President Trump: Some Serving in the U.S. Congress 'Hate Our Country'

Avatar image for qx0d
#1 Posted by qx0d (333 posts) -

http://time.com/5542399/trump-immigrants-congress-hate-country/

President Donald Trump said that certain members of Congress “hate” the United States during a two-hour speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference on Saturday.

Trump spoke about immigration at length during his free-wheeling, off-the-cuff speech. He said that he would be in favor of people migrating to the United States, so long as they comply with immigration laws and are selected by merit.

He added that immigrants should also “be people that can love our country, not hate our country.”

“We have people in Congress, right now we have people in Congress, that hate our country,” the President said. It’s unclear if he meant specifically immigrants serving in Congress.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#2 Edited by Mandzilla (4085 posts) -

Jeez, let's hope we don't see any pipe bombs mailed again.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#3 Edited by Sevenizz (3846 posts) -

@qx0d: Very agreeable speech. Many immigrants move to the US refusing to integrate or assimilate and bring their backwards customs and religions with them that are incompatible with the US constitution - the bedrock of American society. Also, capitalism is a belief every elected official should embrace and promote. Socialism is anti capitalism and never works.

Great job again Trump!

Avatar image for mandzilla
#4 Posted by Mandzilla (4085 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Lol.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#5 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166488 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Comedy right?

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#6 Posted by Sevenizz (3846 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: The only comedy is ignorant and unpatriotic Americans who don’t know why or how they live in the greatest country in the world.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#7 Posted by Mandzilla (4085 posts) -

Avatar image for plageus900
#8 Posted by plageus900 (2698 posts) -

@Sevenizz: You know what's backwards? Hillbilly Republicans and their Christian hypocrisy.

Avatar image for HoolaHoopMan
#9 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10687 posts) -

I can only assume he's referring to Mitch McConnell given his track record over the last decade.

Avatar image for vfighter
#10 Posted by VFighter (4917 posts) -

I mean hate Trump or not he's 100% right with that quote.

Avatar image for zaryia
#11 Edited by Zaryia (8632 posts) -
@vfighter said:

I mean hate Trump or not he's 100% right with that quote.

Can you offer proof of this wild claim? Because I'm sure whatever you can give will likely not be as bad as the things Trump himself has said.

Avatar image for dreman999
#12 Posted by dreman999 (11514 posts) -

@Sevenizz: oh dude. That is nothing but b's and you need to stop pushong haye on otjer people.

Avatar image for dreman999
#13 Posted by dreman999 (11514 posts) -

@Sevenizz: it started with immigration and the new comers taking land from the people who lived here before.....

Avatar image for judaspete
#14 Posted by judaspete (2969 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

I can only assume he's referring to Mitch McConnell given his track record over the last decade.

Hey, that man is fighting tooth and nail for freedom... for lobbyists to spend as much money as they want buying politicians.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#15 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43981 posts) -

I won't deny there are some pretty shitty people in congress, but I genuinely think they all love America, or at least got into the job because of their love for America and desire to serve.

Now, some might love in questionable ways, and some may have lost their way and now serve themselves instead of their country...but I daresay none of them hate their country.

@Sevenizz said:

@LJS9502_basic: The only comedy is ignorant and unpatriotic Americans who don’t know why or how they live in the greatest country in the world.

Aren't you Canadian? Not saying you can't comment on US politics, just wondering how you know this is the greatest country in the world?

Also, the reason we are the greatest country in the world is because we are constantly questioning and criticizing certain parts of our system, and trying the improve. You don't stay #1 by simply saying "We're number 1!"; you stay number one by realizing you're never #1 for long and working to improve upon your old records.

@Sevenizz said:

@qx0d: Very agreeable speech. Many immigrants move to the US refusing to integrate or assimilate and bring their backwards customs and religions with them that are incompatible with the US constitution - the bedrock of American society. Also, capitalism is a belief every elected official should embrace and promote. Socialism is anti capitalism and never works.

Great job again Trump!

How can you call divisive speech like that "agreeable"?

As for assimilation/integration, to what extent? I feel that immigrants need some sort of assimilation, but they shouldn't have to forego all their traditions and customs. Jews still celebrate their holiday, Christians get theirs, Muslims and so on.

Socialism and capitalism are not mutually exclusive; in fact, I would argue a blend of both are needed in order to keep one another in check. That way we get the best of both worlds why cancelling out the negatives each one has to offer.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#16 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43981 posts) -

@qx0d said:

http://time.com/5542399/trump-immigrants-congress-hate-country/

President Donald Trump said that certain members of Congress “hate” the United States during a two-hour speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference on Saturday.

