Microsoft pushing Xbox owners into energy-saving Shutdown mode to fight "climate change"

• 54 results
Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

Surprised Gamespot didn't have an article about this. Nearly every other tech website and even news websites mentioned it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/01/microsoft-will-start-firmly-pushing-xbox-owners-toward-energy-saving-mode/

Would you like companies to be more aggressive in slowing down your gaming start times and taking control of when you can play in order to fight climate change?

Maybe the government should measure energy usage for each PC and console to measure its carbon output and shut it down if it goes over its allocated amount. Should consoles and PCs be forced to have efficiency just like with cars and other appliances? I'm sure that this will have a meaningful impact on the temperatures on the planet.

Since they want everything to go on the electric grid you can't have your gaming interfering with the limited energy needed to plug in electric cars and electric stoves.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23898 Posts

I was thinking of going PC/Switch gaming this gen. But man, you just made a really good case for me getting an Xbox if I need a second console.

Yay! :D

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

are you really having a tantrum over a 15 second boot time?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maroxad

Off-topic rant but: Why would anyone be opposed to more energy efficient products? The reason oil and energy prices are so steep is not because of the green party boogieman, but because of incredibly energy inefficient energy infrastructure. Don't want energy prices through the roof? Innovate and develop solutions so we consume less energy. Find ways to produce less energy waste, that is a key part of the puzzle that sadly seems to escape a lot of the political discourse. It is almost like anyone opposed to this wants high energy costs.

Good for MS and their engineers to acknowledge this issue. MS continues to be way ahead of Sony and Nintendo when it comes to providing a service.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

Oh the horrors of 15 second boot time. How can I live with that?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maroxad

@horgen: Not even a 15 minute boot time. The only thing that really changed are the default settings.

This is probably why GS and most other sites are not reporting on this. Because in the end, the thing the TC is being hysterical about is a change in default settings.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

I'm all for this. It's not going to save the world or anything, but why would anyone want their console to use power when they are not playing it? I hate when appliances go to standby instead of off. Having to wait a few seconds for my coffee pot to boot up is the least of my problems.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

I started using my smart tv apps instead of my Xbox due to the unnecessary electricity usage. Not doing it for the climate though, lol, doing it for my wallet because my kiddo loves watching Bluey on Disney+ and Ms Rachel on YouTube.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

On a related note, I wish I could remotely turn off my PS5 via the app. Or even being able to turn it on (if it's sleeping) via the app would be neat, too. Yes, these are first world problems. Still, that would be handy once in a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Many, many countries are still in the process of industrialisation, you can count them out. You can also disregard the developed ones too, barely anyone actually cares. It would not be very human to take preventative action would it? The planet would need to be on the verge of collapse until anyone actually says "woopse"

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Small changes that improve efficiency are generally a good thing. We need billions of changes like this every year among a multitude of products. We also need far larger changes to infrastructure and energy sources if we really want to make any sort of dent in the effects of climate change, but this is a good, albeit tiny, change for the better.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

This is great news, good for Microsoft.

Probably won't make much of a difference, but maybe sneak it in there and make it the default option lol. Doubt people will really care.

@comp_atkins said:

Yes.

This is the main problem with folks like this: they turn it into a matter of principle instead of practicality.

Oh, don't get them wrong, they'd be totally OK with green initiatives and saving the world and making it a better place to live, they just don't want to...

@Maxpowers_32 said:

Maybe the government should measure energy usage for each PC and console to measure its carbon output and shut it down if it goes over its allocated amount. Should consoles and PCs be forced to have efficiency just like with cars and other appliances? I'm sure that this will have a meaningful impact on the temperatures on the planet.

...and they also love slippery slope fallacies!

Pretty soon we'll have a joint EPA-USDA-FDA SWAT STRIKE FORCE raiding your home with voltmeters.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I started using my smart tv apps instead of my Xbox due to the unnecessary electricity usage. Not doing it for the climate though, lol, doing it for my wallet because my kiddo loves watching Bluey on Disney+ and Ms Rachel on YouTube.

And this is why we need to appeal to people's wallets. That's the pragmatic stance, for individuals and corporations.

