IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1844 Posts

Here's an interesting Bloomberg article that says Russia Is an Emerging Superpower in Global Food Supply

If you think of it, what will be the most precious resource 50 years in the future ? Food. With our current population growth, the planet population will probably hit 10B by 2070. Food and fresh water will naturally become a strategic resource in order to feed the futuristic 10B people. The climate change, which I assume is inevitable at this point, will reshape the World politically, socially and economically.

First of all, you may ask how the climate change will affect the current global food supply? Well, the answer is simple - the incoming extreme droughts and floods that we already observe in the world will destroy the harvests of the biggest food suppliers such the US, Latin America and Asia. All those regions will be most affected by the climate change. The summers will be much hotter, floods, more devastating, and winters, colder. But the country who will suffer the least from the climate change is naturally Russia. Siberia's climate will become much milder, the Siberian permafrost will recede liberating millions of acre of former frozen soil for agriculture and natural resource extraction. Most of the Siberian resources are untapped due to expensive costs of extraction due to the frozen lands. Due to the climate change, what was once unavailable will become free for taking.

In the end, this is a long strategic game that Putin, the EU and the US are aware of. This explains the current aggressive stance of the US on Russia. The US wants to deal with a humbler Russia now than with an economic superpower 50 years later.

Thoughts ?

GamingPCGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GamingPCGod
Member since 2015 • 132 Posts

No....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Uh, I think you should actually research what will happen if the Siberian tundra permafrost thaws.

Hint: it's not good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

So you're saying that Russia is completely behind global warming and we should immediately boycott and isolate them. Ok.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Canada has traditionally been one of the largest exporters of wheat for many decades. It hasn't made us into a superpower. /thread

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

@perfect_blue said:

Uh, I think you should actually research what will happen if the Siberian tundra permafrost thaws.

Hint: it's not good.

yes...quoting articles from clueless authors isn't smart. The canadian permafrost in boreal forests/northern tundra actually already started thawing....and like you said, its not a good thing at all.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

I'm sorry, but since when has Russia ever had it good?

Read their history, it's sad as hell. It's made them strong and created some great people, but it does not make for a healthy, prosperous country.

There is a first time for everything, and on that day you can show me this post and go "I told you so!", but until that day I wouldn't expect much. The only good thing that has happened to Russia as a result of climate change is they've gained access to more coastline; with so much territory north of the arctic circle, as the ice and snow recedes, they gain new access to waters that were once permanently or seasonally frozen.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

My only concern is trump giving them the leadership role with his inadequacy.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Obama already did that while you were asleep.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No. When trump entered office the US was still a world leader. Another JimB failure.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No. When trump entered office the US was still a world leader. Another JimB failure.

I have to ask where have you been? Are you so blind to the events around you and the Russian entry on to the world stage as a major player now in the middle east. This took place under Obama when he decided to lead from behind.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Cool. I liked Rocky IV.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I have to ask where have you been? Are you so blind to the events around you and the Russian entry on to the world stage as a major player now in the middle east. This took place under Obama when he decided to lead from behind.

Straw manning doesn't make you right. That wasn't what I said. You need to pay better attention rather than pushing your agenda.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Canada has traditionally been one of the largest exporters of wheat for many decades. It hasn't made us into a superpower. /thread

i blame the recent anti-gluten trend. suddenly everyone has celiac disease..

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Read their history, it's sad as hell. It's made them strong and created some great people, but it does not make for a healthy, prosperous country.

There is a first time for everything, and on that day you can show me this post and go "I told you so!", but until that day I wouldn't expect much. The only good thing that has happened to Russia as a result of climate change is they've gained access to more coastline; with so much territory north of the arctic circle, as the ice and snow recedes, they gain new access to waters that were once permanently or seasonally frozen.

Vodka is life. How can you claim anything else? :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Vodka is life. How can you claim anything else? :P

Wasn't that actually from Poland initially?

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1844 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: the Polish vodka was not the real vodka how we know it today. The Polish vodka was made through fermentation and alcohol degree in it was just 18. It was Russians who distilled vodka to its optimal 40 degrees of alcohol content. The only thing in common, historically speaking, between Polish and Russian vodka was just the name itself, but their respective products were completely different. The vodka as we know it was invented by Russians through science.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

And they have the best leader in the world

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic

@ivangrozny said:

@LJS9502_basic: the Polish vodka was not the real vodka how we know it today. The Polish vodka was made through fermentation and alcohol degree in it was just 18. It was Russians who distilled vodka to its optimal 40 degrees of alcohol content. The only thing in common, historically speaking, between Polish and Russian vodka was just the name itself, but their respective products were completely different. The vodka as we know it was invented by Russians through science.

