So how do we stop global warming/climate change?

  • 136 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for zaryia
#101 Edited by Zaryia (3834 posts) -
@mighty-lu-bu said:

Sorry, but I don't follow that bullshit logic. Obama was in office for 8 years and what did he do about climate change? Not a damn thing, but remember according to liberals Obama was the greatest president ever... hahaha stupid people and millennials need to stop getting into politics because the left is a joke at this point.

Huh?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/05/climate/trump-environment-rules-reversed.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/10/the-trump-administration-repeals-obamas-central-climate-rule/542403/

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/10/trump-obama-climate-clean-energy-243655

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/08/15/trump-to-reverse-obama-era-order-aimed-at-planning-for-climate-change/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-climate-policy-20171006-story.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world-0/barack-obama-donald-trump-paris-agreement-climate-change-jakarta-speech-global-warming-us-presidents-a7820536.html

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/how-trump-is-changing-science-environment/

Please do not state factual inaccuracies when this data is so easily researched. It's clear were the 2 sides stand on this.

Avatar image for comeonman
#102 Posted by ComeOnMan (80 posts) -

Space is a very very very cold place. Any geologist worth his credentials will tell you we are living between ice ages. The sun is heading in to a period of very low activity. We'll all be wishing for some global warming in the future.

https://www.space.com/23934-weak-solar-cycle-space-weather.html

https://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/diminishing-solar-activity-may-bring-new-ice-age-by-2030/

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/the-weakest-solar-cycle-in-100-years/

Of course, if you still want to hang on to this notion that the presence of humanity is the problem, you can follow this guys example. I don't agree with Mr. Buckel's views, but I admire his dedication.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/nyregion/david-buckel-dead-fire.html

Avatar image for theone86
#103 Posted by theone86 (21510 posts) -
@comeonman said:

Space is a very very very cold place. Any geologist worth his credentials will tell you we are living between ice ages. The sun is heading in to a period of very low activity. We'll all be wishing for some global warming in the future.

https://www.space.com/23934-weak-solar-cycle-space-weather.html

https://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/diminishing-solar-activity-may-bring-new-ice-age-by-2030/

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/the-weakest-solar-cycle-in-100-years/

Of course, if you still want to hang on to this notion that the presence of humanity is the problem, you can follow this guys example. I don't agree with Mr. Buckel's views, but I admire his dedication.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/nyregion/david-buckel-dead-fire.html

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2015/10/earths-warming-how-scientists-know-its-not-the-sun/

Scientists point to compelling evidence that Earth's atmospheric warming over recent decades cannot be caused primarily by energy coming from the Sun.

Because the energy Earth receives from the Sun hasn’t changed much at all over the past few decades. In fact, since about 1960 this energy has been on a slight downward trend, while Earth keeps getting warmer.

Gerald Meehl of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and colleagues found that a Maunder Minimum-like decline from 2020 to 2070 would reduce human-caused global warming by several tenths of a degree, at a time when warming from pre-Industrial times will likely be in the 2.5⁰F to 5⁰F (1.5⁰C to 3⁰C) range.

And, once solar activity returns to more normal values, the slight cooling would disappear and the climate would warm back to where it would have been without the solar cooling.

Swing and a miss.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#104 Posted by foxhound_fox (97096 posts) -

Honestly? Religion and conservative moral values are creating a large part of the problem.

Fundamentalist religion makes people think birth control and abortion are wrong (overpopulation is a large part of the global warming problem, especially with the large consumption of beef products, more people trying to live a first world lifestyle, using more fossil fuels), it makes them fear science and see the liberal, secular world as an enemy to their existence (creating distrust in everything down to medical science, just look at the homeopathic movement) and religion puts women as second class to men and tries to eliminate their ability to think for themselves (making them subservient baby machines).

