SCOTUS: Employees Can Be Forced to Waive Right to Sue As Condition of Employment

• 54 results
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: "You are really bad at common sense here."

(Ignores everything I've said and refuses to acknowledge how class action suits work)

We're done here.

Come on even you with your supposed "economic knowledge" knows that there is no way an avg single arbitration can become more expensive than a civil suit or a class-action arbitration.

But sure let´s call it there since you have no interest in the actual facts.

Oh, let´s just for the others look at the facts

Normal arbitration is scheduled to take ½ a day, meaning that if more people have to be heard more days have to be scheduled.

A lawyer costs between 600-1200$ a hour and that is without the extra cost that can be included like, investigatory work etc.

So there is no way a class-action arbitration always can be less costly than a one on one as you claim, it´s just not possible.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Jacanuk: I repeat:

Costs of Arbitration/Many < Costs of Arbitration/One

As an illustration, my wife's case covered over 1000 employees. It was handled by a single 2 lawyer team from the same firm. Had each employee has to file suit separately, it would have required 1000+ lawyers with the hours required for each individual case., 1000+ arbitration diem charges, and each employee would be covering the costs of their case individually.

As a group it requires far fewer resources across the board because it's handled as a single case. The single case resources may be higher than those of a single individualized case, but it's far lower in total.

The fact that you are either unable or unwilling to see this blows my mind.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#53  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: I repeat:

Costs of Arbitration/Many < Costs of Arbitration/One

As an illustration, my wife's case covered over 1000 employees. It was handled by a single 2 lawyer team from the same firm. Had each employee has to file suit separately, it would have required 1000+ lawyers with the hours required for each individual case., 1000+ arbitration diem charges, and each employee would be covering the costs of their case individually.

As a group it requires far fewer resources across the board because it's handled as a single case. The single case resources may be higher than those of a single individualized case, but it's far lower in total.

The fact that you are either unable or unwilling to see this blows my mind.

Your wife´s case is not representative of all the cases. And if it was handled by 2 lawyers it was not a very complex case.

So not every case is the same.

A group like your wife may exist but in general, an individual arbitration would be less costly depending on the complexity of the case and how many lawyers and manhours there has to be involved. Also, I am sure that 2 law team had quite a lot of hours

Also according to the AAA - An individual is capped at 300$ fee exclusive of the lawyer fees. Which can be for some a no-win - No fee basis.

But I am not saying that there are not cases where class-actions is not cheaper, I am just saying that your claim that All cases are cheaper when it´s a class action is wrong.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

@theone86: It wouldn't have mattered, people keep telling me that Democrats and Republicans are the same.

I'm pretty sure that when I die the coroner will list my cause of death as a sarcasm overdose. Most days I would laugh at this, but today I'm just like "can we please have some news that doesn't cause an instant sarcastic deflection?"

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@theone86: Recent studies suggest that sarcasm makes you smarter.

I'm just doing my part to raise your IQ. :-P