deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@narutosup: and what difference does that make? Being related to Asians doesn't validate everything you do.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

Good

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@narutosup: and what difference does that make? Being related to Asians doesn't validate everything you do.

i think he's doing this for his granddaughters because 4 of them aren't white passing enough to take advantage of AA. should he just stand back and let AA screw his granddaughters future because they look asian?

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

Striving for the best person in terms of education, language, drive, etc.., seems appropriate.

This sentiment purveys this thread. Ideally this sentiment is true. My position however is that the President cannot just sue institutions that are enforcing U.S. law.

He is the President of the UNITED STATES suing institutions for practicing laws passed in the UNITED STATES. What are you going to sue them for? Following the law?

Trump is essentially suing against the very entity(i.e. the USA) he was elected to lead. What President has ever done that in history? If you are the President you have an obligation to either uphold a law or abolish/repeal a law if you feel it is wrong. Not to sue because you don't like it.

The fact that anyone in this thread can support such an irresponsible action(if true) just because it would erase a law/policy they don't agree with is disturbing.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 sayyy-gaa

@narutosup said:

Asian-American students sues harvard over affirmative-action.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/affirmative-action-battle-has-a-new-focus-asian-americans.html

"Mr. Jia believes he should have had a fair shot at Harvard, Princeton, Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania. Those Ivy League colleges rejected him after he applied in the fall of 2015.

It was particularly disturbing, Mr. Jia said, when classmates with lower scores than his — but who were not Asian-American, like him — were admitted to those Ivy League institutions.

“My gut reaction was that I was super disillusioned by how the whole system was set up,” Mr. Jia, 19, said.

Students like Mr. Jia are now the subject of a lawsuit accusing Harvard of discriminating against Asian-Americans in admissions by imposing a penalty for their high achievement and giving preferences to other racial minorities."

How is this remotely related to the President allegedly ordering the Justice Department to sue institutions for enforcing Affirmative Action?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@sayyy-gaa Disturbing is how we have an entity condemning racism and discrimination on one hand yet on the other hand openly promotes it and fuels it on a minute by minute basis. Everyone, in some form or another, falls victim to these practices.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Trump's remarks of the last few days really puts these actions into context don't they?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Trump's remarks of the last few days really puts these actions into context don't they?

No

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 sayyy-gaa

@Solaryellow said:

@sayyy-gaa Disturbing is how we have an entity condemning racism and discrimination on one hand yet on the other hand openly promotes it and fuels it on a minute by minute basis. Everyone, in some form or another, falls victim to these practices.

Dude you are belaboring a point I have conceded. Discrimination is wrong. We all get it. Now...Assuming the New York Times article cited by the TC is true, do you agree that President Trump (not attorney Trump or private citizen Trump...PRESIDENT Trump)is making the right decision regarding Affirmative Action or not?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

@sayyy-gaa said:
@narutosup said:

Asian-American students sues harvard over affirmative-action.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/us/affirmative-action-battle-has-a-new-focus-asian-americans.html

"Mr. Jia believes he should have had a fair shot at Harvard, Princeton, Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania. Those Ivy League colleges rejected him after he applied in the fall of 2015.

It was particularly disturbing, Mr. Jia said, when classmates with lower scores than his — but who were not Asian-American, like him — were admitted to those Ivy League institutions.

“My gut reaction was that I was super disillusioned by how the whole system was set up,” Mr. Jia, 19, said.

Students like Mr. Jia are now the subject of a lawsuit accusing Harvard of discriminating against Asian-Americans in admissions by imposing a penalty for their high achievement and giving preferences to other racial minorities."

How is this remotely related to the President allegedly ordering the Justice Department to sue institutions for enforcing Affirmative Action?

to show that he's not the only one going after affirmative action

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Solaryellow

@sayyy-gaa said:
@Solaryellow said:

Dude you are belaboring a point I have conceded. Discrimination is wrong. We all get it. Now...Assuming the New York Times article cited by the TC is true, do you agree that President Trump (not attorney Trump or private citizen Trump...PRESIDENT Trump)is making the right decision regarding Affirmative Action or not?

Trump should do everything possible to end affirmative action and any discriminatory policy and yes, laws. Hold everyone to useful criteria when it comes to filling positions at universities, government jobs, etc..,

What I do know is how anything he does will be met by opposition from the left though.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 sayyy-gaa

@Solaryellow said:
@sayyy-gaa said:
@Solaryellow said:

Trump should do everything possible to end affirmative action and any discriminatory policy and yes, laws. Hold everyone to useful criteria when it comes to filling positions at universities, government jobs, etc..,

What I do know is how anything he does will be met by opposition from the left though.

Trump should sue universities for obeying(not breaking) the law? Remove your own political agenda for a moment and think about what you are saying.

I'm not saying Trump shouldn't go after AA. I'm saying the President of the USA shouldn't bring forth lawsuits regarding legislation he doesn't like. There are several other ways for him to work towards abolishing AA besides lawsuits from the Oval Office.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Solaryellow

@sayyy-gaa said:

Trump should sue universities for obeying(not breaking) the law? Remove your own political agenda for a moment and think about what you are saying.

I'm not saying Trump shouldn't go after AA. I'm saying the President of the USA shouldn't bring forth lawsuits regarding legislation he doesn't like. There are several other ways for him to work towards abolishing AA besides lawsuits from the Oval Office.

Trump ordering the DOJ to look into whether or not suits can be filed is not a new practice for a President but I doubt many had the guts to rock the boat with a subject of this nature. If he can sue and win, thats on him and Sessions. If not, change the laws but I doubt Congress has the mettle and integrity to tackle it.