Misinformation dropped 73 percent after Trumps Twitter ban along with some of his allies

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I guess Trump and his friends where fake news all along.... no shit. lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/01/16/misinformation-trump-twitter/

Online misinformation about election fraud plunged 73 percent after several social media sites suspended President Trump and key allies last week, research firm Zignal Labs has found, underscoring the power of tech companies to limit the falsehoods poisoning public debate when they act aggressively.

The new research by the San Francisco-based analytics firm reported that conversations about election fraud dropped from 2.5 million mentions to 688,000 mentions across several social media sites in the week after Trump was banned from Twitter.

Election disinformation had for months been a major subject of online misinformation, beginning even before the Nov. 3 election and pushed heavily by Trump and his allies.

Zignal found it dropped swiftly and steeply on Twitter and other platforms in the days after the Twitter ban took hold on Jan. 8.

The president and his supporters also have lost accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitch, Spotify, Shopify and others. Facebook called Trump’s suspension “indefinite” but left open the possibility that the account could later be restored.

The findings, from Jan. 9 through Friday, highlight how falsehoods flow across social media sites — reinforcing and amplifying each other — and offer an early indication of how concerted actions against misinformation can make a difference.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

That's because DARVO, they spread misinformation and fake news and are self consciously projecting their known insecurities on others.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

Not surprising at all.

And it's not just because Trump has stopped lying. It's because his cultists have no new lies to spread.

That's the real issue, imo. People lying is not new; it's the rate at which the lie spreads, and how believable (to some) the lie is, especially when the media either goes along with it, or doesn't call it out.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Lie big, lie repeatedly, and they become self reinforcing. Each instance corroborates the others in a circle.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

It's almost like these lies were reinforced from the top down a lot of the time. What a shock.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Yeah Trumpers love their misinformation.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Hahahahaha This is to good to be true. President of lies.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Does anyone here have a link to the study itself? Rather than journalists reporting on it? I would like to read on the methodology.

Specifically, if sites like Parler, and other alternatives were used for the data.

Not that I doubt that banning Trump didn't work. But this could give a more clear image.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

@Maroxad: the group is called Zignal Labs, they appear to be a business that helps businesses search for developing stories across the internet about their clients or their clients' services and products so that they can take intervening steps to get ahead of the developing narratives, they even say in selling their service they don't really deal with true or false just what pertains to the companies and their products and services... so curious how they can make such an assertion themselves.

I would imagine generating search algorithms to make such assertions would be far to complex to be considered accurate, and would run risk to deem just talk of the subject of misinformation as misinformation (YouTube's AI did that). My guess it would be far simpler to have access to social media websites and moderation stats and report on that. If we learned anything about the Cambridge Analytica these websites have scary amount of data and they pretty much give third parties access to whatever, so just me speculating but I would guess they would likely make such assertions based on moderation data.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

“It’s not misinformation, it’s censorship of conservative voices!”

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

In other words, spreading misinformation is basically a pyramid scheme.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

@Vaasman said:

In other words, spreading misinformation is basically a pyramid scheme.

That's a really elegant and accurate way to put it, yeah I think it is a lot like a pyramid scheme.