Trump spoke about immigration at length during his free-wheeling, off-the-cuff speech. He said that he would be in favor of people migrating to the United States, so long as they comply with immigration laws and are selected by merit.

He added that immigrants should also “be people that can love our country, not hate our country.”

“We have people in Congress, right now we have people in Congress, that hate our country,” the President said. It’s unclear if he meant specifically immigrants serving in Congress.

It's pretty terrible he is saying this days after a GOP conservative group showed a hateful poster of Ilhan Omar below

It is important to note that A.) this was made by a hate group officially supported by the GOP, and B.) no Republicans have condemned it.

Congress is not full of hateful people, but the office of the POTUS sure is...

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#17 Posted by Jacanuk (18494 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@qx0d said:

http://time.com/5542399/trump-immigrants-congress-hate-country/

President Donald Trump said that certain members of Congress “hate” the United States during a two-hour speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference on Saturday.

Trump spoke about immigration at length during his free-wheeling, off-the-cuff speech. He said that he would be in favor of people migrating to the United States, so long as they comply with immigration laws and are selected by merit.

He added that immigrants should also “be people that can love our country, not hate our country.”

“We have people in Congress, right now we have people in Congress, that hate our country,” the President said. It’s unclear if he meant specifically immigrants serving in Congress.

It's pretty terrible he is saying this days after a GOP conservative group showed a hateful poster of Ilhan Omar below

It is important to note that A.) this was made by a hate group officially supported by the GOP, and B.) no Republicans have condemned it.

Congress is not full of hateful people, but the office of the POTUS sure is...

So how do you feel about Omar´s and other Democrats hateful anti-semitic remarks and wish that Isreal stops existing? Not forgetting the support she has shown Hamas and the anti-semitic bills she is among others trying to get passed?

Also, why are you omitting those facts and making it like there is not a reason for that poster and it ´s just about "hate" from Republicans? Didn´t you and Matt say in another thread that when they go low, you go lower? so what is the problem here with the Republicans hitting back against antisemitism?

Avatar image for mattbbpl
#18 Posted by mattbbpl (17137 posts) -

@Jacanuk: "Didn´t you and Matt say in another thread that when they go low, you go lower?"

Not quite. I said that Republicans keep going lower and expecting Democrats to go high. It's time Democrats play to the level of their opponents.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#19 Posted by Jacanuk (18494 posts) -
@mattbbpl said:

@Jacanuk: "Didn´t you and Matt say in another thread that when they go low, you go lower?"

Not quite. I said that Republicans keep going lower and expecting Democrats to go high. It's time Democrats play to the level of their opponents.

Ok, well then you can´t expect when the Democrats play that kind of game (btw the Destroy Israel and Islam tweet from Omar, was in 2013 long before Trump) that the Republicans don´t play with the same cards.

Avatar image for shellcase86
#20 Posted by shellcase86 (4403 posts) -

Sometimes these politicians sound Sith-ish. If you're not with me, you're against me.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#21 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43981 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@qx0d said:

http://time.com/5542399/trump-immigrants-congress-hate-country/

President Donald Trump said that certain members of Congress “hate” the United States during a two-hour speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference on Saturday.

Trump spoke about immigration at length during his free-wheeling, off-the-cuff speech. He said that he would be in favor of people migrating to the United States, so long as they comply with immigration laws and are selected by merit.

He added that immigrants should also “be people that can love our country, not hate our country.”

“We have people in Congress, right now we have people in Congress, that hate our country,” the President said. It’s unclear if he meant specifically immigrants serving in Congress.

It's pretty terrible he is saying this days after a GOP conservative group showed a hateful poster of Ilhan Omar below

It is important to note that A.) this was made by a hate group officially supported by the GOP, and B.) no Republicans have condemned it.

Congress is not full of hateful people, but the office of the POTUS sure is...

So how do you feel about Omar´s and other Democrats hateful anti-semitic remarks and wish that Isreal stops existing? Not forgetting the support she has shown Hamas and the anti-semitic bills she is among others trying to get passed?

Also, why are you omitting those facts and making it like there is not a reason for that poster and it ´s just about "hate" from Republicans? Didn´t you and Matt say in another thread that when they go low, you go lower? so what is the problem here with the Republicans hitting back against antisemitism?

Anti-Israel and anti-semitism are two very different things. Although pro-Israel groups love love LOVE to assume they are the same.

