Republicans flee state, go into hiding to avoid climate bill

#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16070 posts) -

Oregon Democratic Gov. Kate Brown on Thursday authorized state police to locate Senate Republicans and bring them back to the state Capitol after some left the state to block the chamber's proceedings.

After more than eight hours of fruitless negotiations late into Wednesday night, Republican state senators in Oregon walked out of a session on Thursday over disagreements on HB 2020, a cap and trade climate bill.

All 11 GOP senators failed to appear later Thursday for floor proceedings, leaving the legislative body two senators short of a quorum, according to Kate Kondayen, a spokeswoman for Brown.

At least some of the senators have left the state, according to a statement from the Oregon Senate Republicans, and the wife of one of them says they are all in Idaho at an undisclosed location."They all left and are in Idaho. I don't have a way of contacting him," Peggie Boquist, wife of Oregon GOP Sen. Brian Boquist, told CNN when asked the location of her husband.

Brian Boquist met Brown's initial warning to lawmakers by telling TV station KGW: "Send bachelors and come heavily armed. I'm not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It's just that simple."

The Oregon State Police said in a statement to CNN on Thursday that it is complying with the governor's "lawful directive," and "utilizing established relationships to have polite communication" with the missing senators."While we obviously have many tools at our disposal, patience and communication is and always will be our first, and preferred, option," the police said.

A view of the Senate chamber in Oregon on Thursday revealed empty seats during roll call, as the senators were marked "absent." The absence prompted Brown to authorize a request from Senate Democrats to "bring back their colleagues to finish the work they committed to push forward for Oregonians." "As the executive of the agency, I am authorizing the State Police to fulfill the Senate Democrats' request," Brown's office said in a statement. "It is absolutely unacceptable that the Senate Republicans would turn their back on their constituents who they are honor-bound to represent here in this building. They need to return and do the jobs they were elected to do."

The state Senate Republicans said in a statement Thursday that they "made the decision to walkout and have left the state to protest cap and trade because it should be referred to the ballot so every Oregonian has a voice."

The passage and signing of HB 2020 would have Oregon join 11 other states that use market-based approaches to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The bill would place a "cap," or an overall limit on emissions, and then would provide a mechanism to sell fuel providers "emission allowances." State Republicans argue that the measure should be referred to a state ballot rather than voted on in the Legislature. "Protesting cap and trade by walking out today represents our constituency and exactly how we should be doing our job," Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger Jr. said in a statement Thursday. "We have endured threats of arrest, fines, and pulling community project funds from the Governor, Senate President and Majority Leader. We will not stand by and be bullied by the majority party any longer."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/politics/kate-brown-oregon-republican-senators-police-climate-change/index.html

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow. What a bunch of sore losers. Remember "elections have consequences"? Apparently, some don't agree.

Republicans, I mean.

#2 Posted by Zaryia (8982 posts) -

lmao wtf!? This is unreal. I bet you they are going to spin this as the Dems being facists or some BS.

#3 Edited by Master_Live (19552 posts) -

I remember a similar situation a few years back, senators/representatives fleeing so there wasn't a quorum, can't remember the topic that time.

Can Oregon police cross state lines to arrest the senators in Idaho or do they need to coordinate it with the Idaho police? Anyways, another shit show. At the end, if the voters are truly against they bill the will vote those who voted in favor, if not, they won't. Can't escape the voters jurisdiction.

#4 Posted by Horgen (120595 posts) -

I'm sure climate will catch up with them... Or their children.

#5 Edited by ronvalencia (28060 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

Oregon Democratic Gov. Kate Brown on Thursday authorized state police to locate Senate Republicans and bring them back to the state Capitol after some left the state to block the chamber's proceedings.

After more than eight hours of fruitless negotiations late into Wednesday night, Republican state senators in Oregon walked out of a session on Thursday over disagreements on HB 2020, a cap and trade climate bill.

All 11 GOP senators failed to appear later Thursday for floor proceedings, leaving the legislative body two senators short of a quorum, according to Kate Kondayen, a spokeswoman for Brown.

At least some of the senators have left the state, according to a statement from the Oregon Senate Republicans, and the wife of one of them says they are all in Idaho at an undisclosed location."They all left and are in Idaho. I don't have a way of contacting him," Peggie Boquist, wife of Oregon GOP Sen. Brian Boquist, told CNN when asked the location of her husband.

Brian Boquist met Brown's initial warning to lawmakers by telling TV station KGW: "Send bachelors and come heavily armed. I'm not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It's just that simple."

The Oregon State Police said in a statement to CNN on Thursday that it is complying with the governor's "lawful directive," and "utilizing established relationships to have polite communication" with the missing senators."While we obviously have many tools at our disposal, patience and communication is and always will be our first, and preferred, option," the police said.

