Mulvaney pushed NOAA to disavow forecasters who contradicted Trump on Alabama: report

• 55 results
Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Mulvaney pushed NOAA to disavow forecasters who contradicted Trump on Alabama: report

Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney instructed Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to have the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) support President Trump’s comments on the threat of Hurricane Dorian to Alabama and contradict the National Weather Service (NWS), according to The New York Times.

The Times, citing three unidentified sources, reported that after the directive came down from Mulvaney, Ross called acting NOAA Administrator Neil Jacobs to tell him to ensure the agency backed Trump.

When Jacobs objected, he was told the NOAA’s political appointees would be fired if it was not carried out, according to the newspaper.

Ross's spokesman has denied earlier reporting that the Cabinet official threatened firings at the NOAA if the administration did not back the president.

Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Wednesday that he "never" told Mulvaney to have NOAA disavow the NWS.

"That’s a whole hoax by the fake news media when they talk about the hurricane and they talk about Florida and they talk about Alabama," he said.

Oh c'mon now. Just wow.

Yes it was a nothing burger gaff at first. But they (Trump & Stooges) turned it into a terrible political shit-show.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Newest reports are saying it came straight from Trump.

Poor feller got his feeling hurt

https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/2019/09/president-trump-ordered-noaa-statement-supporting-his-inaccurate-claim-that-alabama-was-at-risk-from-dorian.html

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

No one should be okay with this.........

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

NOAA duh.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Awww, poor wittle Trump had his wittle fweelings hurt. Wahhhhhh wahhh.

@Nuck81 said:

Newest reports are saying it came straight from Trump.

Poor feller got his feeling hurt

https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/2019/09/president-trump-ordered-noaa-statement-supporting-his-inaccurate-claim-that-alabama-was-at-risk-from-dorian.html

Haha beat me to it.

And yeah, I have no doubt it came directly from Trump; no one in their right mind (I mean that literally; Trump is not in his right mind) would pull a stunt like this.

"Do what I say even if it is wrong, or you're fired" WTF man.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:

No one should be okay with this.........

No no no, let's hear what the apologists and Trump supporters have to say about it...

"Something something they're a bunch of leftist nerds with agendas something something"...

...or...

..."Trump's just running the country like a business something something"

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

So let´s check this the information comes from

"The Times, citing three unidentified sources,"

So someone which could be a parrot for all the times know could have sent them a piece of paper with bird droppings

And here we are, did the journalistic professionalism really get to this low a standard?

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Real life ministry of truth at work here.

What a shit-show.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e9044657a310

Did anyone else have "fake news" on their Trump nutsucker apologist bingo card?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

God you guys sound butthurt, I refuse to believe any of you actually care about this lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e9044657a310

Did anyone else have "who cares?" on their Trump nutsucker apologist bingo card?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

How come I feel Trump is doing exactly what every president does, difference being they get crazy about different things. Trump Fake Everything/laundry list of things, Obama ObamaCare, Bush 2 Oil Wars, Clinton Sexing, Bush 1 Oil Wars, Reagan Drugs, etc. etc. all just aren't so open and blatant and about it, and not all as crazy about it as the next guy.

Is that what people wanted, not an honest president, but just one that will not care if dirty laundry is hanging over white house's fence? This is literally one of the moments where you get scolded, and someone asks you what were you thinking, and nothing you can say but I wasn't thinking.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

Did anyone else have "who cares?" on their Trump nutsucker apologist bingo card?

Attacking the source.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

@Jacanuk: Journalism 101 is literally don’t reveal your secret sources due to fear of reprisal, especially if they are embedded in the administration. This is the utmost basic stuff. Would you expect Woodward and Bernstein to have publicly revealed who Deepthroat was during Watergate?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:

So someone which could be a parrot for all the times know could have sent them a piece of paper with bird droppings

And here we are, did the journalistic professionalism really get to this low a standard?

That's not how journalism works but this is how apologists work. They know their sources and they know they have the info. But please continue thinking fascist playbook rules are okay.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zaryia
@jeezers said:

God you guys sound butthurt, I refuse to believe any of you actually care about this lol

What is this cultish bullshit? You defend the most absolute dumbest stuff and with the worst excuses.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:

Nice. So now I know it happened. Super reliable paper and sourcing. Some of the best in the business.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jeezers

@zaryia said:
@jeezers said:

What is this cultish bullshit?

