Should we modify the 1st Amendment in the U.S.A?

• 102 results
JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should we modify the 1st Amendment in the U.S.A? (50 votes)

Yes, modify the 1st Amendment 14%
No, we should be able to voice our opinion even if it's hateful and racial 80%
Neither... Another solution is more probable. 6%

Other countries have restrictions on what Freedom of speech constitutes. Do you think the U.S. should modify the 1st amendment to outlaw openly racial propaganda aka Charlottesville's event?

• 
tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Yes, we have to many freedoms in this sick country.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

no, because it will end up like pakistan and european union.

in pakistan, you get the death sentence for hateful speech. in European union, you get 5 year prison sentence for hateful speech

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@narutosup: That's a little extreme... The point is to stop the hate speech that is lawful right now. No permit should be given to the KKK for starters. Anyone with racial hate signs instigating violance should spend at least 24 hours in jail. Making these dumb protest illegal would save lives, money, police officers safety, etc. Nazi flags in America? Since when is this ok???(rhetorical)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

if someone is saying racist things, then debate them. back at Reddit, a few suspected white-supremacist said racist things about Japanese/Asians/Indians, i gave those suspected white-supremacist a beat down with words. they're racist losers who spends too much time on Reddit, but they're not saying racist things anymore

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

The only change to the first amendment that I'm in favor of is to specify that money isn't speech as established in the Citizens United case.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

no

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

What a dumb question

Of course not, the 1st amendment is fine as is.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@narutosup: So you're saying violence is the answer? You're referring to online so violence wouldn't happen. But I'm referring to the situation in real life today. If they could all sit down and have a debate that'd be great. But that's not gonna happen. Violence and deaths happen. It puts officers in an unnecessary danger. It just boogles my mind that Nazi flags can be waved down the street and the police can't do anything about it, until it gets violent. I'd love to see those people do that in any other country and what would happen to them.(It'd probably never happen to start with)

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JoshRMeyer

@Jacanuk: Yeah, it seems to be doing wonders. Instead of bashing my question, maybe you could provide an alternative solution.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

Its fine the way it is. The problem isn't speech; its too many idiots believing idiotic crap. We need more education and washington needs to be reigned in.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jacanuk

@joshrmeyer said:

@Jacanuk: Yeah, it seems to be doing wonders. Instead of bashing my question, maybe you could provide an alternative solution.

No matter what you think about the recent incident, Free speech ie the first amendment is key in any democracy.

So if we are reminded of the other recent incident where republican senators got targeted by a insane far-left Sanders supporter , do you think that we should limit the free speech and ban Sanders? or ban leftist opinions?

If no then you got your answer , if you answer yes , well at least you are consistent but deadly wrong.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoshRMeyer

@Jacanuk: I'm not talking about eliminating the 1st amendment. Simply modifying it to prevent hate crimes, or other obvious stuff that incites violence.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@joshrmeyer said:

@Jacanuk: I'm not talking about eliminating the 1st amendment. Simply modifying it to prevent hate crimes, or other obvious stuff that incites violence.

Hate comes from both sides.

So again do you want to modify it so we also ban Sanders? again his speech made it so someone could justify going out and kill republican senators.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@joshrmeyer: You arent going anywhere when it comes to having a discussion with him. He is hella brain washed

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

No restrictions on free speech end in the loss of many other freedoms.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoshRMeyer

@LJS9502_basic: I never ever suggested no restrictions.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoshRMeyer

@Jacanuk: I don't know what the Sanders thing is. How bout I just ask you a simple question: Should it be ok to walked around waving the Nazi flag?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

The price of freedom is steep. But it goes all directions. If white supremacists believe they can protest with confederate flags and swastikas then they have no right to complain about BLM. We all have the right to protest but no one has the right to special treatment over anyone else. If a far right calls Obama the n-word then they have no right to complain about a certain celebrity holding a fake bloody head of Trump. No more double standard for anyone!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic

@joshrmeyer said:

@LJS9502_basic: I never ever suggested no restrictions.

What?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacanuk

@joshrmeyer said:

@Jacanuk: I don't know what the Sanders thing is. How bout I just ask you a simple question: Should it be ok to walked around waving the Nazi flag?

You don´t know about the far-left nutjob who tried to take out a bunch of republican senators at the baseball training?

Incase you missed it , he is a avid Sanders supporter and was riled up because of Sanders rhetoric

But Free speech is Free speech, So yes it's ok to go around waving a nazi flag, exactly like it´s allowed to use "it" as a avatar on Gamespot.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JoshRMeyer

@LJS9502_basic: Nevermind... Put a comma after "No" next time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

@joshrmeyer said:

@LJS9502_basic: Nevermind... Put a comma after "No" next time.