On top of this, in the US religion is a corporation, not a belief system, and they are largely in control of the government, allowing them to prevent science from making inroads on anything politically (i.e. moving towards cleaner fuel/energy sources) and in combination with the mass ignorance of their followers, no one is able to see what they are doing. There is literally TRILLIONS of dollars of untaxed revenue US churches generate on a YEARLY basis that just goes back into making churches bigger, and buying off more politicians.

We need the big political movers and shakers on the planet to make giant changes to their environmental policies. Shifts need to move away from fossil fuels and towards renewable, clean energy. Unfortunately, the US is going in the opposite direction because of the morons in charge are loyal to their corporate sponsors, not sanity.

99% of modern scientists agree that global warming and climate change is happening and is threatening the future of the Earth and humanity. But we can't trust them, oh no, a bunch of people on Youtube know more than their entire collected work.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#105 Edited by KungfuKitten (25176 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: What would help is if the 'web of knowledge' were made publicly accessible. By hiding information from the people it creates a sense of distrust. I would like to see scientists circumventing publishers to save costs and make the information available to everyone. It would be much harder to doubt findings in the case there is easy to find publicly available evidence of robust and thorough research done by multiple nations or groups with conflicting interests that anyone has access to, to verify or investigate on their own.

Journalists have no access either, which is why any media coverage on studies is terrible. They're all based on what is said in press conferences. Heck there are even scientists in undeveloped countries who cannot pay for access to important documentation. And given how a non-scientist recently figured out a hundreds of times cheaper method to detect certain forms of a disease than a team of scientists could come up with, I would wager that by giving the people free access to worldwide research it would very much lead to interesting findings that we would all greatly benefit from. As an aside.

I do hear they are slowly getting better about it. So there's that. But it's still a far cry from publicly available legal web software to assist open-source research by the public. I get that peer-assisted reviews cost money, and I also get that not all research is funded by the public, but I do think those fees should be included in a nation's taxation because it's too important. And right now people pay for publicly funded research and don't get to see what the money has been spend on or what the results were, and millions of brains of which a couple are extraordinary don't get to process the results which could have led to important insights.

Avatar image for mighty-lu-bu
#106 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2966 posts) -
@zaryia said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

Sorry, but I don't follow that bullshit logic. Obama was in office for 8 years and what did he do about climate change? Not a damn thing, but remember according to liberals Obama was the greatest president ever... hahaha stupid people and millennials need to stop getting into politics because the left is a joke at this point.

Huh?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/05/climate/trump-environment-rules-reversed.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/10/the-trump-administration-repeals-obamas-central-climate-rule/542403/

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/10/trump-obama-climate-clean-energy-243655

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/08/15/trump-to-reverse-obama-era-order-aimed-at-planning-for-climate-change/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-climate-policy-20171006-story.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world-0/barack-obama-donald-trump-paris-agreement-climate-change-jakarta-speech-global-warming-us-presidents-a7820536.html

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/how-trump-is-changing-science-environment/

Please do not state factual inaccuracies when this data is so easily researched. It's clear were the 2 sides stand on this.

I didn't say anything about Trump, what I said was that Obama did nothing. I don't care what Obama believed in because the fact of the matter is that he and his administration didn't accomplish a lot in terms of climate change.

Again, what does Trump have anything to do with this?

Avatar image for horgen
#107 Posted by Horgen (117404 posts) -

@mighty-lu-bu: But if Obama did nothing, Trump should not have anything to do in order to undo every change Obama made.

Avatar image for horgen
#108 Posted by Horgen (117404 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

@foxhound_fox:

I do hear they are slowly getting better about it. So there's that. But it's still a far cry from publicly available legal web software to assist open-source research by the public. I get that peer-assisted reviews cost money, and I also get that not all research is funded by the public, but I do think those fees should be included in a nation's taxation because it's too important. And right now people pay for publicly funded research and don't get to see what the money has been spend on or what the results were, and millions of brains of which a couple are extraordinary don't get to process the results which could have led to important insights.

