Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

More Democrats Call For Impeachment Proceedings Against President Trump

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/716247955/more-democrats-call-for-impeachment-proceedings-against-president-trump

Absolute idiots. There is no way they can have him impeached (Senate), so why call for this wildly unpopular method (for any President)? It won't do anything except help Trump, that's gauranteed going by all polling data (historical and current) and the fact Senate is required.

Stupidity like this is why they lost 2016. They might have much more popular policy, but what does that matter if you keep acting like a fool. They should stop being dumb and stick with policy, theirs is far more popular and thats how they got 12million more votes in 2018.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@zaryia said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/716247955/more-democrats-call-for-impeachment-proceedings-against-president-trump

Absolute idiots. There is no way they can have him impeached (Senate), so why call for this wildly unpopular method (for any President)? It won't do anything except help Trump, that's gauranteed going by all polling data (historical and current) and the fact Senate is required.

Stupidity like this is why they lost 2016. They might have much more popular policy, but what does that matter if you keep acting like a fool.

Your party is pretty dumb. They'll lose again.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zaryia
@n64dd said:
@zaryia said:

Stupidity like this is why they lost 2016. They might have much more popular policy, but what does that matter if you keep acting like a fool.

1. It's not my party.

2. Yes, many of them are dumb at political chess. Be quiet and listen to Nancy.

3. They still have time to stop this impeachment nonsense and talk about policy which would be a surefire win. GOP policy is trash and unliked in comparison.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Democrats, individually, are pretty damn smart most of the time. As a group, they do some bonehead moves.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@zaryia said:
@n64dd said:
@zaryia said:

1. It's not my party.

2. Yes, many of them are dumb at political chess. Be quiet and listen to Nancy.

3. They still have time to stop this impeachment nonsense and talk about policy which would be a surefire win. GOP policy is trash and unliked in comparison.

Vote him out.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@n64dd said:

Vote him out.

Gerrymandering makes that harder.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
@horgen said:
@n64dd said:

Vote him out.

President Obama won twice and still holds the record for the biggest popular vote win in history. Gerrymandering doesn't have anything to do with the electoral college anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Democrats are great at governing. Bad at winning elections

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@Nuck81: Great at governing? Lmao...

That's a matter of perspective.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@blackhairedhero: *perspective

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@Nuck81: I'm on a mobile phone you will have to excuse typos.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zaryia

@n64dd said:.

Vote him out.

I never disagreed with this. That's certainly one of the best paths, as impeachment simply can't work due to the Cultist Senate.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Looked up this Moulton dude and was surprised to find out he's older than I am, and also seems to be fairly moderate. I thought for sure he'd be one of the progressive kiddies. Then again, he announced his candidacy, so he could be farming potential millennial votes.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

If they believe he should be impeached they should impeach him a let every single Republican Senator (and Joe Manchin) come forward and argue why he shouldn't be removed for the record.

I would be so ashamed of calling myself a Republican now a days, I don't know how can they go on tolerating that garbage being the White House.

There is no decency.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Considering what that that Mueller Report had, 10 potential counts of obstruction, and like a dozen cases still open, with redacted information known by those who could judge Trump, I imagine they aren't asking for impeachment unless they have good reason.

When Schiff got called out, I was with them, but hearing what he said about, "maybe you're OK with Russians helping Trump, but I'm not", that is basically the case. Maybe no grounds to throw Trump in jail, but who is OK with all the lying, deception, conspiracy and accepting Russian help. I don't care if Hilary was president, if we found out the Russians helped her get elected, I wouldn't want her as a president.

I just think its whack how many on Trump's side, simply cause they don't like CNN/Liberals. I find him charming and charismatic, way more than any potential 2020'er, but man is dirty, and being open and cool about it, doesn't make him cool. I was totally accepting, and only wanted to hate on him for things he's actually screwed up, and the few times people reported about his actual lame work as president, he's just not that fit for the job.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Master_Live said:

If they believe he should be impeached they should impeach him a let every single Republican Senator (and Joe Manchin) come forward and argue why he shouldn't be removed for the record.

I would be so ashamed of calling myself a Republican now a days, I don't know how can they go on tolerating that garbage being the White House.

There is no decency.

You think the report warrants impeachment proceedings? Just curious for your opinion. There is a difference between we should impeach and 'impeachment is politically expedient', to me at least.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Trump is mentally incapable of processing information and most people who dislike trump, including me, will have to, unfortunately, wait it out.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

As much as I really dislike Trump, realizing Pence is waiting on the bleachers makes me hesitant to support impeaching him...

