Sandy Hook Parents Sue Alex Jones For Defamation

• 55 results
#1 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -

Two parents who lost children in the Sandy Hook school shooting have filed lawsuits against Alex Jones for his false claims about the incident being a "giant hoax." These conspiracies have resulted in the parents being harassed about their dead children, including death threats

Neil Heslin, the father of a 6-year-old boy killed in the shooting, and Leonard Pozner and Veronique De La Rosa, who lost their own little boy, filed the suits in Austin, Texas, where Jones’ conspiracy-minded media outlet is based. Each suit is seeking more than $1 million in damages from Jones, Infowars and a related company, Free Speech Systems LLC. Infowars reporter Owen Shroyer is also named in one of the suits.

“Even after these folks had to experience this trauma, for the next five years they were tormented by Alex Jones with vicious lies about them,” Mark Bankston, the lawyer handling the cases for the parents, told HuffPost. “And these lies were meant to convince his audience that the Sandy Hook parents are frauds and have perpetrated a sinister lie on the American people.”

Infowars’ practice of disseminating outright lies has led to serious consequences for the families of the Sandy Hook victims, the lawsuit says. In June 2017, Florida woman Lucy Richards, then 57, was sentenced to five months in prison for sending threats to Pozner.

“You gonna die,” Richards told Pozner in one recorded voicemail message. “Death is coming to you real soon.”

As part of her sentence, Richards will no longer be allowed to access Infowars, according to the lawsuit.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/sandy-hook-parents-hit-alex-jones-with-defamation-lawsuits_us_5acf6a6de4b0ac383d74bfe1

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/business/media/alex-jones-sandy-hook.html

These lawsuits join other recent defamation cases against Alex Jones in relation to his accusations and statements related to the Charlottesville Attack and the Parkland shooting

#2 Posted by Horgen (117902 posts) -

Why would anyone fake a school shooting?

#3 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -

@horgen said:

I believe the conspiracy goes that it would act as a reason to take away everyone's guns

#4 Posted by Treflis (13506 posts) -

I remember a time when a conspiracy theory involved things like alien's probing cows to get Wifi signal and Illuminati running the DMV, you know the silly stuff.
Not the sinister stuff being peddled by the bottom scrapings of society today and the nitwits that believe it.

#5 Posted by nintendoboy16 (34975 posts) -

Good. Hope they win.

#6 Edited by Horgen (117902 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@horgen said:

I believe the conspiracy goes that it would act as a reason to take away everyone's guns

Eh, I think we are well beyond where that would work.

#7 Posted by Baconstrip78 (1019 posts) -

Hope he is sued into bankruptcy.

#8 Posted by TryIt (9434 posts) -

@horgen said:

and then make death threats over a fake shooting.

somewhat ironical

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#9 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@Baconstrip78 said:

Hope he is sued into bankruptcy.

Yes.

#10 Edited by mrbojangles25 (41253 posts) -
@tryit said:
@horgen said:

somewhat ironical

Totally.

A friend said the best way to get these kids to shut up and stop protesting would be to shoot them.

Now that's irony. I was about to lose my shit on her and be like "Shooting them is what caused them to boycott, protest, and so forth in the first place..." but these people are beyond reason. Also, she would pull the whole "Relax, I'm just joking" card conservatives bat-shit insane right-wingers pull

#11 Posted by comp_atkins (35098 posts) -

i hope they get $100M

despicable people.

#12 Posted by TryIt (9434 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@tryit said:
@horgen said:

somewhat ironical

Totally.

A friend said the best way to get these kids to shut up and stop protesting would be to shoot them.

Now that's irony. I was about to lose my shit on her and be like "Shooting them is what caused them to boycott, protest, and so forth in the first place..." but these people are beyond reason. Also, she would pull the whole "Relax, I'm just joking" card conservatives bat-shit insane right-wingers pull

I think you need to loose that friend.

or at least explain why you might. principles before friendships

#13 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41253 posts) -

@tryit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@tryit said:
@horgen said:

somewhat ironical

Totally.