Come to think of it. Why aren't public funded research open so the public can read it?

Avatar image for mighty-lu-bu
#109 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2966 posts) -
@horgen said:

@mighty-lu-bu: But if Obama did nothing, Trump should not have anything to do in order to undo every change Obama made.

I'm not following the logic- how is that my fault? How is it the fault of Republicans? None of us wanted Donald Trump as the president, but it was certainly better than the alternative who is still touring around the world playing the blame game in regards to why she lost the election. At this point, she has blamed everyone except herself.

I am highly conservative and I think we need to take certain measures at protecting our environment and our planet, but at the same time I do not the federal government to have more power. The federal government sucks at everything.

Avatar image for n64dd
#110 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@horgen said:
@KungfuKitten said:

@foxhound_fox:

I do hear they are slowly getting better about it. So there's that. But it's still a far cry from publicly available legal web software to assist open-source research by the public. I get that peer-assisted reviews cost money, and I also get that not all research is funded by the public, but I do think those fees should be included in a nation's taxation because it's too important. And right now people pay for publicly funded research and don't get to see what the money has been spend on or what the results were, and millions of brains of which a couple are extraordinary don't get to process the results which could have led to important insights.

Come to think of it. Why aren't public funded research open so the public can read it?

I agree, it should be more transperent.

Avatar image for horgen
#111 Posted by Horgen (117404 posts) -

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@horgen said:

@mighty-lu-bu: But if Obama did nothing, Trump should not have anything to do in order to undo every change Obama made.

I'm not following the logic- how is that my fault? How is it the fault of Republicans? None of us wanted Donald Trump as the president, but it was certainly better than the alternative who is still touring around the world playing the blame game in regards to why she lost the election. At this point, she has blamed everyone except herself.

I am highly conservative and I think we need to take certain measures at protecting our environment and our planet, but at the same time I do not the federal government to have more power. The federal government sucks at everything.

And suddenly Hillary is in the discussion. Amazing. I didn't see that one coming. You really blew my mind there.

The federal government can set some common minimum laws for what is required regarding pollution and cleaning it before it leaves the powerplant/factory etc. Where that line should go, I don't know and don't want to discuss.

You said Obama did nothing. Then Trump should not have to do anything to reverse what Obama did. If A did nothing, then B shouldn't have to do anything to undo what A did. The Clean Power Plan is being withdrawn.

I must ask though. Did you expect the environment to improve drastically while Obama was president? You know climate change is kinda a slow process.

Avatar image for mighty-lu-bu
#112 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2966 posts) -
@horgen said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@horgen said:

@mighty-lu-bu: But if Obama did nothing, Trump should not have anything to do in order to undo every change Obama made.

I'm not following the logic- how is that my fault? How is it the fault of Republicans? None of us wanted Donald Trump as the president, but it was certainly better than the alternative who is still touring around the world playing the blame game in regards to why she lost the election. At this point, she has blamed everyone except herself.

I am highly conservative and I think we need to take certain measures at protecting our environment and our planet, but at the same time I do not the federal government to have more power. The federal government sucks at everything.

And suddenly Hillary is in the discussion. Amazing. I didn't see that one coming. You really blew my mind there.

The federal government can set some common minimum laws for what is required regarding pollution and cleaning it before it leaves the powerplant/factory etc. Where that line should go, I don't know and don't want to discuss.

You said Obama did nothing. Then Trump should not have to do anything to reverse what Obama did. If A did nothing, then B shouldn't have to do anything to undo what A did. The Clean Power Plan is being withdrawn.

I must ask though. Did you expect the environment to improve drastically while Obama was president? You know climate change is kinda a slow process.

If Trump is making worse than that is something that I don't support.

Avatar image for n64dd
#113 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@horgen said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@horgen said:

@mighty-lu-bu: But if Obama did nothing, Trump should not have anything to do in order to undo every change Obama made.