A view of the Senate chamber in Oregon on Thursday revealed empty seats during roll call, as the senators were marked "absent." The absence prompted Brown to authorize a request from Senate Democrats to "bring back their colleagues to finish the work they committed to push forward for Oregonians." "As the executive of the agency, I am authorizing the State Police to fulfill the Senate Democrats' request," Brown's office said in a statement. "It is absolutely unacceptable that the Senate Republicans would turn their back on their constituents who they are honor-bound to represent here in this building. They need to return and do the jobs they were elected to do."

The state Senate Republicans said in a statement Thursday that they "made the decision to walkout and have left the state to protest cap and trade because it should be referred to the ballot so every Oregonian has a voice."

The passage and signing of HB 2020 would have Oregon join 11 other states that use market-based approaches to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The bill would place a "cap," or an overall limit on emissions, and then would provide a mechanism to sell fuel providers "emission allowances." State Republicans argue that the measure should be referred to a state ballot rather than voted on in the Legislature. "Protesting cap and trade by walking out today represents our constituency and exactly how we should be doing our job," Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger Jr. said in a statement Thursday. "We have endured threats of arrest, fines, and pulling community project funds from the Governor, Senate President and Majority Leader. We will not stand by and be bullied by the majority party any longer."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/politics/kate-brown-oregon-republican-senators-police-climate-change/index.html

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow. What a bunch of sore losers. Remember "elections have consequences"? Apparently, some don't agree.

Republicans, I mean.

It's a blocking move by exploiting quorum requirement. Hint: The left doesn't have a monopoly on "Resist!"

#6 Posted by comp_atkins (35737 posts) -

lol comical.

#7 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44044 posts) -

I'll be honest I kind of love both sides of this; I love how we have this protest mechanism in place in our political system, but I also love the governor being like "Time to get shit done, round 'em up".

Although I don't really like it taken to this extreme....

@br0kenrabbit said:

Is he really saying he is up for an armed standoff?!?!?!

#8 Posted by Serraph105 (33846 posts) -

The democrats should just do what the republicans would in this situation, hold the vote without the republicans, pass it, declare it legal, start working on it, and see if it holds up in court.

#9 Posted by mattbbpl (17206 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

The democrats should just do what the republicans would in this situation, hold the vote without the republicans, pass it, declare it legal, start working on it, and see if it holds up in court.

They can't, as they're two legislators short of a quorum. Most parliamentary bodies require a certain number of members to be present to conduct business.

#10 Posted by Serraph105 (33846 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:
@Serraph105 said:

They can't, as they're two legislators short of a quorum. Most parliamentary bodies require a certain number of members to be present to conduct business.

Yup, I'm suggesting that they ignore those rules and see what happens.

#11 Posted by mattbbpl (17206 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@mattbbpl said:
@Serraph105 said:

Ugh, it's obvious rereading it. Sorry, I'm tired, LOL.

#12 Posted by Serraph105 (33846 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:
@Serraph105 said:
@mattbbpl said:
@Serraph105 said:

Ugh, it's obvious rereading it. Sorry, I'm tired, LOL.

No worries man.

#13 Posted by joebones5000 (2342 posts) -

Republicans are truly disgusting people.

#14 Edited by Drunk_PI (2804 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Republicans, I mean.

It's a blocking move by exploiting quorum requirement. Hint: The left doesn't have a monopoly on "Resist!"

Excusing cowards for being cowards. Rich from Trumpettes.

#15 Posted by ronvalencia (28060 posts) -

@drunk_pi said:
@ronvalencia said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Republicans, I mean.

Excusing cowards for being cowards. Rich from Trumpettes.

It's tactics.

#16 Posted by ComeOnMan (194 posts) -

They learned this trick from Wisconsin democrats

Wis. Democrats Flee To Prevent Vote On Union Bill

Of course, I'm sure the consensus on this board will be, "Well, that's different. Democrat good. Republican BAD !!!!"

#17 Posted by Master_Live (19552 posts) -

@comeonman said:

Of course, I'm sure the consensus on this board will be, "Well, that's different. Democrat good. Republican BAD !!!!"

Ah, see, I remember it had happened (relatively) recently.

#18 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166586 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:

That is what should happen in a perfect world when they just refuse to do their jobs. Or they should be kicked out and a special election held.

#19 Posted by Zaryia (8982 posts) -
@comeonman said:

No i'm pretty sure it was stupid both times.

#20 Edited by Master_Live (19552 posts) -

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/oregon-climate-bill-dead-gop-senators-fled-state.html?via=recirc_recent

A landmark piece of climate change legislation that stalled after Republican senators fled to Idaho to avoid a roll call is likely dead, the top Democrat in the Oregon Senate said Tuesday. But despite the Republicans’ stunt, the Senate president said it was his own party that did not have the votes to pass the sweeping legislation. It appears Republicans high-tailing it to the hills with police in pursuit are more organized than Democrats who actually show up to work.

