mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 51214 Posts

I suppose on the surface there's a lot to like about the Olympics: societies and cultures from all over the world coming together to compete peacefully in good-natured athletic competition. Young people that have trained and worked hard having their dreams come to fruition. We've seen the Philippines win their first gold medal in over a century, and some other great moments as well ("**** YEAH!" :) )

But dig a little deeper, and there's a lot to dislike. We've already seen it start to crumble on the exterior. Simone Biles, one of the world's premier athletes and winner of numerous gold medals already, had to step down due to mental health issues, who was of course preceded by Naomi Osaka in a non-Olympic tennis event for similar issues as well.

Additionally, Japan has essentially begged the IOC to not host the Olympics and the IOC essentially said "too bad". Meanwhile, Japan has a terrible vaccination rate and has been setting records day after day, with over 3000 new cases on July 28 alone, and nationwide almost 900,000 cases since the pandemic started.

It sort of makes you wonder whether or not we really need to carry on the whole charade, and I want to know what Political Gamers thinks of the Olympics, and more specifically, the International Olympic Committee.

This is definitely a political and economical organization that floats around and holds their authority, power, and influence like a cudgel over various nations, states, and cities and exerts nearly at will it seems.

It has been argued that the Olympics more or less started out by and for eugenicists to display their form of "science" and should this be abhorred by all. Additionally, there are other arguments to be made against having the Olympics, such as:

• environmental impact; spread of zika virus, water polution to the point a teaspoon of water causes illness, excessive sewage issues.
  • economical impact: real estate prices skyrocket, small businesses suffer, big businesses prosper, no long-term benefit, left with buildings that no one uses.
  • social impact: homelessness essentially pushed out of the city so it looks clean, anyone remotely suspicious looking arrested, no one gets to vote, oligarchs only ones that get a say.

What say you? **** the Olympics? Or is that just my being a cynical bastard?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 4937 Posts

Do you really need to find something else to shit on that bad that you're now overanalyzing the Olympic games in search of an excuse to hate it? Loosen up before you give yourself an aneurism. If you do not like the Olympics, don't watch them, it's not rocket science.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 1433 Posts

The olympics should be a global event held in multiple countries for different events, which already have the required infrastructure.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
@eoten said:

Do you really need to find something else to shit on that bad that you're now overanalyzing the Olympic games in search of an excuse to hate it? Loosen up before you give yourself an aneurism. If you do not like the Olympics, don't watch them, it's not rocket science.

Hey buddy, this is just a discussion. I'm not trying to really bring anyone down, I'm just saying....maybe....screw the Olympics? I mean.....they're just sports.

And I don't know, I don't think I really have a habit of "shitting on" things, do I?

Look I used to throw shotput and discus and I had fun with it but jesus christ these people dump maybe the first three decades of their lives into this highly specialized sport or event and they win a gold medal and then....

....what? They don't get paid, members of the IOC make millions, often the locations the Olympics are held are left as shells and ghost towns, with polluted rivers and such and little economic gain.

I'm just saying maybe it's kind of lame is all.

If there was ever a time to bring the Olympics under scrutiny, maybe it's now. So let's talk.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

Anyway here is a really awesome, inspiring podcast titled "The Olympics Is A Crime Against Humanity" from Worst Year Ever

...speaking of shitting on things.

Pretty good listen!

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eoten

And it is entirely their choice to do so. Some people care about more things than money. I doubt outside of the professional team sports that have permeated their way into the games, you'll find many competitors who are in it for money, and not the medals. I am not sure what the point in "scrutinizing" another persons choice to compete is. Certainly you have something better to do with your time than pick their lives apart for your enjoyment.

Avatar image for ghost_of_phobos
Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 Ghost_of_Phobos
Member since 2020 • 2748 Posts

The IOC is like FIA, FIFA or any other big sports organisation. They're basically a mafia and there should be a big movement to clean those houses . Then there's all the stuff with trainers and systemic abuse which I feel have improved a lot (in the west at least).

