So, about tearing down and vandalizing statues and monuments. Should it continue or is there a line?

• 146 results
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll So, about tearing down and vandalizing statues and monuments. Should it continue or is there a line? (44 votes)

Nothing should be torn down. 52%
Confederate statues and statues of anyone involved with any type of bigotry need to come down, keep everything else. 27%
Anybody that had anything to do with slavery to include owning a slave should be removed, keep everything else. 0%
If someone did something that would be considered unacceptable in 2020, their statue needs to come down no matter when they did it. 5%
Other 16%

After the protests and riots in reaction to George Floyd’s murder were underway, people understandably wanted Confederate statues removed. Many protesters took things into their own hands and pulled down statues without approval from authorities. The most recent incident that comes to memory involving a Confederate statue was protesters that pulled down a statue of Confederate Army Brigadier General Albert Pike in Washington, D.C. on Juneteenth.

While it is completely understandable why people want the Confederate statues to come down, protesters have not stopped there. Other targets in the past week for destruction included Presidents George Washington and Ulysses S. Grant as well as Christopher Columbus. An Armenian genocide memorial was vandalized with anti-cop graffiti. The Soldiers and Sailors monument in Cleveland and the World War 1 memorial in Birmingham, Alabama were vandalized. A few other incidents happened around the country.

Shortly before posting this, near the White House, there was a group of protesters that tried to pull down a statue of President Andrew Jackson but failed.

Last night, Chairman of the American Conservative Union Matt Schlapp tweeted that he believes that statues of Jesus would be targeted next.

Throughout most of the day, he was mocked for his tweet. But the mockery has turned into some serious consideration – activist Shaun King is now calling for statues that depict Jesus Christ as a white man to be removed because he sees them as a form of White Supremacy.

Do you think there is an end game to all of the vandalism and tearing down statues? Or will everything be destroyed or defaced until nothing that may potentially offend someone remains standing?

• 
plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I understand the confederate statues, but I think its being taken too far now. It seems statues are being vandalized for the sake of vandelism.

MamWomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MamWomen
Member since 2020 • 135 Posts

Well, I mean. Jesus wasn't white. I think they should make him like he was, just my two cents. :D

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

Ah yes, the slippery slope fallacy.

I don't really care what Shaun King has to say about Jesus, frankly it sounds stupid and is the same thing as saying Santa can't be black because it's European folklore, so make sure not to have a black mall Santa. But claiming that folks shouldn't tear down statues of American traitors and icons of confederacy because there's no possible outcome other than to tear down other random offensive statues is a classic bad faith argument.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Vaasman said:

I don't really care what Shaun King has to say about Jesus, frankly it sounds stupid and is the same thing as saying Santa can't be black because it's European folklore, so make sure not to have a black mall Santa. But claiming that folks shouldn't tear down statues of American traitors and icons of confederacy because there's no possible outcome other than to tear down other random offensive statues is a classic bad faith argument.

The thing is, people are already tearing down non-Confederate statues to include the ones I mentioned in the original post. I'm not arguing whether or not we should let monuments of the Confederacy stand.

Your slippery slope response would have merit in regards to the question if the protesters and rioters exclusively targeted Confederate monuments.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@ad1x2 said:
@Vaasman said:

The thing is, people are already tearing down non-Confederate statues to include the ones I mentioned in the original post. I'm not arguing whether or not we should let monuments of the Confederacy stand.

Your slippery slope response would have merit in regards to the question if the protesters and rioters exclusively targeted Confederate monuments.

The thing is statues should only go down if public agrees with it through proper means and they are taken down properly. Vandals running out and destroying public property just because they don't agree with it is not the way to do it. What gives these people the right to say what stays up and what goes down? That in a way is being fascist.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@plageus900 said:

I understand the confederate statues, but I think its being taken too far now. It seems statues are being vandalized for the sake of vandelism.

