Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

What an undemocratic shit-show.

South Carolina GOP appears to violate own rules in canceling primary for Trump

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/460391-south-carolina-gop-appears-to-violate-own-rules-in-canceling-primary-for

The South Carolina Republican Party appeared to violate its own rules on Saturday when the party's executive committee voted to cancel next year's primary election.

The executive committee voted nearly unanimously to cancel the primary, state party chairman Drew McKissick said, because President Trump had drawn "no legitimate primary challenger."

Trump has drawn two former Republican elected officials as challengers. Former Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) -- who served two terms as governor of South Carolina -- is also considering joining the field.

Any of those candidates may decide to sue the South Carolina GOP, some Republican insiders said, because Saturday's vote ran contrary to the state party's rules.

The rule that governs South Carolina's presidential preference primary allows the state party to cancel the primary only by a vote at the state party convention, within two years of the subsequent primary.

South Carolina Republicans did not vote to cancel the primary at either of its last two conventions.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23883 Posts

While bad in principle, this ultimately changes nothing.

Trump is the most popular republican politician out there, and winning a primary against a standing president is quite difficult.

All they did was speed up the inevitability.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Trump is the most popular republican politician out there, and winning a primary against a standing president is quite difficult.

That should be up to the people to decide.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, so not against the laws but against internal rules.

Not sure what you are trying to paint here but the republicans can decide what they want so do not have a problem with them not holding a "mock primary" for some idiotic "republican" who thinks they can beat Trump and be nominated.

Waste of money and resources.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

Parties can decide their nominees with a ham sandwich eating contest - the methods and rules are almost entirely up to them.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:

Not sure what you are trying to paint here but the republicans can decide what they want so do not have a problem with them not holding a "mock primary" for some idiotic "republican" who thinks they can beat Trump and be nominated.

Didn't the Republicans chastise DNC and Hillary over similarly issues with the Sanders primary?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Maroxad said:

Then where’s your thread criticizing California for passing a law preventing Trump from being on the Republican primary ballet unless he agrees to release his taxes, which isn’t required in the Constitution to run for president?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#8 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Didn't the Republicans chastise DNC and Hillary over similarly issues with the Sanders primary?

Hm but to draw a comparison of an open seat primary to an incumbent running for Presidential re-election?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic

@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Maroxad said:

Then where’s your thread criticizing California for passing a law preventing Trump from being on the Republican primary ballet unless he agrees to release his taxes, which isn’t required in the Constitution to run for president?

https://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2019/aug/08/california-republican-party/no-president-trump-wasnt-kicked-california-ballot-/

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ad1x2
@LJS9502_basic said:
@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Maroxad said:

https://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2019/aug/08/california-republican-party/no-president-trump-wasnt-kicked-california-ballot-/

That article doesn't disprove what I said. Based on the new law, Trump can't participate in the California primary, which takes away a choice of California Republicans unless he releases his taxes. I didn't say anything about the general election.

Regardless of whether or not you think he should release them, releasing tax returns is not a requirement of the Constitution to run for president.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

That article doesn't disprove what I said. Based on the new law, Trump can't participate in the California primary, which takes away a choice of California Republicans unless he releases his taxes. I didn't say anything about the general election.

Regardless of whether or not you think he should release them, releasing tax returns is not a requirement of the Constitution to run for president.

It actually does disprove what you said.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ad1x2
@LJS9502_basic said:
@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Gov. Gavin Newsom did sign Senate Bill 27 into law last week. But it doesn’t prevent Trump or anyone else from appearing on the California ballot, nor does it mean he’s "kicked off."

Instead, it requires candidates for president and governor to release five years of tax returns to run in the state’s primary. The requirement does not extend to the general election.

The underlined says exactly what I mentioned earlier, which is that Trump can't participate in the primaries unless he releases his taxes. You're not going to spin this into something else. I never claimed that he was restricted from running in their general election.

Sure, you could respond by saying "well, all he has to do is release his taxes and he can run," but that is not what the Constitution says is required. This isn't an "you can add to but you can't take away" scenario; this isn't the military.

Would you be okay if a state like Washington passed a law stating you could only appear on the presidential primary if you signed a pledge stating that you would push for laws fighting climate change, if Alabama passed a law stating that you could only appear in their primary if you sign a pledge to push for laws restricting abortion, or if Utah said you could only appear on the ballet if you were Mormon?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Gov. Gavin Newsom did sign Senate Bill 27 into law last week. But it doesn’t prevent Trump or anyone else from appearing on the California ballot, nor does it mean he’s "kicked off."