I do respect the athletes and that's why I watch the Olympics and will continue watching.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
@eoten said:

And it is entirely their choice to do so. Some people care about more things than money. I doubt outside of the professional team sports that have permeated their way into the games, you'll find many competitors who are in it for money, and not the medals. I am not sure what the point in "scrutinizing" another persons choice to compete is. Certainly you have something better to do with your time than pick their lives apart for your enjoyment.

Who's lives? The athletes? I think you misunderstand; I am not going after the athletes. God no. C'mon man I know we have our differences on here but I'd like to think you know me better than that, just because we disagree doesn't make me a "bad guy" in your eyes, does it? Jeeeeeeeeeeeez...

I'm talking mostly about the organization, specifically the IOC.

With that said, if the IOC is so bad, doesn't that make the games themselves bad? Can't we just have regular ol' competitions? Do we need the spectacle of the olympics? I mean these people compete and set records year round why do we need this thing every four years?

@ghost_of_phobos said:

The IOC is like FIA, FIFA or any other big sports organisation. They're basically a mafia and there should be a big movement to clean those houses . Then there's all the stuff with trainers and systemic abuse which I feel have improved a lot (in the west at least).

I do respect the athletes and that's why I watch the Olympics and will continue watching.

Exactly.

Is there any oversight for the IOC? Doesn't really seem like there is. By many accounts it seems like Japan tried to tell them "no" but they essentially strong-armed them and said "Hey you said like ten years ago we could do this"

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25

Anyway, this has clearly fizzled, so before it dies the whole point of this thread wasn't to take the fun out of the sport of the Olympics, it was to question the need for some hoity-toity committee to dictate who, what, where, when, and for how much we get to watch some really awesome athletes from all over the world demonstrate how awesome they are in a good-spirited competition.

More importantly, why isn't this stuff shown year round, all the time? Why is American sports TV limited to basically to anything with a ball or a car?

Would be nice to see these competitions all the time.

It would be nice to see these athletes paid a reasonable salary for putting in the same, if not more, effort than the celebrity-athletes we see playing basketball and football.

So let me rephrase. Screw the IOC. Not the Olympics.

Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghost_of_Phobos

@mrbojangles25: I think there's a need for an organisation like the IOC, but when the attribution of the Games moves billions and billions to the point of having a real impact in the economy of a country that automatically grants them an absurd amount of power.

There's probably contracts that can't be broken too. Formula 1 last year had to happen no matter what and have a certain number of races because of broadcasting rights and apparently it was less expensive to do it with all the Covid restrictions than paying the fines for breaking the contracts.

Here in Europe Eurosport does a good job in following different sports, although (probably because of that) they are kind of low budget.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 16389 Posts

I’m not all that familiar of what the IOC has done aside what you note in here, but even so, I believe the spirit the Olympics brings paramounts the drawbacks.

Just a few thoughts:

-while I understand the fear of C-19, life goes on, and I think it’s important to try to reestablish a semblance of normalcy. Had the vaccine not arrived yet I’d feel differently, but the window of potential remains open for only so long for the dreams of those capable, and the olympics aren’t annual. I’m tired of seeing this damn bug tamper the greatest ambitions of our most talented.

-aside, if Japan were so opposed, why didn’t they withdraw? Nobody can force them to host anything they don’t want to.…it’s their land (unless I’m misunderstood in how this works).

-it’s been very heartwarming to see the response and outpouring of understanding to Biles’ withdrawal (aside the pathetic whining responses of a few contemptible conservative shitstains claiming her an “embarrassment“ and “disgrace” to America). These ”men“ haven’t achieved 1/1000th of what Simone has already done for her country and the discipline she represents, and she doesn’t owe anyone a DAMN thing. This young woman is an absolute beast, we should simply be grateful she graces us with her ability and hard work, and she deserves a break (and honestly, she’s so damn good this gives her teammates an opportunity to shine). We should be more understanding to the mental burden these people endure. Good on Naomi too.

Yeah there’s a lot to dislike, but I think, overall, the good outweighs the bad. Not having the games would be a bummer.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25

@MirkoS77: Yeah I am really surprised and happy by how positive people have been to Simone Biles and her dropping out. Especially considering they took away her ADD medication for some reason right before.

As for Japan, from what I gather you basically have the IOC and Japanese business people (that own the land) telling the Japanese people and local politicians "too bad, this is happening".