Correct.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Xabiss said:

The thing is statues should only go down if public agrees with it through proper means and they are taken down properly. Vandals running out and destroying public property just because they don't agree with it is not the way to do it. What gives these people the right to say what stays up and what goes down? That in a way is being fascist.

Well, obviously offensive statues should be removed legally. It's just that right now people are afraid to punish anyone for doing it illegally because of the current situation with the protesting.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I think they should reflect the current culture of America.

I don't think anybody should tear them down without a vote, however. It's stupid and dangerous. Someone has been put into a coma because some lady kicked the statue on somebody's head. It should be removed professionally.

Not only would a vote be safer, it would also be more reflective of the culture in that area.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9 WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

NYC is removing Teddy roosevelt

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/21/american-museum-natural-history-new-york-teddy-roosevelt

Lol if you think Confederate statues were all there coming after you have it all wrong.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I find it cringe and rediculous.

Cant say im surprised, after months of lockdown due to covid I think people are legit going insane.

Too many people with alot of extra time on thier hands

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

The confederacy were a bunch of racist traitors, tear down all statues and monuments.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Canada’s former Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau (Justin’s dad) recently had his statue pained blackface.

https://youtu.be/LRz7Abze1H4

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

There was no good reason why it was happening in the first place. If I start to tear down that which I find fault in, people better hold on to dear life.

It's a parasitic thought. You make yourself feel like you know better than others by looking at their faults and not your own. And you release that anger by hurting them. A cycle of self glorification, villanizing of the innocent, destruction and hatred. Not looking at the facts, not looking at the dangers, not looking at the whole picture. Just looking at the next thing to destroy in the name of some goal that anyone could get behind but that is lost on the first step.

Of all the victims people claim to be or find, there is one that has been hurt the most. That's the truth.

What we see in the USA is a gross disrespect for the truth. The truth of the past in the molestation of their history, the truth of the present in their universities where this originated, the media. A disrespect for their future by pretending this will all last. The truth tends to have the final laugh.

'Resetting' history means repeating your mistakes. It means you haven't learned a thing. It means dark times ahead. Just be smarter than that. You don't need to go through this cycle again.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

All Confederate status and flags in all the state must be removed. If Confederate side would have won the USA would not be what it is today. They were killing fellow Americans it is like having a statu of Hitler in every state make no sense

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, a lot of these statues were put in place well after the Civil War not to commemorate battles, important figures, and so on, but they were put up in the mid-1900's to "put black people in their place". They were cheap, mass-produced statues that were put up to remind black people where they came from, and to remind white people as well.

I think those statues should be torn down.

On the other hand, some of these statues are historically significant. Or they were put up in an appropriate amount of time so their intent was not to antagonize people, but to commemorate historical figures and so on.

If you look at the chart, most of these statues were put up at times of "civil rights tension" in the US.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@plageus900 said:

I agree. The confederate statutes makes a lot of sense. Hell just look when a lot of them were put up.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I think it's time we stop idolizing people that don't deserve it, Confederates, explorers, and past leaders who promoted the extermination of our native populations.

You don't learn history by looking at statues, or by going to parks. You learn history through books, museums, and documentaries.

When was the last time you went down to a statue to learn history? Statues are meant to idolize, there's a reason you don't see Nazi leader statues.........and I don't think we have forgotten that time in our history

MamWomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MamWomen
Member since 2020 • 135 Posts

I think we can all agree, except of course KKK members on this forum, that confederate statues should be torn down and the flag burned to dust. They were traitors to the union, disgusting human beings. Period.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Star67 said:

I think it's time we stop idolizing people that don't deserve it, Confederates, explorers, and past leaders who promoted the extermination of our native populations.

You don't learn history by looking at statues, or by going to parks. You learn history through books, museums, and documentaries.

When was the last time you went down to a statue to learn history? Statues are meant to idolize, there's a reason you don't see Nazi leader statues.........and I don't think we have forgotten that time in our history

You don't see Nazi statues because they were evil people. Not sure why you didn't know that.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mamwomen said:

I think we can all agree, except of course KKK members on this forum, that confederate statues should be torn down and the flag burned to dust. They were traitors to the union, disgusting human beings. Period.

