R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Statement by Bruce Bartlett before the Democratic Policy and Communications Committee On Tax Reform

Four decades ago, while working for Rep. Jack Kemp (R-N.Y.), I had a hand in creating the Republican tax myth. Of course, it didn’t seem like a myth at that time — taxes were rising rapidly because of inflation and bracket creep, the top tax rate was 70 percent and the economy seemed trapped in stagflation with no way out. Tax cuts, at that time, were an appropriate remedy for the economy’s ills. By the time Ronald Reagan was president, Republican tax gospel went something like this:

• The tax system has an enormously powerful effect on economic growth and employment.
  • High taxes and tax rates were largely responsible for stagflation in the 1970s.
  • Reagan’s 1981 tax cut, which was based a bill, co-sponsored by Kemp and Sen. William Roth (R-Del.), that I helped design, unleashed the American economy and led to an abundance of growth.

Based on this logic, tax cuts became the GOP’s go-to solution for nearly every economic problem. Extravagant claims are made for any proposed tax cut. Wednesday, President Trump argued that “our country and our economy cannot take off” without the kind of tax reform he proposes. Last week, Republican economist Arthur Laffer said, “If you cut that [corporate] tax rate to 15 percent, it will pay for itself many times over. … This will bring in probably $1.5 trillion net by itself.”

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

The excerpt I posted is just the opening, and doesn't really contain much of the more economic rhetoric that is in the rest of the article -- in short, read the article.