Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Politico

The plot thickens. Obviously, she has a beef with some of the things President Obama did when he was in office, but it may not be to her benefit to compare him to President Trump only hours after she was heavily defended from her remarks about Israel.

Thoughts?

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

Obama was the president that started global double taps....which means using drones on local leaders to kill them using one on the local leader and another drone on anyone that came to save them aka their ambulance.

And these were local leaders not part of isia or the Taliban.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

She's not wrong that Obama was similar to Bush in a lot of areas, foreign policy included. He's gotten a lot of flack for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

She makes a valid point.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

She is not wrong.

Trump is just a more coarse warmonger than his predecessors. So far, he has only added one country to the list that are being droned.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Okay, she's annoying the hell out of me. Not saying Obama was perfect, but hot off of pissing people off for her Israel comments (which isn't wrong to be fair), she seems to be riding off controversy now.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

She's not wrong that Obama was similar to Bush in a lot of areas, foreign policy included. He's gotten a lot of flack for it.

This is pretty much it. He was far more centrist than most on the right would admit to.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

Not going to disagree with her or anything, but I am going to say something that I am probably going to regret: a lot of women are getting a little carried away with the whole "strong/assertive/outspoken female" thing and forgetting to just be good people first.

There is a way to respectfully criticize your peers and you don't have to, frankly, be nasty about it.

And let's be pragmatic here: Obama and Omar are a.) both democrats, b.) both people of color, c.) both have Muslim-sounding names...it's going to be impossible to distance one's self from those similarities, so you might as well talk about how awesome this guy is instead of saying how terrible he is.

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:

This is pretty much it. He was far more centrist than most on the right would admit to.

I think in ten or more years we are going to realize Obama was not as great as we think he was. The Democratic version of Reagan; deified by the masses, but ultimately harmful.

Or maybe not; I mean, he had eight pretty good years between a devastating Bush and a [thus far] do-nothing Trump administration

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

interesting times we live in..2020 election gonna be crazy I think

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Obama's biggest fault was it was more of the same in the middle East.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25: I think Obama may end up representing the peak of the triangulation era Democrat administrations- generally to the right of Clinton, but still to the left of W and now Trump. It seems like those days are numbered, though, if not over already. We'll see how the party changes moving forward.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@mrbojangles25: I think Obama may end up representing the peak of the triangulation era Democrat administrations- generally to the right of Clinton, but still to the left of W and now Trump. It seems like those days are numbered, though, if not over already. We'll see how the party changes moving forward.

It's kind of sad,because I think the country itself prefers moderates, but each parties primaries seem to push their candidates far to the right or left.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl

@sonicare: Both D's and RS have been tracking right for a while now. I don't buy into the notion that a moderate is between the two major parties regardless of where those parties stand.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@sonicare said:
@mattbbpl said:

It's kind of sad,because I think the country itself prefers moderates, but each parties primaries seem to push their candidates far to the right or left.

It is sad and I agree the country prefers moderates, though as @mattbbpl pointed out the democratic presidents we elect tend to be more moderate/right. Honestly Trump seems like the only "extreme" we've elected to office for a very, very long time. And people feel forced to choose something because that's the kind of politician that has been advertised....a right or a left. No middles.

But yeah a lot of the elected officials in recent years have been leaning a little far left, and definitely in the past few months.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:

I think in ten or more years we are going to realize Obama was not as great as we think he was. The Democratic version of Reagan; deified by the masses, but ultimately harmful.

I don't think so. His legacy will ultimately be viewed in the context of having road block after road block put in his place by the GOP, meaning that his actions were one of pragmatism rather than idealism. He did the best he could (for the mos part) with an opposition party that made it their mission to stop him no matter what. But if we're talking foreign policy only, then I would agree to a certain extent.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

She's referring to foreign policy, not domestic policy. Obama's foreign policy has been stained by the drone policy, but most of these decisions were coming from the warmongering Republicans who held the real power. And even then, the Obama era doesn't come close to the Trump era in terms of warmongering:

US air wars under Trump: increasingly indiscriminate, increasingly opaque

There have been more than 10,000 coalition airstrikes in Syria and Iraq since Trump became president

The U.S. Never Dropped As Many Bombs On Afghanistan As It Did In 2018

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

Pretty sure this ....woman.... would love it if Barrack Hussein had been "droning" jews. My guess is she considers Obama a traitor to the muslim faith, to which she has a greater loyalty than she does to the USA.