Very contested but the vodka was brought to Russia from Poland so I don't think you can discount it off hand. Early Russian vodka wasn't like it is today either.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

@ivangrozny said:

LJS I don't know. While I know Polish people love vodka, I think the Russians thinks even higher about it. The Polish (and in other Eastern Europe countries) cheers is na zdrowie. Meaning bless you or for good health. You don't take a shot of vodka without saying it :P (Because that vodka shot will do much good for your health, right?)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@ivangrozny said:

LJS I don't know. While I know Polish people love vodka, I think the Russians thinks even higher about it. The Polish (and in other Eastern Europe countries) cheers is na zdrowie. Meaning bless you or for good health. You don't take a shot of vodka without saying it :P (Because that vodka shot will do much good for your health, right?)

Haha....vodka is good for you. Don't tell me otherwise. :P

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yup that is why Russia went into Ukraine and annexed Crimea or Assad laughed at the US.

Obama was one of the biggest apologists in the world and cost the us insane amount of respect among the world despots. He may have gotten the sissy french and Merkel to like him, but they would roll over faster than you can say Hamburger if Russia decided to come knocking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Actually, Putin repeatedly stood up to Obama and made us look incredibly weak and ineffectual. Obama's foreign policy was one of drawing lines in the sand and then retreating. Trump is just plain nuts and most countries can't get a read on him. But our leadership role was already sinking massively - went bad under Bush and continued to plummet on Obama.

DeonSpurlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 DeonSpurlin
Member since 2017 • 16 Posts
@joebones5000 said:

Well, Putin already has his man in the White House, so it seems Russia is already the most powerful country.

Yeah your indeed correct lol

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@sonicare said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Actually, Putin repeatedly stood up to Obama and made us look incredibly weak and ineffectual. Obama's foreign policy was one of drawing lines in the sand and then retreating. Trump is just plain nuts and most countries can't get a read on him. But our leadership role was already sinking massively - went bad under Bush and continued to plummet on Obama.

Which doesn't change that the US was considered a world leader. That is changing with this president. Pay attention to words.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yup that is why Russia went into Ukraine and annexed Crimea or Assad laughed at the US.

Obama was one of the biggest apologists in the world and cost the us insane amount of respect among the world despots. He may have gotten the sissy french and Merkel to like him, but they would roll over faster than you can say Hamburger if Russia decided to come knocking.

Do you even have a clue what I'm talking about? Because it doesn't sound like you do. The US was still a world leader when trump took office. That is slowly diminishing. Period. You can pretend all you want but that doesn't change the reality of trump not being diplomatic....educated etc. Allies are becoming stronger.....we are becoming weaker.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Do you even have a clue what I'm talking about? Because it doesn't sound like you do. The US was still a world leader when trump took office. That is slowly diminishing. Period. You can pretend all you want but that doesn't change the reality of trump not being diplomatic....educated etc. Allies are becoming stronger.....we are becoming weaker.

You are talking nonsense. The US is still the world leader and having Trump has president is not going to change that.

Especially since there is no one else.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

Preferred alcohol if I am out drinking to get drunk. Otherwise it is beer until I feel a little buzz.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Remember what the climatologists were saying about NorCal (around 2013 to early 2014) within the next decade and then correlate that with the last two winters.

Hell. We're in southern Arizona and one hour away from the Mexico border. We're not even close to being drought-stricken even though we're smack in the middle of the Sonoran Desert.

Although I agree climate change is in full-swing, there isn't a forecast model that initializes and verifies what's actually happening.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Canada has the 10th largest GDP in the world. Food supply is pretty important.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You are talking nonsense. The US is still the world leader and having Trump has president is not going to change that.

Not true. Other leaders are becoming much more important.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Your arguments in a nutshell. "Say something, say that's not what you meant, and people don't know how to read". claim strawman when people give valid points, then talk in circles.

I honestly do believe you were in Army Intelligence. You know how to talk a lot without saying anything at all and confusing the conversation up quite well.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

And which leaders is that?