Japan has about a 25% vaccination rate (vs the US's 50% rate, for comparison) and their cases are skyrocketing.

Virtually NO ONE in Japan want's this. As stated by Asahi newspaper:

As the pandemic rages on, apoll published in the Japanese newspaper Asahithis month found that 83 percent of Japan’s population opposes holding the Olympics this year. Amongst the opposers are a range of local celebrities, including former yakuza boss turned philanthropist Satoru Takegaki.

I mean, you want to know the real reason for the cardboard beds in the Olympic village? Because they need real beds for all the people dying of COVID in hospitals.

Let that sink in for a minute.

It's got nothing to do with stopping athletes from having sex. You think no one has never done the nasty standing up? On the ground? Over a desk or bent over something? C'mon.

*Sorry I tried to stay positive but it was too hard :( The Olympics just seem so damn trivial right now lol. Just thinking about all those athletes flying back home and seeing their families and giving them COVID and reigniting outbreaks and all kinds of stuff. Superspreader event.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 6308 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

But dig a little deeper, and there's a lot to dislike. We've already seen it start to crumble on the exterior. Simone Biles, one of the world's premier athletes and winner of numerous gold medals already, had to step down due to mental health issues, who was of course preceded by Naomi Osaka in a non-Olympic tennis event for similar issues as well.

Dislike/Like, what is apparent is how interest is fleeting. Hearing thoughts and opinions from the actual residents and tax payers of the host nation(s) would be interesting.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6246 Posts

The core question is whether the Olympics should be publicly funded.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 173739 Posts

Not an Olympic fan but I get that those who train want to compete in them. That's fine. I don't have to watch them. As for the gymnast, she probably shouldn't have tried out for the team if she couldn't compete. That would probably have been better for her. Why deny other athletes the chance because she had some issues? Not sure why this is your stance?

Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghost_of_Phobos

@LJS9502_basic: She's one of the best athletes of all time the pressure to compete must be incredible. Plus just because it's a psychological issue doesn't make it that different from a normal injury, she probably got to a breaking point she thought she could overcome.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

@mrbojangles25: People, athletes included will have mental health issues, it has nothing to do with the Olympics. Nobody forced anyone to participate.

One should consider if their mental health is deteriorating then perhaps he or she should chose to not participate at that time.

The athletes and their staff are all isolated in the Olympic village, they only leave to participate and return. There is very little risk of an athlete spreading anything to the wider society.

One reason why countries bid to hold the Olympics is money. In theory, the Olympics bring in a tremendous amount of money for the host. But admittedly not all countries have managed the costs well and end up losing money.

You’re not a cynical bastard, in general you make decent points (despite we often disagree). You’re just having a boring day and you need something to analyse and think.

If anything, I think Japan has done a great job getting it together. However, the opening ceremony was absolute crap…

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 125646 Posts

I question the choice of country sometimes.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MirkoS77

@LJS9502_basic said:

Not an Olympic fan but I get that those who train want to compete in them. That's fine. I don't have to watch them. As for the gymnast, she probably shouldn't have tried out for the team if she couldn't compete. That would probably have been better for her. Why deny other athletes the chance because she had some issues? Not sure why this is your stance?

From her statements, this problem wasn’t happening until she was in Japan, already committed, and I’m pretty confident she wouldn’t have agreed to commit had her head not been in it at the time.

She’s struggling with something gymnasts call the “Twisties”, said it began in practice in Tokyo. I’m no gymnast, but from the sounds of it, this is not an uncommon condition but one that’s not only debilitating, but can be downright dangerous. They have trouble with spatial understanding in the air which could land them on their head, especially at the level she’s performing at. Probably best that she not only took her own safety into account, but thought for the betterment of the team by not having her low scores affect the team overall.

Says she’s not doing it for herself but for others which really sucks to hear. I hope she takes a break and gets back to doing it because she loves it, then hopefully everything else will fall into place.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 20827 Posts

@MirkoS77: I've heard it compared to, "the yips," which is probably more commonly understood.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MirkoS77

@mattbbpl said:

@MirkoS77: I've heard it compared to, "the yips," which is probably more commonly understood.

First time I've heard the term.

