qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/states-warn-money-about-to-run-out-for-food-stamps-during-government-shutdown/905616456

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - As the government shutdown is about to enter its record 27th day, families across the country are fighting to make ends meet.

Some families are already battling with anxiety about how they're going to put food on the table, while desperately hoping for the shutdown to end.

Families already in need are facing another challenge during the shutdown. Money for February will be loaded onto EBT cards in the next few days, at least two weeks earlier than usual, but still has to last through the end of February.

Recipients are being told to budget the money and plan ahead because if the government shutdown isn’t resolved soon, officials say there may not be any money for SNAP benefits in March.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

On the bright side, our obesity rating may go down.

Tarnalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tarnalia
Member since 2019 • 33 Posts

@qx0d said:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/states-warn-money-about-to-run-out-for-food-stamps-during-government-shutdown/905616456

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - As the government shutdown is about to enter its record 27th day, families across the country are fighting to make ends meet.

Some families are already battling with anxiety about how they're going to put food on the table, while desperately hoping for the shutdown to end.

Families already in need are facing another challenge during the shutdown. Money for February will be loaded onto EBT cards in the next few days, at least two weeks earlier than usual, but still has to last through the end of February.

Recipients are being told to budget the money and plan ahead because if the government shutdown isn’t resolved soon, officials say there may not be any money for SNAP benefits in March.

They should get a second job.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Bob Costa: "Couple senior Republican lawmakers tell me the only way this breaks open is if TSA employees stay home and Americans get furious about their flights. That’s the only out, they say. And they’re close to the WH."

Sorry food stamp recipients. You've got to be the right people to make any waves, and people struggling to eat aren't the right type. People who regularly fly on airplanes are.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Trump doesn't care and as long as the corrupt turtle McConnell is doing the dirty work of blocking everything, I think this is going to continue.

And of course the whole irony here is this will impact the welfare-dependent red states more than anything.

Can we stop voting against our own interests yet?

@vl4d_l3nin said:

fat chance (:P), crappy food is cheap food. No one get's to eat healthier when they're broke, and you can starve while fat.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Has trump's base figured out he doesn't care about them yet?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Can't you see how he is draining the swamp? :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Well there are so many more alligators in the swamp we can walk across safely....a la James Bond.. ;p

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts
@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Obviously this is the real reason the government is shutdown. Can't have a swamp if there is no water supply.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Well there are so many more alligators in the swamp we can walk across safely....a la James Bond.. ;p

Indeed. A perfect solution.

@Vaasman said:
@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Obviously this is the real reason the government is shutdown. Can't have a swamp if there is no water supply.

Haha. Another way to look at it.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vl4d_l3nin

@mrbojangles25: People tend to get garbage food with food stamps as well. You can get healthy food as well, but like you said, it costs more.

Obesity rating accelerated after the mid-80's expansion of food stamps. Child obesity skyrocketed after the 1993 Childhood Hunger Relief Act. The states with the highest food stamps rating per capita tend to be the fattest. I think there is a connection. You really should look at how many families in the south stock their pantries with absolute crap food, paid for by the state.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Red state obesity count, which is by far the highest on average.

I guess this means Trump really does care about his base! Trying to get them to lose weight.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Are we great yet?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105

This video should be put in the OP of every topic made about the Trump shutdown.

Loading Video...

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

This video should be put in the OP of every topic made about the Trump shutdown.

Loading Video...

"Trump Shutdown"

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 vl4d_l3nin

@Serraph105: Oh noes! Trump lies a lot. Never saw that coming.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vl4d_l3nin
@zaryia said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

I guess this means Trump really does care about his base! Trying to get them to lose weight.

I made the post only half in jest. I really do think food stamps are a leading reason for the obesity in this country.

Are we in agreement?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl

@vl4d_l3nin: Wouldn't a program directly lifting a family's food budget actually decrease obesity if having to eat cheap food is a contributing factor to its rise?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@zaryia said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

I made the post only half in jest. I really do think food stamps are a leading reason for the obesity in this country.

Are we in agreement?

Maybe poverty is wherein junk food is cheaper than healthy food..............

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Serraph105

@vl4d_l3nin said:

I didn't say he lied. At least not in this thread. Good to know you recognize it though. It's awfully telling that you couldn't give a shit.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic  Online

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Shame you support that. Total shame.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vaasman

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@zaryia said:

Are we in agreement?

Obesity in America, and any country for that matter (we aren't the fattest nation by % population) has a large collection of roots that generally stem from poor health education, abundant supply, and mental illness.

