Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

The Hill

The president of the United Steelworkers union says the group is "terribly disappointed" with President Trump, who he says has done nothing to protect American jobs since taking office last January.

In an interview with CNN, United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard said that American workers are in some ways worse off now than they were just a year ago.

"We're terribly disappointed and hugely frustrated," Gerard told CNN. "There's been no action that has done anything to protect and defend American jobs. ... In some cases we're worse off now than we were then."

Chief among Gerard's concerns is the Trump administration's investigation, announced last April, into steel and aluminum imports from China and other countries suspected of violating trade practices.

At the time, Trump called the investigation “a historic day for American steel and, most importantly, for American steelworkers," and predicted that his administration would take action stemming from the investigation by the summer. So far, no action has been taken.

Part of the Trump administration's dialing back of pressure on China has been due to North Korean aggression, which Trump hopes China will help the U.S. solve.

In December, he told The New York Times that he has been "soft" on China for the sake of issues of national security, but wouldn't dismiss the possibility of tightening the screws on China's trade practices in the future.

"China's hurting us very badly on trade, but I have been soft on China because the only thing more important to me than trade is war, OK?" Trump said.

“Oil is going into North Korea. That wasn’t my deal!” he added. “If they don’t help us with North Korea, then I do what I’ve always said I want to do.”

They are shocked... how?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I don't even feel bad for them.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

This man is in a position where he should have known better. It's his job to have known better.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

This man is in a position where he should have known better. It's his job to have known better.

Yes indeed.

@Serraph105 said:

I don't even feel bad for them.

No sympathy from me either. Given Trump's business history, they should've know that.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Con man’s a con man. No sympathy for those dumb and gullible enough to listen to one.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

CNN = fake news

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Con man’s a con man. No sympathy for those dumb and gullible enough to listen to one.

Epecially when it's well known that Trump's a con man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

If they are inherently dumb and gullible, can they really be at fault? I'd have sympathy in that case.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Epecially when it's well known that Trump's a con man.

Not that well known.....most of those who voted for him believed his lies....hell they still do.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@MirkoS77 said:

If they are inherently dumb and gullible, can they really be at fault? I'd have sympathy in that case.

Good point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Good point.

Thank you.

Regardless of our own personal views of Trump (I think mine are well documented) some people really don't know better. The country needs to improve in a lot of ways so people don't fall for such a con.

Those people who still support him, though...

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

A business tycoon fails to keep his promises to the American people while fattening the paychecks of the elite?

Well jeez, I didn't expect that at all!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

The president of the United Steelworkers union says the group is "terribly disappointed" with President Trump, who he says has done nothing to protect American jobs since taking office last January.

In an interview with CNN, United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard said that American workers are in some ways worse off now than they were just a year ago.

"We're terribly disappointed and hugely frustrated," Gerard told CNN. "There's been no action that has done anything to protect and defend American jobs. ... In some cases we're worse off now than we were then."

Chief among Gerard's concerns is the Trump administration's investigation, announced last April, into steel and aluminum imports from China and other countries suspected of violating trade practices.

At the time, Trump called the investigation “a historic day for American steel and, most importantly, for American steelworkers," and predicted that his administration would take action stemming from the investigation by the summer. So far, no action has been taken.

Part of the Trump administration's dialing back of pressure on China has been due to North Korean aggression, which Trump hopes China will help the U.S. solve.

In December, he told The New York Times that he has been "soft" on China for the sake of issues of national security, but wouldn't dismiss the possibility of tightening the screws on China's trade practices in the future.

"China's hurting us very badly on trade, but I have been soft on China because the only thing more important to me than trade is war, OK?" Trump said.

“Oil is going into North Korea. That wasn’t my deal!” he added. “If they don’t help us with North Korea, then I do what I’ve always said I want to do.”

They are shocked... how?

Maybe this guy should look at the unemployment rate.

Since Trump took office is 0.8% lower, so not sure how american workers can be worse off? This guy is clearly a muppet.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drunk_PI

@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

They are shocked... how?

Since Trump took office is 0.8% lower, so not sure how american workers can be worse off? This guy is clearly a muppet.

You can tell someone's a racist when they ignore the hard work and effort of a black man and credit the good work to a white man who didn't do much at all.

The Obama Administration saw the unemployment rate go down from 10/11% to 4/5%, with a gain of jobs, corporate profits, increased healthcare coverage and so on.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

They are shocked... how?

You can tell someone's a racist when they ignore the hard work and effort of a black man and credit the good work to a white man who didn't do much at all.

