no matter what, but you don't want this to escalate.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

5x as many would have died if he had an assault rifle.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Very sad.

It's strange that we categorize these attacks as either carried out by some nutjob/someone with mental illness, or a terrorist. Like they aren't the same thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Another alt-right/right-wing terrorist who supposedly idolized Elliot Rodger.

The alt-right and rightwing terror is the biggest threat these days to homeland security.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

That was an assault van.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@perfect_blue: Where do you get the idea that this guy was alt-right, let alone whether his political leanings had anything to do with this?

And Elliot Rodger was a whack job who had a problem with sex, couldn't get any, and decided to hate women. Moreover, if you want to just go with sheer body count then alt-right activity leading to death is a tiny fraction of the body count problem in the US. So frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@speedfreak48t5p said:

"Breaking news, some fanatic just started killing a bunch of a people! We are actively investigating the possibility that this is a terrorist atta...oh, what's that? Ah, I see. We can now confirm that this is NOT a terrorist attack as we are just getting word now that the perpetrator is white."

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Too bad for the guy that he was on the wrong side of the border, where police officers don't shoot on sight. Hats off to the Canadian police for keeping their cool and acting professionally.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@perfect_blue: You're an absolute nutjob.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

@SUD123456: The “incel” community and people who idolize Elliot rogers generally tend to be what you’d consider “alt-right”, though definitely not traditionally conservative.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
@vfighter said:

@perfect_blue: You're an absolute nutjob.

*yawn* how boring. At least tell us why I'm an absolute nut job. If you have nothing to actually add, why even bother?

Though looking at your posts, I'd wager if the perpetrator was the slightest shade of brown you'd be the first yelling "TERRORIST!".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
@SUD123456 said:

@perfect_blue: Where do you get the idea that this guy was alt-right, let alone whether his political leanings had anything to do with this?

And Elliot Rodger was a whack job who had a problem with sex, couldn't get any, and decided to hate women. Moreover, if you want to just go with sheer body count then alt-right activity leading to death is a tiny fraction of the body count problem in the US. So frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about.

From what the media was saying. That this guy was a member of the so-called "incel community", which are squarely in the alt-right camp.

As for Elliot Rodger, your description, while simplified, is true. But he was also a domestic terrorist with a clear manifesto and views that were extreme anti-feminism and racist (particularly against interracial couples). There's a straight line between him and the MRA/RedPill section of the alt-right, and if the media and Facebook posts of Minassian is to be believed, and him.

In terms of terrorism in the US, I'd say right-wing terrorism is definitely a major threat.

https://www.splcenter.org/20180205/alt-right-killing-people

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 N64DD

@perfect_blue said:
@SUD123456 said:

From what the media was saying. That this guy was a member of the so-called "incel community", which are squarely in the alt-right camp.

As for Elliot Rodger, your description, while simplified, is true. But he was also a domestic terrorist with a clear manifesto and views that were extreme anti-feminism and racist (particularly against interracial couples). There's a straight line between him and the MRA/RedPill section of the alt-right, and if the media and Facebook posts of Minassian is to be believed, and him.

In terms of terrorism in the US, I'd say right-wing terrorism is definitely a major threat.

Weird, Chad and Stacy is usually a SJW term. This guy was a nut case.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SUD123456

@perfect_blue: Nowhere is the msm saying he was a member of the 'incel' community, whatever that really is. CBC refers to a single facebook post referencing Rodger. CBC clearly states that they don't even know whether it is fake or not.

Furthermore, they infer the 'incel' connection not from Manassian, but only via the connection with Rodger. And there was no evidence that Rodger was alt-right to begin with. What there was evidence of his that he had sexual problems that led him to hate women. Are you saying that alt-right people generally hold that view?

Logically your connections that this act is inspired by alt-right philosophy are non-existent at this stage, and frankly I think you are letting your political views cloud your judgement.

