Republicans want to end the state and local tax exemption for business.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

They're attempting to build support for the idea claiming that blue states receive most of the tax benefits from it, which is true simply because blue states are overwhelmingly more productive than red states, so it comes down to simple math. Problem is that red states get the exemption too. Every single business owner, whether it's a carpenter, a roofer, or a shop owners is allowed to lower their tax burden through this exemption. If you itemize deductions, you likely take advantage of this. People, families, and businesses with six figure incomes will bear 90% of the burden.

Do you itemize deductions and want to pay more taxes so that Jeff Bezos can get another tax cut?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/blue-state-republicans-ask-trump-to-keep-state-and-local-tax-deductions/article/2626430

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

Link?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Link? That's up to the state and locality. They can piss off is true.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl

@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm not sure what he's talking about yet. There is one individual exemption they're looking to get rid of that allows individuals to get a federal tax deduction in accordance with the state and local taxes they pay, but since that isn't specific to businesses (although it is applicable to small businesses classified as passthroughs - potentially others, but I'm not sure about that) I'm not sure if it's what he's referring to.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm not sure what he's talking about yet. There is one individual exemption they're looking to get rid of that allows individuals to get a federal tax deduction in accordance with the state and local taxes they pay, but since that isn't specific to businesses (although it is applicable to small businesses classified as passthroughs - potentially others, but I'm not sure about that) I'm not sure if it's what he's referring to.

Yes well I don't know what he is talking about his OP wasn't clear and there is no link. :p

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Of course they do, the most productive members of society (businesses, states, etc) are not Republican. Naturally, they want to do the most harm to Americans, especially their political foes, so this makes perfect sense.

Meanwhile, in the red states, nothing is being done productivity-wise, they're cashing welfare checks, reaping huge sums of money from the government for doing nothing...I bet you these specific things won't be touched :P All the growth in red states are from young, liberal groups; let's look at Texas, for example, it's all from a huge influx of techies, a new "silicon valley" (silicon prairie?!? heyoooo!) if you will. That's why Democrats are trying to get Texas to go blue in the next few years....good look with that lol

Anyway, all speculation until we get a link.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tjandmia

No one knows what it means without a link to a site saying the exact same thing? Lol.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl

@tjandmia: As we stated, we've heard about something similar, but not the same as what you describe. Regardless, it's good to have some kind of source up front so we all know we're talking about the same thing.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Problem I see here is that states can get increased revenue by offsetting the federal liability locally, blue states would certainly benefit as they contribute more to federal revenues than they receive, while red states contribute less and get more from the federal government. Problem I see is that the aid the federal government is already obligated to give to states, by legislation already passed, assume tax revenues as part of their budget, all that will have to be ammended. Red states would certainly come out of this hurting.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Hurting blue states more? Isn't that why red states votes the way it does already?

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

i mean..... is this news?

Theyve been wanting to do this and attempting it (to degree's) within certain states.... their whole premise of trickle down is this.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tjandmia

@kod said:

i mean..... is this news?

Theyve been wanting to do this and attempting it (to degree's) within certain states.... their whole premise of trickle down is this.

The federal exemptions are on the chopping block. Those apply to all states.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

This is awesome. Hope it happens!

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tjandmia

Ending the exemption means double taxation. Don't blue States already pay enough for poor red States? No need for double taxation to fund your welfare.