Mitch McConnell: If a Scotus vacancy occurs during the presidential election he'd fill it

• 81 results
#1 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday if a Supreme Court vacancy occurs during next year's presidential election, he would work to confirm a nominee appointed by President Donald Trump.

Speaking at a Paducah Chamber of Commerce luncheon in Kentucky, McConnell was asked by an attendee, "Should a Supreme Court justice die next year, what will your position be on filling that spot?"

The leader took a long sip of what appeared to be iced tea before announcing with a smile, "Oh, we'd fill it," triggering loud laughter from the audience.

https://cnn.com/2019/05/28/politics/mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court-2020/index.html

This shouldn't be a shock to anyone, but it's still hilarious.

#2 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (10759 posts) -

lol of course he would. Anyone that believed his reasoning in 2016 is an idiot. Those that knew he was full of shit and pretended it was a reasonable stance, are shills

McConnell is an abhorrent human being.

There's no longer any good faith left in the GOP. If democrats ever take power again, whether it's on the legislative or executive level, they should push ahead with whatever they can. Republicans have set a precedents and deserve to lie in the bed they've made.

#3 Posted by joebones5000 (2322 posts) -

The republican party and it's supporters are truly the most dangerous threat this nation faces. Absolutely disgusting.

#4 Edited by Master_Live (19551 posts) -

No shame.

But one day the shoe will be on the other foot.

#5 Edited by nintendoboy16 (36333 posts) -

They and other righties (even here I've noticed) are just waiting for RBG to croak, are they?

#6 Posted by Serraph105 (33835 posts) -

McConnell is a piece of shit. So are his supporters frankly.

#7 Posted by watercrack445 (1651 posts) -

The wording of that question by that reporter seemed pretty odd. Don't you think so?

#8 Posted by judaspete (2981 posts) -

There is a lot of blame to go around, but no one person has done more to help create the swampy mess congress has become than Mitch McConnell.

#9 Posted by comp_atkins (35731 posts) -
@judaspete said:

There is a lot of blame to go around, but no one person has done more to help create the swampy mess congress has become than Mitch McConnell.

and yet he's praised by 1/2 the country for his actions.

#10 Posted by Serraph105 (33835 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

The wording of that question by that reporter seemed pretty odd. Don't you think so?

It seemed pretty direct and specific.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#11 Edited by blaznwiipspman1 (7203 posts) -

RIP USA. This is how China fell from a super power status to a 3rd world scrub back in the 1800s. The con jobs took over. Same thing is happening to the US. Just hope it reverses course before it's too late

#12 Posted by ComeOnMan (194 posts) -

Elections have consequences. The Republicans control the Senate. Did you expect them to act against their political interests? If so, I have a bridge to sell you.

And please don't ask me to believe that Schmucky Chucky Schumer would act any differently were the shoe on the other foot.

#13 Posted by joebones5000 (2322 posts) -

@comeonman said:

Elections have consequences. The Republicans control the Senate. Did you expect them to act against their political interests? If so, I have a bridge to sell you.

And please don't ask me to believe that Schmucky Chucky Schumer would act any differently were the shoe on the other foot.

Oh, here we go - the 5 year old defense "they'd do it too!!!"

Let me take a wild guess, republican?

#14 Posted by ComeOnMan (194 posts) -

@joebones5000 said:
@comeonman said:

Oh, here we go - the 5 year old defense "they'd do it too!!!"

Let me take a wild guess, republican?

Registered Libertarian actually.

But for the purposes of this conversation, I'd label myself a hardcore cynical skeptic. All members of the political establishment are driven by avarice and greed much more than virtue.

I find it humorous that some still think any career politician, of whatever party, would act against their own self interest in favor of what is right for the country.

#15 Posted by Master_Live (19551 posts) -

But before McConnell did his thing with Scalia's seat this wasn't case. If Democrats do it going forward it would be because Mitch set the precedent.

#16 Posted by N64DD (11914 posts) -

Mitch is a class act. People here are so radicalized and upset that Hillary lost.