Wishing for Israel to be gone so there can be peace in that area does not mean you wish Jews were gone, too; if that were the case, I think they'd say how they wished Jews didn't exist. Fun fact: there are actually Jews that wish Israel did not exist.

I think that's a lack of context a lot of people are too quick to jump on.

With that said, I don't see A.) how that poster is hitting back at anti-semitism (if that were even a thing she did), and B.) I don't recall saying to "go lower" but if I did, well, that's too low. The woman is already getting death threats in her home town as it is...

Avatar image for Baconstrip78
#22 Edited by Baconstrip78 (1380 posts) -

@Jacanuk: What does not liking Israel have to do with America? Why do you feel to be committed to one you must be committed to both? Which country are you a citizen of?

I’m not anti-Semitic but in the grand scheme of things our alliance with Israel is costing us more than it’s worth. How did it become unpatriotic as an american to not give a shit what happens to Israel?

Avatar image for mattbbpl
#23 Edited by mattbbpl (17137 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

I can only assume he's referring to Mitch McConnell given his track record over the last decade.

I mean, kinda? I'm sure he doesn't hate the country, but looking at the GOP's economic policies over the last two administrations it's hard to escape the conclusion that they either don't mind harming the country for their own ends or they're economic illiterates who believe whatever economic policy benefits them most politically at any given moment.

Avatar image for Icarian
#24 Posted by Icarian (1862 posts) -
@Sevenizz said:

@qx0d: Very agreeable speech. Many immigrants move to the US refusing to integrate or assimilate and bring their backwards customs and religions with them that are incompatible with the US constitution - the bedrock of American society. Also, capitalism is a belief every elected official should embrace and promote. Socialism is anti capitalism and never works.

Great job again Trump!

Capitalism doesn't work either. That's why you've socialism in your country as well, like social security. Every civilized country is a mix of capitalism and socialism.

Avatar image for THUMPTABLE
#25 Posted by THUMPTABLE (2087 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

@LJS9502_basic: The only comedy is ignorant and unpatriotic Americans who don’t know why or how they live in the greatest country in the world.

Greatest country in the world...
C'mon now I know your just taking the piss!

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#26 Posted by Sevenizz (3846 posts) -

@THUMPTABLE: *you’re

Name a better one?

Avatar image for THUMPTABLE
#27 Posted by THUMPTABLE (2087 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: How is the US the greatest country in the world??

Avatar image for THUMPTABLE
#28 Edited by THUMPTABLE (2087 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Canada...

And probably every other first world country...
Good place to visit, maybe not to live there.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#29 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43981 posts) -

@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrbojangles25: How is the US the greatest country in the world??

Just my opinion. I'm quite fond of it, but then again I live in California and I know the rest of the country is not as great. Well, maybe Oregon, Washington, and Colorado are.

Avatar image for THUMPTABLE
#30 Edited by THUMPTABLE (2087 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrbojangles25: How is the US the greatest country in the world??

Just my opinion. I'm quite fond of it, but then again I live in California and I know the rest of the country is not as great. Well, maybe Oregon, Washington, and Colorado are.

Been to many other countries?
The US being advanced in some things but so backward in others.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#31 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43981 posts) -

@THUMPTABLE said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrbojangles25: How is the US the greatest country in the world??

Just my opinion. I'm quite fond of it, but then again I live in California and I know the rest of the country is not as great. Well, maybe Oregon, Washington, and Colorado are.

Been to many other countries?

The US being advanced in some things but so backward in others.

Vietnam, Japan, Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, Italy, Cambodia, Thailand, Spain...I think there are a few others in there, too.

Actually the US is the one country I feel I need to see more of, if anything. Outside of visiting relatives in South Carolina and one or two trips to Oregon, I haven't seen much of my own country.

Anyway, it sounds like you have quite a bit of resentment lol. Sorry if I offended, you shouldn't take anyone serious (and therefore, should not be offended) when they say "____ is the best country in the world"

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#32 Posted by Sevenizz (3846 posts) -

@THUMPTABLE: False. I’m Canadian, you realize. We pay high taxes, don’t have free speech, unvetted immigration/refugees, about 60 returning ISIS fighters not being tracked due to budget constraints, and have a corrupt liberal government who presently are in the middle of another scandal. Unemployment only goes up due to high corporate taxes and companies moving to Mexico. Most of our media is government owned or government paid so we’re fed a constant stream of fake news.

But we have free healthcare! But have to pay for prescriptions and dentistry.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#33 Edited by Jacanuk (18494 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Anti-Israel and anti-semitism are two very different things. Although pro-Israel groups love love LOVE to assume they are the same.