I'm not following the logic- how is that my fault? How is it the fault of Republicans? None of us wanted Donald Trump as the president, but it was certainly better than the alternative who is still touring around the world playing the blame game in regards to why she lost the election. At this point, she has blamed everyone except herself.

I am highly conservative and I think we need to take certain measures at protecting our environment and our planet, but at the same time I do not the federal government to have more power. The federal government sucks at everything.

And suddenly Hillary is in the discussion. Amazing. I didn't see that one coming. You really blew my mind there.

The federal government can set some common minimum laws for what is required regarding pollution and cleaning it before it leaves the powerplant/factory etc. Where that line should go, I don't know and don't want to discuss.

You said Obama did nothing. Then Trump should not have to do anything to reverse what Obama did. If A did nothing, then B shouldn't have to do anything to undo what A did. The Clean Power Plan is being withdrawn.

I must ask though. Did you expect the environment to improve drastically while Obama was president? You know climate change is kinda a slow process.

Climate change is naturally occuring. We'll be just fine.

Avatar image for zaryia
#114 Edited by Zaryia (3834 posts) -

@mighty-lu-bu: You might want to reread those links.

He's repealing Obama policies. Meaning Obama did things.....

Avatar image for npiet1
#115 Posted by npiet1 (473 posts) -

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. If the polar ice caps melt and don't freeze like they should the whole food web gets destroyed because when salt water freeze's the salt goes to the ocean floor which feeds many organisms that feed other organisms, Then you've got the storms to worry about because of the increased heat. If they don't happen year after year like they should the sand dunes in the sahara desert feed the rainforest of South America, if that doesn't happen it dies. Climate change is natural but the rate is increasing to fast and faster the climate changes, the eco-system can not keep up with it. This will cause our planet to turn into another Venus, which the world can not recover from.

Avatar image for mighty-lu-bu
#116 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2966 posts) -
@zaryia said:

@mighty-lu-bu: You might want to reread those links.

He's repealing Obama policies. Meaning Obama did things.....

Then that is something that I don't agree with. You do know that all conservatives are not in favor of Trump right? I support him simply because he is our president, but just because he was the Republican elected president doesn't mean I have to be in favor of everything that he does. I don't agree with a lot of what Trump does, but I also don't think he is akin to Hitler like some people on the left believe. My issue with Trump is that I don't think he is even a true conservative even though he has passed some of the most conservative legislation in decades.

Avatar image for horgen
#117 Posted by Horgen (117404 posts) -

@n64dd said:

Climate change is naturally occuring. We'll be just fine.

Normally at a much slower rate than now. If it is slow, we can adapt, animals can adapt. If it is sudden, many will die.

Avatar image for n64dd
#118 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. If the polar ice caps melt and don't freeze like they should the whole food web gets destroyed because when salt water freeze's the salt goes to the ocean floor which feeds many organisms that feed other organisms, Then you've got the storms to worry about because of the increased heat. If they don't happen year after year like they should the sand dunes in the sahara desert feed the rainforest of South America, if that doesn't happen it dies. Climate change is natural but the rate is increasing to fast and faster the climate changes, the eco-system can not keep up with it. This will cause our planet to turn into another Venus, which the world can not recover from.

They have been saying this for like 30-40 years now. Every year the polar ice caps are going to be completely gone in 10 years....yet here we are.

Avatar image for tryit
#119 Edited by TryIt (5480 posts) -
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. ...

thank the gods! all of them!

I have been saying this for more than a year now.

The debate over 'does global warming exist at all' died a few years ago but transformed into 'but its not humans fault' now hopefully that too will transform away.'

unfortunately however, I am in the camp who believes its too late now. which is ironic because I tend to save much more energy then most per person only because it makes my life better anyway regardless of the global effects! (the whole RV riding a bicycle lifestyle)

Avatar image for n64dd
#120 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@tryit said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. ...

thank the gods! all of them!

I have been saying this for more than a year now.

