Ocasio-Cortez, chief of staff illegally moved $885G in campaign contributions 'off the books,' FEC complaint alleges

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortezs-millionaire-chief-of-staff-violated-fec-rules-to-hide-885g-fec-complaint-alleges.amp

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/ocasio-cortezs-chief-of-staff-ran-1m-slush-fund-by-diverting-campaign-cash-to-his-own-companies

She’s been pretty anti establishment and against “dark money” now in multiple interviews and speeches. But this could also be a smear campaign as the “investigation” was done by a conservative group and all that are reporting it are notoriously conservative news sites. Thoughts?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

I would stand back and see what comes out of the investigation before passing judgement, for all we know this could be a misunderstanding or she was unaware what was going on. If evidence shows that she is doing something illegal after all, then she would need to be dealt with in the legal system.

In terms of it being a smear campaign, I think she has more to fear from other Democrats worried that she is going to go beyond what they can control than the GOP, which is currently painting her as the future of the Democratic Party in an attempt to help the president get reelected.

Also, it isn't surprising that mostly conservative sources would be reporting it, that isn't much more surprising than Fox News focusing on the summit in Vietnam while MSNBC and CNN were more focused on the Cohen testimony during last week's news cycle.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

In a post truth world, I wonder if it will matter whether this is true or not. If it's not true it definitely won't matter to conservatives who will continue to cite this as basically the only time that you should trust the media.

If it is true though I wonder it will matter to democrats. I personally think that if AOC is proven to be involved then democrats should definitely vote for someone else, but will they actually do that? It's very hard to say. I think it's more likely that people will use Trump to justify continued support because "she's not as bad as him," or, "" Republicans continue to support a lying hypocrite for president so what's wrong with supporting her?"

I'm kind of think this will end up being a smear campaign partially because it is a conservative outlet reporting it, and they're the only one's cited on the other news articles that have reported the same, but also because perhaps republicans are winning on the message that the media isn't trustworthy. Trump says it all the time (and he lies all the time) and conservative outlets agree with him (a known liar), so why should I trust a conservative media outlet?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, why is this even news?

Everyone who is going into politics does it because they want to line their own pockets not because they have some altruistic ideals.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts
@ad1x2 said:

I would stand back and see what comes out of the investigation before passing judgement, for all we know this could be a misunderstanding or she was unaware what was going on. If evidence shows that she is doing something illegal after all, then she would need to be dealt with in the legal system.

In terms of it being a smear campaign, I think she has more to fear from other Democrats worried that she is going to go beyond what they can control than the GOP, which is currently painting her as the future of the Democratic Party in an attempt to help the president get reelected.

Also, it isn't surprising that mostly conservative sources would be reporting it, that isn't much more surprising than Fox News focusing on the summit in Vietnam while MSNBC and CNN were more focused on the Cohen testimony during last week's news cycle.

Ignorance of the law does not excuse you from the law. She could still be indicted as an 'accessory to the crime' even if she didn't know what was happening.

Also, just because it was reported by a right wing or by a conservative media doesn't mean it could be a hit piece. What should we be doing is wait for jury before being judgmental as what @ad1x2 said.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@anthonyautumns: "Also, just because it was reported by a right wing or by a conservative media doesn't mean it could be a hit piece."

But we're told over and over not to trust the media, by Trump and the republicans in congress as well as by conservative media.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AnthonyAutumns

@Serraph105: That's why we should wait for results just like what I posted.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Everyone who is going into politics does it because they want to line their own pockets not because they have some altruistic ideals.

That's sad really.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16534 Posts

All politicians are snakes, maybe with the exception of Bernie but even he has skeletons.

As for fox news and other conservative outlets, they're more fake news than even CNN, so it's hard to trust them. A lot of politicians and their advisors we're caught moving money around but that may be for legit purposes, not to line their pockets. There's tons of laws on the books that don't make sense but are gotcha laws meant for technicalities. I do think that the right have some crazy obsession over AOC, but not only that so does the main stream left. It's more subtle than on Fox news, but there's plenty of anti AOC on CNN also.

Either way, I wouldn't listen to either of these news sources for trust worthy neutral information, and prefer getting it TYT instead. Yes, TYT also has their own agenda but it's less corrupted than the main stream.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

All politicians are snakes, maybe with the exception of Bernie but even he has skeletons.