“What I’m about to say, I say of my own free will. No one has told me to say this,” said Democratic Oregon Senate President and possible hostage Peter Courtney, according to Oregon Public Broadcasting. “House Bill 2020 does not have the votes on the Senate floor. That will not change.” Gov. Kate Brown, who last week ordered state police to track down missing Republicans, also conceded Tuesday that the legislation was dead, but she blamed Republicans for blocking a bill “that provides a better future for our state and for our children, and the tactics they employed to do so are not just unacceptable, but dangerous.”

It’s not clear whether Courtney’s declaration is enough to get the fugitive Republicans to come back to work after their six-day walkout. The governor asked Republicans to return to the state capitol by Wednesday. But the GOP senators appear to be questioning whether the bill’s death was faked.

And that's that.

#21 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10760 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/oregon-climate-bill-dead-gop-senators-fled-state.html?via=recirc_recent

A landmark piece of climate change legislation that stalled after Republican senators fled to Idaho to avoid a roll call is likely dead, the top Democrat in the Oregon Senate said Tuesday. But despite the Republicans’ stunt, the Senate president said it was his own party that did not have the votes to pass the sweeping legislation. It appears Republicans high-tailing it to the hills with police in pursuit are more organized than Democrats who actually show up to work.

“What I’m about to say, I say of my own free will. No one has told me to say this,” said Democratic Oregon Senate President and possible hostage Peter Courtney, according to Oregon Public Broadcasting. “House Bill 2020 does not have the votes on the Senate floor. That will not change.” Gov. Kate Brown, who last week ordered state police to track down missing Republicans, also conceded Tuesday that the legislation was dead, but she blamed Republicans for blocking a bill “that provides a better future for our state and for our children, and the tactics they employed to do so are not just unacceptable, but dangerous.”

It’s not clear whether Courtney’s declaration is enough to get the fugitive Republicans to come back to work after their six-day walkout. The governor asked Republicans to return to the state capitol by Wednesday. But the GOP senators appear to be questioning whether the bill’s death was faked.

And that's that.

Her own party can't make the votes then? Did they specify who? That would be hilarious if this was a bait and switch to get to them show up lol.

#22 Posted by Master_Live (19552 posts) -

Yeah, I think the legislative session ends at the of June so just to be safe they should stay away till then.

#23 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10760 posts) -

Looking into this a bit more it seems that tactics like this have been used in the past, even by democrats. I'm not too privy to quorum rules but I'd think that there has to be some work around to having the ability to jump state and not show up. Are senators required to be there for certain votes or a number of votes/year? It seems insane to me that legislators can just not show up to disrupt politics in this fasion.

#24 Posted by Rockman999 (7508 posts) -

If I was one of their constituents, I would be loading my rifle and getting my dog ready to go on a hunt.

Thankfully most of NY's political trash resides upstate so their incompetence really isn't my problem.

#25 Edited by jeezers (3013 posts) -

@Rockman999: so you want war over this stupid vote lol

#26 Edited by Serraph105 (33846 posts) -

@jeezers said:

Hunting someone down and bringing them back to do their job is "war"?

#27 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18981 posts) -

I seriously wish we had 2 identical Earths and all the people who choose to ignore climate change (like these Republicans) can stay on one planet and keep burning fossil fuels like we are now, and the other planet can be inhabited by people who acknowledge it and want to act on it... then we can see who ends up better off in 50-100 years.

#28 Posted by jeezers (3013 posts) -

@Serraph105: "hunting people down" lol

#29 Posted by ad1x2 (7563 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@jeezers said:

I’m sure you would have the same attitude if a Republican said the same thing about forcing Democratic lawmakers to vote on an pro-immigration enforcement bill...

#30 Posted by Serraph105 (33846 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:
@Serraph105 said:
@jeezers said:

I’m sure you would have the same attitude if a Republican said the same thing about forcing Democratic lawmakers to vote on an pro-immigration enforcement bill...

It wouldn't be war.......the hell do you think war is?

#31 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (10760 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@ad1x2 said:
@Serraph105 said:
@jeezers said:

I'd tell either side to man the hell up. They don't have control of their legislature and the people have spoken. Use the vote against them next election.

Nothing but a bunch of cry babies.

#32 Posted by ad1x2 (7563 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@ad1x2 said:
@Serraph105 said:
@jeezers said:

We’re not talking about literal war here (been there, done that), but I’m sure that people cheering on the police arresting GOP lawmakers over this climate bill would be outraged if a Republican governor made a similar order to go after Democratic lawmakers refusing to vote on an immigration enforcement bill and wouldn’t accept them just forcing the lawmakers to “do their job.”

#33 Posted by jeezers (3013 posts) -

@ad1x2: yeah I diddnt mean this would cause a literal war, im saying the rhetoric being used, "bring the loaded rifles and hunt them down with dogs" is over the top, and war like. I was being more sarcastic than anything in response to the rifle dog hunt them down comment lol