• 123 results
Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Silentchief

Poll Should Parler be eradicated? (53 votes)

Yes! Only Nazi's go there 45%
No! It's a private company and censorship is bad 42%
Depends! ( explain) 13%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2021/01/parler-ceo-says-service-dropped-by-every-vendor-and-could-end-the-company-1234670607/amp/

For those who don't know what Parler is it's basically Facebook without the censorship

Big tech goes after Parler. With Apple and Google removing the apps and Amazon kicking them off their servers Parler will soon seize to exist. This is due to Parlers refusal to censor conservative opinions.

Apparently some of the Capitol protesters communicate on the app and for that big tech is squasing it.

What are your thoughts on this?

• 
Avatar image for redviperofdorne
redviperofdorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

User Lists: 0

#102 redviperofdorne
Member since 2016 • 491 Posts

The argument isn't censoring conservative thoughts, There are plenty of conservatives still thriving on Facebook and Twitter. It's the fact that this app did absolutely nothing to curb all the calls for violence and hatred on that app, there is a difference there. Now, If they had come out speaking against it and actively show that they are taking steps towards curbing that kind of behaviour on their site, I'm sure we wouldn't be having this discussion. However, they didn't and are still refusing to do so.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

@redviperofdorne said:

The argument isn't censoring conservative thoughts, There are plenty of conservatives still thriving on Facebook and Twitter. It's the fact that this app did absolutely nothing to curb all the calls for violence and hatred on that app, there is a difference there. Now, If they had come out speaking against it and actively show that they are taking steps towards curbing that kind of behaviour on their site, I'm sure we wouldn't be having this discussion. However, they didn't and are still refusing to do so.

sadly, more than a few public talking heads on the Right are pushing the narrative that their voices are being silenced and free speech is being trounced. so they are pushing a false narrative, and, by contrast, think threats of violence are ok.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Apparently TPB Founder has some comments on the news surrounding Parler's hosting:

Ouch!

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Spreading lies and conspiracy theories is dangerous and can lead to civil war no country is immune to it not even the USA. I really hate news channel in the USA were they keep feeding people their opinions cnn is bad fox news is even worse. I like watching bbc and newsy

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#106 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Google and Apple don't have to host their app. Likewise, Amazon doesn't have to host their web site. If Parler is so toxic that they can't even get their service up, then they need to reevaluate their business.

Avatar image for deactivated-609b1cfe23050
deactivated-609b1cfe23050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-609b1cfe23050
Member since 2021 • 320 Posts

I changed my mind! We need Parler back now! These people didn’t just vanish, they are now infesting other sites. Right now they are perverting TikTok, really annoying. Let’s give these people their own little part of the internet far away from the rest of us.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

It's nice that these companies are tacitly admitting a degree of culpability for the consequences of posts on social media sites and apps. That's going to be very welcome internationally - the opportunity to prosecute both private and public companies for their roles in just about any political upheaval.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#111 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@yessir said:

I changed my mind! We need Parler back now! These people didn’t just vanish, they are now infesting other sites. Right now they are perverting TikTok, really annoying. Let’s give these people their own little part of the internet far away from the rest of us.

It's pretty easy to ignore someone on the internet, but there's plenty of "safe spaces" for you to find if opposing views are that trggering.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Sancho_Panzer

@girlusocrazy said:

@sancho_panzer: How are they tacitly admitting a degree of culpability?

By making the debate about their own responsibility for public safety. The implication being that if they don't take an editorial role, they would somehow be harming the public.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Sancho_Panzer

@girlusocrazy said:

@sancho_panzer: Where does the editorial aspect come in?

For Not Amazon, Parler or Twitter?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:
@girlusocrazy said:

By making the debate about their own responsibility for public safety. The implication being that if they don't take an editorial role, they would somehow be harming the public.

This makes no sense.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Sancho_Panzer

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sancho_panzer said:
@girlusocrazy said:

This makes no sense.

Maybe not, but that's hardly discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sancho_panzer said:

This makes no sense.

Of course it's not discussion when your posts aren't clear.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Sancho_Panzer

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sancho_panzer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@sancho_panzer said:

This makes no sense.

Of course it's not discussion when your posts aren't clear.

@girlusocrazy seemed to parse it. I think.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6863 Posts

@yessir said:

Perverting tik tok? How can you pevert that cesspool? It's already an embarrassing shitshow as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-609b1cfe23050
deactivated-609b1cfe23050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-609b1cfe23050
Member since 2021 • 320 Posts

@silentchief: Only if you watch the wrong things. There are plenty of people who put out decent content if you are willing to look for them. TikTok is no different than YouTube, the quality heavily depends on the people using it. But Trump said it was bad, so should we just go with that?

It gets annoying when QAnon trolls spam every video with their BS. Some of these people get so obsessed they attack people personally for months. If you don’t like their views, it’s not hard to block them. But mass spamming and reporting them is just ridiculous.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#123  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

the should have kept it up so these dingbats can keep incriminating themselves on it.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Sancho_Panzer

@girlusocrazy said:

@sancho_panzer: Yes, for Not Amazon, Parler or Twitter, where does the editorial aspect come in?

That's 3 questions, you get one. And be polite about it this time, if you expect an answer.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#125 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26093 Posts

If corporations are people, they have the right to kick out people they don't want in their business.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Tim Cook: Why I kicked Parler off Apple's App Store

Tim Cook: Why I kicked Parler off Apple's App Store - CNN

"We looked at the incitement to violence that was on there," Cook told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday.""We don't consider that free speech and incitement to violence has an intersection."

"But Cook disputed that it's Apple's job to host every service, regardless of its content. He noted that Apple has terms of service for the 2 million apps its hosts, and apps that refuse to play by the rules aren't allowed to access Apple's massive audience."

Sounds fair. Don't be mad at capitalism, extreme right snowflakes.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Sancho_Panzer

@girlusocrazy said:

@sancho_panzer: You aren't forced to answer, but I did ask. If you have different answers based on what company it is then it's fair to ask what they are. I'm sorry you're feeling apprehensive, hopefully you feel better*.

You failed to understand, failed to even notice you'd parsed a statement you didn't understand, demanded a confused clarification and are still unable to point out your issue. Not once have you been even remotely friendly or playful about it - just abrupt. That's where we're at.

You also suck at psychology* and take days to respond. Why waste my time?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Sancho_Panzer

@girlusocrazy said:

@sancho_panzer: I'm busy. lol @ you spending more time over pedantry and focusing more mind games than actual conversation. You achieved your goal of derailing anything that gets too real for you. Good luck

Some help for your next valiant effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAvcGcEc0k

An argument is a collective series of statements to establish a definite position. It isn't just contradiction.

So far you've failed to take up any kind of position, contrary or otherwise, i.e. advance any argument, because you either lack the imagination to build one or don't understand the (obvious) argument you're trying to counter. "Discussion" with you has been a very one sided affair, with you barking "Explain." "How so?" "What does that mean?" and contributing nothing to the topic.

These strike me very much as "you problems".

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Sancho_Panzer

@girlusocrazy: Thank you.

And godspeed on your own quest for a quote button.