The Obama Administration saw the unemployment rate go down from 10/11% to 4/5%, with a gain of jobs, corporate profits, increased healthcare coverage and so on.

Wtf are you on?

Also you may want to read what i wrote, not try to come with some shit that are just there to destroy the debate.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Drunk_PI

@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

They are shocked... how?

Wtf are you on?

Also you may want to read what i wrote, not try to come with some shit that are just there to destroy the debate.

I read what you wrote. You're giving credit to someone who doesn't deserve it. It's typical of Republicans who take but never make, who steal but don't help others.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@drunk_pi: You're an idiot if you do t think both parties don't the same thing.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk

@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

They are shocked... how?

Wtf are you on?

Also, you may want to read what I wrote, not try to come with some shit that is just there to destroy the debate.

I read what you wrote. You're giving credit to someone who doesn't deserve it. It's typical of Republicans who take but never make, who steal but don't help others.

Clearly, you did not read what I actually wrote.

Or, are you that partisan that you will deny that the unemployment rate is 0.8% lower than before Trump took office? Which is all I said. I never said what the cause of the decline was.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:

Wtf are you on?

Also, you may want to read what I wrote, not try to come with some shit that is just there to destroy the debate.

Or, are you that partisan that you will deny that the unemployment rate is 0.8% lower than before Trump took office? Which is all I said. I never said what the cause of the decline was.

the agreement pretty much across the board by professionals on this subject attribute that to Obama and not Trump given the fact that until only about 3 weeks ago has pasted virtual zero legislation whatsoever.

but with that said, who is in control over that department? someone trump hired?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:

Wtf are you on?

the agreement pretty much across the board by professionals on this subject attribute that to Obama and not Trump given the fact that until only about 3 weeks ago has pasted virtual zero legislation whatsoever.

but with that said, who is in control over that department? someone trump hired?

Way to go, and like Drunk, missing the point.

Answer this question. Are American workers better or worse off, with having an unemployment rate 0.8% less than it was a year ago?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:

Wtf are you on?

Answer this question. Are American workers better or worse off, with having an unemployment rate 0.8% less than it was a year ago?

neither.

so whats your point then?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:

neither.

So American workers are not better off with having less unemployment? meaning more people are employed.

Which world do you live in? or did you not understand the question.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:

neither.

So American workers are not better off with having less unemployment? meaning more people are employed.

that is correct they are not better off.

so again...

what

is

your

point

?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

neither.

so again...

what

is

your

point

?

Are you ok?

You may want to go lay down and relax a bit, because you may have had a stroke.

But let´s be straight here. Of course, American workers are better off with having fewer people be unemployed. Providing for yourself and your family is a good thing.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

neither.

so again...

what

is

your

point

?

Are you ok?

You may want to go lay down and relax a bit, because you may have had a stroke.

But let´s be straight here. Of course, American workers are better off with having fewer people be unemployed. Providing for yourself and your family is a good thing.

dude!

what difference does it make to making your $%^&*( point!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear to god I hope your point is NOT that Trump has made the economy better. because its highly insulting to suggest that i 'missed the point' if that is the point. oh...hold my rage back..

what is your point?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

White blue collar worker (or at least a representative of them) gets taken in by Trump's racist rhetoric, justifies it with a bunch of economic nonsense, and then acts surprised when Trump doesn't deliver on his economic promises, why am I not surprised? We told people like him that Trump didn't care about workers, he didn't listen.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Drunk_PI

@vfighter said:

@drunk_pi: You're an idiot if you do t think both parties don't the same thing.

Oh look, it's the, "BuT ThEY ArE ThE SaME!1!" bullshit.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

it was pretty well known going into election day that Trump had been using Chinese steel in his buildings. But every time someone pointed out that Trump was railing against something he himself exploited, Trump just waved his hands about "don't hate the playa" and people bought it.

Jacanuk, you can't trust those unemployment numbers - Trump said so. The real rate is 40%. Any decline is just people dropping out of the job market /Trumpcampaigntalkingpoints

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

From reading this thread it sounds like some of you think the president of the steelworkers of America actually supported Trump and is now disappointed? He never supported Trump and does not now either. Don't believe for a second he is literally surprised by this.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@mark1974 said:

From reading this thread it sounds like some of you think the president of the steelworkers of America actually supported Trump and is now disappointed? He never supported Trump and does not now either. Don't believe for a second he is literally surprised by this.

it will be interesting to see how this special congressional election goes in March. District 18 in PA is steel (and coal) country and voted for Trump by 20 points. But that's not really what the commercials are focusing on. The R is going full blast about the tax cuts and Pelosi, and the D is really tacking a course down the middle, calling for more bipartisanship and new leaders on both sides of the aisle.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

He shouldn't feel disappointment, he should feel shame for backing Trump, encouraging people to vote for him.