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

Instead of calling for an impeachment case, why not actually do something and file an impeachment case?

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

The time for the left to pounce is NOW !!!

Say it with me....

PEACH FOHTY FIBE

PEACH FOHTY FIBE

PEACH FOHTY FIBE

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Pelosi letting Trump's assault happen is much worse.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator

@ad1x2 said:

President Obama won twice and still holds the record for the biggest popular vote win in history. Gerrymandering doesn't have anything to do with the electoral college anyway.

I said harder, not impossible.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Master_Live

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Master_Live said:

There is no decency.

You think the report warrants impeachment proceedings? Just curious for your opinion. There is a difference between we should impeach and 'impeachment is politically expedient', to me at least.

I think obstruction of justice is an impeachable offense. Out of the 10 so called possible incidents, at the very least Trump telling McGahn to lied to Mueller about Trump's request to fire Mueller is obstruction of justice or at the very least an attempt to obstruct justice. Therefore I would vote to impeach and convict.

I don't believe this bs of not being able to obstruct if there is no underlying crime or that because someone "failed" to obstruct justice then Trump was "saved" by his aides and all is alright.

But I have thought and said from the very beggining (before he was a candidate) that Trump isn't fit for the Presidency of the United States and this is just more of the same.

On the practical and strategic side, I think Pelosi is correct to say that she doesn't want to impeach (whether she is being sincere or not) and the next step is to continue to investigate.

Call Barr to testify, call Mueller to testify, call McGahn to testify, call Rosenstein to testify and take it from there.

Just remember that not impeaching is acquiescing to this behavior.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zaryia
@Master_Live said:

I don't believe this bs of not being able to obstruct if there is no underlying crime or that because someone "failed" to obstruct justice then Trump was "saved" by his aides and all is alright.

Also because Mueller was also looking into Russian Interference, which Trump denied and pushed back on as well. So it's still major obstruction no matter how you slice it.

That being said, why try to impeach when it's impossible? Won't The GOP Senate just cancel it out? I understand the fact it's proper and required, but if it can't possibly lead anywhere.....

It could just end up having the opposite effect, of getting him re-elected.

Bronn put it best,

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e9044657a310

Impeachment is stupid.

Just keep up with the subpoenas and Trump will take care of himself.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Master_Live

@zaryia said:
@Master_Live said:

Also because Mueller was also looking into Russian Interference, which Trump denied and pushed back on as well. So it's still major obstruction no matter how you slice it.

That being said, why try to impeach when it's impossible? Won't The GOP Senate just cancel it out? I understand the fact it's proper and required, but if it can't possibly lead anywhere.....

It could just end up having the opposite effect, of getting him re-elected.

True, which if I say impeaching is "the right thing to do" but all it gets is to perpetuate Trump in power then what have I accomplished?

Then you can define "the right thing to do" as whatever mechanism removes Trump legitimately from the Presidency as soon as possible. And if one determines impeachment doesn't fulfill that then impeachment is the incorrect action under that criteria.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
@horgen said:
@ad1x2 said:

Until gerrymandering affects how many representatives each state gets (not just voting districts within each state), it's not going to make any difference in presidential elections.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@horgen said:
@n64dd said:

Vote him out.

We are talking federal election here not local state election.

And considering Democratic candidates win all the time and Bush had to steal the election by a supreme court decision, I think it´s a good bet to say that is not a problem

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@n64dd said:

Vote him out.

We are talking federal election here not local state election.

And considering Democratic candidates win all the time and Bush had to steal the election by a supreme court decision, I think it´s a good bet to say that is not a problem

@ad1x2 said:
@horgen said:
@ad1x2 said:

Until gerrymandering affects how many representatives each state gets (not just voting districts within each state), it's not going to make any difference in presidential elections.

So it doesn't matter in federal elections? Learn something everyday it seems.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@horgen said:

So it doesn't matter in federal elections? Learn something everyday it seems.

It matters. Reps aren't going to admit it though.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HoolaHoopMan

@Master_Live said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Master_Live said:

There is no decency.

I think obstruction of justice is an impeachable offense. Out of the 10 so called possible incidents, at the very least Trump telling McGahn to lied to Mueller about Trump's request to fire Mueller is obstruction of justice or at the very least an attempt to obstruct justice. Therefore I would vote to impeach and convict.