I swear, these people piss me off.

What nerve to claim. This girl has 30+ Olympic medals, she's (along with Phelps) turned gold into somewhat of a banality. You'd think if these people have nothing good to say, they'd keep their mouths shut.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25

@LJS9502_basic said:

That wasn't my sole point. It was just my entry point into the whole crumbling of the cookie.

If this premier athlete can step down from the Olympics, surely the rest of the world can. I think maybe that was my point.

I didn't really have a point in either case, hence why this topic is literally a question ("Screw the Olympics?").

Simone Biles, COVID, Japan/Japanese people not wanting it, the IOC being a mafia....all a bunch of stuff to discuss.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mattbbpl

@MirkoS77: Yeah, the entire sports team allegiance thing is really weird. I like sports quite a bit myself - I enjoy playing them, I enjoy watching them, and I enjoy following and rooting for a team - but people (and LOTS of people) wrap up their identity in sports to the point that they get mad if their team loses or someone spites their team. In the Olympics it takes on a weird nationalistic pride proxy characteristic, and that's what we're seeing here. This athlete hurt their team/country (in their view), and they are pissed.

At the end of the day these are top tier athletes participating in a form of entertainment that.... Doesn't really matter much. Let them have their moment in the sun the way they think is best, and if you're sitting on your couch watching the sport (or worse, sitting on your couch watching Tucker Carlson berate their performances) recognize that you're not involved at all! Chill out, grab some popcorn, and enjoy some world class athletics.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#25 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 47100 Posts

I actually forgot the Olympics were even going on, and even further had to Google why I was seeing "ROC" on the medal feed. Some sports are really fun to watch though, especially enjoy the enthusiasm of the announcers. It can be infectious.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrbojangles25
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I actually forgot the Olympics were even going on, and even further had to Google why I was seeing "ROC" on the medal feed. Some sports are really fun to watch though, especially enjoy the enthusiasm of the announcers. It can be infectious.

I'm a big fan of weightlifting and it's not something you see a lot of on TV unless it's some spectacle like Strongman competition or some sort of record setting thing.

It's fun to watch and really technical at times. Philippines just got their first gold medal in it after attending the Olympics for 100 years, so that's really great to see :)

Bunch of short people lifting 2x (or more) their body weight! Pretty awesome!

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#27 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 47100 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I'm a big fan of weightlifting and it's not something you see a lot of on TV unless it's some spectacle like Strongman competition or some sort of record setting thing.

It's fun to watch and really technical at times. Philippines just got their first gold medal in it after attending the Olympics for 100 years, so that's really great to see :)

Bunch of short people lifting 2x (or more) their body weight! Pretty awesome!

Wow, these folks look exceptionally healthy and fit! I'm jealous. *as I enjoy my screwball/buffalo trace mix sitting on the couch while munching on chips/queso*

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eoten

@mrbojangles25 said:

Anyway, this has clearly fizzled, so before it dies the whole point of this thread wasn't to take the fun out of the sport of the Olympics, it was to question the need for some hoity-toity committee to dictate who, what, where, when, and for how much we get to watch some really awesome athletes from all over the world demonstrate how awesome they are in a good-spirited competition.

More importantly, why isn't this stuff shown year round, all the time? Why is American sports TV limited to basically to anything with a ball or a car?

Would be nice to see these competitions all the time.

It would be nice to see these athletes paid a reasonable salary for putting in the same, if not more, effort than the celebrity-athletes we see playing basketball and football.

So let me rephrase. Screw the IOC. Not the Olympics.

To be honest, most the sports involved are simply not interesting enough to be shown all year round and expect any kind of viewership. Making a spectacle out of it on a rarer occasion seems to work best. If it happened every year, most people would stop caring all together. Also, you should know that the most boring aspect of any sport is when you don't care who wins. If you don't thing Rugby is interesting for example, it's probably because there isn't a team you legitimately want to see beat the others. At least in the Olympics, everyone has a country to cheer for. It just wouldn't have the same impact if it was all year every year.

Avatar image for deactivated-61302760efd95
deactivated-61302760efd95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29 deactivated-61302760efd95
Member since 2020 • 75 Posts

Like E3, I wonder what the point is of going through with the Olympics anymore. I can't appreciate cheering for any government whatsoever and the notion someone would be proud to represent oppressive nation states baffles me.

