Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Shepard Smith: Fox News opinion hosts 'don't really have rules'

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/378631-shepard-smith-fox-news-opinion-hosts-dont-really-have-rules

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith says opinion programming on his network doesn't "really have rules" and exists "strictly to be entertaining," in an interview published Thursday.

"Some of our opinion programming is there strictly to be entertaining," Smith told Time Magazine's Daniel D'Addario in a piece titled, "Shep Smith Has the Hardest Job on Fox News."

“We serve different masters," Smith, 54, added when discussing the difference between the opinion side of Fox News, including shows such as "The Sean Hannity Show," and the network's news division. "We work for different reporting chains, we have different rules. They don’t really have rules on the opinion side. They can say whatever they want. If it’s their opinion."

Well that explains why they've gone full Infowars on us. Glad Shep is still there to give them a sliver of credibility.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

We need a new word for these outlets. Newsertainment? Mock News?

What does the Onion call itself?

@joebones5000 said:

Fox is not a news station, never was and never will be. It's the fox entertainment channel. Entertainment for gullible morons who literally believe the dumbest shit.

They definitely have a type: old white male. Average age of viewer is 66, male, and white.

They sit in their retirement homes with this on the TV and watch it all day, just pumping fear and paranoia and false information into their brains.

And, sadly, this age group votes. Every time. All the time. These old farts are the ones making policy. And it's not so much that I think they should vote less, I just think the other demographics need to vote more.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44606 Posts

Are they really there to entertain? Shows like Daily Show and Colbert Report and Bill Maher are political entertainment. Conservatives typically go out there and try to scare the shit out of everyone into their way of thinking.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Shepard Smith is a good news anchor. He must be somewhat of a masochist to work at Fox though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@mandzilla said:

Shepard Smith is a good news anchor. He must be somewhat of a masochist to work at Fox though.

Totally agree. I think he's actually pretty good.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@sonicare said:
@mandzilla said:

Actually he's surprising considering he's on Fox.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:
@mandzilla said:

Yup, he certainly isn't a purveyor of fake news unlike others on the network.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sonicare said:
@mandzilla said:

Im suprised he still has a job. You wouldnt think they would want a free thinker.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zaryia

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/378843-shepard-smith-announces-previously-planned-vacation-amid-hannity-ingraham-spat

rofl.

Fox News chief news anchor Shepard Smith announced Friday afternoon he was taking a "previously-planned one-week vacation" and joked that when he returns "everything will be peachy-keen & hunky-dory."

The announcement comes just hours after fellow Fox News hosts Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham slammed Smith as "clueless" about what the opinion side of the network does and for making "inconsiderate and inaccurate" statements about prime-time Fox programs.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@zaryia said:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/378631-shepard-smith-fox-news-opinion-hosts-dont-really-have-rules

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith says opinion programming on his network doesn't "really have rules" and exists "strictly to be entertaining," in an interview published Thursday.

"Some of our opinion programming is there strictly to be entertaining," Smith told Time Magazine's Daniel D'Addario in a piece titled, "Shep Smith Has the Hardest Job on Fox News."

“We serve different masters," Smith, 54, added when discussing the difference between the opinion side of Fox News, including shows such as "The Sean Hannity Show," and the network's news division. "We work for different reporting chains, we have different rules. They don’t really have rules on the opinion side. They can say whatever they want. If it’s their opinion."

Well that explains why they've gone full Infowars on us. Glad Shep is still there to give them a sliver of credibility.

You think any of the other media outlets are any different? If it comes as a shock to you, i have a small bridge for sale, you just have to come pick it up yourself near London.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@Jacanuk: I lol at these morons who think CNN is any better.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@loganx77 said:

Yep, these 24/7 news channels have maybe 15% real news the rest is opinions there to entertain people.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zaryia

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

You think any of the other media outlets are any different? If it comes as a shock to you, i have a small bridge for sale, you just have to come pick it up yourself near London.

Yes, many other media outlets are better. That doesn't mean they are good though. Being better than FOX isn't exactly a high bar.

@loganx77 said:

CNN is better. Just not by much, sadly. They don't really have their full Alex Jones mode cartoon characters like FOX does. This is the issue at hand. They also make a higher amount of inaccurate statements as well. Their viewers are less informed. They are less trusted.

False equivalencies are bad, mkay?

I personally use BBC, NPR, PBS, The Guardian, WSJ, WaPo, and NYT.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@zaryia: Saying CNN is bad isnt a FALSE equivalencie. Its everybit as bad from false statements to Don Lemons meltdowns. Its horrible.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zaryia

@loganx77 said:

@zaryia: Saying CNN is bad isnt a FALSE equivalencie.

I never said this. Straw-man arguments are bad. Don't be Shapiro.

I'm saying CNN isn't as bad as FOX.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

I'm really surprised he hasn't been fired yet. He's called his own network out for fake news so many times. He's a good reporter and Fox news needs a lot more reporters like him.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@joebones5000 said:

Fox is not a news station, never was and never will be. It's the fox entertainment channel. Entertainment for gullible morons who literally believe the dumbest shit.

They definitely have a type: old white male. Average age of viewer is 66, male, and white.

They sit in their retirement homes with this on the TV and watch it all day, just pumping fear and paranoia and false information into their brains.

And, sadly, this age group votes. Every time. All the time. These old farts are the ones making policy. And it's not so much that I think they should vote less, I just think the other demographics need to vote more.

This. SO MUCH THIS. We MUST vote. All age groups. I truly believe it should be a class c felony not to vote. So much of our country is apathetic when it comes to the polls but so boisterous when it comes to opinions.

One thing I will give Pres. Trump's base credit for... they go to the polls.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@joebones5000 said:

funny. the people with the most say in the policies affecting the future of the country are those LEAST likely to be around to see them come into fruition..

maybe at age 70 your vote should get cut in half?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@joebones5000 said:

funny. the people with the most say in the policies affecting the future of the country are those LEAST likely to be around to see them come into fruition..

If we were smart about it, yeah, but that is also soulless. There are a lot of things we "should" be doing because it sounds like a good idea on paper, but there are better alternatives that don't require us losing our humanity and compassion.

And not just voters, but lawmakers and so forth are old, too: average age of congress is 57; average age of the Senate is 61. These are people nearing retirement. And while I do believe in respecting our elders, I don't think that is an unconditional thing as it is in other cultures.

In this case, just get out and vote; I would like to think we would try to get voter participating up to or beyond 90% before we start saying "maybe these old farts don't deserve a full vote" :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

Hmm....a lot of the policies affect you more as you age. Also if you do that then you can't tax them. Isn't the rational for our break with the UK representation? You can argue any demographic isn't going to have the same concerns as others. That doesn't mean we silence them.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comp_atkins said:

Hmm....a lot of the policies affect you more as you age. Also if you do that then you can't tax them. Isn't the rational for our break with the UK representation? You can argue any demographic isn't going to have the same concerns as others. That doesn't mean we silence them.

not silencing them, just dialing down the volume :)