I give this alt 1 week before banned.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@n64dd said:
@mamwomen said:

I give this alt 1 week before banned.

Eh he's not wrong that we shouldn't celebrate the confederates at all.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N64DD

btw, i'm all for voting the statues down.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Take down all statues of confederate soldiers, politicians, etc. The argument of 'it's muh' history' is dumb. We use statues to venerate, not teach. Coupled with the fact that most were erected during civil right pushes tells you all you need to know about why they were constructed in the first place. It's fear and intimidation plain and simple.

As for statues in general I'm OK with most if not all being removed, even our founding fathers. We've gotten to a point where we deify people in the past which leads to white washing of history. There's always going to be some acts of vandalism on stuff I won't agree with, but I won't let your slippery slope fallacy miss the forest for the trees.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vaasman

@ad1x2 said:
@Vaasman said:

Yea nah.

Other than a collection of confederate statues the majority of material being "torn down" is effectively random. There is no unified call to remove other statues and any that are as a result of recent events are simply unfortunate collateral. It's like saying a Wendy's got burned down by rioters, so the protesters must want an end to fast food. Worthless.

So yes, slippery slope.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vaasman

@Xabiss said:

Go back to school kiddo. Citizens destroying government issued icons is literally the opposite of fascism.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Star67 said:

You don't see Nazi statues because they were evil people. Not sure why you didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure that was his point.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic

@heathen75 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Star67 said:

Then why did he mention them when talking about idols?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N64DD

@LJS9502_basic: i was referring to him calling some board members kkk members.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23890 Posts

BIG Case by Case basis.

Ask yourself,

When was the statue erected?
Why was the statue erected?

Come to the right conclusion based on that.

A lot of what is going on is simply put vandalism though.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@heathen75 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Star67 said:

He or she is saying that, we don't see statues of Nazi's because they were not good people, so why do have statues of slave owners?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@heathen75 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

He or she is saying that, we don't see statues of Nazi's because they were not good people, so why do have statues of slave owners?

*sigh* Some of the statues are presidents. They aren't celebrated for being slave owners but for being presidents. Different things. One can see the faults but still approve of the job of governing the nation. No one is perfect and we need to realize people have, fortunately, evolved. I'm not going to complain about a historical figure while we still have racists today...…..and those who defend them. That is the tragedy.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

its an interesting question because the line is different for everyone. at some point we'll reach a new equilibrium.

that's what living in a civilization entails. everyone doesn't always get their way.

personally i'm fine getting rid of the civil war participation trophies. like mr. trump, i like winners, not losers.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 horgen  Moderator

@Maroxad said:

BIG Case by Case basis.

Ask yourself,

You know when most of the confederate statutes were erected, right?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

BIG Case by Case basis.

Ask yourself,

Too be sure we need to remove confederate statues......they were traitors. BUT it should be done on the community level...….not up to protestors.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

Too be sure we need to remove confederate statues......they were traitors. BUT it should be done on the community level...….not up to protestors.

Agree with that. Didn't one mayor respond pretty well to protesters doing it? As in, leave it be and some will be at it in 24 hours to properly remove it?

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I personally don't care, and I'm not suprised the vandalism is happening considering it's been a topic for years and nobody did anything about it.. when you never treat a injury and ignore it, it gets infected and overflows.

Like others have said, the confederacy where traitors to the United States. They tried to overthrow the government and lost. People preaching "history" and "heritage" as a defense for statues of slave owners and people who butchered Native Americans should be notified that we have these things called books that can teach history. A statue doesn't do anything.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 horgen  Moderator

How much heritage can be made in 4 years?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@rmiller365: They're destroying a lot more then just confederate statues though, pretty much anything is fair game to destroy or vandalize right now. Hell they went after a statue of Arnold Schwarzenegger...I mean he's old maybe he fought for the confederates and I just didn't know about it?