#17 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -

@Serraph105: @comeonman: It's funny how it's always Republicans lowering the bar and their followers claiming Democrats would have done it too.

Hey Serraph, remember our conversations about whether or not Democrats should engage in the same tactics as Republicans as a necessity? Im ready. If they're going to get blamed for being just as bad as the Republicans anyway as part of both-side-ism, they might as well reap the benefits.

I'm all-out on Biden, Schultz, and anyone else who is disillusioned enough to think bipartisanship is still in the cards.

#18 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -
@mattbbpl said:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday if a Supreme Court vacancy occurs during next year's presidential election, he would work to confirm a nominee appointed by President Donald Trump.

Speaking at a Paducah Chamber of Commerce luncheon in Kentucky, McConnell was asked by an attendee, "Should a Supreme Court justice die next year, what will your position be on filling that spot?"

The leader took a long sip of what appeared to be iced tea before announcing with a smile, "Oh, we'd fill it," triggering loud laughter from the audience.

https://cnn.com/2019/05/28/politics/mitch-mcconnell-supreme-court-2020/index.html

This shouldn't be a shock to anyone, but it's still hilarious.

No surprise and not seeing the fun bit here?

Of course, Trump will fill it if it comes in the next 12months They have control of the Senate and the Democrats have paved the road for them for another justice if anyone should decide to leave but even Ginsburg will keep on trucking until 2024 if Trump wins re-election.

#19 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10759 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

@Serraph105: @comeonman: It's funny how it's always Republicans lowering the bar and their followers claiming Democrats would have done it too.

Hey Serraph, remember our conversations about whether or not Democrats should engage in the same tactics as Republicans as a necessity? Im ready. If they're going to get blamed for being just as bad as the Republicans anyway as part of both-side-ism, they might as well reap the benefits.

I'm all-out on Biden, Schultz, and anyone else who is disillusioned enough to think bipartisanship is still in the cards.

I'm at this point too. Screw 'em. What's the worst they can say, quit acting like Mitch McConnell?

#20 Edited by ComeOnMan (194 posts) -

@mattbbpl:

I just think its a bit silly to come to a forum like this and point to this news story as evidence that a politician is two-faced and self-serving.

And in other news, water is wet and fire is hot. Details at eleven.

#21 Edited by Serraph105 (33835 posts) -

@mattbbpl: Yeah man, I still stand by what I said. If one side is doing whatever it takes to win you can try to act better than them, but you will find yourself constantly being taken advantage of because there's stuff that you refuse to do.

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

@comeonman said:

You know the politicians we elect are supposed to act in the interest of the country. Not the party.

#23 Edited by comp_atkins (35731 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:

You know the politicians we elect are supposed to act in the interest of the country. Not the party.

LOLOLOLOL

not if those interest conflict.

#24 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:

LOLOLOLOL

I said supposed to. Not do.

#25 Posted by N64DD (11914 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comp_atkins said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:

LOLOLOLOL

What's wrong with Mitch? He's not orange?

#26 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Trolling again...............what's wrong with his is he works for his self interests and the interests of his party. Not the country.

#27 Posted by N64DD (11914 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Trolling again...............what's wrong with his is he works for his self interests and the interests of his party. Not the country.

The interests of the party are in the country's best interests.

#28 Posted by Horgen (120580 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Then a debate about the country's best interest must be had.

#29 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -

@n64dd: "The interests of the party are in the country's best interests."

That's a bold statement regarding a party that intentionally repressed the economy during the greatest recession in a century.

#30 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44044 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

That's a bold statement regarding a party that intentionally repressed the economy during the greatest recession in a century.

Nothing bold about it, it's just plain ol' brainwashing.

#31 Posted by ComeOnMan (194 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:

Maybe we should stop electing politicians and start electing fellow citizens who have lives that don't revolve around gaining the next rung on the political ladder.

Maybe if gaining political power were not so damn lucrative, we wouldn't have career politicians.

#32 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (10759 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@mattbbpl said:

n64dd, WRECKT!!!

#33 Posted by N64DD (11914 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@mattbbpl said:

n64dd, WRECKT!!!

