Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

You can officially apply for student debt relief right now thanks to the Biden administration. Discuss all you want, but if you have unpaid loans I highly recommend you apply for this immediately. It took me 10 minutes, but it should take you less if you already know the information requested (I wanted to make sure I was giving the email they had on file). I doubt there's anything more lucrative that you can be doing with your time than applying for a minimum of $10k, and up to $20k if you took pell grants, off of what you owe. Do it! Do it now!

Then, I don't know, leave a comment if you feel like it.

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Well, it's not like I lose anything from applying. I'm currently still sitting on $30,000 of student loan debt so I won't turn my nose up at any potential assistance....

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

If you have debt and can use this money, go out and use it.

It's your/our money after all, and you shouldn't be giving the banks as much as you are.

Happy for the people that can benefit from this. My roommate just paid off his debt using this.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's your/our money after all, and you shouldn't be giving the banks as much as you are.

Happy for the people that can benefit from this. My roommate just paid off his debt using this.

Yup, I've been quiet about it, mostly because I've always said that it would be okay with me to have not received this aid on personally, but I too will have completely zeroed out my debt using this. I had previously said that this would cut my loans by two-thirds, but I had forgotten (due to the website I was using) that I had taken out Pell Grants, which means I should be eligible for complete cancellation.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts
@Serraph105 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Yup, I've been quiet about it, mostly because I've always said that it would be okay with me to have not received this aid on personally, but I too will have completely zeroed out my debt using this. I had previously said that this would cut my loans by two-thirds, but I had forgotten (due to the website I was using) that I had taken out Pell Grants, which means I should be eligible for complete cancellation.

Dude that's awesome, warms my heart. Enjoy not being a debt slave for the next 10+ years😀

Now you just have to remember to always pay your credit card off in full, and you should be good for life 😋

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Serraph105 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Dude that's awesome, warms my heart. Enjoy not being a debt slave for the next 10+ years😀

Now you just have to remember to always pay your credit card off in full, and you should be good for life 😋

there's always more reasons to get back into debt..

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I applied. Lol feels good too chip it away

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

It doesn't help me at all, but I'm glad it will help a lot of people.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/student-loan-forgiveness-appeals-court-temporarily-pauses-biden-plan/

Appeals court temporarily pauses student loan forgiveness plan

A federal appeals court Friday is blocking President Biden's student loan forgiveness program. The 8th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a temporary stay in response to an emergency motion brought by attorneys for several Republican-led states after a lower court ruled that their September lawsuit to stop the debt forgiveness program lacked standing.

They stay is not based on the merits, but allows for further briefings on the issue next week.

As always, this will be interesting to watch play out in court and the mental gymnastics which will be on display to justify the program via the heroes act.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/student-loan-forgiveness-appeals-court-temporarily-pauses-biden-plan/

Appeals court temporarily pauses student loan forgiveness plan

A federal appeals court Friday is blocking President Biden's student loan forgiveness program. The 8th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a temporary stay in response to an emergency motion brought by attorneys for several Republican-led states after a lower court ruled that their September lawsuit to stop the debt forgiveness program lacked standing.

They stay is not based on the merits, but allows for further briefings on the issue next week.

As always, this will be interesting to watch play out in court and the mental gymnastics which will be on display to justify the program via the heroes act.

Important note: It does not halt the application or review processes. Everyone can continue applying as normal.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

So I take it if you have a "personal loan" does it really work if one doesn't have a student loan?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

It doesn't help me at all, but I'm glad it will help a lot of people.

Wouldn't it indirectly help you?

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

As someone who made it through college with no student debt thanks to a scholarship, this is great! While it doesn’t impact my debts at all, it helps some people I know with theirs (good) and puts the money that would’ve gone toward payment either back into the economy or savings (better).

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl

@horgen: How do you mean?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serraph105

@mattbbpl: I'm not sure what horgen's reasons are, but the way I see it if millions of people suddenly don't have to pay a monthly fee they have extra discretionary money to spend on the people around them local businesses, restaurants, maybe the industry that you're in to some degree, etc and it just helps the economy overall for people to be able to spend a little extra money in ways that help those around them.

It's the same deal when unemployment nationally lowers a bit, it might not be you that gets one of the jobs, , but maybe a few million more people have money to spend on something that you are associated with.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl

@Serraph105: Yeah, I'm with you on the economic benefits. I just wasn't sure if that's what he had in mind, or something a little more direct.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@mattbbpl: I'm not sure what horgen's reasons are, but the way I see it if millions of people suddenly don't have to pay a monthly fee they have extra discretionary money to spend on the people around them local businesses, restaurants, maybe the industry that you're in to some degree, etc and it just helps the economy overall for people to be able to spend a little extra money in ways that help those around them.

It's the same deal when unemployment nationally lowers a bit, it might not be you that gets one of the jobs, , but maybe a few million more people have money to spend on something that you are associated with.

More or less what I meant to post but Glitchspot glitched on me :(

The extra spending also means extra tax money paid.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Just as predicted, the courts have already put a stop to it. Joe Biden knew he didn't have the authority to do it. I knew it, I said it. It was just a lie for election day and now that election day is here you can be assured it isn't going to happen.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#19 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@eoten said:

Just as predicted, the courts have already put a stop to it. Joe Biden knew he didn't have the authority to do it. I knew it, I said it. It was just a lie for election day and now that election day is here you can be assured it isn't going to happen.

It is entertaining, especially when the Biden administration has on multiple occasions went with the "we know this won't be constitutional but we'll do it anyways" mindset, that we don't hear those same doomsday/totalitarian drum beating.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@eoten said:

It is entertaining, especially when the Biden administration has on multiple occasions went with the "we know this won't be constitutional but we'll do it anyways" mindset, that we don't hear those same doomsday/totalitarian drum beating.

Yeah, he makes a lot of claims and promises and writes EOs he knows will get turned over by courts. Then the usual parrots come in and claim Trump appointed judges are ruining the country rather than calling out their own leadership for doing things that simply aren't legal for them to do. The US isn't, or at least it shouldn't be a dictatorship and basic parts of the constitution as well as the same separation of powers we have always have would tell someone capable of thinking that a lot of Biden claims weren't going to happen, and it was all just fluff and bullshit for the election.

They got lied to and used so those lying to them could hope to retain some of their power over them, and they won't even hold their own leaders accountable for doing it.