But I have thought and said from the very beggining (before he was a candidate) that Trump isn't fit for the Presidency of the United States and this is just more of the same.

On the practical and strategic side, I think Pelosi is correct to say that she doesn't want to impeach (whether she is being sincere or not) and the next step is to continue to investigate.

Call Barr to testify, call Mueller to testify, call McGahn to testify, call Rosenstein to testify and take it from there.

Bolded: I absolutely agree since the intent is enough for me to make a decision on obstruction. Trump has certainly put him in a place which deserves impeachment, but like you mentioned, the practical side of the equation is the feasibility. If impeachment proceedings help Trump's reelection campaign I can't say I find much comfort in taking a moral stand on supporting it.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Master_Live said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Master_Live said:

There is no decency.

Bolded: I absolutely agree since the intent is enough for me to make a decision on obstruction. Trump has certainly put him in a place which deserves impeachment, but like you mentioned, the practical side of the equation is the feasibility. If impeachment proceedings help Trump's reelection campaign I can't say I find much comfort in taking a moral stand on supporting it.

The problem is obstruction requires corrupt intent. Without an underlying crime, the iffy nature of how the FBI chose to pursue trump, and partison push for the investigation undermines the ability to view those acts as obstruction. Mueller not only had the ability to conclude but was charged with determining whether or not obstruction occured. The result is essentially not not a crime... but also not a crime. Inconclusive to be exact. And trump has authority over investigatory proceedings... the fact that he was at the center of investigation that may have been corruptly started basically makes the entire thing a shit show.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HoolaHoopMan

@waahahah said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

The problem is obstruction requires corrupt intent. Without an underlying crime, the iffy nature of how the FBI chose to pursue trump, and partison push for the investigation undermines the ability to view those acts as obstruction. Mueller not only had the ability to conclude but was charged with determining whether or not obstruction occured. The result is essentially not not a crime... but also not a crime. Inconclusive to be exact. And trump has authority over investigatory proceedings... the fact that he was at the center of investigation that may have been corruptly started basically makes the entire thing a shit show.

Mueller started with with the assumption that he couldn't indict a sitting president. Trump's intent to obstruct was there, blatantly I might add. To say there wasn't intent is disingenuous at best.

Don't just take out word for it, look at Andrew Napolitano (A regular Foxnews guest).

'[W]hen the president asked his former [deputy national security] Adviser K.T. McFarland to write an untruthful letter to the file knowing the government would subpoena it—that’s obstruction of justice,” Napolitano says. “When the president asked Corey Lewandowski, his former campaign manager, to get Mueller fired—that’s obstruction of justice. When the president asked his then White House counsel to get Mueller fired and then lie about—that’s obstruction of justice. When he asked Don McGahn to go back to the special counsel and change his testimony—that’s obstruction of justice. When he dangled a pardon in front of Michael Cohen in order to keep Cohen from testifying against him—that’s obstruction of justice.”

You're blind as shit if you think obstruction isn't evident.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By waahahah
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@waahahah said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Mueller started with with the assumption that he couldn't indict a sitting president. Trump's intent to obstruct was there, blatantly I might add. To say there wasn't intent is disingenuous at best.

Don't just take out word for it, look at Andrew Napolitano (A regular Foxnews guest).

'[W]hen the president asked his former [deputy national security] Adviser K.T. McFarland to write an untruthful letter to the file knowing the government would subpoena it—that’s obstruction of justice,” Napolitano says. “When the president asked Corey Lewandowski, his former campaign manager, to get Mueller fired—that’s obstruction of justice. When the president asked his then White House counsel to get Mueller fired and then lie about—that’s obstruction of justice. When he asked Don McGahn to go back to the special counsel and change his testimony—that’s obstruction of justice. When he dangled a pardon in front of Michael Cohen in order to keep Cohen from testifying against him—that’s obstruction of justice.”

Apparently you don't seem to understand mueller doesn't need to indict to make a determination. Part of the mandate of the investigation was to make that determination.

Evidence of obstruction doesn't equate to obstruction. The lack of conclusion is evident of that.

I didn't say there wasn't intent. I said there has to be corrupt intent.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zaryia
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@waahahah said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

This saves me time, I was going to link Napolitano's video lol.

