Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

The Hill

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has threatened "war” with Canada unless the nation takes back thousands of tons of trash shipped to Manila by a Canadian company, according to CNN Philippines.

"I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that [trash] out," Duterte said Tuesday, according to CNN Philippines. "We'll declare war against them, we can handle them anyway."

The company, Chronic Plastics, reportedly shipped 103 containers holding 2,450 tons of trash between 2013 and 2014. While they were labeled as recyclable plastics, Philippine inspectors found them to not be recyclable. Last June, the Philippines's Office of the Ombudsman ruled the shipments illegal, finding Chronic Plastics shipped the cargo without import clearances, according to the report. The office also found probable cause to charge an official with the country's Department of Environment and Natural Resources with graft for mishandling the shipment.

Many of the containers remain at the port of Manila, according to the news outlet.

“I cannot understand why they are making us a dump site," Duterte said. He also threatened to dump the trash in front of the Canadian Embassy himself, saying the "garbage is coming home."

The Philippines have called on Canada to reclaim the dumped waste for years. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in 2017 that the country was “very much engaged in finding a solution,” according to CNN Philippines.

The comment is the leader's latest to raise eyebrows internationally. In March, he referred to women as “bitches” and “crazy” at a woman’s empowerment event and has reportedly ordered his military to shoot female rebels in the genitals.

Well...

...though I can guess Trump would probably side with Duterte over this. Ending our alliance with Canada.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

As a Canadian and a Duerte fan, I’m torn on this. On one hand this is an extreme war declaration, but on the other I can see his point. But should a country be held accountable for the crimes or injustices a private company commits? I think not. But Trudeau is coming off this looking like a big hypocrite. His party (the Liberals) just imposed a carbon tax on us which is an environmental issue. This falls under that category so why wasn’t this already dealt with and prioritized?

‘...though I can guess Trump would probably side with Duterte over this. Ending our alliance with Canada’

@nintendoboy16:

Must everything be about Trump? And, no. The US is still our ally and we share one of the strongest bond’s in the world.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

If I was playing as Canada I'd put my hockey stick halberdiers in the front line, have the maple syrup catapults on the high ground, moose cavalry and mounties at the flanks while the Celine Dion chantress gives leadership buffs to my army, and the Justin Beiber banshee debuffs the enemy.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@mandzilla: But where would you put the Trailer Park Boys?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Sevenizz: Got to keep your elite units in reserve. ??

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Oh no a jokester making a bad joke, what will Canada do.

This is clearly not meant to be taken seriously.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

If Trudeau gets elected again, first order of business should be a near universal ban on single use plastics and plastic packaging. Also a disposal fee at the manufacturing level for any necessary plastics that are not easily replacable. Plastics are a curse, and so are fossil fuels but plastics are the worst thing that has happened to humans.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

He doesn't come of as the joking type.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

He once said he wanted to eat someone's liver. This guy is pretty crazy, unless you like crazy leaders...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

He doesn't come of as the joking type.

Watch the video and tell me anyone even at the meeting took that comment serious :)

But it´s kinda crazy that a country´s leader does it but considering who it is, it´s not really a surprise.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

In this instance Rodrigo Duterte is in the right. Canada should not use his country as a waste basket. Even a dictator can be right at least once.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Watch the video and tell me anyone even at the meeting took that comment serious :)

But it´s kinda crazy that a country´s leader does it but considering who it is, it´s not really a surprise.

I don't know if am blocked from viewing it, it has been removed, or I don't see it since some of the pages fails to load so I can't really comment on it.

@Megavideogamer said:

In this instance Rodrigo Duterte is in the right. Canada should not use his country as a waste basket. Even a dictator can be right at least once.

You're right. But it is something the company that has done this should fix, not the Canadian government. Unless laws have to change in Canada to prevent this from happening again.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

I'm a Filipino Btw. 99% politicians here are corrupt as f*ck.

Being a China sellout outweighed the goods President Duterte did (like giving public servants like teachers and police a higher salary grade and introducing another TelCo to the Philippines).

But I do understand why he did those things.

----

On topic. That's prob not a bluff. But I don't know how can we wage war when our military weapons are WW2 Era or Vietnam War era. That's not a joke. Because, you know, instead of buying brand new arms, they buy the old arms cheaply and refurbish it and pockets the change.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Canada is going to need permission from the Queen before they can defend their country.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Just what we need, another meaningless war to prove who's ego is bigger.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:

Being a China sellout outweighed the goods President Duterte did (like giving public servants like teachers and police a higher salary grade and introducing another TelCo to the Philippines).

----

On topic. That's prob not a bluff. But I don't know how can we wage war when our military weapons are WW2 Era or Vietnam War era. That's not a joke. Because, you know, instead of buying brand new arms, they buy the old arms cheaply and refurbish it and pockets the change.

Isn't it the same dude who basically told citizens to shoot anyone dealing drugs and they get a reward for it? He seems pretty hardcore. Not someone who would bluff willy nilly, especially if called out on it. Someone who likes to play with fire and burn bright.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts
@KungfuKitten said:
@anthonyautumns said:

----

Isn't it the same dude who basically told citizens to shoot anyone dealing drugs and they get a reward for it? He seems pretty hardcore. Not someone who would bluff willy nilly, especially if called out on it. Someone who likes to play with fire and burn bright.

Yeah. The same person.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Please, Canada, can you just assassinate the prick so we can be rid of him already?