nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Not too long ago, South-Asian American comedian Hari Kondabolu made a documentary called "The Problem with Apu", covering the impact of the show and how he feels certain people were affected by it, one of which being actor, Kal Penn, who openly admits to hating The Simpsons because of it.

He even recently did an interview with Trevor Noah talking about it.

The Simpsons then made a response to the documentary, as well as anyone with similar views on the character in it's most recent episode, the video I can only find on Twitter (which thankfully is in the link). Some called it a toothless response, others such as right wing figures (like Dave Rubin) defended it, despite the show's generally left leaning themes.

Me personally? Whole controversy is stupid. I see what Hari is going for, but this might be a bit late to the party. As for Matt Groening and co, it was a terrible response and may as well further justify the calls for the death of the show (which even the shows own fanbase can't decide whether they want it or not). It also feels like it's The Simpsons trying to be like it's edgier rivals, Family Guy and South Park (though it's not the first time, see "Mypods and Boomsticks").

What say you?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

The creators didn't handle the criticism well. They should have just told those whiners to **** off or ignore them. Also, Dave Rubin right-wing? lol!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

What a terrible way to respond to constructive criticism.

Apu is not a perfectly written character, the show has many flaws and obviously people are going to call it out for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Every Character is a parody or spoof on a stereotype.

Should we be offended by how Homer portrays the average american White male? Or how Wiggum portrays cops?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

Should we be offended by how Homer portrays the average american White male? Or how Wiggum portrays cops?

Not really the same thing. You’d have a point if Homer or Wiggum were the only representations of white Americans in the media. The documentary made a point that Apu was the only representation of Indian Americans for a long time and Indian actors were pigeon holed and affected by that. Plus the fact that he’s voiced by a white dude.

Anyway, what a terrible response. They should have just not said anything and ignored it. Instead they made Lisa say it, a character that by all evidence would have agreed with Kondabalou. What crap has this show become.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

When I used the "waving it's selfie stick at the entertainment industry" analogy I didn't expect folk to double down on it so aggressively. The Simpsons pushed for acceptance back when the democratic party was legislating against it. This is down right silly, particularly on a political forum.

@perfect_blue: There is a very basic problem with your assertion. Anyone included in the show was a caricature. That means the show had two options: a) Represent Indian Americans with a caricature, the way they did for everyone else. b) Exclude them. The fact that the Simpsons was the first show to include them is a really silly reason to go off on them for choosing A.

Also: When you got called out for leveling slurs at transwomen you felt were overstepping their 'place' by challenging patricians, you didn't react with this much class. Say what you want about the Simpsons, but they didn't accuse Apu of being uppity while insulting him because he challenged some old white dude. Maybe check your double standard, particularly when it comes to political correctness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@kittennose said:

When I used the "waving it's selfie stick at the entertainment industry" analogy I didn't expect folk to double down on it so aggressively. The Simpsons pushed for acceptance back when the democratic party was legislating against it. This is down right silly, particularly on a political forum.

@perfect_blue: There is a very basic problem with your assertion. Anyone included in the show was a caricature. That means the show had two options: a) Represent Indian Americans with a caricature, the way they did for everyone else. b) Exclude them. The fact that the Simpsons was the first show to include them is a really silly reason to go off on them for choosing A.

Also: When you got called out for leveling slurs at transwomen you felt were overstepping their 'place' by challenging patricians, you didn't react with this much class. Say what you want about the Simpsons, but they didn't accuse Apu of being uppity while insulting him because he challenged some old white dude. Maybe check your double standard, particularly when it comes to political correctness.

*yawn*, your shtick is so pedantic so I'll just leave you with this: I suggest you watch the documentary yourself that started this for some context.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Feminist9000
Member since 2018 • 31 Posts

The Simpsons marginalizes pretty much everyone on their show. The yellow characters actually represent the white suppression these writers portray.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@Nuck81 said:

Not really the same thing. You’d have a point if Homer or Wiggum were the only representations of white Americans in the media. The documentary made a point that Apu was the only representation of Indian Americans for a long time and Indian actors were pigeon holed and affected by that. Plus the fact that he’s voiced by a white dude.

Anyway, what a terrible response. They should have just not said anything and ignored it. Instead they made Lisa say it, a character that by all evidence would have agreed with Kondabalou. What crap has this show become.

Nah. None of the characters in that show are represented as model characters. Therefore no special treatment......we want equality right? Also what other shows do has no bearing on the Simpsons. And I don't even watch that show but come on. No double standards.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Wow, I don't even know what to say to something this stupid?

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Feminist9000

@LJS9502_basic said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Nuck81 said:

Nah. None of the characters in that show are represented as model characters. Therefore no special treatment......we want equality right? Also what other shows do has no bearing on the Simpsons. And I don't even watch that show but come on. No double standards.