To each their own but I'm not interested in them and would probably not even notice if they went away for good. I sure as heck almost forgot it was that time again.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 8654 Posts

Maybe it's time to change the Olympics from every 4 years to every 8 years instead?? Or 6 years at least? I agree that it's a huge waste in some ways, it's very political, very costly, and far too corporate nowadays.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mrbojangles25
@sirleothelion said:

Like E3, I wonder what the point is of going through with the Olympics anymore. I can't appreciate cheering for any government whatsoever and the notion someone would be proud to represent oppressive nation states baffles me.

To each their own but I'm not interested in them and would probably not even notice if they went away for good. I sure as heck almost forgot it was that time again.

Yeah I'm not big on nationalism but I think when it comes to the Olympics, you're more cheering on your country, not your government, if you make that distinction.

US has, does, and likely will continue to do some pretty terrible things at home and around the world, but American people as a whole tend to be some pretty great people in my experience and I don't mind cheering them on and being proud of them. Likewise, it's also pretty cool seeing other countries do well and fun to cheer them on; again, citing the Philippines winning their first gold medal was pretty awesome despite Duterte being a grade-A asshole.

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Maybe it's time to change the Olympics from every 4 years to every 8 years instead?? Or 6 years at least? I agree that it's a huge waste in some ways, it's very political, very costly, and far too corporate nowadays.

I'd like to see the sports showcased more often but yeah, the Olympics less often (or not at all, even).

But as others have said, maybe the sports are not popular enough to be shown on cable TV? Not sure if the National Shotput League would sell many ads on NBC during primetime.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 1105 Posts

Its fun to watch, been watching some with my fiancé after work and been enjoying it ( side bar I hate the word fiancé but i feel like a liar saying wife, you guys ever seen that Seinfeld episode??)

We were watching alot of the swimming, these people can fly in the water!

Overall it is fun to watch, BMX was really cool.

I also like Basketball and was looking forward to it.. but we look like shit.

We lost to FRANCE in Basketball!!! WTF... Hope we can come back and redeem ourselves.

Everybody talking about Simone is annoying, she's young and under a lot of pressure. Her choice to opt out if she's too nervous to compete. Kind of wish everyone would shut up about her. I get why people criticize her for dropping out but let it go.

more disappointed by Lebron... He opted out of the olympics to promote space jam 2 instead.. in China no less. The funny thing is China ended up banning Space Jam 2 anyway.. That is way worse to me than simone situation. He has been caving in to china because he knows how much money can be made of their huge population and they still said no to space jam lol

Damn it Lebron... we lost to France..

screw space jam 2: The Search For Chinese Dollars

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mrbojangles25

@sargentd: Yeah watching swimming is amazing, they really do fly.

Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ghost_of_Phobos

I really hope the Olympics aren't going anywhere. It's every athlete dream and as a spectator having this mega event that gathers "every" sport is something that I love.

Already making plans for the Paris games to watch the track and field event, which to me is the highest point of the games.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 1536 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos: we’re in the same boat. I love the olympics.

I haven’t watched as much this time mainly because of the time difference.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25: I thought I was the only one on here.

I love the dynamism of the sport. For something as simple as a straight line race, the techniques used are constantly evolving, and vary by body type. The nuances and physics make it surprisingly complex to unpack.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kadin_Kai

The Olympic Gold medal ranking is becoming very similar to country’s GDP ranking….

Avatar image for RedEyedMonster8
RedEyedMonster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RedEyedMonster8
Member since 2007 • 1344 Posts

@sheevpalpamemes: Yep I also love the Olympics, it's the only sporting event that I enjoy watching. I acknowledge that there are issues, but it doesn't stop my love of it and my admiration for the athletes.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mrbojangles25

@kadin_kai said:

The Olympic Gold medal ranking is becoming very similar to country’s GDP ranking….

It will be especially interesting this Olympics to analyze who went, who won, and how their countries have faired with COVID. Columbia, for example, has done poorly with COVID (and tragically so) while also enduring some really terrible domestic hardships, while the US has about a 60% vaccination rate and has been doing pretty good iirc (except for Basketball...ugh....).