Several legal scholars and experts pretty much agree there was definitively obstruction. Both left and right. Andrew pretty much spells it out perfectly.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@waahahah said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Apparently you don't seem to understand mueller doesn't need to indict to make a determination. Part of the mandate of the investigation was to make that determination.

Evidence of obstruction doesn't equate to obstruction. The lack of conclusion is evident of that.

Obstructing the law IS by definition corrupt intent. Seriously dude.............

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 waahahah
@LJS9502_basic said:

Obstructing the law IS by definition corrupt intent. Seriously dude.............

Right, so no corrupt intent no Obstruction. Thanks for helping clarify this.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By waahahah

@zaryia said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@waahahah said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Several legal scholars and experts pretty much agree there was definitively obstruction. Both left and right. Andrew pretty much spells it out perfectly.

I'll side with Mueller. The person who did the investigation and interviewed 500 people. Which is summarized in the report. That didn't conclude obstruction.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HoolaHoopMan

@waahahah said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@waahahah said:

Mueller explicitly states that if he could conclude no obstruction had taken place he would state so, he didn't though. This, coupled with the fact he knew he couldn't indict (and Barr being Trump's legal shield), meant that Mueller's report was aimed largely at US and Congress. We are also the audience. Every one of us.

I don't need another person to pen out my opinions and stances word for word for me, just like a myriad of other lawyers like Napolitano have stated. You're trying to frame the idea of obstruction as narrowly as you can so that the goal posts touch.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 waahahah

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Mueller explicitly states that if he could conclude no obstruction had taken place he would state so, he didn't though. This, coupled with the fact he knew he couldn't indict (and Barr being Trump's legal shield), meant that Mueller's report was aimed largely at US and Congress. We are also the audience. Every one of us.

I don't need another person to pen out my opinions and stances word for word for me, just like a myriad of other lawyers like Napolitano have stated. You're trying to frame the idea of obstruction as narrowly as you can so that the goal posts touch.

He also could make a determination if obstruction had taken place. Which was not made. Not an exoneration. But not conclusive that obstruction took place.

We might be the audience, but coming down as inconclusive doesn't mean we get to just interpret that as conclusively obstruction happened. Its pretty clear due to the circumstances the president was put in, Mueller was unable to view the 10 episodes as trying to corruptly stop an investigation. Remember, trump has authority over this investigation. Which is part of the problem, him wanting to put an end to it is not inherently against the law.

What Barr did was make a conclusion, that its not obstruction because of how unprecedented the situation is. Regardless of how you feel about that... Mueller's investigation does not conclude obstruction happened, nor does it exonerate the president.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zaryia
@waahahah said:
@zaryia said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@waahahah said:

I'll side with Mueller. The person who did the investigation and interviewed 500 people. Which is summarized in the report. That didn't conclude obstruction.

I side with both Mueller and Napolitano (and many other legal scholars), as their views are not incompatible on this issue. They can both be right, as Mueller did not exonerate Trump and showed quite a bit of evidence of obstruction.

I agree with this.

Also Trump and his team's latest actions are making me possibly reconsider my OP,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/subpoenas-trump-officials-white-house-called-to-testify-congress/

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 waahahah

@zaryia said:

I side with both Mueller and Napolitano (and many other legal scholars), as their views are not incompatible on this issue. They can both be right, as Mueller did not exonerate Trump and showed quite a bit of evidence of obstruction.

I agree with this.

Also Trump and his team's latest actions are making me possibly reconsider my OP,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/subpoenas-trump-officials-white-house-called-to-testify-congress/

Actually they are incompatible. More so than Barr's views. Napolitano's views ignore the circumstances in which the acts were made. The entire issue with concluding obstruction... it directly contradicts Mueller's view of the acts.

Mueller said:

The evidence does not establish that the President was trying to have McFarland lie.

And there are basically these "caveats" all through the 10 episodes that make whether or not obstruction was the intent. Napolitano is only looking at a small aspect of what happened. I trust Mueller's

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zaryia

@waahahah said:
@zaryia said:

I agree with this.

Actually they are incompatible. More so than Barr's views. Napolitano's views ignore the circumstances in which the acts were made. The entire issue with concluding obstruction... it directly contradicts Mueller's view of the acts.

Mueller said:

The evidence does not establish that the President was trying to have McFarland lie.

And there are basically these "caveats" all through the 10 episodes that make whether or not obstruction was the intent. Napolitano is only looking at a small aspect of what happened. I trust Mueller's

Disagreed with your opinion. I trust Mueller and Napolitano. Their views are not mutually exclusive.

