Speaker Paul Ryan to Retire

#1 Posted by mattbbpl (15310 posts) -

Speaker Paul Ryan told his House Republican colleagues Wednesday that he will not seek another term in Congress, ending what will be a three-year run as the Republican leader and creating a power vacuum in the Republican ranks heading into a difficult midterm election.

Ryan's retirement presents the House GOP many open questions. He already has fundraisers planned well into the spring. Will big-dollar donors still fork over six-figure checks to the National Republican Congressional Committee and the Congressional Leadership Fund if Ryan is leaving Will Ryan remain a lame duck speaker until after the November elections? Or will he be pressured to schedule leadership elections in the coming weeks?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/11/ryan-to-retire-after-this-year-514543

#2 Edited by Perfect_Blue (30675 posts) -

Lol what a coward.

#3 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34544 posts) -

Man, this administration is a mess.

#4 Posted by Serraph105 (32261 posts) -

I was just about to post this. Straight up I'm hoping this leads to (more) republican in-fighting in the house. Reading the tea leaves a bit though and I wonder if this would be an opportunity for republicans to put in a guy more in line with Trump if democrats fail to take the House. That would be particularly worrisome.

#5 Posted by Needhealing (819 posts) -

So should you delete your thread or should I?

#6 Posted by Serraph105 (32261 posts) -

Also what do you guys think the future of his political career will be? On the one hand Paul is only 48 so he's relatively young. Will he want to come back? Does he have presidential ambitions left over from when he almost became VP, or was that never really about becoming VP so much as increasing his name recognition? If he does want to be president he will have to wait a long time before he a true viable path assuming crazy shit like impeachment of Trump doesn't happen he will have to wait until 2024 at the least making him 56 and out of the game for a while.

Maybe he will try for something like head of the RNC instead, or maybe he's more like Boehner and is truly done. Obviously time will tell.

#7 Posted by Serraph105 (32261 posts) -

@needhealing said:

So should you delete your thread or should I?

Did something change that makes this thread incorrect?

#8 Posted by Jacanuk (13281 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

Speaker Paul Ryan told his House Republican colleagues Wednesday that he will not seek another term in Congress, ending what will be a three-year run as the Republican leader and creating a power vacuum in the Republican ranks heading into a difficult midterm election.

Ryan's retirement presents the House GOP many open questions. He already has fundraisers planned well into the spring. Will big-dollar donors still fork over six-figure checks to the National Republican Congressional Committee and the Congressional Leadership Fund if Ryan is leaving Will Ryan remain a lame duck speaker until after the November elections? Or will he be pressured to schedule leadership elections in the coming weeks?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/11/ryan-to-retire-after-this-year-514543

Hmm, what a shame but i do not blame him to be fair.

He never had the bone to be a proper politician

#9 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30675 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

Also what do you guys think the future of his political career will be? On the one hand Paul is only 48 so he's relatively young. Will he want to come back? Does he have presidential ambitions left over from when he almost became VP, or was that never really about becoming VP so much as increasing his name recognition? If he does want to be president he will have to wait a long time before he a true viable path assuming crazy shit like impeachment of Trump doesn't happen he will have to wait until 2024 at the least making him 56 and out of the game for a while.

Maybe he will try for something like head of the RNC instead, or maybe he's more like Boehner and is truly done. Obviously time will tell.

He's got his corporate tax cuts passed which was his #1 goal along. I think he will leave politics for good.

#10 Posted by Jacanuk (13281 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:
@Serraph105 said:

He's got his corporate tax cuts passed which was his #1 goal along. I think he will leave politics for good.

Don´t count on that

He is just skipping this re-election and will come back stronger after the Democrats win the white house.

#11 Posted by mattbbpl (15310 posts) -

@Serraph105: My gut instinct is to say he's unlikely to run for president. Speakers have a hard time becoming president because they have so much high profile baggage.

He could run for a lower office like senator, but I'm guessing he'll cash in with a lobbying gig or other private sector reward.

#12 Posted by mattbbpl (15310 posts) -

@needhealing: I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Which thread conflicts with this one?