As for the whole GDP argument, not sure I really buy that entirely, though I'm sure there's some degree of truth to it. Countries with high GDP tend to have wealthier citizens which means people might have more free time. If your kid in the suburbs of San Francisco shows promise at age 7 for swimming, you can probably take some time and money and help train them and increase their odds. The same generally can't be said of a rice farmer's kid in Myanmar, I suppose.

With that said, a lot of these athletes are young and do not come from money. They're not paid a lot or at all; if anything, most are coming from college and are probably in debt, and have had to pay coaches to train them. Some might have sponsors or benefactors. I think it's a mixed bag.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mrbojangles25

Here's a nice moment! I guess these two dudes from Qatar and Italy were competing and tied and they were going to have a high-jump "jump off" but instead they decided to share the gold. I thought that was r eally great. 5 minutes, but worth a whole watch. Some nice, real, guilt-free drama from decent humans.

*Italian version for some really passionate announcer moments lol. Dude literally said "mama mia" I always thought that was like a stereotype but the dude actually said it like five times. Mama mia!

Makes me wonder: maybe we all just need to exercise more? Was reading about how people are angrier now than they have been in the past.

Also a 13-year old (!!!) won a gold and another won silver medal in skating. THAT'S AWESOME!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 12988 Posts

On the good side as seen from the smaller pool of countries wanting to bid for the next Olympics, finally interested hosting countries not dumb enough to suicide themselves into debt building new expensive "white elephant" venues to host the Olympics. So many countries failed to recoup the money invested into Olympics and for smaller economy or developing countries its just not worth it even for prestige. The monetary failures and covid forced IOC now to accept potential hosting countries with great existing stadia and "sustainability" plan as a criteria instead of the usual route of voting countries that can promise the most grandeur and expensive projects.

Japan probably wont feel it as much as its a big economy but still it overspent nearly $30billion building new facilities.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sakaiXx  Online

And what with that Belarus Olympian? She now in Poland with her much older husband as a refugee or what?

Idk seems like just a weird set of events. She supposed to run in single 200m sprint but was told by her coach and team that she will run for team relay which she did not consent to. Funny turn of events like can you last minute change your teammates? The participating Olympians qualify via merit or wild cards and names should be finalized like 6 months before. How could she not be told and did she even qualify for the team sprint? Or is she a backup runner incase her teammates gets injured but didnt get the memo or did the coach really attempt to screw her that very last minute?

Hopefully anyone can reply me this and help explain as I am very confused by the nature of this event. Seems like its an issue between her and her coach. Dont really need the widespread attention.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mrbojangles25

@sakaixx said:

And what with that Belarus Olympian? She now in Poland with her much older husband as a refugee or what?

Idk seems like just a weird set of events. She supposed to run in single 200m sprint but was told by her coach and team that she will run for team relay which she did not consent to. Funny turn of events like can you last minute change your teammates? The participating Olympians qualify via merit or wild cards and names should be finalized like 6 months before. How could she not be told and did she even qualify for the team sprint? Or is she a backup runner incase her teammates gets injured but didnt get the memo or did the coach really attempt to screw her that very last minute?

Hopefully anyone can reply me this and help explain as I am very confused by the nature of this event. Seems like its an issue between her and her coach. Dont really need the widespread attention.

Yeah I feel bad for her and don't blame her for defecting; Lukashenko is a dictator for sure, and has a history of jailing, abusing, and killing anyone critical of him, especially public figures. Not too long ago he scrambled fighter planes in order to force a Greek passenger plane to land just to arrest one journalist.

Anyway, apparently there is a long history of defection and the Olympics going as far back as 1948, or the start of the Cold War. Apparently hundreds of people have defected, with over 100 defections alone occurring during the Munich Olympics.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sakaiXx  Online

@mrbojangles25 said:
@sakaixx said:

Yeah I feel bad for her and don't blame her for defecting; Lukashenko is a dictator for sure, and has a history of jailing, abusing, and killing anyone critical of him, especially public figures. Not too long ago he scrambled fighter planes in order to force a Greek passenger plane to land just to arrest one journalist.