Instead, it requires candidates for president and governor to release five years of tax returns to run in the state’s primary. The requirement does not extend to the general election.

The underlined says exactly what I mentioned earlier, which is that Trump can't participate in the primaries unless he releases his taxes. You're not going to spin this into something else. I never claimed that he was restricted from running in their general election.

Sure, you could respond by saying "well, all he has to do is release his taxes and he can run," but that is not what the Constitution says is required. This isn't an "you can add to but you can't take away" scenario; this isn't the military.

Would you be okay if a state like Washington passed a law stating you could only appear on the presidential primary if you signed a pledge stating that you would push for laws fighting climate change, if Alabama passed a law stating that you could only appear in their primary if you sign a pledge to push for laws restricting abortion, or if Utah said you could only appear on the ballet if you were Mormon?

Whataboutism yay! He is not booted off just because. And the rules in California apply to ALL candidates.

Note the facts put your stance at pants on fire.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ad1x2

@LJS9502_basic said:

Whataboutism yay! He is not booted off just because. And the rules in California apply to ALL candidates.

Show me in the Constitution where it says you are required to show your last five years of tax returns to run for president.

Better yet, let me know if you truly believe California would have passed that law if Hillary Clinton was president right now.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Show me in the Constitution where it says you are required to show your last five years of tax returns to run for president.

Better yet, let me know if you truly believe California would have passed that law if Hillary Clinton was president right now.

You deflected. Nonetheless this law applies to everyone of all parties.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

"what about....."

Who cares? This is internal rules and they can decide what they want. It´s not against the law and if they decide not to waste money and time on someone who is clearly using this as a platform to further his own career, I have zero issues like I also have with how DNC runs their business.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk
@LJS9502_basic said:
@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

First of all it´s none of the democratic governors business how both parties run their primaries and this law is highly unconstitutional and if it does not get struck down by the supreme court, I will be very surprised.

Also, your link clearly states two things, to get into the primary ballot the candidate must release 5 years, which is none of their business and is clearly a ploy to avoid a future "trump"

While it does not apply to the general election, it does not need to consider the importance California has in the election.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ad1x2

@LJS9502_basic said:

Voter ID laws if passed supposedly apply to everyone of all parties and walks of life, but that doesn't stop people against it from saying it should never be implemented because they say it targets minorities more likely to vote Democratic.

I'm not here to change your mind specifically, I'm just pointing out how people are saying things they wouldn't tolerate in other situations are totally okay in these particular situations because they could potentially hurt Trump. You're not the only person reading my replies.

Keep denying it if you want, and I’m sure that a few other posters will agree with you because, well Orange Man Bad and he should just release his taxes anyway. Doesn't change the facts that the law was specifically made to get Trump out of the primaries.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@ad1x2 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

The vast majority of the laws, rules, and regulations that apply to you are not in the constitution. They don't have to be. The only requirement is that the constitution can't say that those laws, rules, and regulations are illegal.

The issue in South Carolina is that the organization in question (the republican party) is failing to follow its own rules. This should be a slam dunk case in a civil lawsuit, and I think the affected parties at the very least should be able to get the cost of their presidential campaigns refunded by the party. That would only be fair.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

"what about....."

Who cares? This is internal rules and they can decide what they want. It´s not against the law and if they decide not to waste money and time on someone who is clearly using this as a platform to further his own career, I have zero issues like I also have with how DNC runs their business.

That wasn't a whataboutism, I was actually just asking you a question.

And if it turns out they did, that would be hypocrisy.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:

That wasn't a whataboutism, I was actually just asking you a question.

And if it turns out they did, that would be hypocrisy.

Well, everyone in politics is a hypocrite when it comes to the "other side"

But again who cares what they do it´s internal rules and there are no laws that prevent them from doing what they want

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

The GOP is a private organization and can shut down any primary attempt they want. It's a bit rich considering how people constantly ripped on the DNC in 2016 for not being 'fair' to Sanders though (ignoring that super delegates didn't need to come into play to see him lose).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk
@HoolaHoopMan said:

The GOP is a private organization and can shut down any primary attempt they want. It's a bit rich considering how people constantly ripped on the DNC in 2016 for not being 'fair' to Sanders though (ignoring that super delegates didn't need to come into play to see him lose).

For once we agree.

Sanders got a fair primary and lost because he lacked the right appeal to the masses.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

The GOP is a party of fascism and its adherents a danger.

;)