He specifically stated they were incapable of exonerating him on Obstruction, while giving quite a bit of evidence of Obstruction. He even explains how they can't indict a sitting President. If legal experts come along, looks at that evidence, and conclude he did in fact Obstruct - that does not counter or conflict with Mueller not being able to reach a judgement.

Mueller’s Signal on Obstruction: Congress Should Take On Trump

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-19/mueller-s-signal-on-obstruction-congress-should-take-on-trump

Robert Mueller filled his 448-page report with at least 10 instances where President Donald Trump tried to impede the special counsel’s investigation -- yet he stopped short of concluding whether the president obstructed justice.

So Attorney General William Barr sought to make the decision for him: no obstruction, no crime.

Throughout his report, Mueller signals clearly that he thinks Congress should settle that question, not the attorney general. By spending months investigating incidents of obstruction despite concluding he couldn’t indict a sitting president, Mueller gave lawmakers a starting point.

And he made sure not to get in their way. At one point, Mueller said he wanted to be certain he didn’t take actions that would “preempt constitutional processes for addressing presidential misconduct” -- a hint that came complete with a footnote referring to impeachment.

“If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the president clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state,” according to the report. “Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.”

You seem to be mostly drawing off of Barr's opinion more than anything.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 waahahah
@zaryia said:

I trust Mueller and Napolitano. Their views are not mutually exclusive.

He specifically stated they were incapable of exonerating him on Obstruction. Obstruction is laid out with evidence, and many legal scholars (including Andrew) agree that it was Obstruction. This does not conflict with Mueller's position that Trump was not exonerated and Congress should decide based off of the evidence (since he could not indict a sitting president).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-19/mueller-s-signal-on-obstruction-congress-should-take-on-trump

Of course they are mutually exclusive. They are different conclusions. Just like's barr's conclusion. Barr's conclusion is more compatible Because at least it falls within innocent until proven guilty. If the Mueller's report is unable to conclude obstruction occurred... then there is reasonable doubt thus innocent. It doesn't mean trump is innocent, it just means there isn't enough evidence to prove his guilt.

Mueller does not suggest in the report that congress should settle this. He suggests it is in congress's authority to charge the president with a crime thus he would not be charging the president with a crime. He was tasked with identifying whether or not the president committed a crime. On coordination with Russia he concluded no, on obstruction he concluded there isn't enough evidence to prove obstruction. Its pretty simple and completely incompatible Napolitano's conclusion. And it doesn't meet the legal definition of guilt.

The problem with bloombergs view is its retarded. Mueller's investigation was the investigation. If congress wants to charge they'll have to tread the same ground the investigation did... not use the 400 page report as proof there is obstruction because the 400 page report did not conclude a crime was committed. Congress would need to start their own investigation to clarify whether or not obstruction occurred, not just read into the report what they think Muller wants. Its non sensical to even read it that way.

From the report itself.

Conclusion:

Because we determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment , we did not draw ultimate conclusions about the President ' s conduct. The evidence we obtained about the President's actions and intent presents difficult issues that would need to be resolved if we were making a traditional prosecutorial judgment. At the same time, if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgment. Accordingly, while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.

The fact is the Mueller report did not conclude the President committed a crime. Barr's summary is basically accurate.. except for the exoneration. It seems more likely he wants the Mueller's word to be final, and from a prosecutor's eye's he's basically innocent (until proven guilty).

Several features of the conduct we investigated distinguish it from typical obstruction-ofjustice cases. First, the investigation concerned the President , and some of his actions , such as firing the FBI director , involved facially lawful acts within his Article II authority, which raises constitutional issues discussed below. At the same time, the President's position as the head of the Executive Branch provided him with unique and powerful mean s of influencing official proceedings, subordinate officers , and potential witnesses-all of which is relevant to a potential obstruction-of-justice analysis. Second , unlike cases in which a subject engages in obstruction of justice to cover up a crime , the evidence we obtained did not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference. Although the obstruction statutes do not require proof of such a crime, the absence of that evidence affects the analysis of the President's intent and requires consideration of other possible motives for his conduct. Third, many of the President's acts directed at witnesses, including discouragement of cooperation with the government and suggestions of possible future pardons , took place in public view. That circumstance is unusual, but no principle of law excludes public acts from the reach of the obstruction laws. If the likely effect of public acts is to influence witnesses or alter their testimony, the harm to the justice system's integrity is the same.