It will be interesting to see how she is treated now that she has blasphemed against Saint Barry

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ad1x2
@mrbojangles25 said:

Not going to disagree with her or anything, but I am going to say something that I am probably going to regret: a lot of women are getting a little carried away with the whole "strong/assertive/outspoken female" thing and forgetting to just be good people first.

There is a way to respectfully criticize your peers and you don't have to, frankly, be nasty about it.

And let's be pragmatic here: Obama and Omar are a.) both democrats, b.) both people of color, c.) both have Muslim-sounding names...it's going to be impossible to distance one's self from those similarities, so you might as well talk about how awesome this guy is instead of saying how terrible he is.

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:

Or maybe not; I mean, he had eight pretty good years between a devastating Bush and a [thus far] do-nothing Trump administration

The big issue with Omar's statements isn't whether or not she is right or wrong, but the Democratic Party is trying to convince the deciding voters (independents and Republicans that may not be all in with Trump) that everything will be better when a Democrat is back in the White House. While there are tens of millions of people out there that would vote for a potato if it was the Democratic nominee because they hate Trump that much, their votes alone aren't going to be enough to win the election.

Civil war in the party is not going to make getting those other votes easy, especially when a sitting representative that has so far been extremely popular among Democrats is saying that the most recent Democrat to sit in the White House isn't much better than the Republican sitting in there right now. Calling out Obama for having kids in cages isn't helping with the narrative that Trump is the only one to do it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl

@ad1x2: I agree that such dissension makes for poor election cycle politics, but I'm skeptical that's where your concern lies.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Democrats aren't as cultish, they aren't afraid to completely criticize each other.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@ad1x2: Omar is wrong on so many levels.

As bad as Obama was I would truly fear for America if anyone with her ideas and policies was ever to get a foothold in any position with legitimate power.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ad1x2
@mattbbpl said:

@ad1x2: I agree that such dissension makes for poor election cycle politics, but I'm skeptical that's where your concern lies.

I'm still willing to listen to the Democratic nominees for 2020 to see if they give me a reason to go blue. I haven't completely wrote them off, although I'm unimpressed so far and the one I would consider voting for if I didn't vote for Trump (Tulsi Gabbard) probably has no chance to make it out of the primaries.

Still, there's nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious. I have family members that swear Obama is the best president ever for reasons I don't have to mention but I'm sure you can guess why they think that, and while I haven't seen them mention Omar's comments on social media I'm interested to see how people here thought about it.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

I thought that was whataboutism.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I love her. We need more.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16564 Posts

Trump pros: pulled us out of wars, lead to the biggest push for green energy support in US history through public backlash. Prison reform. Strong on the wall

Trump cons: give away more subsidies, protections and tax cuts to the rich and continuing the communist legacy

Obama pros: ….???

Obama cons: Gave away tax cuts to the rich, protections, taxcuts. He pulled us into more wars. Climate change policies didn't do much, a big time farce. No wall, just hardcore deportations.

Obama is a bigger joke than trump sad to say it, the only thing good he had going for him was good looks and a photogenic family. If the dem nomination is another mainstream corporate HACK, then id be happier with rooting for trump#2020

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

28 Of Barack Obama’s Greatest Achievements As President Of The United States

1 – Rescued the country from the Great Recession, cutting the unemployment rate from 10% to 4.7% over six years

2 – Signed the Affordable Care Act which provided health insurance to over 20 million uninsured Americans

3 – Ended the war in Iraq

4 – Ordered for the capture and killing of Osama Bin Laden

5 – Passed the $787 billion America Recovery and Reinvestment Act to spur economic growth during the Great Recession

6 – Supported the LGBT community’s fight for marriage equality

7 – Commuted the sentences of nearly 1200 drug offenders to reverse “unjust and outdated prison sentences”

8 – Saved the U.S. auto industry

9 – Helped put the U.S. ontrack for energy independence by 2020

10 – Began the drawdown of troops in Afghanistan

11 – Signed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals allowing as many as 5 million people living in the U.S. illegally to avoid deportation and receive work permits

12 – Signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to re-regulate the financial sector

13 – Dropped the veteran homeless rate by 50 percent

14 – Reversed Bush-era torture policies

15 – Began the process of normalizing relations with Cuba

16 – Increased Department of Veteran Affairs funding

17 – Signed the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure Act

18 – Boosted fuel efficiency standards for cars

19 – Improved school nutrition with the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act

20 – Repealed the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy

21 – Signed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, making it a federal crime to assault anyone based on sexual or gender identification

22 – Helped negotiate the landmark Iran Nuclear Deal

23 – He signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to combat pay discrimination against women

24 – Nominated Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, making her the first Hispanic ever to serve as a justice