Why wouldn't I care that Trump ordered scientists to be fired for correcting him? Are you dumb?

Your the cult, who gets this messed up over something so stupid. Seriously who cares, trump said alabama could get hit, not that big of a deal, CNN also said Alabama might get hit,

Loading Video...

Trump shows a map of a common path that was predicted for the storm to show if it went the predicted path, Alabama could have got hit, Leftwing media freaks out calling Trump a liar.

Trump starts selling black markers on facebook and twitter with his signature on them after the infamous #sharpiegate scandal..... lmao

and trump shares memes of it... Showcasing the desperation

Hes good at this, he does it every time the left harps on something stupid and trivial.

North carolina got the worst of it in the US. No one predicted that.. the storm stopped short and went up.. But yeah Trump loves it when you guys do this, it makes you look like reactionary babies. This guy is literally memeing the left from the white house... complete mad lad

No Caption Provided

The thing is he showcases it, your giving him content to showcase, you eat up these stories and then trump puts the magnify glass on on and its funny!! This kinda play will backfire on you in the long run. There is a saying, " know when to pick your battles".... #sharpiegate is not the hill to die on lol

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@jeezers: It should be a cause for concern when the "leader" makes statements that are proven wrong and the government enforces those ideas. We should NOT have to accept lies just because. That's not the country I live in. It's not the government we fought for...…….and it's disappointing so many are so in love with a cult figurehead that they throw all that away.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jeezers

@LJS9502_basic: I see you as the cult, your outrage is absurd. But just ignore what I say and harp on every trivial story on trump. Seriously, dont ever stop, this is golden content.

Everything is fine, I'm just a crazy guy, you guys are mad woke!!! 😆

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

@jeezers said:

@LJS9502_basic: I see you as the cult, your outrage is absurd. But just ignore what I say and harp on every trivial story on trump. Seriously, dont ever stop, this is golden content.

Because I put the country over individuals? That's ridiculous. But if the trump presidency is good for one thing it's reinforcing education needs improved in the US.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

Nice. So now I know it happened. Super reliable paper and sourcing. Some of the best in the business.

Nice, did not know you could be sarcastic.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jeezers

@LJS9502_basic said:
@jeezers said:

Because I put the country over individuals? That's ridiculous. But if the trump presidency is good for one thing it's reinforcing education needs improved in the US.

Thank god your focusing on #sharpiegate and putting America first!!! you go patriot!!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jacanuk
@leicam6 said:

@Jacanuk: Journalism 101 is literally don’t reveal your secret sources due to fear of reprisal, especially if they are embedded in the administration. This is the utmost basic stuff. Would you expect Woodward and Bernstein to have publicly revealed who Deepthroat was during Watergate?

@LJS9502_basic said:

That's not how journalism works but this is how apologists work. They know their sources and they know they have the info. But please continue thinking fascist playbook rules are okay.

Journalistic 101 for you here.

If you know who it is, you don´t write "unidentified sources" you write "3 sources or 3 sources known to the journalist" also writing "unidentified" does not protect the journalist or the paper if the government has a legal reason to know who the source is.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

@jeezers said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Thank god your focusing on #sharpiegate and putting America first!!! you go patriot!!

No I'm focusing on how terrible the government has been under trump. But keep drinking the kool aid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e9044657a310

Did anyone have "deflection" and "blatantly false statements" on their Trump nutsucker apologists bingo card?

Someone has to be close to bingo by now

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

I was being 100% factual.

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_won_by_The_New_York_Times
  • https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-times/
  • https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/reader-center/how-the-times-uses-anonymous-sources.html

It's not my fault reality evades you.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zaryia
@jeezers said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@jeezers said:

So it's fine to threaten to fire a scientist for correcting Trump?