You're defending misogyny, institutionalized racism, marginalization of genders?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic  Online

@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You're defending misogyny, institutionalized racism, marginalization of genders?

I'm not defending anything. It's a damn tv show. No one needs watch it. Freedom of speech I will not deny. Stop watching and it will go away. But stop the whining.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Feminist9000

@LJS9502_basic said:
@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm not defending anything. It's a damn tv show. No one needs watch it. Freedom of speech I will not deny. Stop watching and it will go away. But stop the whining.

You say stop the whining, I see stop the fight. It sounds like you believe in nothing unless it's convenient for you to. I'm guessing you're for the keystone pipeline.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KittenNose
@perfect_blue said:

*yawn*, your shtick is so pedantic so I'll just leave you with this: I suggest you watch the documentary yourself that started this for some context.

That is hilariously hypocritical given the context. Double standards must be your thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@LJS9502_basic said:

I don't think there's a problem with the character himself, except perhaps for the accent which is very clearly fake and made up. It's the wider context that Apu exists in which has pigeon holed Indian American comedians and actors. I strongly suggest watching the documentary that started this because it explains the issues with the character better than I could.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter

@feminist9000: Holy crap are there any non alt/troll accounts left on this site?!?

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Feminist9000

@perfect_blue said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I don't think there's a problem with the character himself, except perhaps for the accent which is very clearly fake and made up. It's the wider context that Apu exists in which has pigeon holed Indian American comedians and actors. I strongly suggest watching the documentary that started this because it explains the issues with the character better than I could.

There is a problem with the character because he was created by men, naturally. It represents all the indian stereotype yet the heterosexual white males are perceived as alpha males mansplaining and manspreading every chance they get.

Bart Simpson is a complete Chad, yet APU is a beta virgin, portrayed by the show.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic  Online

@perfect_blue said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You know if the problem is Hollywood and portrayals of specific minorities.............that's fine. But I'm not going to pick the Simpson's show as an example. The correct way to address this problem is to compare and contrast within the same medium. But a cartoon show making fun of every group is not the example and as such I cannot take this seriously.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Feminist9000

@LJS9502_basic said:
@perfect_blue said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You know if the problem is Hollywood and portrayals of specific minorities.............that's fine. But I'm not going to pick the Simpson's show as an example. The correct way to address this problem is to compare and contrast within the same medium. But a cartoon show making fun of every group is not the example and as such I cannot take this seriously.

How do they make fun of Chadspreaders?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@feminist9000 said:
@perfect_blue said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

There is a problem with the character because he was created by men, naturally. It represents all the indian stereotype yet the heterosexual white males are perceived as alpha males mansplaining and manspreading every chance they get.

Bart Simpson is a complete Chad, yet APU is a beta virgin, portrayed by the show.

The Simpson's are NOT a serious show. Also within every ethnic group there are people of ALL variety. Or are you saying virgin Indians do not exist? That would be racist as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58925 Posts

@vfighter said:

@feminist9000: Holy crap are there any non alt/troll accounts left on this site?!?

Exactly what I was thinking.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VFighter

@feminist9000: Jackamomo nice alt lol, ah you trolls make this stuff to easy.

lagalag024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lagalag024
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

NEBRE

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Feminist9000

@LJS9502_basic said:
@feminist9000 said:
@perfect_blue said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

The Simpson's are NOT a serious show. Also within every ethnic group there are people of ALL variety. Or are you saying virgin Indians do not exist? That would be racist as well.

That is my point. The show is only portraying one aspect of the vibrant culture. All the white males are complete Chads, and mansplain everything.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@vfighter: god help us

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic  Online

@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@feminist9000 said:

That is my point. The show is only portraying one aspect of the vibrant culture. All the white males are complete Chads, and mansplain everything.

The show is NOT portraying any character as fantastic........so stop picking one and whining. Also whose alt are you?

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Feminist9000

@vfighter said:

@feminist9000: Jackamomo nice alt lol, ah you trolls make this stuff to easy.

I'm not alt right.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KittenNose

@perfect_blue said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Perhaps you could start by explaining why the Simpsons is responsible for the fact that the rest of the media didn't portray Indian Americans at all. That is the doofiest part of your assertion. If you add clarity, folks might see your point.

Without such an explanation it seem like it is a problem with the media, not Apu.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Feminist9000

@kittennose said:
@perfect_blue said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Perhaps you could start by explaining why the Simpsons is responsible for the fact that the rest of the media didn't portray Indian Americans at all. That is the doofiest part of your assertion. If you add clarity, folks might see your point.

Without such an explanation it seem like it is a problem with the media, not Apu.

So you support the marginalization of all Indian people for entertaintment?

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Apu's character is racist.