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

@vfighter: Nah, it stems from the rage people feel from nothing getting done about issues. Like my injury analogy, if you have a spouse that beats you and always says things will change and they don't, you would simply stop trusting them and find your own outlet wouldn't you? As far a Confederate and Columbus statues go, screw it, cut all their heads off. They don't amount to anything.

I don't condone random acts of vandalism but I really can't say I'm suprised. What did they think would happen? It's not like it didn't happen already after MLK was killed, and again in the LA riots in the 90's.

A cop stood on a dude's neck for over 8 minutes while he begged to his mother and it took social media outrage for anything to be done about it. Followed then by peaceful protests getting tear gassed and beaten. Then, when people rage, they had the suprised Pikachu meme. All this has happened before and it will continue to happen until something changes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Agree with that. Didn't one mayor respond pretty well to protesters doing it? As in, leave it be and some will be at it in 24 hours to properly remove it?

Not sure but in the past local governments have removed statues quickly.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

BIG Case by Case basis.

Ask yourself,

100% agree with this. When you have only one side making all the decisions that is not a good move. As LJ9502 says it need to be done through the community and not protesters. Believe it or not doing it through the community will have more meaning then protesters tearing down everything the deem unfit.

@LJS9502_basic just saying there has been a couple of things we have agreed on recently. I am very scared. ROFLMAO :P

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

I agree. Should be done orderly. And the support for it seems rather high these days.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I generally believe that the past is the past no matter how uncomfortable aspects of it might be and it's better to focus on making the future better rather then focus on trying to change what's already happened.

And I understand that a statue of a key person in the Confederacy is a uncomfortable thing, but if anyone can just throw some chains around a statue or monument they dislike and pull it down with their car. It does set a precedence for others to do the same with statues and monuments you may like but they don't.

Which you then can't really say is wrong as they've only done the same as you.

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

The people tearing down these statues without any legal authority should be arrested, incarcerated for some period of time, then fined for the damage they did to public property.

The fate of these statues and monuments should be decided by the community as a whole, either through their elected representatives, or by direct vote. Advocating for anything less is supporting lawlessness and vandalism.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23890 Posts

@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

BIG Case by Case basis.

Ask yourself,

Of course. I also know why they were erected.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#46 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The Confederate statues should never have been erected in the first place. Those need to be torn down, but vandalism isn't the answer. Some US presidents had slaves. It's an unfortunate fact. However, they weren't traitors.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Martin Luther King has a statue, right? Was involved in the rape of a female parishioner. Laughing about it, while watching it. Encouraging it, apparently. According to the FBI.

Now, that could be the FBI making this up to damage MLK's reputation.

Inconveniently, believing in a conspiracy theory like that is a typical alt-right practice. I hear 'the left' doesn't believe in conspiracy theories. What a conundrum.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

I don't mind the confederate statues being taken down, but not like this. What the hell is going on? Why is there no law punishing these crimes? How is this not sickening to people? This is ridiculous. And they will not and have not stopped at confederate statues. Punish these assholes already.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

I have observed people wanting the statues of Columbus taken down and the City of Columbus wanting to change their change their name for the reason given Columbus brought slavery and rape to the Americas. Slavery and rape existed in the America's long before the Europeans ever came to the North American shores. Many people are blaming the United States for slavery. Slavery is against human nature to be free to live and make your own decisions. slavery at the settling of North America was world wide and the colonists did not want slavery , it was forced upon the m by England. The first slave owner in colonial America was a black man. There were black slavers at the time of the civil war, and blacks who fought for the south. Before we destroy the republic take a pause to make the right decisions instead of gut reactions that are happening today.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I don't mind the confederate statues being taken down, but not like this. What the hell is going on? Why is there no law punishing these crimes? How is this not sickening to people? This is ridiculous. And they will not and have not stopped at confederate statues. Punish these assholes already.

I thought you were "non white" yet every post of yours sounds like the whitest post possible.

Anyway, tear them down. To the snowflakes, it's not erasure of history, it's coming to terms with your actual history.