I think you need to loose that friend.

or at least explain why you might. principles before friendships

I'm sadly too loyal for my own good :P

I don't think she meant it. Besides, my friend is generally a good person; I chalk it up to her ADD, dyslexia, anxiety, and general weirdness.

#14 Posted by joebones5000 (1818 posts) -

Gun morons are the root of most problems in this country. Thankfully, gun ownership is going way down.

#15 Posted by N64DD (10210 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Good. Hope they win.

+10

#16 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -

@horgen said:
@drlostrib said:
@horgen said:

Eh, I think we are well beyond where that would work.

Well they are conspiracy theories, no one said they'd really stand up to logical scrutiny. Unfortunately, people still believe them

#17 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Good. Hope they win.

+10

@n64dd said:
@drlostrib said:

more infowars spam

Valid news source

#18 Posted by Jacanuk (15157 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

Two parents who lost children in the Sandy Hook school shooting have filed lawsuits against Alex Jones for his false claims about the incident being a "giant hoax." These conspiracies have resulted in the parents being harassed about their dead children, including death threats

Neil Heslin, the father of a 6-year-old boy killed in the shooting, and Leonard Pozner and Veronique De La Rosa, who lost their own little boy, filed the suits in Austin, Texas, where Jones’ conspiracy-minded media outlet is based. Each suit is seeking more than $1 million in damages from Jones, Infowars and a related company, Free Speech Systems LLC. Infowars reporter Owen Shroyer is also named in one of the suits.

“Even after these folks had to experience this trauma, for the next five years they were tormented by Alex Jones with vicious lies about them,” Mark Bankston, the lawyer handling the cases for the parents, told HuffPost. “And these lies were meant to convince his audience that the Sandy Hook parents are frauds and have perpetrated a sinister lie on the American people.”

Infowars’ practice of disseminating outright lies has led to serious consequences for the families of the Sandy Hook victims, the lawsuit says. In June 2017, Florida woman Lucy Richards, then 57, was sentenced to five months in prison for sending threats to Pozner.

“You gonna die,” Richards told Pozner in one recorded voicemail message. “Death is coming to you real soon.”

As part of her sentence, Richards will no longer be allowed to access Infowars, according to the lawsuit.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/sandy-hook-parents-hit-alex-jones-with-defamation-lawsuits_us_5acf6a6de4b0ac383d74bfe1

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/business/media/alex-jones-sandy-hook.html

These lawsuits join other recent defamation cases against Alex Jones in relation to his accusations and statements related to the Charlottesville Attack and the Parkland shooting

Alex Jones is cancer but he has every right to say this and a defamation is very hard to get past the courts.

So my bet is that these parents are just out for quick paycheck when Jones settles to get this over and done with, which is sad.

#19 Posted by Horgen (117902 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

Well they are conspiracy theories, no one said they'd really stand up to logical scrutiny. Unfortunately, people still believe them

Forgot the logic... Or lack of it.

#20 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

Alex Jones is cancer but he has every right to say this and a defamation is very hard to get past the courts.

So my bet is that these parents are just out for quick paycheck when Jones settles to get this over and done with, which is sad.

No the sad part is that this all had to happen anyways because people were being harassed over their dead children

also false statements may not be covered by the First Amendment especially if they are knowingly false, contain malice, or are negligent

#21 Edited by Jacanuk (15157 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

No the sad part is that this all had to happen anyways because people were being harassed over their dead children

also false statements may not be covered by the First Amendment especially if they are knowingly false, contain malice, or are negligent

Alex Jones is considered a news reporter , So his concerns are covered under the 1st amendment. Even his insane rants are covered.

#22 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:
@Jacanuk said:

Alex Jones is considered a news reporter , So his concerns are covered under the 1st amendment. Even his insane rants are covered.

that probably depends who you ask, including alex jones, but just being a reporter does not protect him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
#23 Edited by deactivated-5b19214ec908b (25072 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Hes lost defamation lawsuits before.