There is very little evidence to indicate any one program or political association caused these issues.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vl4d_l3nin
@mattbbpl said:

@vl4d_l3nin: Wouldn't a program directly lifting a family's food budget actually decrease obesity if having to eat cheap food is a contributing factor to its rise?

There isn't much evidence of that. in fact, it seems to be the opposite. Only 40% of food stamps is used to purchase meat, fruit, veggies, milk, eggs, or bread. Almost everything else goes to junk food, pre-packaged foods, and cereals.

In 2011, we spent over half a billion dollars buying people soda, which is almost 10% of all food stamp subsidies for that year. That's unacceptable.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Regardless of persuasion and the like/dislike of a politician, everyone here should be in agreement that depending on the government has to be a crappy and nerve racking way to live.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mattbbpl

@vl4d_l3nin: How would cutting a family's food budget help them avoid the cheap food?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

As someone on food stamps, this would only bother me if I thought the shutdown would last til March. It's sad if people put SNAP in their budget. It's there for emergencies and as a supplement. Anyone that's been a cashier knows how frustrating it can be watching people get redbulls and steaks or not even bothering to buy items on sale or use coupons. I'm obviously not referring to everyone but the majority. People won't go hungry... They'll just need to shop smarter and maybe put any unnecessary expenses on hold for a bit.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic  Online

@joshrmeyer said:

As someone on food stamps, this would only bother me if I thought the shutdown would last til March. It's sad if people put SNAP in their budget. It's there for emergencies and as a supplement. Anyone that's been a cashier knows how frustrating it can be watching people get redbulls and steaks or not even bothering to buy items on sale or use coupons. I'm obviously not referring to everyone but the majority. People won't go hungry... They'll just need to shop smarter and maybe put any unnecessary expenses on hold for a bit.

Spoken like a true republican..........

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@joshrmeyer: Where do steak and energy drinks rank on the list of items most commonly purchased with SNAP?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JoshRMeyer

@mattbbpl: Right up there with snickers bars and soda.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl

@joshrmeyer: Which is where?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoshRMeyer

@LJS9502_basic: Wow.... What a response. How about you stay on subject instead of attacking me? (I've never voted Republican fyi).

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JoshRMeyer

@joshrmeyer: I'm not sure what you're looking for? A number? I'm going based off personal 5+ years of experience. Maybe I have to put this before my comment: "In my experience..." Better?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

And let´s look at this thread

Democrats - This is the republicans fault and they should all hang

Republicans - This is the Democrat's fault and they should all hang.

Instead of focusing on both sides and the fact that people are so entrenched that it hurts all Americans.

But no surprise, it´s Trump after all.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk said:

And let´s look at this thread

Democrats - This is the republicans fault and they should all hang

Republicans - This is the Democrat's fault and they should all hang.

Instead of focusing on both sides and the fact that people are so entrenched that it hurts all Americans.

But no surprise, it´s Trump after all.

Sorry, but bothsideism is no longer a legitimate argument. Not after the Tea Party and Trump.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

Sorry, but bothsideism is no longer a legitimate argument. Not after the Tea Party and Trump.

And thanks for proving my point.

Democrats are so hung up on losing the election and the fact that their "progressive" ideas have been shut down and sent packing that no amount of reason can hit through the wall you guys have built up.

5.7 billion is nothing in the grand scheme of things and Democrats have before agreed to give money to increased border security.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattbbpl

@joshrmeyer said:

@joshrmeyer: I'm not sure what you're looking for? A number? I'm going based off personal 5+ years of experience. Maybe I have to put this before my comment: "In my experience..." Better?

I'm assuming this was a response to me, even though you aimed it at yourself.

Yes, I'm looking for a number - something like this (or here for the article's source material). Something other than anecdotes hearkening back to the welfare queen rhetoric of Reagan.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

And thanks for proving my point.

Democrats are so hung up on losing the election and the fact that their "progressive" ideas have been shut down and sent packing that no amount of reason can hit through the wall you guys have built up.

5.7 billion is nothing in the grand scheme of things and Democrats have before agreed to give money to increased border security.

I'm more than happy to prove your point that Republicans are reaping from the Democrats what they've sown for years.

It's about time, to be frank.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

I'm more than happy to prove your point that Republicans are reaping from the Democrats what they've sown for years.

“An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.”

But good on you for trying to seem like the moral high ground when you are down with the pigs and wrestle in the mud.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

“An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.”

But good on you for trying to seem like the moral high ground when you are down with the pigs and wrestle in the mud.

I'm on record here clearly stating that I'm not taking the more high ground in this regard. It's a losing recipe.