The debate over 'does global warming exist at all' died a few years ago but transformed into 'but its not humans fault' now hopefully that too will transform away.'

unfortunately however, I am in the camp who believes its too late now. which is ironic because I tend to save much more energy then most per person only because it makes my life better anyway regardless of the global effects! (the whole RV riding a bicycle lifestyle)

You play video games, use a computer to post on here. You use a lot of energy.

Who cares? Live your life. Earth will be fine.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#121 Posted by Mandzilla (466 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. ...

thank the gods! all of them!

I have been saying this for more than a year now.

The debate over 'does global warming exist at all' died a few years ago but transformed into 'but its not humans fault' now hopefully that too will transform away.'

unfortunately however, I am in the camp who believes its too late now. which is ironic because I tend to save much more energy then most per person only because it makes my life better anyway regardless of the global effects! (the whole RV riding a bicycle lifestyle)

You play video games, use a computer to post on here. You use a lot of energy.

Who cares? Live your life. Earth will be fine.

Earth will be fine yes, humans not so much.

Avatar image for n64dd
#122 Edited by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@mandzilla said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. ...

thank the gods! all of them!

I have been saying this for more than a year now.

The debate over 'does global warming exist at all' died a few years ago but transformed into 'but its not humans fault' now hopefully that too will transform away.'

unfortunately however, I am in the camp who believes its too late now. which is ironic because I tend to save much more energy then most per person only because it makes my life better anyway regardless of the global effects! (the whole RV riding a bicycle lifestyle)

You play video games, use a computer to post on here. You use a lot of energy.

Who cares? Live your life. Earth will be fine.

Earth will be fine yes, humans not so much.

We should have been eradicated decades ago according to EVERYBODY. Lets treat our planet better, and not scare people into doing it.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#123 Posted by Mandzilla (466 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@mandzilla said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. ...

thank the gods! all of them!

I have been saying this for more than a year now.

The debate over 'does global warming exist at all' died a few years ago but transformed into 'but its not humans fault' now hopefully that too will transform away.'

unfortunately however, I am in the camp who believes its too late now. which is ironic because I tend to save much more energy then most per person only because it makes my life better anyway regardless of the global effects! (the whole RV riding a bicycle lifestyle)

You play video games, use a computer to post on here. You use a lot of energy.

Who cares? Live your life. Earth will be fine.

Earth will be fine yes, humans not so much.

We should have been eradicated decades ago according to EVERYBODY. Lets treat our planet better, and not scare people into doing it.

People clearly treat the Earth however they want, without much forward thought. That's fine for most people, it probably won't drastically affect the majority of us in our lifetimes. Just don't have any illusions about humans being around for too much longer with the way things are going. As mentioned the Earth will still be here when we're all gone, all that man-made global warming does is precipitate our eventual extinction. Then again though, humanity is pretty much just a footnote in the overall history of the planet anyway.

*Edgy-mode deactivated.*

Avatar image for n64dd
#124 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@mandzilla said:
@n64dd said:
@mandzilla said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:

thank the gods! all of them!

I have been saying this for more than a year now.

The debate over 'does global warming exist at all' died a few years ago but transformed into 'but its not humans fault' now hopefully that too will transform away.'

unfortunately however, I am in the camp who believes its too late now. which is ironic because I tend to save much more energy then most per person only because it makes my life better anyway regardless of the global effects! (the whole RV riding a bicycle lifestyle)

You play video games, use a computer to post on here. You use a lot of energy.

Who cares? Live your life. Earth will be fine.

Earth will be fine yes, humans not so much.

We should have been eradicated decades ago according to EVERYBODY. Lets treat our planet better, and not scare people into doing it.

People clearly treat the Earth however they want, without much forward thought. That's fine for most people, it probably won't drastically affect the majority of us in our lifetimes. Just don't have any illusions about humans being around for too much longer with the way things are going. As mentioned the Earth will still be here when we're all gone, all that man-made global warming does is precipitate our eventual extinction. Then again though, humanity is pretty much just a footnote in the overall history of the planet anyway.