Although the series of events we investigated involved discrete acts, the overall pattern of the President's conduct towards the investigations can shed light on the nature of the President 's acts and the inferences that can be drawn about his intent. In particular, the actions we investigated can be divided into two phases , reflecting a possible shift in the President's motives. The first phase covered the period from the President 's first interactions with Corney through the President 's firing of Corney. During that time , the President had been repeatedly told he was not personally under investigation. Soon after the firing of Corney and the appointment of the Special Counsel, however, the President became aware that his own conduct was being investigated in an obstruction-of-justice inquiry. At that point , the President engaged in a second phase of conduct, involving public attacks on the investigation , non-public efforts to control it, and efforts in both public and private to encourage witnesses not to cooperate with the investigation. Judgments about the nature of the President 's motives during each phase would be informed by the totality of the evidence.

What Bloomberg (and other's) is reading as an invention for congress to take action is nonsensical. The section isn't even specific to trump... its labeled "constitutional defenses" and talks about whether or not a president's constitutional authority can shield him from an obstruction case.

Constitutional defenses:

As for constitutional defenses arising from the President's status as the head of the Executive Branch, we recognized that the Department of Justice and the courts have not. definitively resolved these issues. We therefore examined those issues through the framework established by Supreme Court precedent governing separation-of-powers issues. The Department of Justice and the President's personal counsel have recognized that the President is subject to statutes that prohibit obstruction of justice by bribing a witness or suborning perjury because that conduct does not implicate his constitutional authority. With respect to whether the President can be found to have obstructed justice by exercising his powers under Article II of the Constitution, we concluded that Congress has authority to prohibit a President's corrupt use of his authority in order to protect the integrity of the administration of justice .

Under applicable Supreme Court precedent, the Constitution does not categorically and permanently immunize a President for obstructing justice through the use of his Article II powers . The separation-of-powers doctrine authorizes Congress to protect official proceedings, including those of courts and grand juries, from corrupt, obstructive acts regard less of their source. We also concluded that any inroad on presidential authority that would occur from prohibiting corrupt acts does not undermine the President's ability to fulfill his constitutional mission. The term "corruptly " sets a demanding standard. It requires a concrete showing that a person acted with an intent to obtain an improper advantage for himself or someone else, inconsistent with official duty and the rights of others. A preclusion of "corrupt" official action does not diminish the President's ability to exercise Article II powers. For example , the proper supervision of criminal law does not demand freedom for the President to act with a corrupt intention of shielding himself from criminal punishment , avoiding financial liability, or preventing personal embarrassment. To the contrary , a statute that prohibits official action undertaken for such corrupt purposes furthers, rather than hinders, the impartial and evenhanded administration of the law. It also aligns with the President's constitutional duty to faithfully execute the laws. Finally, we concluded that in the rare case in which a criminal investigation of the President 's conduct is justified, inquiries to determine whether the President acted for a corrupt motive should not impermissibly chill his performance of his constitutionally assigned duties . The conclusion that Congress may apply the obstruction laws to the President 's corrupt exercise of the powers of office accords with our constitutional system of checks and balances and the principle that no person is above the law.

The decision is NOPE, the constitutional authority does not protect the president, but it is on congress to enforce.

There is NO invitation for congress to do anything. The report is conflicted because while the president's conduct was obstructive.. it cannot prove corruptly so. Its completely incompatible with all these "legal scholars" taking a birds eye view of a 2 year effort. This was the investigation. This is the conclusion. This isn't a prosecutable crime because they didn't meet the standard necessary to even suggest the president committed a crime. There was some iffy conduct because he had the authority over the investigation and didn't trust it. With out the underlying crime of conspiracy its basically impossible to conclude obstruction.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zaryia
@waahahah said:
@zaryia said:

He specifically stated they were incapable of exonerating him on Obstruction. Obstruction is laid out with evidence, and many legal scholars (including Andrew) agree that it was Obstruction. This does not conflict with Mueller's position that Trump was not exonerated and Congress should decide based off of the evidence (since he could not indict a sitting president).

Of course they are mutually exclusive. They are different conclusions.

They are different conclusions that are non mutually exclusive.

Mueller could not make a judgement or exonerate.