Why are you behaving like you are part of a cult?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zaryia
@jeezers said:

Your the cult, who gets this messed up over something so stupid. Seriously who cares, trump said alabama could get hit, not that big of a deal, CNN also said Alabama might get hit,

That's not even what this thread is about. It's about Mick and Ross threatening to NOAA for fact checking Trump. The Chief Scientist is already investigating what the hell went wrong on Friday. We're well past Trump being wrong last week.

Are you braindead? You didn't even read the OP that means.

@jeezers said:

Trump shows a map of a common path that was predicted for the storm to show if it went the predicted path, Alabama could have got hit, Leftwing media freaks out calling Trump a liar.

This is wrong. Those were the wrong predictions on Sept 1. He was wrong. It's over. We aren't debating that.

@jeezers said:

Trump starts selling black markers on facebook and twitter with his signature on them after the infamous #sharpiegate scandal..... lmao

and trump shares memes of it... Showcasing the desperation

I mean that sure sounds awesome if you're a 12 year old 4chan troll.

@jeezers said:

But yeah Trump loves it when you guys do this,

We're just fact checking him and mentioning possible corruption.

You seem more bent out of shape than anyone.

@jeezers said:

The thing is he showcases it, your giving him content to showcase, you eat up these stories and then trump puts the magnify glass on on and its funny!! This kinda play will backfire on you in the long run. There is a saying, " know when to pick your battles".... #sharpiegate is not the hill to die on lol

Trump lost "sharpiegate", he came out looking like a dumb piece of shit and his approval is back below 40% at several sources. That's super bad, and the 2nd worst in history.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jacanuk
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

• https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/reader-center/how-the-times-uses-anonymous-sources.html

And you seem to keep up with the sarcasm.

Good to see you are just joking around in your own thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@Jacanuk: we've already played the "fake news" card in Trump nutsucker apologist bingo.

Try again.

I don't think anyone has blamed Obama or said but her emails yet.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:

lol you've lost it. :D

Show me where the facts hurt your feelings. ;)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MirkoS77  Online
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@jeezers: you do realize that people actually depend on these scientific agencies in making determinations towards their own safety, yes? This isn't all fun, trollish games for Trump's (and your) amusement. How are people supposed to trust them as much now when they view them in doubt as to the motivations of their predictions?

You may see it as all fun and games, but in reality this actually does affect peoples' lives who are under potential threat.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jeezers

@MirkoS77 said:

@jeezers: you do realize that people actually depend on these scientific agencies in making determinations towards their own safety, yes? This isn't all fun, trollish games for Trump's (and your) amusement. How are people supposed to trust them as much now when they view them in doubt as to the motivations of their predictions?

You may see it as all fun and games, but in reality this actually does affect peoples' lives who are under potential threat.

You must be shaking in your boots over this eh? Welp..... that's to bad, i could care less, truly cant find a shit to give right now, i'm all out, gotta save those for things i care about anyway.

all over mentioning Alabama might get hit by the hurricane, this whole story almost makes we wish were still talking about Trump Russia Collusion.

Almost... lol

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MirkoS77  Online
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@jeezers said:
@MirkoS77 said:

You must be shaking in your boots over this eh? Welp..... that's to bad, i could care less, truly cant find a shit to give right now, i'm all out, gotta save those for things i care about anyway.

all over mentioning Alabama might get hit by the hurricane, this whole story almost makes we wish were still talking about Trump Russia Collusion.

Almost... lol

I'm left curious as to what your position's going to be when people end up dead because scientists pledge their allegiance to Trump's ignorance and ego instead of their profession that would actually help people remain out of the path of danger. The sad thing is, you'd probably still sit there laughing in mockery in partisan squabbles. Up to you.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:

Do you have any factual data on your side that shows NYT as objectively untrust worthy or an inaccurate news source?

I only hear this kind of talk by extreme right wing nutters, and it literally started due to Trump's NYT meme.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jacanuk
@Nuck81 said:

@Jacanuk: we've already played the "fake news" card in Trump nutsucker apologist bingo.

Try again.

Not called it fake news.

Just noting that their source is "unidentified sources"

@drunk_pi said:

lol you've lost it. :D

Show me where the facts hurt your feelings. ;)

/facepalm

Good to see you back with the same nonsense.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@Nuck81 said:

Try again.

Not called it fake news.