Wishing for Israel to be gone so there can be peace in that area does not mean you wish Jews were gone, too; if that were the case, I think they'd say how they wished Jews didn't exist. Fun fact: there are actually Jews that wish Israel did not exist.

I think that's a lack of context a lot of people are too quick to jump on.

With that said, I don't see A.) how that poster is hitting back at anti-semitism (if that were even a thing she did), and B.) I don't recall saying to "go lower" but if I did, well, that's too low. The woman is already getting death threats in her home town as it is...

Sure, for some there may be a separation between the two, but in this case, we are not talking about a single point of view, we are talking multiple, not to mention she is a part of a growing anti-semitic movement and is also a backer for the horrid BDS movement. Which is not that surprising considering that many on the left is moving further and further towards anti-Semitism and some universities have even gone so far as to ban Israeli groups from speaking publically on their campus.

As to the poster, well you can´t expect someone to be anti-semitic on twitter and in the same tweet praising Islam and not have someone throw something back, which is what the poster is, they are not just targetting her because she happened to be a Muslim and wear the hijab.

Avatar image for zaryia
#34 Edited by Zaryia (8632 posts) -
@Sevenizz said:

@THUMPTABLE: False. I’m Canadian, you realize. We pay high taxes, don’t have free speech, unvetted immigration/refugees, about 60 returning ISIS fighters not being tracked due to budget constraints, and have a corrupt liberal government who presently are in the middle of another scandal. Unemployment only goes up due to high corporate taxes and companies moving to Mexico. Most of our media is government owned or government paid so we’re fed a constant stream of fake news.

But we have free healthcare! But have to pay for prescriptions and dentistry.

Canada has higher QOL and HDI than USA. As do many countries that Dems are stealing ideas from.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#35 Posted by Jacanuk (18494 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrbojangles25: How is the US the greatest country in the world??

Just my opinion. I'm quite fond of it, but then again I live in California and I know the rest of the country is not as great. Well, maybe Oregon, Washington, and Colorado are.

The US is the greatest country in the world.

But as to California

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/406595-california-has-highest-poverty-rate-in-us-feds

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#36 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43981 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Anti-Israel and anti-semitism are two very different things. Although pro-Israel groups love love LOVE to assume they are the same.

Wishing for Israel to be gone so there can be peace in that area does not mean you wish Jews were gone, too; if that were the case, I think they'd say how they wished Jews didn't exist. Fun fact: there are actually Jews that wish Israel did not exist.

I think that's a lack of context a lot of people are too quick to jump on.

With that said, I don't see A.) how that poster is hitting back at anti-semitism (if that were even a thing she did), and B.) I don't recall saying to "go lower" but if I did, well, that's too low. The woman is already getting death threats in her home town as it is...

Sure, for some there may be a separation between the two, but in this case, we are not talking about a single point of view, we are talking multiple, not to mention she is a part of a growing anti-semitic movement that is moving to ban free speech for anyone pro-Israel and also move to begin sanctions against Israel. Which is interesting considering the left is moving further and further towards anti-Semitism and some universities have even gone so far as to ban Israeli groups from speaking publically on their campus.

As to the poster, well you can´t expect someone to be anti-semitic on twitter and in the same tweet praising Islam and not have someone throw something back, which is what the poster is, they are not just targetting her because she happened to be a Muslim and wear the hijab.

Again, you seem to be interpreting anti-Israeli/Zionist views with anti-semitism. Wanting to ban Israeli lobbyists from US politics (to stop one country from unfairly influencing another) and Israeli groups from universities is not anti-semitism. Israel is a country and, last time I checked, they are not a theocracy so it's pretty clear you can hate on the country and still love Jews. Hell, many Jews hate on Israel. Why? Because the state of Israel is separate from the religion of its people.

Concerning the poster, if there are as many anti-semitic, pro-immigrant politicians on the left, why didn't they pick one of them? Because Omar is a brown-skinned Muslim. She is low-hanging fruit, easy prey. It had absolutely everything to do with Islamophobia and racism.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#37 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43981 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrbojangles25: How is the US the greatest country in the world??

Just my opinion. I'm quite fond of it, but then again I live in California and I know the rest of the country is not as great. Well, maybe Oregon, Washington, and Colorado are.

The US is the greatest country in the world.

But as to California

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/406595-california-has-highest-poverty-rate-in-us-feds

Haha I was part of that percentage for a few years!

California ain't cheap! But then again, it might be worth it to some. I have a friend who moved to Wyoming not too long ago and he is coming right back because the winter there was too much.