His accent is so broad but that does go for all the characters. They are all massive caricatures. For a racist (poor) white stereotype you have Cletus and rich in Mr Burns. Homosexuality is treated really well and not derigitorily (but hilariously) with Smithers.

The most racist scene is when Apu and his brother do some kind of weird clapping dance to depict some kind of Hindu ritual which looks primitive and is kind of derogatory to Hinduism.

But then they made him a computer technician when homer messed up all his hole punched cards (from the first computers) in the store room.

So The Simpsons is a weird one. It's kind of having a go at everyone but at the same time does fall back on negative stereotypes for cheap laughs.

The real issue is why anyone even cares about this as I haven't watched it for about the last 10 years as it's just not edgy or funny any more.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VFighter

@LJS9502_basic: He's Jackamomo's alt, time to ignore the troll/alt.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Feminist9000

@LJS9502_basic said:
@feminist9000 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@feminist9000 said:

The show is NOT portraying any character as fantastic........so stop picking one and whining. Also whose alt are you?

I'm not Alt right.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KittenNose
@vfighter said:

I ask because my money is on Tryit.

How do you figure?

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Feminist9000

@kittennose said:
@vfighter said:

I ask because my money is on Tryit.

How do you figure?

Not an Alt Right.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VFighter

@kittennose: That's honestly not a bad guess. I'm leaning towards Jackamomo because I just called him out yesterday for trolling and being an alt and all of a sudden today another alt appears with his same style of trolling and nonsense.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Feminist9000

@vfighter said:

@kittennose: That's honestly not a bad guess. I'm leaning towards Jackamomo because I just called him out yesterday for trolling and being an alt and all of a sudden today another alt appears with his same style of trolling and nonsense.

Do you feel threatened with confronted with real problems in this world, to the point where you redirect all of your microaggressions into the form of calling people "alts"?

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KittenNose

@vfighter: Ahh okay. Well thank you for the information and good luck in the pool!

@feminist9000 All I can think about when you post is the "It is over nine thousand!?!" meme. You are however not over nine thousand. That is an obvious let down, which is a clear reference to a known hate symbol.

If your alt right reference was unintentional, please consider retiring the account. Perhaps start fresh with 9001.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 N64DD

@kittennose: joebones and tryit are both alts. I am guessing perfectblue

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Feminist9000

@kittennose said:

@vfighter: Ahh okay. Well thank you for the information and good luck in the pool!

@feminist9000 All I can think about when you post is the "It is over nine thousand!?!" meme. You are however not over nine thousand. That is an obvious let down, which is a clear reference to a known hate symbol.

If your alt right reference was unintentional, please consider retiring the account. Perhaps start fresh with 9001'

9000 females strong in my feminist group I belong to. Your frog cartoon is cute.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:

joebones and tryit are both alts. I am guessing perfectblue

Haha, you wish. If I had an alt it would be way more sophisticated than that poster.

What if Feminist9000 is your alt?

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KittenNose

@n64dd: That seems unfair to me. If Blue was so inclined, which seems unlikely, they would do a better job then Tryit.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 N64DD

@perfect_blue: I already waste enough time on this site. You seem guilty though, maybe ut’s jacunaks?

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Feminist9000

@kittennose said:

@n64dd: That seems unfair to me. If Blue was so inclined, which seems unlikely, they would do a better job then Tryit.

Why are your cats eyes purple?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@n64dd said:

@perfect_blue: I already waste enough time on this site. You seem guilty though, maybe ut’s jacunaks?

Feminist9000's spelling and grammar is too good to be Jacanuk. If they are an alt they probably aren't a regular or it's someone who is already banned.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KittenNose

@feminist9000: Knew it, alt right confirmed.

@n64dd: Last I was informed, I was jacunak's alt.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 N64DD

@kittennose: Nah, both well too composed.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic  Online

@n64dd said:

I doubt he would post that way even if he had an alt.....he seems intelligent. This alt hasn't displayed that.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Feminist9000

@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:

I doubt he would post that way even if he had an alt.....he seems intelligent. This alt hasn't displayed that.

So women aren't intelligent? You must be a Republican.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I wanna say "who cares" and that it is just a show.

But the problem is as an Indian American I've been insulted by being called Apu and had his fake accent thrown at me even though I myself have no accent. This happened for nearly the entire decade that show was popular and relevant....

Of course this didn't upset me because I typically was a lot smarter and attractive than those bandwagoning pricks...but it still was annoying.

Feminist9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Feminist9000

@zaryia said:

I wanna say "who cares" and that it is just a show.

But the problem is as an Indian American I've been insulted by being called Apu and had his fake accent thrown at me even though I myself have no accent. For nearly the entire decade that show was popular and relevant....

Of course this didn't upset me because I typically was a lot smarter and attractive than those bandwagoning pricks...but it still was annoying.

Hard to say it had zero real life negative impact.

I guess you don't care about racial equality, Chad.