NO,,,,,,,happy?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No, that's stupid. You may end up with something ridiculous like Bill C-16.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Absolutely not.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mattbbpl

@joshrmeyer said:

It should be legal to walk around waving a nazi (or other political flag), yes. And I'm glad these idiots do, as it clearly tells me that they're idiots.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

No but we need to do something about angry leftists who get so easily offended by these sorts of things.. Because that is how the violence starts. Weak minded and weak spirited people that either just can't take jokes or can't take facts. We do not want a nation full of pussies that are afraid of words or afraid to speak them. Because that truly is living in fear.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mattbbpl

@omnichris: Is that why the white nationalist drove into a crowd today?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nepu7supastar7

@omnichris:

That goes double for the Republicans calling a celebrity treasonous for having a fake, bloody head of Trump, then sending numerous death threats. Face it, the extremists of both sides are pussies when it comes to taking jokes and critique.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@narutosup: Im a Canadian and we have restrictions on free speech as well. It was baked into our constitution by our founders who saw the epic fail that the US first ammendment was and took necessary actions. Making discriminatory speech, false news and hate propoganda a criminal offense was critical to making a fully functional country.

The US founders made their laws in good faith, believing in good of people. That may be a noble cause, but they made the laws long before tv, radio, internet, etc etc. The early American colonialists we're simply British people who were tired of high taxation. The fact is, they had no idea how to run a country properly like the British monarchy could--the monarchy had thousands of years of history and lived through countless wars. The colonialists had no expertise and with their naive beliefs, they built the US on well meaning but flawed foundations. No restrictions on the first ammendment was the greatest mistake in US history, it led to proliferation of right wing extremist groups who with their own agenda of hatred would spread their views through the media and infecting millions of people with the sickness.

Canada followed a different path, they were still loyal to the queen and followed the exact same system of government as the British. Also they adapted the British Constitution for their own. An excellent decision because we will never have a Fox news or CNN in our country.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jacanuk

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@narutosup: Im a Canadian and we have restrictions on free speech as well. It was baked into our constitution by our founders who saw the epic fail that the US first ammendment was and took necessary actions. Making discriminatory speech, false news and hate propoganda a criminal offense was critical to making a fully functional country.

The US founders made their laws in good faith, believing in good of people. That may be a noble cause, but they made the laws long before tv, radio, internet, etc etc. The early American colonialists we're simply British people who were tired of high taxation. The fact is, they had no idea how to run a country properly like the British monarchy could--the monarchy had thousands of years of history and lived through countless wars. The colonialists had no expertise and with their naive beliefs, they built the US on well meaning but flawed foundations. No restrictions on the first ammendment was the greatest mistake in US history, it led to proliferation of right wing extremist groups who with their own agenda of hatred would spread their views through the media and infecting millions of people with the sickness.

Canada followed a different path, they were still loyal to the queen and followed the exact same system of government as the British. Also they adapted the British Constitution for their own. An excellent decision because we will never have a Fox news or CNN in our country.

LOL funniest response so far.

But no surprise , after all biggest friend to canada is Cuba and we all know how Castro dealt with people who didn't agree with him.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OmniChris

@killered3 said:

@omnichris:

That goes double for the Republicans calling a celebrity treasonous for having a fake, bloody head of Trump, then sending numerous death threats. Face it, the extremists of both sides are pussies when it comes to taking jokes and critique.

I'd say that goes way outside the boundaries of freedom of speech unless it was done in good faith and as a joke which it clearly wasn't. It was more of a death threat aimed straight at Trump and that just isn't acceptable. Neither is plowing over people in a car. Obviously there are limits to freedom of speech but the left clearly wants to censor that freedom to the extreme.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Fvck no !

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nepu7supastar7

@omnichris:

Death threat to Trump, my ass. I've seen right wingers call Obama's family a bunch of monkeys and that he should be sentenced to death for whatever BS they're on about. THAT bloody head stunt was no different! If you were okay with how the others talk shit about Obama then you should be okay with Kathy Griffin's stunt. That's just bullshit double standard!

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OmniChris

@mattbbpl said:

No.. that was just pure psychotic murderous rage, where in my post did I say that was acceptable. Also I'd like to know whether it was actually a white nationalist who did it in the first place because I haven't seen any confirmation as of yet. I'm not ruling out the possibility that this was a false flag attack to make white people look bad by some angry raging leftist nut job. The fact that there was no license plate on the car means that this may of been planned attack and what motive would a white nationalist have to plow over white people at their own rally?. Something doesn't add up. It's very possible.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mattbbpl

@omnichris said:
@mattbbpl said:

No.. that was just pure psychotic murderous rage, where in my post did I say that was acceptable. Also I'd like to know whether it was actually a white nationalist who did it in the first place because I haven't seen any confirmation as of yet. I'm not ruling out the possibility that this was a false flag attack to make white people look bad by some angry raging leftist nut job. The fact that there was no license plate on the car means that this may of been planned attack and what motive would a white nationalist have to plow over white people at their own rally?. Something doesn't add up. It's very possible.

