New York Times no longer publishing political cartoons after antisemitic controversy...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

The Hill

The New York Times on Monday announced that it would no longer publish political cartoons in its international edition, a move that comes more than a month after the publication faced widespread condemnation for publishing an anti-Semitic cartoon.

James Bennet, the Times's editorial page editor, said in a statement that the newspaper would officially stop publishing editorial cartoons on July 1 after more than year of deliberation.

"We plan to continue investing in forms of Opinion journalism, including visual journalism, that express nuance, complexity and strong voice from a diversity of viewpoints across all of our platforms," Bennet said, adding that the move brings the international edition of the paper in line with the U.S. edition, which doesn't carry cartoons. Bennet issued the statement just hours after after cartoonist Patrick Chappatte revealed the Times's plans in a blog post. Chappatte, an editorial cartoonist for the Times's international edition, linked the decision to the "widespread outrage" that followed after the paper published an anti-Semitic illustration of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Trump.

"Last week, my employers told me they'll be ending in-house political cartoons as well by July," Chappatte wrote. "I’m putting down my pen, with a sigh: that’s a lot of years of work undone by a single cartoon - not even mine - that should never have run in the best newspaper of the world."

"I’m afraid this is not just about cartoons, but about journalism and opinion in general," he continued. "We are in a world where moralistic mobs gather on social media and rise like a storm, falling upon newsrooms in an overwhelming blow. "

Bennet acknowledged Chappatte's efforts, saying that the newspaper was "very grateful" for the work he and cartoonist Heng Kim Song had done. He also noted that the newspaper planned to collaborate with Chappatte and Heng on future projects.

He did not address Chappatte's remarks about the controversial cartoon.

The Times faced intense criticism earlier this year after publishing a cartoon featuring Trump wearing a yarmulke and dark glasses walking Netanyahu, who was portrayed as a guide dog on a leash with a Star of David hanging from his collar. The Times formally apologized and disciplined the editor who was responsible for the cartoon being published. The organization also said that it would stop running syndicated cartoons created by artists who were not tied to the paper directly.

The Portuguese cartoonist who drew the image, António Moreira Antunes, told CNN at the time that he did not intend for the image to be anti-Semitic.

Well, this is not a good way of handling a controversy AT ALL. I have a bad feeling it'll open doors against freedom of expression, especially handling politics in entertaining matters not just in political cartoons, but comedy shows, fiction influenced by current events, etc.

Here's what a local cartoonist in my state has to say about it in political cartoon form.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

So the NY Times admit they can't trust themselves to discern what may be an anti-semitic cartoon (or something else that might be offensive) so they are scrapping all altogether. I guess it is better this way, less you may get that urge to scratch that itch again.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Maybe it is more along the lines of the editor(s) knowing full well what is offensive yet completely underestimating the backlash.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

Maybe it is more along the lines of the editor(s) knowing full well what is offensive yet completely underestimating the backlash.

I dunno. The cartoonist blaming the backlash on the "Jewish propaganda machine" makes me think he's at least a little bit of an animus towards Jews.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@Solaryellow said:

I dunno. The cartoonist blaming the backlash on the "Jewish propaganda machine" makes me think he's at least a little bit of an animus towards Jews.

A little bit? the guy is clearly anti-semitic It´s not the first time he has done anti-sematic cartoons.

But I am amazed the guy has not been fired but I guess being against Jews is the new black for the left. Which is funny considering that it´s normally contributed to the ultra-far-left nutjubs who run around with tiki-torches.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

being against Jews is the new black for the left.

Do you have any evidence for this? Any polls or studies?

Last I checked, most Jews still vote Democrat. Most Neo-Nazis and KKK members are still found in conservative voting districts. Are you talking about 1 or 2 people, because that's not a major trend line.

@Jacanuk said:

Which is funny considering that it´s normally contributed to the ultra-far-left nutjubs who run around with tiki-torches.

Just want to be clear, this was a typo and you mean ultra-far-right?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

being against Jews is the new black for the left.