SHAME!

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@drunk_pi: I see we've both reached the point where that claim invokes the same internal response.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jacanuk

@mrbojangles25 said:

He shouldn't feel disappointment, he should feel shame for backing Trump, encouraging people to vote for him.

SHAME!

You may want to check up on who he is

He was backing Clinton and is also a Canadian.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

SHAME!

one thing I have noticed about The Right they always try to justify a bad behavior simply by saying the other side does it to.

They never even try to take an elevated moral position on anything...ever

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

SHAME!

one thing I have noticed about The Right they always try to justify a bad behavior simply by saying the other side does it to.

Not quite sure what you are talking about.

But my post was a correction since he never backed Trump and therefore hardly can feel ashamed for backing someone he didn´t.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

SHAME!

But my post was a correction since he never backed Trump and therefore hardly can feel ashamed for backing someone he didn´t.

Fair enough, misread.

WTF is he doing saying "we" aftering talking about American steelworkers. Though I guess Canada is North America :P

Canadians, do you call yourselves American?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jacanuk

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

SHAME!

Fair enough, misread.

WTF is he doing saying "we" aftering talking about American steelworkers. Though I guess Canada is North America :P

Canadians, do you call yourselves American?

He lives in America but is Canadian. And, is only the 2nd Canadian to be voted foreman for the American steelworkers.

But considering he backed Clinton and not Trump, I'm not sure why he is acting like he would not be disappointed no matter what happened.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Awww...someone's disappointed. Feels.....It happens.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

They are shocked... how?

Trump hasn't enacted any policy that addresses the unemployment rate. It's been steadily falling due to his predessor's policies. Deal with it.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

They are shocked... how?

Trump hasn't enacted any policy that addresses the unemployment rate. It's been steadily falling due to his predessor's policies. Deal with it.

Thanks, Obama!

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

Steelworkers are needed in wind energy. You need steelworkers for those wind turbines. Plus renewable energy is here to stay and we're moving towards that.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

The Hill

They are shocked... how?

Since Trump took office is 0.8% lower, so not sure how American workers can be worse off? This guy is clearly a muppet.

Good job in missing the point.

Also, you may want to check experts opinion on a presidents effect on the economy. Most agree that a president's policies are just a small part.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

I don't care what the president of the United Steelworkers think. In 2003 Bush broke the law to help the steelworkers with foreign pricing and dumping and to show their gratitude they campaigned against. He was the only president to ever take those steps to help them. Obama tried to put the steel industry out of business but not a peep from them, so scre3w them.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By horgen
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Jacanuk: You seem to attribute the 0,8 % drop in unemployment to Trump, yet when the answer to that is Trump benefitting from policies enabled by the previous administration you claim that the President has a very little impact on the economy. So what is it?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jacanuk

@horgen said:

@Jacanuk: You seem to attribute the 0,8 % drop in unemployment to Trump, yet when the answer to that is Trump benefitting from policies enabled by the previous administration you claim that the President has a very little impact on the economy. So what is it?

Never said anything of the kind.

All I am pointing out is that in Januar 2017 the rate was 4.9% and in January 2018 it´s 4.1%. So no matter the reason a dumbo would see that American workers are better off now than at the same time in 2017.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 horgen

@Jacanuk: He may be referring to his group of workers, i.e. steelworkers.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jacanuk

@horgen said:

@Jacanuk: He may be referring to his group of workers, i.e. steelworkers.

Perhaps, but even they are better off today than last year, sure it may not be as a steelworker, but they have a higher chance now of finding a new job.

The thing is tho that CNN did not ask him what he meant or present what he said in a journalistic professional way. A good journalist would ask him what he meant and also question his motives.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen

@Jacanuk: Their pay has increased more than inflation? Better benefits?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jacanuk

@horgen said:

@Jacanuk: Their pay has increased more than inflation? Better benefits?

Not pay increase.

Just a higher chance of getting employed, should they be so unfortunate and be without one.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 horgen

@Jacanuk: and according to yourself, maybe not as a steelworker. Hard to claim that steelworkers are better off then. It is rather a general better marked for workers, though perhaps not for steelworkers.

Even if the general marked is better, does not mean a specific submarked is better than before.