Never said you stated the action was acceptable. You stated the following: "we need to do something about angry leftists who get so easily offended by these sorts of things.. Because that is how the violence starts."

Is that how this violence started? Angry "leftists" are to blame because they got offended?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@omnichris said:

No but we need to do something about angry leftists who get so easily offended by these sorts of things.. Because that is how the violence starts. Weak minded and weak spirited people that either just can't take jokes or can't take facts. We do not want a nation full of pussies that are afraid of words or afraid to speak them. Because that truly is living in fear.

When you twist and turn to defend white supremacists it makes you look like one.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JoshRMeyer

@blaznwiipspman1: I was waiting for someone to mention Canada. It was also ranked number 1 in "Quality of life" category.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nepu7supastar7

@drunk_pi:

That's all this shit is. Pussies calling other people pussies for doing the exact same thing they're doing. This is why I can't help but laugh every time a right winger calls a liberal a snowflake.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OmniChris

@LJS9502_basic said:
@omnichris said:

When you twist and turn to defend white supremacists it makes you look like one.

Defending freedom of speech makes me a white supremacist now does it? LOL. Even if I was, what would that matter? You really think black people don't ever claim to be the superior ones? Black Lives Matter, only their lives matter and not all, a term born of black supremacy. I've seen more racism aimed at white people than I have black people.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@omnichris:

You're missing the point. The minute you say that it's okay to make death threats to a former president is the minute you make it okay for a death threat to Trump. You're literally becoming what you hate and it makes your "pussy" rhetoric shallow and hypocritical.

If I say, you really are a pussy for getting offended over what Saturday Night live says about Trump or even Colbert but then get offended when I see Obama get made fun of by some right winger than I'm being the pussy too!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic

@omnichris said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@omnichris said:

Defending freedom of speech makes me a white supremacist now does it? LOL. Even if I was, what would that matter? You really think black people don't ever claim to be the superior ones? Black Lives Matter, only their lives matter and not all, a term born of black supremacy. I've seen more racism aimed at white people than I have black people.

No worries.....I read your next post. Pure racist it was.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OmniChris

Wow I had no idea calling Obama a monkey would trigger so many peeps. So if I call Trump a white money? What difference will that have? Do you like that one better? Am I no longer a racist? All is forgiven lol.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

@omnichris: Are you really that ignorant of the history of racism?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nepu7supastar7

@omnichris:

The difference is whether or not you yourself get triggered by it. If you get offended for someone calling him a dumb, redneck cracker then you're no different from someone getting offended by you calling Obama the N-word. Getting triggered regardless is what makes you a pussy.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#47 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I can't believe this is a question. No. I am Canadian, and now in this country you can get arrested for saying the wrong thing thanks to these hate speech laws. I don't say hateful things, but I'd prefer not to have a looming fear over me

Hate speech laws are dumb. Free speech is more than a luxury. So you Americans want to defeat white nationalism in your country? Give them free speech, and let them put their foot in their mouth. If you decided to oppress an evil organization like the KKK, you will drive them underground and make them stronger. Bring it all out into the light.

Having said that, violence is not free speech. Whoever hurt people should be arrested, and perhaps those orgs involved in the rally should be investigated. Where I differ from your MSM is that I think that the orgs on the other side of that rally should be investigated as well. Yes, antifa and BLM had a role there. I don't fully know what it was, but that's why it should be investigated.

Btw, I am a liberal and even someone who believes in democratic socialism. Don't give up the free speech issue over to the right wing.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OmniChris

@LJS9502_basic said:

We're not talking about history, we're talking about the here and now, and the future. People are over petty name calling. Or at least that is the case with some of us. Some people will get emotionally destroyed for the smallest of things. But that is not the fault of freedom of speech. That is your own weakness that is at fault. Like Trump has said, we need to toughen up and get smart. :) You can do it bro. I believe in you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@omnichris said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

We're not talking about history, we're talking about the here and now, and the future. People are over petty name calling. Or at least that is the case with some of us. Some people will get emotionally destroyed for the smallest of things. But that is not the fault of freedom of speech. That is your own weakness that is at fault. Like Trump has said, we need to toughen up and get smart. :) You can do it bro. I believe in you.

What a crock. It there is an historical racism behind specific words then you don't get to equate them to something else. They stand as they are. I find it's the emotional snowflake that tries to call others that. One that cannot grasp that people can look at something without getting emotionally destroyed is only showing the world their failure.

Trump needs to take that advice himself. He's not intelligent and he's not tough.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

No.