*Edgy-mode deactivated.*

You watch too many movies.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#125 Posted by Mandzilla (466 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@mandzilla said:
@n64dd said:
@mandzilla said:
@n64dd said:

You play video games, use a computer to post on here. You use a lot of energy.

Who cares? Live your life. Earth will be fine.

Earth will be fine yes, humans not so much.

We should have been eradicated decades ago according to EVERYBODY. Lets treat our planet better, and not scare people into doing it.

People clearly treat the Earth however they want, without much forward thought. That's fine for most people, it probably won't drastically affect the majority of us in our lifetimes. Just don't have any illusions about humans being around for too much longer with the way things are going. As mentioned the Earth will still be here when we're all gone, all that man-made global warming does is precipitate our eventual extinction. Then again though, humanity is pretty much just a footnote in the overall history of the planet anyway.

*Edgy-mode deactivated.*

You watch too many movies.

I guess.

Avatar image for npiet1
#126 Posted by npiet1 (473 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. If the polar ice caps melt and don't freeze like they should the whole food web gets destroyed because when salt water freeze's the salt goes to the ocean floor which feeds many organisms that feed other organisms, Then you've got the storms to worry about because of the increased heat. If they don't happen year after year like they should the sand dunes in the sahara desert feed the rainforest of South America, if that doesn't happen it dies. Climate change is natural but the rate is increasing to fast and faster the climate changes, the eco-system can not keep up with it. This will cause our planet to turn into another Venus, which the world can not recover from.

They have been saying this for like 30-40 years now. Every year the polar ice caps are going to be completely gone in 10 years....yet here we are.

Who said that 40 years ago? It was until 75 did remove lead from petrol. This is Greenland in Summer, this is the change of Ice in 10 years that's a lot faster than normal rate.

Avatar image for n64dd
#128 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@npiet1 said:
@n64dd said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. If the polar ice caps melt and don't freeze like they should the whole food web gets destroyed because when salt water freeze's the salt goes to the ocean floor which feeds many organisms that feed other organisms, Then you've got the storms to worry about because of the increased heat. If they don't happen year after year like they should the sand dunes in the sahara desert feed the rainforest of South America, if that doesn't happen it dies. Climate change is natural but the rate is increasing to fast and faster the climate changes, the eco-system can not keep up with it. This will cause our planet to turn into another Venus, which the world can not recover from.

They have been saying this for like 30-40 years now. Every year the polar ice caps are going to be completely gone in 10 years....yet here we are.

Who said that 40 years ago? It was until 75 did remove lead from petrol. This is Greenland in Summer, this is the change of Ice in 10 years that's a lot faster than normal rate.

Where is the current graph?

Avatar image for npiet1
#129 Posted by npiet1 (473 posts) -

@n64dd: Couldn't be arsed to find it. There's no real point with you from seeing what you've already posted. No point.

Avatar image for n64dd
#130 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Couldn't be arsed to find it. There's no real point with you from seeing what you've already posted. No point.

I'm wondering if that has been reversed? If that's a natural change or not? You're showing me something that 16 years old.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#131 Posted by Mandzilla (466 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@npiet1 said:
@n64dd said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. If the polar ice caps melt and don't freeze like they should the whole food web gets destroyed because when salt water freeze's the salt goes to the ocean floor which feeds many organisms that feed other organisms, Then you've got the storms to worry about because of the increased heat. If they don't happen year after year like they should the sand dunes in the sahara desert feed the rainforest of South America, if that doesn't happen it dies. Climate change is natural but the rate is increasing to fast and faster the climate changes, the eco-system can not keep up with it. This will cause our planet to turn into another Venus, which the world can not recover from.

They have been saying this for like 30-40 years now. Every year the polar ice caps are going to be completely gone in 10 years....yet here we are.