I'm done pretending that Republicans will stop punching low after they lose elections and then cry that their opponents leverage their power. **** 'em. As soon as they have the power again, they'll **** everyone else that they can just like that always do.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jacanuk

@mattbbpl said:

I'm on record here clearly stating that I'm not taking the more high ground in this regard. It's a losing recipe.

I'm done pretending that Republicans will stop punching low after they lose elections and then cry that their opponents leverage their power. **** 'em. As soon as they have the power again, they'll **** everyone else that they can just like that always do.

And good for you.

It´s good that the Americans who are hurting because of this shutdown can warm themselves with the thoughts that at least they get that evil "inputyourropposingpartyhere"

No wonder America is fucked.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I feel bad for all the obese and illiterate Republicans in Mississippi. This has to be hitting them hard.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Serraph105

@mattbbpl: I'm loving the new you tonight.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic  Online

@joshrmeyer said:

@LJS9502_basic: Wow.... What a response. How about you stay on subject instead of attacking me? (I've never voted Republican fyi).

Interesting that you consider that an insult...........

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Vaasman said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@zaryia said:

Are we in agreement?

Obesity in America, and any country for that matter (we aren't the fattest nation by % population) has a large collection of roots that generally stem from poor health education, abundant supply, and mental illness.

There is very little evidence to indicate any one program or political association caused these issues.

Not necessarily 100% the case,

The association between county political inclination and obesity: Results from the 2012 presidential election in the United States

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4692249/

Our results suggest that county-level obesity risk may be positively associated with established, county-level, voter preferences for Republican candidates who are more likely to emphasize a personal responsibility approach to reducing obesity risk than their Democrat counterparts, and who may downplay the role that government policies could play, despite the scientific consensus that a multi-sectoral approach is effective (U.S. Department of Agriculture, USDA, 2010). Conversely, county-level obesity risk may be negatively associated with stable, county-level, voter preferences for Democratic candidates whose political philosophy are likely to support multi-sectoral approaches to reducing obesity risk similar to those recommended by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control, CDC, 2009). Future decisions, regulations and policies about how to address and control the obesity epidemic will necessarily involve government intervention (Crammond et al., 2013), because they involve workplace, school, marketing and agricultural policies, none of which individuals can control by themselves. While the politics around choosing strategies to combat obesity will continue to be debated in the US, the consequences and implications of such interventions and policies will be applicable internationally. The politics around obesity reduction, and more generally, the politics around food production and marketing will become more salient as the global food industry continues to consolidate, food preferences and demands change, and local food availability is altered.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JoshRMeyer

@mattbbpl: Oops... So soda or sweetened beverages are #1. Kinda what I said. But my point was that they'll be fine and shouldn't live like food stamps are part of their spending budget. Basically: We'll live without food stamps.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vaasman
@zaryia said:
@Vaasman said:

Not necessarily 100% the case,

The association between county political inclination and obesity: Results from the 2012 presidential election in the United States

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4692249/

Our results suggest that county-level obesity risk may be positively associated with established, county-level, voter preferences for Republican candidates who are more likely to emphasize a personal responsibility approach to reducing obesity risk than their Democrat counterparts, and who may downplay the role that government policies could play, despite the scientific consensus that a multi-sectoral approach is effective (U.S. Department of Agriculture, USDA, 2010). Conversely, county-level obesity risk may be negatively associated with stable, county-level, voter preferences for Democratic candidates whose political philosophy are likely to support multi-sectoral approaches to reducing obesity risk similar to those recommended by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control, CDC, 2009). Future decisions, regulations and policies about how to address and control the obesity epidemic will necessarily involve government intervention (Crammond et al., 2013), because they involve workplace, school, marketing and agricultural policies, none of which individuals can control by themselves. While the politics around choosing strategies to combat obesity will continue to be debated in the US, the consequences and implications of such interventions and policies will be applicable internationally. The politics around obesity reduction, and more generally, the politics around food production and marketing will become more salient as the global food industry continues to consolidate, food preferences and demands change, and local food availability is altered.

Notice I said any one program or association. While I won't argue against the idea that a Republican policy of self-responsibility is ultimately counter-intuitive, it's a major logical leap to say Republicans cause obesity. That is correlation, not causation. There are a myriad of overweight nations that don't have the same political party dynamics at all. I stand by the assertion that these are issues of education, access, and overall wellbeing.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Trump is doing people a favour. They will lose weight now.

This also encourages people to get a job.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mattbbpl

@Serraph105: Haha, I am so done with the people who punch freely but then cry when the people they harm hit back.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

People shouldn't be so dependent on these things

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Serraph105

@mattbbpl: Yes, claiming an eye for an eye will blind the world only works if you aren't supporting people who go around giving black eyes.