Loading Video...

Being a reporter doesn't mean you can say whatever you want.

#24 Posted by DaVillain- (30641 posts) -

Good. Alex Jones deserves every loss he can get and let that POS stand in a courtroom and explain where he gets his information from, or pay these people.

#25 Posted by Jacanuk (15157 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@Jacanuk: Hes lost defamation lawsuits before.

Being a reporter doesn't mean you can say whatever you want.

Yep, but there is a difference between airing a conspiracy theory and some of the other shit he has said.

But don´t get me wrong, I hope he loses.

The guy is pure toxic and should learn that he just can't say whatever he feels like.

#26 Posted by joebones5000 (1818 posts) -

He's a typical conservative idiot, but he's not going to lose.

#27 Posted by SOedipus (10999 posts) -

But...freedom of speech? I’m embarrassed to actually know people who think Sandy Hook was staged. That “theory” was getting around before Alex though.

#28 Posted by SUD123456 (5091 posts) -

Hope they take him for every cent he has. This guy and every person like him should be left with nothing, literally nothing. Then we will see the truth of their convictions, in which case we can either get him a janitorial job or the mental health support he needs.

#29 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -

Alex jones now says he's being defamed by the defamation lawsuits

"You're allowed to question things in America, that's not defamation," Jones said in a video for his site InfoWars. "But what is defamation is to file lawsuits that say I said things I didn't say, and then put me and my whole family through the ringer and lie about us and hold us up against dead children and say basically we hate their families, we hate the children."

"It's almost like I murdered the children, and that's not what happened," he added.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/infowars_alex_jones_responds_t.html

#30 Posted by N64DD (10210 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

"You're allowed to question things in America, that's not defamation," Jones said in a video for his site InfoWars. "But what is defamation is to file lawsuits that say I said things I didn't say, and then put me and my whole family through the ringer and lie about us and hold us up against dead children and say basically we hate their families, we hate the children."

"It's almost like I murdered the children, and that's not what happened," he added.

He's a quack.

#31 Posted by korvus (11244 posts) -
@drlostrib said:

"Hold us up against dead children"? "It's almost like I murdered the children"? But Alex, I thought nobody had died? Are those crisis actors so good that they're getting to you? Or is this the "that was a character I was doing" bit again?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
#32 Posted by deactivated-5b19214ec908b (25072 posts) -

@korvus: it sounds like he's claiming he never said it was fake, he was just asking if it might be fake.

A pretty weak defence.

#33 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@drlostrib said:

He's a quack.

He's representative of the modern American right-wing. Trump even considers him a confidant and has appeared on his show.

#34 Edited by N64DD (10210 posts) -
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:
@drlostrib said:

He's a quack.

He's representative of the modern American right-wing. Trump even considers him a confidant and has appeared on his show.

How long ago was that?

He's about as representative of the right wing, as Michael Moore is of the left.

#35 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@n64dd said:

How long ago was that?

He's about as representative of the right wing, as Michael Moore is of the left.

He appeared during the campaign on Jones's show.

I'm not a fan of Michael Moore but that comparison is completely asinine. Moore isn't a complete lunatic who is getting sued by the parents of dead kids. To compare the two just shows how warped you are.

#36 Posted by N64DD (10210 posts) -
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

How long ago was that?

I'm not a fan of Michael Moore but that comparison is completely asinine. Moore isn't a complete lunatic who is getting sued by the parents of dead kids. To compare the two just shows how warped you are.

He just made money of 9/11. I guess when you're not American you don't get the whole picture or all the information.

Call me warped though.

#37 Edited by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@n64dd said:

He just made money of 9/11. I guess when you're not American you don't get the whole picture or all the information.

Call me warped though.

He did, yeah.

I'm sorry to inform you he's still not as bad as Alex Jones, the mainstream, right-wing thought leader and influencer. Sad!

#38 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

How long ago was that?

Call me warped though.

wut?

#39 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

Call me warped though.