As for fox news and other conservative outlets, they're more fake news than even CNN, so it's hard to trust them. A lot of politicians and their advisors we're caught moving money around but that may be for legit purposes, not to line their pockets. There's tons of laws on the books that don't make sense but are gotcha laws meant for technicalities. I do think that the right have some crazy obsession over AOC, but not only that so does the main stream left. It's more subtle than on Fox news, but there's plenty of anti AOC on CNN also.

Either way, I wouldn't listen to either of these news sources for trust worthy neutral information, and prefer getting it TYT instead. Yes, TYT also has their own agenda but it's less corrupted than the main stream.

conservative media's hard-on for AOC has to do with using her to paint ALL liberals in the same light and then to say "see! look how crazy ALL liberals are so you better vote republican!"

it's a pretty standard formula that both sides utilize VERY often.

1) find an politician of an espoused ideology who holds a fairly extreme view on a given topic(s)

2) hold that person up as the example of how ALL people of that ideology think

3) assume the viewer will then vote for your preferred politician because "look how crazy the other side is"

4) this helps greatly if right after airing a story about that crazy politician saying crazy things, you cut to commercial w/ a PAC paid for ad for your favored candidate.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's sad really.

Indeed. Why we need to take money out of politics.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:
@ad1x2 said:

Ignorance of the law does not excuse you from the law. She could still be indicted as an 'accessory to the crime' even if she didn't know what was happening.

Also, just because it was reported by a right wing or by a conservative media doesn't mean it could be a hit piece. What should we be doing is wait for jury before being judgmental as what @ad1x2 said.

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say how the situation would go. But in the case of her having no idea what was going on, i.e. her campaign manager moving the funds while telling her everything was good to go, she may possibly be fine if her lawyers are good enough. Getting a good lawyer wouldn't be an issue for her anyway and I'm sure several Hollywood celebrities would be more than willing to pay for her lawyers so she wouldn't have to. There are politicians that have been accused of much worse than her that came out just fine and were even reelected after the fact.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's sad really.

I dont believe that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

Reeeeeeally really really hope that Democrats stand behind her, but solidarity is not the best virtue of the left (unfortunately, it is of the right).

She is also a bit of a "loose cannon" and so on blah blah blah, I imagine even here own party might want her gone.

A shame. Either way, in this era of Trump and his many many questionable deals, I don't think it's too terrible to not make a big deal out of this lol...just let the investigation take place (if one is warranted), and be done with it.

@sonicare said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's sad really.

I dont believe that.

Nor do I.

I firmly believe they go into politics to serve. There are literally thousands of other things more lucrative and less attention-getting than being a politician. Not to mention a lot of politicians are already fairly well off to begin with.

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's sad really.

Indeed. Why we need to take money out of politics.

However, I do believe this.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

So we've got a single complaint that was merely 'filed'. Let the complaint be reviewed and actionable measures taken if improper conduct was found. How many of these complaints are filed against members of Congress and associates each year since PACs were allowed to exist? My guess is quite a few.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@sonicare said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's sad really.

I dont believe that.

Some of them might start with good intentions but they end up becoming polluted from all of the underhanded dealings.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

So we've got a single complaint that was merely 'filed'. Let the complaint be reviewed and actionable measures taken if improper conduct was found. How many of these complaints are filed against members of Congress and associates each year since PACs were allowed to exist? My guess is quite a few.

Yeah I misread the title initially. A "complaint". Well, okay...

Let's all just hold our horses here :P

I wonder how many complaints are filed per year against how many people? Probably a lot.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@sonicare said:

I dont believe that.

You have every right to believe that and for this country, I hope you are right but so far I have not seen one single politician who didn´t manage to line their own pockets

Also considering the money there is in politics, anyone would have a hard time saying no, after all, would you say no if someone came to you and offered you $100.000 as a campaign donation if you don´t vote for something or sign your name on a certain piece of paper.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AnthonyAutumns
@sonicare said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's sad really.

I dont believe that.

Just because you don't believe that it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Well, at least here in the Philippines, that is true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:
@sonicare said:
@horgen said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's sad really.

I dont believe that.

Just because you don't believe that it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Well, at least here in the Philippines, that is true.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying that not every politician is going into politics to simply line their pockets. That's an incredibly cynical view and I dont believe it.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

She’s not very bright and worst of all - a hypocrite.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

@Sevenizz: We agree on that. She is going to go to Washington and become rich, but hate on rich people.