Our country is flourishing. The only thing that is growing from your side is whining and accusations.

Hard to be "wreckt" when you are wrong.

#34 Posted by Nuck81 (7635 posts) -

@n64dd: stop having a meltdown. It's just a message board

#35 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

n64dd, WRECKT!!!

Our country is flourishing. The only thing that is growing from your side is whining and accusations.

LOL nothing says flourishing like government handouts to industry's hurt by policy.

#36 Posted by Fuhrer_D (873 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

They and other righties (even here I've noticed) are just waiting for RBG to croak, are they?

She should have stepped down during the Obama administration, but you know, Hillary had it in the bag, right next to the hot sauce.

#37 Posted by comp_atkins (35731 posts) -
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

this sounds like something that would have come out of Stalin's mouth.

#38 Posted by judaspete (2981 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

n64dd, WRECKT!!!

LOL nothing says flourishing like government handouts to industry's hurt by policy.

Your statement misses (or ignores) the point. What he said was Republicans were intentionally repressing the economy while we were in a recession for partisan reasons. Despite that, America was doing better than most of the rest of the world during that time period. The economy took of when they stopped sabotaging it, and the rest of the world caught up with our recovery.

#39 Edited by N64DD (11914 posts) -

@judaspete said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

n64dd, WRECKT!!!

Your statement misses (or ignores) the point. What he said was Republicans were intentionally repressing the economy while we were in a recession for partisan reasons. Despite that, America was doing better than most of the rest of the world during that time period. The economy took of when they stopped sabotaging it, and the rest of the world caught up with our recovery.

Sorry, we have a higher quality of life then the rest of the world. Access to the best medicine, technology and growth. Go live in europe and pay 20 dollars a gallon for gas.

#40 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@judaspete said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@n64dd said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

n64dd, WRECKT!!!

Sorry, we have a higher quality of life then the rest of the world. Access to the best medicine, technology and growth. Go live in europe and pay 20 dollars a gallon for gas.

You just can't address anything honestly anymore, can you?

#41 Posted by N64DD (11914 posts) -

@mattbbpl: I am being serious. If people hate America, then move?

I think it’s the greatest country on Earth, which it is.

#42 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -
@n64dd said:

Spot on N64

America is the greatest place on earth to be, which is why we see all those massive gold digger caravans from South America and there is so many even from west-Europe who immigrated here.

Just ask a few of the moderators on Gamespot and a few of the former and current staff who came from Europe :)

#43 Posted by N64DD (11914 posts) -

@Jacanuk: People confuse us saying the best country as being perfect.

More orange mad bad threads though.

#44 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -
@n64dd said:

@Jacanuk: People confuse us saying the best country as being perfect.

More orange mad bad threads though.

Only God is perfect so ya they confuse it a lot with something that is impossible to archive.

It´s crazy though the amount of TDS that is going around and if some on this board spend as much as they do on here in real life being mad and angry over the democratically elected president, then i kinda feel sad for them.

#45 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -
@n64dd said:

I think you know I'm referring to your repeated strawmen.

#46 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166563 posts) -

@judaspete said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No no it didn't. Flourishing should mean industries aren't in need of bail outs due to government actions. You are not flourishing when that happens. Period.

#47 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (10759 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@mattbbpl said:

n64dd, WRECKT!!!

It's great that an adult (Obama) was able to hand over a flourishing economy to a child (Trump).

You'd have to remind me again though, how much has the deficit grown since president man child cut taxes, which unsurprisingly now, has shown to be a failure when it comes to return of investment?

Get wreckt along with the rest of team man child.

#48 Posted by mattbbpl (17200 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@judaspete said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No no it didn't. Flourishing should mean industries aren't in need of bail outs due to government actions. You are not flourishing when that happens. Period.

I'm not sure what Judaspete was trying to say, to be frank. I was leaning towards his statement being directed at N64dd who was in the preceding block, but it's not clear.

#49 Posted by N64DD (11914 posts) -

@mattbbpl: We flourishing. Why not you see it?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#50 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (45183 posts) -

Good, there's no reason why a court seat should remain vacant for an entire year.