Do you have any evidence for this? Any polls or studies?

Last I checked, most Jews still vote Democrat. Most Neo-Nazis and KKK members are still found in conservative voting districts. Are you talking about 1 or 2 people, because that's not a major trend line.

@Jacanuk said:

Which is funny considering that it´s normally contributed to the ultra-far-left nutjubs who run around with tiki-torches.

Just want to be clear, this was a typo and you mean ultra-far-right?

Proof? Google AOC, Omar and any number of far-left persona´s

And right now some of them may have voted DNC but if the movement AOC and Omar is spearheading and the growing anti-semitic movement gets a proper foothold, you will quickly see that changing.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:

And right now some of them may have voted DNC but if the movement AOC and Omar is spearheading and the growing anti-semitic movement gets a proper foothold, you will quickly see that changing.

That's not proof of an Antisemitism movement or trend. Even if it was true, 2 people wouldn't be enough lmao what planet are you living on (It's not, neither are Antisemitic). Anti-Israel is not Antisemitism. IE: I can say "Israel can go **** itself, stop giving it money", and I'm not Antisemitic.

Huge crowds of people chanting "Jews will not replace us" is Antisemitism, and a clear movement.

Having a majority of KKK members is having a foothold Antisemitism

Having a majority of Neo-Nazis is having a foothold Antisemitism.

Meanwhile the Dems have 1 or 2 gaffs a year. Quite the difference from shooting up a Synagogue or joining huge anti-jew Klan Rallies.

A handful of politicians making Anti-Isreal statements is not Antisemitism, and certainly not a movement. Unless you can provide a study or poll showing otherwise.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's not proof of an Antisemitism movement or trend. Even if it was true, 2 people wouldn't be enough lmao what planet are you living on (It's not, neither are Antisemitic). Anti-Israel is not Antisemitism. IE: I can say "Israel can go **** itself, stop giving it money", and I'm not Antisemitic.

Huge crowds of people chanting "Jews will not replace us" is Antisemitism, and a clear movement.

Meanwhile the Dems have 1 or 2 gaffs a year. Quite the difference from shooting up a Synagogue or joining huge anti-jew Klan Rallies.

A handful of politicians making Anti-Isreal statements is not Antisemitism, and certainly not a movement. Unless you can provide a study or poll showing otherwise.

So now the BDS is not a movement?

and yes that movement is highly anti-sematic and Omar have gone out publically in support of that, AOC has a massive following among highly anti-sematic far-left wing groups who want Israel destroyed.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

and yes that movement is highly anti-sematic and Omar have gone out publically in support of that, AOC has a massive following among highly anti-sematic far-left wing groups who want Israel destroyed.

I did a google search on AOC, you seem to have made this up. I see zero anti-semetic statements or statements that can even be misconstrued as such made by her. In fact I see her defending Jews 2 weeks ago. https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/politico-magazine-accused-of-anti-semitism-over-bernie-sanders-illustration-1.7287808

Holy shit you just said AOC is spearheading an antisemitic movement? How can I ever take a post from you seriously again?

This is insanity.

Also again I need proof it is growing and how many of her followers are antisemitic. Nothing I've seen makes it even close to the antisemitism on the right.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

I did a google search on AOC, you seem to have made this up. I see zero anti-semetic statements or statements that can even be misconstrued as such made by her. In fact I see her defending Jews 2 weeks ago. https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/politico-magazine-accused-of-anti-semitism-over-bernie-sanders-illustration-1.7287808

Holy shit you just said AOC is spearheading an antisemitic movement? How can I ever take a post from you seriously again?

This is insanity.

Also again I need proof it is growing and how many of her followers are antisemitic. Nothing I've seen makes it even close to the antisemitism on the right.

You clearly do not do research

AOC is a member of DSA that has adopted and ratified the BDS´s agenda into their program.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:

AOC is a member of DSA that has adopted and ratified the BDS´s agenda into their program.