I'm sorry to inform you he's still not as bad as Alex Jones, the mainstream, right-wing thought leader and influencer. Sad!

or as N64DD refers to him: "a valid news source"

#40 Edited by Gaming-Planet (19406 posts) -
@horgen said:

It would be pretty hard to pull off, and even I'm cynical.

Even if they did die and they put in a fall guy, that would be hard to pull off in the justice system as well. The last conspiracy theory--they've been MK ultra'd.

Well, MK Ultra was a pretty lame experiment based off of bad hypotheses. I guess you could say LSD makes people more anti-war (think of Vietnam).

#41 Posted by N64DD (10210 posts) -
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

Call me warped though.

He did, yeah.

You wouldn't know. The only thing you know about US culture is what you're told.

#42 Posted by Horgen (117902 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

Call me warped though.

wut?

It's somewhat common by him to do this.

#43 Posted by DrLostRib (4047 posts) -

@horgen: seems like a shit "argument" to attack someone because of where they're from, rather than addressing the discussion.

#44 Posted by bigfootpart2 (860 posts) -

I'll just leave this right here. The people who peddle these conspiracy theories and harass shooting victims and their families are human garbage.

Loading Video...

#45 Posted by Horgen (117902 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

@horgen: seems like a shit "argument" to attack someone because of where they're from, rather than addressing the discussion.

It works well if you have no intention of discussing it further.

#46 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@n64dd: I believe that’s called an ad hominem attack. Attacking me rather than the actual argument presented. Poor form, smh.

#47 Posted by LJS9502_basic (164194 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

I hope they win....they probably will actually. Defamation is not hard to get past the courts. Most people don't go after it because then it gets more attention than the original statement.

You really have some twisted views about parents want.

#48 Posted by LJS9502_basic (164194 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:
@n64dd said:

Call me warped though.

He did, yeah.

You wouldn't know. The only thing you know about US culture is what you're told.

Gun culture sucks. Believing people like Alex Jones sucks. Calling for death threats against parents who lost children in a school shooting sucks. Have I missed any suckage about American culture cause I can add to it. And oh yeah...........I'm American so shove off with being an apologist for these despicable individuals.

#49 Posted by sonicare (56150 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

I hope they win....they probably will actually. Defamation is not hard to get past the courts. Most people don't go after it because then it gets more attention than the original statement.

Defamation is actually one of the hardest things to prove in a court of law. Many lawyers don't want to take it because it's not worth the risk and effort. Each state is different in its standards, but generally you have to prove that not only was there a false statement of fact, but that it was deliberate, with malice or spite, and that it caused harm. Furthermore, one generally has to show damages and that can be extremely difficult in a situation where there is no economic or physical loss. The courts, historically, have favored the side of free speech as we have a lot of law and precedents protecting that right.

People are free to give opinions on matters. An opinion, by its nature, can not be proven false. I have no idea what Alex Jones said or how he said it. He may very well have committed demonstrable defamation, but it's a tough thing to prove in a court of law. I'm not defending Alex Jones, however. My personal opinion and this is not a statement of fact whatsoever, is that he is a turd.

#50 Posted by LJS9502_basic (164194 posts) -

@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drlostrib said:

Defamation is actually one of the hardest things to prove in a court of law. Many lawyers don't want to take it because it's not worth the risk and effort. Each state is different in its standards, but generally you have to prove that not only was there a false statement of fact, but that it was deliberate, with malice or spite, and that it caused harm. Furthermore, one generally has to show damages and that can be extremely difficult in a situation where there is no economic or physical loss. The courts, historically, have favored the side of free speech as we have a lot of law and precedents protecting that right.

People are free to give opinions on matters. An opinion, by its nature, can not be proven false. I have no idea what Alex Jones said or how he said it. He may very well have committed demonstrable defamation, but it's a tough thing to prove in a court of law. I'm not defending Alex Jones, however. My personal opinion and this is not a statement of fact whatsoever, is that he is a turd.

And in this case they have said evidence.