Who said that 40 years ago? It was until 75 did remove lead from petrol. This is Greenland in Summer, this is the change of Ice in 10 years that's a lot faster than normal rate.

Where is the current graph?

There isn't one. It's 2018, Greenland is gone now.

Avatar image for n64dd
#132 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@mandzilla said:
@n64dd said:
@npiet1 said:
@n64dd said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. If the polar ice caps melt and don't freeze like they should the whole food web gets destroyed because when salt water freeze's the salt goes to the ocean floor which feeds many organisms that feed other organisms, Then you've got the storms to worry about because of the increased heat. If they don't happen year after year like they should the sand dunes in the sahara desert feed the rainforest of South America, if that doesn't happen it dies. Climate change is natural but the rate is increasing to fast and faster the climate changes, the eco-system can not keep up with it. This will cause our planet to turn into another Venus, which the world can not recover from.

They have been saying this for like 30-40 years now. Every year the polar ice caps are going to be completely gone in 10 years....yet here we are.

Who said that 40 years ago? It was until 75 did remove lead from petrol. This is Greenland in Summer, this is the change of Ice in 10 years that's a lot faster than normal rate.

Where is the current graph?

There isn't one. It's 2018, Greenland is gone now.

:O

Avatar image for jackamomo
#133 Posted by Jackamomo (398 posts) -

Wind turbines.

Ever played SimCity2000? Is easy way to win the game.

Germany is so efficient in it's power grid they paid people money back last year!

Yes. A +positive bill. Whodathunkit.

UK has enough offshore potential wind power to export energy in this way after meeting it's own energy needs. Sadly, we got Tories and 50 years of chinese nuke plants and the most expensive energy in the world instead.

Governments basically need to pressure heavy industry to be more clean which makes up the majority of C02 gas emissions. Namely mining and petrochemical.

Avatar image for tryit
#134 Posted by TryIt (5480 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. ...

thank the gods! all of them!

I have been saying this for more than a year now.

The debate over 'does global warming exist at all' died a few years ago but transformed into 'but its not humans fault' now hopefully that too will transform away.'

unfortunately however, I am in the camp who believes its too late now. which is ironic because I tend to save much more energy then most per person only because it makes my life better anyway regardless of the global effects! (the whole RV riding a bicycle lifestyle)

You play video games, use a computer to post on here. You use a lot of energy.

Who cares? Live your life. Earth will be fine.

yes of course the earth will be fine and yes of course I use energy I never said I dont use any energy.

The question is not, will the earth survive, the question is, will humanity survive.

Avatar image for tryit
#135 Posted by TryIt (5480 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@mandzilla said:
@n64dd said:
@tryit said:
@npiet1 said:

@n64dd: Just because climate change is naturally occurring doesn't mean we will be fine. ...

thank the gods! all of them!

I have been saying this for more than a year now.

The debate over 'does global warming exist at all' died a few years ago but transformed into 'but its not humans fault' now hopefully that too will transform away.'

unfortunately however, I am in the camp who believes its too late now. which is ironic because I tend to save much more energy then most per person only because it makes my life better anyway regardless of the global effects! (the whole RV riding a bicycle lifestyle)

You play video games, use a computer to post on here. You use a lot of energy.

Who cares? Live your life. Earth will be fine.

Earth will be fine yes, humans not so much.

We should have been eradicated decades ago according to EVERYBODY. Lets treat our planet better, and not scare people into doing it.

completely untrue

not even by 'most' scientists. let alone 'everybody' (meaning all experts) not even remotely close to be being accurate

Avatar image for n64dd
#136 Posted by N64DD (9605 posts) -

@tryit: Humanity will survive.

Avatar image for tryit
#137 Posted by TryIt (5480 posts) -
@n64dd said:

@tryit: Humanity will survive.

better answer.

I don't agree with it but better answer anyway, thank you