So can you link me the Antisimetic statements AOC made or Antisemitic viewpoints AOC supports? My research is drawing blanks. In fact I only found a site were she defended Jews (who are mostly Democrats):

Ocasio-Cortez Slams Politico for 'Money Trees Next to the Only Jewish Candidate for President'

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/politico-magazine-accused-of-anti-semitism-over-bernie-sanders-illustration-1.7287808

Also you still refuse to post a study or poll showing this "growing" trend of antisemitism on the left. Can you please provide citation I've been asking for 3 posts for you to finally verify your initial claim. One more post without such proof and I'm going to accept that you lost this debate.

Also you appear to be confusing Anti-Isreal with Antisemitism. Apparently most Jews who are Democrats don't hate themselves.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

So can you link me the Antisimetic statements AOC made or Antisemitic viewpoints AOC supports? My research is drawing blanks. In fact I only found a site were she defended Jews (who are mostly Democrats):

Ocasio-Cortez Slams Politico for 'Money Trees Next to the Only Jewish Candidate for President'

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/politico-magazine-accused-of-anti-semitism-over-bernie-sanders-illustration-1.7287808

Also you still refuse to post a study or poll showing this "growing" trend of antisemitism on the left. Can you please provide citation I've been asking for 3 posts for you to finally verify your initial claim. One more post without such proof and I'm going to accept that you lost this debate.

Also you appear to be confusing Anti-Isreal with Antisemitism. Apparently most Jews who are Democrats don't hate themselves.

You can try to argue semantics here all you want but the BDS movement is anti-semitic and we have had this debate before and here you completely disregard that most world leaders agree that the movement is anti-semitic even your homeboy Trudeau.

Where Omar has come out and outright supported the movement, Cortez is a bit more clever especially considering she is in a New York district. She is a member of DSA who again has joined up with the BDS by applying the policies to their own, and not only that she has also outright come out against AID to Israel and cutting military and economic aid which is 100% in line with BDS.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:

You can try to argue semantics here all you want .

I'm arguing facts.

1. Please provide an example of AOC making an antisemitic comment or action. You said she was spearheading antisemitism. Stop conflating anti-Israel policy with antisemitism. It's childish. Or are you saying I'm an antisemite for disliking Israel?

2. Please provide proof antisemitism is growing in the Dem Party, your main claim. This requires a poll or study. Perhaps you mistook this for the GOP in which case this is true and I can actually provide data on it:

https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/intelligence_report_166.pdf

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/columnists/zurawik/bs-fe-zontv-frontline-nazis-hate-20181116-story.html

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

I'm arguing facts.

1. Please provide an example of AOC making an antisemitic comment or action. You said she was spearheading antisemitism. Stop conflating anti-Israel policy with antisemitism. It's childish. Or are you saying I'm an antisemite for disliking Israel?

2. Please provide proof antisemitism is growing in the Dem Party, your main claim. This requires a poll or study. Perhaps you mistook this for the GOP in which case this is true and I can actually provide data on it:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/columnists/zurawik/bs-fe-zontv-frontline-nazis-hate-20181116-story.html

Intent matters "Cutting Aid to Israel" "not signing the common anti-anti-sematic in congress"

That is all you need.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

I'm arguing facts.

Intent matters "Cutting Aid to Israel" "not signing the common anti-anti-sematic in congress"

That is all you need.

I also want to cut aid to Israel. I completely agree with that. I do not hate Jews.

Well, that was easy.

Leave your opinions out of this, you couldn't provide the evidence of your original statements and you lost this one.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

I'm arguing facts.

That is all you need.

I also want to cut aid to Israel. I completely agree with that. I do not hate Jews.

Well, that was easy.

Leave your opinions out of this, you couldn't provide the evidence of your original statements and you lost this one.

It´s funny how you can literally miss the entire point and yet manage to prove my earlier point.

So if your intent is to hurt Israel then you are inline with Cortez and Omar who comes from anti-semitic agendas which is why they support BDS and the destruction of Israel.

And we have not even begun to talk about why we should not cut aid to what is the most important partner in the middle-east.