I guess you may be referring to the German and the french dictator, which is wrong so hate to remove your blindfold but their "power" in the world is not even a blip.

Russia and China are different stories , but Russia is alone and China is a player but not a big player.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Your arguments in a nutshell. "Say something, say that's not what you meant, and people don't know how to read". claim strawman when people give valid points, then talk in circles.

I honestly do believe you were in Army Intelligence. You know how to talk a lot without saying anything at all and confusing the conversation up quite well.

Germany for one. France for another. And with this NK mess Russia and China.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Nice try.

But while within the EU you are right Germany and France has some power, in the world they are just spectators

Russia and China of course has something to say but on the opposite side.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Nice try.

But while within the EU you are right Germany and France has some power, in the world they are just spectators

Meanwhile Trump has the US becoming irrelevant on the world stage. Once again you ignore what is happening.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Nice try.

Meanwhile Trump has the US becoming irrelevant on the world stage. Once again you ignore what is happening.

I do not get that you can be this blinded by your hate for Trump.

This is so obviously untrue that it´s crazy you would even claim it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

It must be hard for you to understand one can be against policy....or lack thereof....or find an individual is doing a poor job. That speaks more to your character than others. You're deflecting how you approach things onto others.

It is definitely true that the US has become less relevant to the rest of the world...denying that is merely showing you don't pay attention or don't understand.

And remember what I said about childishness before. You're doing it again.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

It must be hard for you to understand one can be against policy....or lack thereof....or find an individual is doing a poor job. That speaks more to your character than others. You're deflecting how you approach things onto others.

It is definitely true that the US has become less relevant to the rest of the world...denying that is merely showing you don't pay attention or don't understand.

And remember what I said about childishness before. You're doing it again.

Hmm, remind me again what you said about getting personal.

And if you really think America is becoming irrelevant you clearly are not following the news or any world politics.

But i know you are so blinded by hate for trump that it makes you close the eyes to the truth.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:

And if you really think America is becoming irrelevant you clearly are not following the news or any world politics.

But i know you are so blinded by hate for trump that it makes you close the eyes to the truth.

Hmmm....I treat people the way they treat others. Those who have respectful discussions are treated with respect. Those who don't....get disrespect. Some of the best conversations I 've had here are with those that disagree. You aren't in that category lest you ask.

I do follow the news.

But I know you are so infatuated by love for trump that it makes you close the eyes to the truth.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

Hmmm....I treat people the way they treat others. Those who have respectful discussions are treated with respect. Those who don't....get disrespect. Some of the best conversations I 've had here are with those that disagree. You aren't in that category lest you ask.

I do follow the news.

But I know you are so infatuated by love for trump that it makes you close the eyes to the truth.

Of course you do, funny thing tho is that those debates have to be a long time ago, because all i have seen is irrational hate from you.

And if you do follow the news, let´s talk facts. Who does the world media spend most of their time debating, who is being looked to for a answer to the NK situation.

And love for Trump, not really. As i have stated he was the best choice there was and luckily the republicans got a foot in before the democrats would have destroyed the legal system for decades.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N64DD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@ivangrozny said:

Women drink vodka.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

Women drink vodka.

Most people drink vodka...it is the number one spirit sold. Enjoy your fruit-filled sweet drinks though...........

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@n64dd said:

Women drink vodka.

And your point is? If I wish to get hammered, I'll empty a 700ml or bigger bottle with vodka. Ever been drinking with girls from eastern Europe? They sure know how to handle vodka :D

@LJS9502_basic said:

Most people drink vodka...it is the number one spirit sold. Enjoy your fruit-filled sweet drinks though...........

Only alcohol I bother have in back up for now. Just a bottle of coke, shot the vodka and a sip of coca cola and it's all good. :D

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

Women drink vodka.

Number 1 spirit sold is Jinro Soju

2nd is Indian whiskey and 3rd is Ruang Kao

Just a small FYI.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By N64DD

@LJS9502_basic: I was just stating a fact. No need to get defensive. Men drink vodka as well!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Just a small FYI.

You're comparing brands. I saw that stat. It outsold Smirnoff. I wasn't talking brands.

Just a small FYI.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 N64DD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Just a small FYI.

You're comparing brands. I saw that stat. It outsold Smirnoff. I wasn't talking brands.

Just a small FYI.

Women drink Smirnoff.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@n64dd said:

Women drink Smirnoff.