25 – Supported veterans through a $78 billion tuition assistance GI bill

26 – Won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples”

27 – Launched My Brother’s Keeper, a White House initiative designed to help young minorities achieve their full potential

28 – Expanded embryonic stem cell research leading to groundbreaking work in areas including spinal injury treatment and cancer

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16564 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

28 Of Barack Obama’s Greatest Achievements As President Of The United States

1 – Rescued the country from the Great Recession, cutting the unemployment rate from 10% to 4.7% over six years

2 – Signed the Affordable Care Act which provided health insurance to over 20 million uninsured Americans

3 – Ended the war in Iraq

4 – Ordered for the capture and killing of Osama Bin Laden

5 – Passed the $787 billion America Recovery and Reinvestment Act to spur economic growth during the Great Recession

6 – Supported the LGBT community’s fight for marriage equality

7 – Commuted the sentences of nearly 1200 drug offenders to reverse “unjust and outdated prison sentences”

8 – Saved the U.S. auto industry

9 – Helped put the U.S. ontrack for energy independence by 2020

10 – Began the drawdown of troops in Afghanistan

11 – Signed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals allowing as many as 5 million people living in the U.S. illegally to avoid deportation and receive work permits

12 – Signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to re-regulate the financial sector

13 – Dropped the veteran homeless rate by 50 percent

14 – Reversed Bush-era torture policies

15 – Began the process of normalizing relations with Cuba

16 – Increased Department of Veteran Affairs funding

17 – Signed the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility, and Disclosure Act

18 – Boosted fuel efficiency standards for cars

19 – Improved school nutrition with the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act

20 – Repealed the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy

21 – Signed the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, making it a federal crime to assault anyone based on sexual or gender identification

22 – Helped negotiate the landmark Iran Nuclear Deal

23 – He signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to combat pay discrimination against women

24 – Nominated Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, making her the first Hispanic ever to serve as a justice

25 – Supported veterans through a $78 billion tuition assistance GI bill

26 – Won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples”

27 – Launched My Brother’s Keeper, a White House initiative designed to help young minorities achieve their full potential

28 – Expanded embryonic stem cell research leading to groundbreaking work in areas including spinal injury treatment and cancer

lol, copy paste list is a damn joke. I don't agree with republicans/conservatives all that much but they are right about Obama spending $10 trillion without thinking all that hard. He should have let the auto manufacturers fail and let someone else pick up the pieces. I'd disagree with probably 80% of that list, #26 would be good for a comedian routine.

The economy would have fixed itself if Obama let it happen.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Trump pros: pulled us out of wars, lead to the biggest push for green energy support in US history through public backlash. Prison reform. Strong on the wall

Trump cons: give away more subsidies, protections and tax cuts to the rich and continuing the communist legacy

Obama cons: Gave away tax cuts to the rich, protections, taxcuts. He pulled us into more wars. Climate change policies didn't do much, a big time farce. No wall, just hardcore deportations.

Obama is a bigger joke than trump sad to say it, the only thing good he had going for him was good looks and a photogenic family. If the dem nomination is another mainstream corporate HACK, then id be happier with rooting for trump#2020

Whataboutism? Troops are still overseas. Credit for public backlash..........seriously? Prison reform was Congressional. He just signed it. Did not instigate it. Wall is a huge mistake.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mattbbpl

@blaznwiipspman1: "The economy would have fixed itself if Obama let it happen.

History indicates otherwise. Repeatedly.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Whataboutism? Troops are still overseas. Credit for public backlash..........seriously? Prison reform was Congressional. He just signed it. Did not instigate it. Wall is a huge mistake.

"That President Donald Trump, who touts himself as tough on crime, embraced the bill was reportedly a major factor in currying support among Republican senators. “This will keep our communities safer, and provide hope and a second chance to those who earn it. In addition to everything else, billions of dollars will be saved,” Trump tweeted on Tuesday night. “I look forward to signing this into law!”"

I dont like Trump, but he had a positive influence in pushing for this.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/mbywkb/heres-what-the-prison-reform-bill-actually-does-and-doesnt-do

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ad1x2

It appears that in an attempt to clarify her statments, she told a Fox News reporter confronting her in the hallway that between Presidents Obama and Trump, only one of them is human.

Maybe she didn't anticipate the backlash she would get from criticizing Obama and this is another attempt to walk back on it. She already deleted a tweet that claims Politico twisted her words with an audio attached that confirmed what she said.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@zaryia: Riiight because it's not like Republicans haven't bashed Trump repeatedly.