#13 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30675 posts) -

@Jacanuk: You think he will be stronger in a Democrat-led House? Lol, okay whatever you say...

#14 Posted by Jacanuk (13281 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@Jacanuk: You think he will be stronger in a Democrat-led House? Lol, okay whatever you say...

No, what I am saying is that once the Democrats have won the mid-terms and in 2020, the "blue-wave" will be over and people will get back to their normal routine and not be up in arms against Trump.

A lot of people are just anti-trump and vote for anyone that is against that.

And Ryan will probably be back then.

#15 Edited by Perfect_Blue (30675 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Okay, I see now. That is your opinion and my opinion is he’s done with politics.

#16 Posted by Jacanuk (13281 posts) -

@perfect_blue said:

@Jacanuk: Okay, I see now. That is your opinion and my opinion is he’s done with politics.

Yup, but Ryan is Ryan and i don´t think his ego can handle not being in politics.

What else would he do, go back to some lobby job,

#17 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (1272 posts) -

He's a pretty ineffective Speaker. I don't think he wanted the role. He was much better on the budget committee.

#18 Posted by resevl4rlz (3776 posts) -

either he's getting out before the feds find something he did, or he knows the blue wave is coming and is planning a presidential run in 2020.. now if turtle man can retire

#19 Posted by korvus (11093 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Yup, but Ryan is Ryan and i don´t think his ego can handle not being in politics.

What else would he do, go back to some lobby job,

Not to mention some people do better as the opposition than they do as the party in power. The former involves pointing fingers, the latter involves finding solutions. Both are important but each definitely requires a different set of skills.

#20 Posted by theone86 (21555 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

I was just about to post this. Straight up I'm hoping this leads to (more) republican in-fighting in the house. Reading the tea leaves a bit though and I wonder if this would be an opportunity for republicans to put in a guy more in line with Trump if democrats fail to take the House. That would be particularly worrisome.

It actually might lead to less. He's been a polarizing figure amongst Republicans since he got into the position, and the Tea Party wing has been especially critical of him. That being said, if it leads to someone being nominated as speaker or, god willing, minority leader that's even further to the right it could serve to further alienate voters who aren't comfortable with the extreme direction the party has taken in recent decades.

#21 Posted by judaspete (2293 posts) -

@vl4d_l3nin said:

He's a pretty ineffective Speaker. I don't think he wanted the role. He was much better on the budget committee.

No one wanted the role. Ryan only took the job after party leaders begged him to. They are self aware enough to know leading the current crop of Republicans is like herding cats.

#22 Posted by DaVillain- (29019 posts) -

I thought Paul Ryan didn't want to be House Speaker in the first place? Maybe he's just decided he's had enough of the circus and is ready to call it quits?

#23 Posted by sonicare (56034 posts) -

Democrats, should be happy because in addition to destroying the country's well being, Trump has also irrevocably destroyed the republican party. By 2022, they will likely be a marginalized group.

#24 Edited by bigfootpart2 (613 posts) -

@sonicare said:

Democrats, should be happy because in addition to destroying the country's well being, Trump has also irrevocably destroyed the republican party. By 2022, they will likely be a marginalized group.

The Republican Party was probably finished as a major party anyway, at least if you look at things long term. Their voter base is getting old, dying off, and not being replaced by that many people. Trump being so awful just moved things up by a few decades.

#25 Posted by Zaryia (3900 posts) -

The shark infested blue wave claims another life.

#26 Posted by joebones5000 (1740 posts) -

One less snake in the grass.

#27 Posted by Baconstrip78 (964 posts) -

@Jacanuk: I could see that happening. I personally don’t hate Republicans...but I do hate Trump and will do anything to punish the GOP for this scourge.

#28 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9590 posts) -

@bigfootpart2 said:
@sonicare said:

The Republican Party was probably finished as a major party anyway, at least if you look at things long term. Their voter base is getting old, dying off, and not being replaced by that many people. Trump being so awful just moved things up by a few decades.

Parties generally adopt new positions over time to adjust to changes in the population. I think the republican party would have ended up ok in the long run except that Trump has ruined them so much for the next decade or so that now I'm not sure. They will either change or something else will take their place, though.