Switzerland outlaws the boiling of lobsters- really?

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

https://www.dailywire.com/news/25994/switzerland-outlaws-boiling-lobster-alive-because-paul-bois

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, abortion is 100% okay, but the cooking of an a bug isn't.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/25994/switzerland-outlaws-boiling-lobster-alive-because-paul-bois

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, abortion is 100% okay, but the cooking of an a bug isn't.

This is actually funny considering it´s one of the few european countries that allow for people to kill themselves with the doctors help.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

This is actually funny considering it´s one of the few european countries that allow for people to kill themselves with the doctors help.

My thoughts exactly haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I couldn’t read past the first paragraph. Awful journalism.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jacanuk

@perfect_blue said:

I couldn’t read past the first paragraph. Awful journalism.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-swiss-lobster/lobsters-must-be-comfortably-numb-before-cooking-swiss-government-idUSKBN1EZ1GK

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

How the heck is that a problem? It is their life, how they spend or end it is up to them. Anyone who euthanizes a dementia patient that has 'consented to die' needs to spend the rest of their life screaming in agony. If however a person is suffering and no longer wishes to continue letting doctors prod at them endlessly in an effort to milk six more months out of their life, I don't see how the government kicking down the door and dragging everyone to prison is helpful.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

why is that funny?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Dr. Zoidberg must be a hit there.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

You mean they won't allow us to brutally torture animals to death anymore? The bastards! Next thing you know they'll be telling us we can't keep baby animals in cages that don't allow them to move so that they'll taste better!

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Decapod are more intelligent than people give them credit for and they feel pain. Boiling then alive is considered cruel.

I had pet land crabs (Gecarcinus lateralis) that seemed smarter than my sister’s hamster, granted said hamster was dumber than a box of rocks so that may not be saying much. If you’re going to eat an animal like that at least do it the service if killing it first before you boil it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

I wouldn’t care to be boiled alive under the presumption of my ability to experience pain or not either.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Oh the humanity.
A nation isn't going to boil lobsters while they are alive anymore, what is next?
Soaking lettuce in Holy water before you slice it?
Scream out " sorry" every time you stomp on grapes so to make wine?

Eh, Switzerland doing their own thing. Oh well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I dont think it's that big of a deal. Throwing a living creature into a pot of boiling water does seem somewhat cruel. Granted, if we really looked into the food industry, I'm sure we'd find much worse. Nevertheless, I dont fault them for trying to be more humane.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I'm sure you can find plenty of dumb laws passed in each of the 50 states within the US.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

This was a fun related read. I didn't realize that insects didn't feel pain.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

Pretty misleading topic title. It prevents the boiling of lobsters alive.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I mean, you are boiling alive a creature so that you can then eat it. I get where that could make people feel uncomfortable and how they might see it as inhumane. Would you do the same to other creatures? A dog or cat perhaps?

For the record I do understand that there are a lot of more pressing things out there to deal with, but I still understand why they did this.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk

@kittennose said:
@Jacanuk said:

How the heck is that a problem? It is their life, how they spend or end it is up to them. Anyone who euthanizes a dementia patient that has 'consented to die' needs to spend the rest of their life screaming in agony. If however a person is suffering and no longer wishes to continue letting doctors prod at them endlessly in an effort to milk six more months out of their life, I don't see how the government kicking down the door and dragging everyone to prison is helpful.

It's a problem because ethically it's wrong way for any government to go. I get the whole it's their life and all. But it's still society's task to protect vulnerable people.

And prison?

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

It's a problem because ethically it's wrong way for any government to go. I get the whole it's their life and all. But it's still society's task to protect vulnerable people.

And prison?

Why is it the responsibility of the government to protect a person from their own desire to avoid a few months of torturous life before their inevitable death?

I could see some argument for emo teenagers who turn to doctor assisted suicide in an effort to escape the fact that no one understands them, but it seems silly to apply such logic to the terminally ill.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50588 Posts

Not going to lie, I side on the lobsters side lol. I can't help but feel bad for them as they boil alive.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Save a lobster, boil a fascist.

:)

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Could care less, but "University of Maine’s Lobster Institute" sounds like a fake organization.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@bmanva said:

Could care less, but "University of Maine’s Lobster Institute" sounds like a fake organization.

It's legit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58396 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

My thoughts exactly haha

One of those acts is cruel, two are not.

hint: boiling a live lobster is the cruel one.

Lobsters can feel pain or the equivalent of it, and honestly it's so easy to just put a knife in the middle of it's head (or, even better, put it in the freezer for 20 minutes to put it asleep).

Fetuses are not people yet, and people wanting to be euthanized are taking the matter into their own hands.

I know what you're getting at, people > animals, but c'mon man that's apples to potatoes to monkeys.

@drunk_pi said:
@bmanva said:

It's legit.

and worth it; there is big money in lobster, not to mention a lot of independent lobstermen. A lot of purveyers will pass off different species of lobster as Atlantic/Maine lobster, it's important to know the difference.

Hell if you even harvest undersized lobsters you get fined like 500 dollars per lobster. Seafood is serious shit, man, check out crab fishing and abalone diving regulations in California, it's crazy.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

**** shellfish. I gotta go through all that effort for so little meat. I'm just saying...make yourself easier to eat, maybe you don't get boiled alive. Do you see people throwing live cows onto a grill? No. I'm not saying animal cruelty is right, but sometimes the bitch is asking for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

My thoughts exactly haha

If someone wants to die, that's their choice. But did you ask lobsters if they want to get brutally tortured to death?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

LOL Who honestly cares? It's a lobster.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@joebones5000 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

You have written probably one of the dumbest false analogies I have read so far.

Not only is the analogy not useful at all, nor applicable to the discussion, but it also negates the bigger question of how the poster sees the state. The state "allows" this to happen. From my view the state should allow just about everything, until there's sufficient reason to NOT allow something. So it's like a double whammy of...hmm...let's say not thinking critically.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It's not about killing the lobster, it's about torturing it while it is being killed.