Andrew said it is clear obstruction, which doesn't conflict with the above stance. If Mueller said Trump was completely innocent of such a crime, then it would conflict. But he never said that or make a judgement, so Napolitanos views don't really clash with his.

“If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the president clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state,” according to the report. “Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.”

@waahahah said:

The fact is the Mueller report did not conclude the President committed a crime. Barr's summary is basically accurate.. except for the exoneration. It seems more likely he wants the Mueller's word to be final, and from a prosecutor's eye's he's basically innocent (until proven guilty).

It also did not exonerate him of such a crime, nor have confidence that he did not commit that crime. As stated above.

Making Andrew's statement's not mutually exclusive. Just different.

So I'll say it again, I accept both Mueller and Andrew's stance on this.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By waahahah

@zaryia said:
@waahahah said:
@zaryia said:

Of course they are mutually exclusive. They are different conclusions.

They are different conclusions that are not mutually exclusive.

Mueller could not make a judgement or exonerate.

Andrew said it is clear obstruction, which doesn't conflict with the above stance.

Mueller:

while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.

The report is pretty clear. Not exonerating him doesn't mean the president is guilty which conflicts Andrew's conclusion of guilt. And it doesn't even meet the legal standard of "guilt". Barr's view is compatible because it falls under what the legal stand of "guilty" is. Because if they could not determine if a crime was committed... there is significant amounts of reasonable doubt... because in order to prove guilt one would have to prove need to prove a crime was actually committed.

Nobody is suggesting that Trump's conduct wasn't obstructive. But Muller clearly states and lays in order to prove a obstruction of justice occurred he'd have to prove CORRUPT intent. And he says... we don't know, it may have been, but there are clear other reasons why it might not have been.

Thus Andrew's conclusion is in fact, contradicting Mueller's report, because its a presumption of guilt and corruption.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zaryia

@waahahah said:

Mueller:

while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.

The report is pretty clear. Not exonerating him doesn't mean the president is guilty which conflicts Andrew's conclusion of guilt. And it doesn't even meet the legal standard of "guilt". Barr's view is compatible because it falls under what the legal stand of "guilty" is. Because if they could not determine if a crime was committed... there is significant amounts of reasonable doubt... because in order to prove guilt one would have to prove need to prove a crime was actually committed.

Nobody is suggesting that Trump's conduct wasn't obstructive. But Muller clearly states and lays in order to prove a obstruction of justice occurred he'd have to prove CORRUPT intent. And he says... we don't know, it may have been, but there are clear other reasons why it might not have been.

Thus Andgrew's conclusion is in fact, contradicting Mueller's report, because its a presumption of guilt and corruption.

They aren't mutually exclusive.

Mueller couldn't reach a judgement, and said the President could not be exonerated of Obstructions.

Andrew's judgement directly conflicts with Barr's, just not Mueller's.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 waahahah

@zaryia said:

Mueller couldn't reach a judgement, and said the President could not be exonerated of Obstructions.

Mueller:

Its completely contradicting this conclusion.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zaryia
@waahahah said:
@zaryia said:

Mueller:

Its completely contradicting this conclusion.

“Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.”

They can't reach a judgement. Any opinions whether clear obstruction or obviously not obstruction aren't completely conflicting with his views.

Barr and Neapolitan, however, do have completely contradicting views.

Also you seem unclear on a few things,

As Mueller explained, his decision not to accuse or exonerate Trump on obstruction of justice was all about the fact that the Justice Department doesn’t charge sitting presidents with crimes:

The evidence we obtained about the President’s actions and intent presents difficult issues that would need to be resolved if we were making a traditional prosecutorial judgment, At the same time, if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the president clearly did not commit obstruction of justice we would so state.

"So no matter how damaging the evidence, Mueller decided it wasn’t his place to accuse the president of crimes; he could only clear him of crimes."

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 waahahah

@zaryia said:

“Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.”

They can't reach a judgement. Any opinions whether clear obstruction or obviously not obstruction aren't completely conflicting with his views.

Barr and Neapolitan, however, do have completely contradicting views.

Mueller:

President's intent and requires consideration of other possible motives for his conduct

It blatantly contradicts the findings of the Mueller report, the entire problem establishing obstruction of justice is the lack of evidence of corrupt intent, because andrew is presuming intent. It even contradicts with legal standards of guilt... which is why the Mueller report didn't conclude a crime was committed. They concluded the acts were obstructive but not provable a crime.