Anyway, apparently there is a long history of defection and the Olympics going as far back as 1948, or the start of the Cold War. Apparently hundreds of people have defected, with over 100 defections alone occurring during the Munich Olympics.

What I dont understand is the changing of events last minute part. Did she even qualify for the team relay sprint? I mean to compete for Olympics you have to qualify first. Can she even change her events last minute? Is she a backup runner incase of injury? The Olympics Commitee announce name of participants at least 6 month prior so she should have known this from start. More importantly she first needs to participate in tournaments to qualify via merit or wild card in the team relay to even be named part of the squad.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 173739 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Makes me wonder: maybe we all just need to exercise more? Was reading about how people are angrier now than they have been in the past.

Well dogs get more aggressive when they need exercise. Could be something to that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mrbojangles25

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Well dogs get more aggressive when they need exercise. Could be something to that.

Yeah. I know I always feel better when I've been exercising. Not just immediately after, either, I'm talking like all the time, at least when I can make a habit out of it.

Idunno I'm just watching these athletes and they're the happiest people I've seen in what feels like years. Outside of my niece and nephew (who or under 10 years old) of course :D

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kadin_Kai

@sakaixx: I think the Japanese economy is set to make quite a huge loss on the Olympics.

Much of the economic benefit comes from visitors, buying tickets, booking hotel rooms and spending money.

Olympic Games generally receive over five million visitors in those two and a half weeks. Plus those who go on an extended holiday.

Japan isn’t getting any of that.

It’s only really making money from selling the television rights and I don’t think all of that goes to Japan, some of it will go to the Olympic Committee.

Not to mention it had to literally make arrangements twice.

Plus Japan may have a sizeable economy, it is also the most indebted country in the world with debt-to-gdp at 266%.

I can’t see how this isn’t going to be seen as a financial shit-storm.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kadin_Kai

Congrats to the US team which again won the most Gold and most medals! 👏 👏

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 8654 Posts
@kadin_kai said:

@sakaixx: I think the Japanese economy is set to make quite a huge loss on the Olympics.

Much of the economic benefit comes from visitors, buying tickets, booking hotel rooms and spending money.

Olympic Games generally receive over five million visitors in those two and a half weeks. Plus those who go on an extended holiday.

It’s only really making money from selling the television rights and I don’t think all of that goes to Japan, some of it will go to the Olympic Committee.

Plus Japan may have a sizeable economy, it is also the most indebted country in the world with debt-to-gdp at 266%.

pretty much this ^^. I heard the japanese were begging the IOC to cancel the olympics, but were refused. Honestly I have no clue why anyone would want to spend so much $$ on a money pit like the olympics. And the IOC has bidding wars against countries, who will spend more money, build more buildings, railways, roads etc. These things cost a fortune. Instead of bidding war, they should have a lottery of all the willing participant countries. Whoever gets picked gets to host, and if they don't want to, then do another pick. This way a country can just host the olympics without having to spend too much on crazy promises.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mrbojangles25

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@kadin_kai said:

pretty much this ^^. I heard the japanese were begging the IOC to cancel the olympics, but were refused. Honestly I have no clue why anyone would want to spend so much $$ on a money pit like the olympics. And the IOC has bidding wars against countries, who will spend more money, build more buildings, railways, roads etc. These things cost a fortune. Instead of bidding war, they should have a lottery of all the willing participant countries. Whoever gets picked gets to host, and if they don't want to, then do another pick. This way a country can just host the olympics without having to spend too much on crazy promises.

I read the same. Upwards of 80% of the Japanese people, and most local government officials, were against having the Olympics at one point.

I think the people that profit are the rights holders, people that profit from TV, and so on. I imagine there were quite a few under-the-table payments made and bribes and such as well. I don't think many storefronts profited from this like they usually do, like vendors and stuff.

As for hosting, I don't know...would it be terrible to just have it in Greece every time? The kind of infrastructure needed for the Olympics warrants a permanent setup in my opinion; if they want to have it in Greece for tradition's sake and then maybe invite a country to put it on and share in the revenue (maybe make it a non-profit charitable thing), that might be the way to go? Idunno just brainstorming a bit.