Eric made the same idiotic mistake as you did and got ass-blasted for it,

"Speaking to sources on background and anonymously sourcing documents to expose corruption is par for the course. I think you should learn how to use this other neat thing called Google before you tweet."

Eric Trump attacks Washington Post for standard attempt at getting story

https://www.salon.com/2019/09/08/eric-trump-attacks-washington-post-for-standard-attempt-at-getting-story/

Are you new to journalism?

How The Times Uses Anonymous Sources

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/14/reader-center/how-the-times-uses-anonymous-sources.html

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jacanuk

@zaryia: You are confusing two things here.

First of all unidentified does not mean "anonymous", if they had written that, there wouldn´t be a problem.

But they literally wrote unidentified and don´t give me a bunch of BS about it being to protect their source or an error or it´s the same thing as anonymous

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@Nuck81 said:

Try again.

Not called it fake news.

Yeah that's common but that they do vet their sources before they run with them. Honestly this crap where any criticism of trump is fake news needs to stop. This is not North Korea or Russian and I sure don't want it to became thus. Just stop with this nonsense.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Nuck81 said:

Try again.

Not called it fake news.

Yeah that's common but that they do vet their sources before they run with them. Honestly this crap where any criticism of trump is fake news needs to stop. This is not North Korea or Russian and I sure don't want it to became thus. Just stop with this nonsense.

This is not about Trump, this is about journalistic integrity.

We have never before been at a lower point in what is reported and how much work the "journalists" do,

Someone literally could send an email to NYT, Washout Post or a bunch of other news outlets with "dirt" on Trump claiming he is Orange because he sleeps in Cheesepuffs. And it would be breaking news.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

Not called it fake news.

We have never before been at a lower point in what is reported and how much work the "journalists" do,

Someone literally could send an email to NYT, Washout Post or a bunch of other news outlets with "dirt" on Trump claiming he is Orange because he sleeps in Cheesepuffs. And it would be breaking news.

So now you're making things up. smh

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jacanuk
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:

Not called it fake news.

What on earth are you talking about?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@jeezers said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Almost... lol

Holy shit, couldn't care less that our commander in chief is causing undue alarm with more pathological lying. Start shouting fire in every commercial building you enter in and just tell people that it's no big deal.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

What on earth are you talking about?

What you just explained was tried and failed miserably by one of your fansites:

Washington Post uncovers fake Roy Moore story 'sting'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42150322

OOPS!

These large papers you hate so much because Trump told you to (and no other reason) have vigorous journalistic standards, and are still quite reliable/factual.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jeezers

@Jacanuk: I agree with your assesment on jounalistic integrity. It's gotten so bad and many times news outlets will willing push a story with no research behind because they cant resist the juicy headline, then later add retractions to cover thier ass legally, but at the end of they day they got thier juicy headline.

Ive gotten to the point where I prefer almost any independent journalist over these ones who work for large corporate publications. Too much money and bias involved.

Think buzzfeed is bad?? I give it 20 years untill the New York Times is another buzzfeed site.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zaryia
@jeezers said:

@Jacanuk: I agree with your assesment on jounalistic integrity. It's gotten so bad and many times news outlets will willing push a story with no research behind because they cant resist the juicy headline, then later add retractions to cover thier ass legally, but at the end of they day they got thier juicy headline.

I disagree with your opinions as do the facts. The paper in question has an extremely high journalistic integrity and is incredibly highly rated.

The two of you are harping on something because Trump repeated it a lot. That's dumb, because it's just a shitty meme.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jeezers

@MirkoS77 said:
@jeezers said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Almost... lol

I'm left curious as to what your position's going to be when people end up dead because scientists pledge their allegiance to Trump's ignorance and ego instead of their profession that would actually help people remain out of the path of danger. The sad thing is, you'd probably still sit there laughing in mockery in partisan squabbles. Up to you.

That's quite the hot take

Loading Video...

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zaryia
@jeezers said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@jeezers said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Almost... lol

That's quite the hot take

Explain to me why scientists should be threatened for correcting Trump's incorrect statements?

Saying it's okay because a few anime Trump nerds and incels on 4chan might have found it funny isn't an actual rebuttal mind you.