Clearly professional gamblers are the biggest threat to homeland security as per the Vegas guy with the biggest body count. Moreover I am sure I could dig up some tenuous connections via facebook of other shooters playing slots, sports betting, visiting Vegas, etc. That is the logic you are using. Think about it.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SUD123456

@perfect_blue said:
@SUD123456 said:

Your link between Rodger and the alt-right is complete bull. Rodger left a 100 page manifesto about his life, every person he ever met, every key part of his thinking, and everything that went into philosophy. It is entirely about his self image and preoccupation with sex. I suggest you read it since it is a singular individual statement based entirely on loneliness and a totally screwed up obsession with sex that deepens over time. He was not inspired by alt-right philosophy, racism, or anyone elses thoughts.

If whack jobs want to admire this person, much like writing to mass murderers so be it, but it is ridiculous to characterize this guy as alt-right or his deeds and outcomes as alt-right inspired. He says exactly why in plentiful detail.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@SUD123456 said:

Your link between Rodger and the alt-right is complete bull. Rodger left a 100 page manifesto about his life, every person he ever met, every key part of his thinking, and everything that went into philosophy. It is entirely about his self image and preoccupation with sex. I suggest you read it since it is a singular individual statement based entirely on loneliness and a totally screwed up obsession with sex that deepens over time. He was not inspired by alt-right philosophy, racism, or anyone elses thoughts.

If whack jobs want to admire this person, much like writing to mass murderers so be it, but it is ridiculous to characterize this guy as alt-right or his deeds and outcomes as alt-right inspired. He says exactly why in plentiful detail.

You've got me confused, I never said Rodger was inspired by the alt-right. He IS the alt-right... as in, a prototype. The inspiration and progenitor to groups like MRAs and the denizens on r/RedPill. I have read it and it's filled with misogyny and racism. Regardless, I don't think it's ridiculous to characterize him post-fact based off a movement and group that clearly was inspired by Rodger. Individuals and symbols get co-opted all the time. Even the SPLC seems to think he is.

@SUD123456 said:

@perfect_blue: Nowhere is the msm saying he was a member of the 'incel' community, whatever that really is. CBC refers to a single facebook post referencing Rodger. CBC clearly states that they don't even know whether it is fake or not.

Furthermore, they infer the 'incel' connection not from Manassian, but only via the connection with Rodger. And there was no evidence that Rodger was alt-right to begin with. What there was evidence of his that he had sexual problems that led him to hate women. Are you saying that alt-right people generally hold that view?

Logically your connections that this act is inspired by alt-right philosophy are non-existent at this stage, and frankly I think you are letting your political views cloud your judgement.

Clearly professional gamblers are the biggest threat to homeland security as per the Vegas guy with the biggest body count. Moreover I am sure I could dig up some tenuous connections via facebook of other shooters playing slots, sports betting, visiting Vegas, etc. That is the logic you are using. Think about it.

The bolded: MRAs and RedPillers fall under alt-right, so sure. Take a gander on the forums and places on the internet where MRAs and "incels" gather.

As for Minassian, perhaps I am jumping the gun just a wee bit based off my own speculation and biases just like anyone else, I can admit that. I'm all ears if you have a different interpretation of events and information thus far, though.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N64DD

@perfect_blue said:
@SUD123456 said:

You've got me confused, I never said Rodger was inspired by the alt-right. He IS the alt-right... as in, a prototype. The inspiration and progenitor to groups like MRAs and the denizens on r/RedPill. I have read it and it's filled with misogyny and racism. Regardless, I don't think it's ridiculous to characterize him post-fact based off a movement and group that clearly was inspired by Rodger. Individuals and symbols get co-opted all the time. Even the SPLC seems to think he is.

@SUD123456 said:

The bolded: MRAs and RedPillers fall under alt-right, so sure. Take a gander on the forums and places on the internet where MRAs and "incels" gather.

As for Minassian, perhaps I am jumping the gun just a wee bit based off my own speculation and biases just like anyone else, I can admit that. I'm all ears if you have a different interpretation of events and information thus far, though.

He used to walk around meowing at things. I think the guy was a few cans short of a six pack.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Shit, if it ain’t an illegal alien there’s no news.