Tahoe, best craft beer, wine country, agriculture.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#38 Posted by Jacanuk (18494 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

Again, you seem to be interpreting anti-Israeli/Zionist views with anti-semitism. Wanting to ban Israeli lobbyists from US politics (to stop one country from unfairly influencing another) and Israeli groups from universities is not anti-semitism. Israel is a country and, last time I checked, they are not a theocracy so it's pretty clear you can hate on the country and still love Jews. Hell, many Jews hate on Israel. Why? Because the state of Israel is separate from the religion of its people.

Concerning the poster, if there are as many anti-semitic, pro-immigrant politicians on the left, why didn't they pick one of them? Because Omar is a brown-skinned Muslim. She is low-hanging fruit, easy prey. It had absolutely everything to do with Islamophobia and racism.

But where do you think those views come from? where do you think the "it´s all about the Benjamins" tweet came from claiming that all politicians except her are bought by Israeli lobbyists. Or where her backing for BDS comes from? one of the most radical anti-sematic far-left winged groups out there. Or her refusal to back the current bill condemning anti-Semitism

I do agree that you can be against the politics of Israel but there is a long long way from that, to wanting it destroyed because you and I and everyone with an ounce of common sense, knows that Israel is there to stay. So going as far as advocating their destruction is not just coming from a disagreement for their politics but from the same place that hate comes from.

And again as to the poster, I can agree it went overboard but again it, does not come from, nothing or an anti-muslim attitude, it comes from the tweets, opinions and attitude she has shown towards Israel our closest ally in the middle-east.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#39 Posted by Jacanuk (18494 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrbojangles25: How is the US the greatest country in the world??

Just my opinion. I'm quite fond of it, but then again I live in California and I know the rest of the country is not as great. Well, maybe Oregon, Washington, and Colorado are.

The US is the greatest country in the world.

But as to California

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/406595-california-has-highest-poverty-rate-in-us-feds

Haha I was part of that percentage for a few years!

California ain't cheap! But then again, it might be worth it to some. I have a friend who moved to Wyoming not too long ago and he is coming right back because the winter there was too much.

Tahoe, best craft beer, wine country, agriculture.

LOL , well Wyoming is also a cold place :D

California is great if it wasn´t for the expensive housing and the politics :D love the nature, ladies and the sun and of course, LA is unique, you can watch movies all you want but being there is such a crazy experience.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#40 Posted by comp_atkins (35699 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

How can you call divisive speech like that "agreeable"?

As for assimilation/integration, to what extent? I feel that immigrants need some sort of assimilation, but they shouldn't have to forego all their traditions and customs. Jews still celebrate their holiday, Christians get theirs, Muslims and so on.

Socialism and capitalism are not mutually exclusive; in fact, I would argue a blend of both are needed in order to keep one another in check. That way we get the best of both worlds why cancelling out the negatives each one has to offer.

there are no grays any longer in so many people's little heads.

just black and white.

Avatar image for THUMPTABLE
#41 Posted by THUMPTABLE (2087 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

@THUMPTABLE: False. I’m Canadian, you realize. We pay high taxes, don’t have free speech, unvetted immigration/refugees, about 60 returning ISIS fighters not being tracked due to budget constraints, and have a corrupt liberal government who presently are in the middle of another scandal. Unemployment only goes up due to high corporate taxes and companies moving to Mexico. Most of our media is government owned or government paid so we’re fed a constant stream of fake news.

But we have free healthcare! But have to pay for prescriptions and dentistry.

I put Canada because I thought you were from there, you sound like a conspiracy theorist.
Your politics is far more stable than that of the US.

Avatar image for THUMPTABLE
#42 Posted by THUMPTABLE (2087 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:

@mrbojangles25: How is the US the greatest country in the world??

Just my opinion. I'm quite fond of it, but then again I live in California and I know the rest of the country is not as great. Well, maybe Oregon, Washington, and Colorado are.

Been to many other countries?

The US being advanced in some things but so backward in others.

Vietnam, Japan, Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, Italy, Cambodia, Thailand, Spain...I think there are a few others in there, too.

Actually the US is the one country I feel I need to see more of, if anything. Outside of visiting relatives in South Carolina and one or two trips to Oregon, I haven't seen much of my own country.

Anyway, it sounds like you have quite a bit of resentment lol. Sorry if I offended, you shouldn't take anyone serious (and therefore, should not be offended) when they say "____ is the best country in the world"

Not offended just curious and as we are probably militarily your closest ally