Nothing wrong with it, just the truth.

Thankfully it's not a hard argument to make; electrical cars, from power-plant to car battery, are cheaper to operate than combustion engines. It's easy to justify solar and wind energy for new manufacturing plants. And so on and so forth.

Honestly it's such an alienating topic, you might as well leave "climate change" out of the conversation entirely. "Want to save money while making a diff--while not giving a dime to the corrupt PG&E!? USE SOLAR! It's MANLY!"

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

I'm surprised anyone is buying xbox products in the first place.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

@tjandmia: in that case, congrats on finding your way out of your mother's womb!

Unfortunately, this particular board is intended for mature, intellectual discussion of controversial happenings, initiatives and policies, like those around environmental concerns and commitments.

Now, would you like some assistance locating SW, too, where we can play stupidy stupidies to your heart's content?

On topic: bravissimo, Microsoft! A fine play indeed. A real win-win-win solution.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:

@tjandmia: in that case, congrats on finding your way out of your mother's womb!

Unfortunately, this particular board is intended for mature, intellectual discussion of controversial happenings, initiatives and policies, like those around environmental concerns and commitments.

Now, would you like some assistance locating SW, too, where we can play stupidy stupidies to your heart's content?

On topic: bravissimo, Microsoft! A fine play indeed. A real win-win-win solution.

I guess I've found at least one person who bought one. Ha ha.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3391 Posts

Good move from Microsoft.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sancho_Panzer

@tjandmia:

1. I'm a pc gamer.

2. This is political discussion, not Dumbo Central. Kindly take your childishness elsewhere.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Off-topic rant but: Why would anyone be opposed to more energy efficient products? The reason oil and energy prices are so steep is not because of the green party boogieman, but because of incredibly energy inefficient energy infrastructure. Don't want energy prices through the roof? Innovate and develop solutions so we consume less energy. Find ways to produce less energy waste, that is a key part of the puzzle that sadly seems to escape a lot of the political discourse. It is almost like anyone opposed to this wants high energy costs.

Good for MS and their engineers to acknowledge this issue. MS continues to be way ahead of Sony and Nintendo when it comes to providing a service.

If it worked exactly the same of course I wouldn't mind. The problem is when it doesn't work the same (ex longer boot time), slower PC, being locked out of using the product, etc. For example, having the AC turn off when you're not in the room in a hot and humid climate so that you walk in from the scorching heat into a hot and muggy room doesn't help. My mom also developed horrible rashes because the washing machines don't work properly because they're trying to save water.

Don't want energy prices through the roof? Why not start by keeping power plants that operate at low cost open? Nuclear power, coal power, gas power, etc. How about not having the government forcing people to buy cars they don't want that plug into the grid or banning gas stoves to increase the demand further?

Are videogames on a high end gaming PC or console really the best use of time or energy? Would you support putting mandated energy usage on consoles and PCs if that meant going back to 8 bit graphics? What personal sacrifices are you making?

Meanwhile China has committed to increasing their carbon output until 2030 and may produce more than the rest of the world. That's not a big deal though, right?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maroxad
@Maxpowers_32 said:

If it worked exactly the same of course I wouldn't mind. The problem is when it doesn't work the same (ex longer boot time), slower PC, being locked out of using the product, etc. For example, having the AC turn off when you're not in the room in a hot and humid climate so that you walk in from the scorching heat into a hot and muggy room doesn't help. My mom also developed horrible rashes because the washing machines don't work properly because they're trying to save water.

Don't want energy prices through the roof? Why not start by keeping power plants that operate at low cost open? Nuclear power, coal power, gas power, etc. How about not having the government forcing people to buy cars they don't want that plug into the grid or banning gas stoves to increase the demand further?

Are videogames on a high end gaming PC or console really the best use of time or energy? Would you support putting mandated energy usage on consoles and PCs if that meant going back to 8 bit graphics? What personal sacrifices are you making?

Meanwhile China has committed to increasing their carbon output until 2030 and may produce more than the rest of the world. That's not a big deal though, right?

A 15 second boot up time is next to nothing. THere are games with longer load times than that. It also results in lower electricity bills. And in the case of the Xbox, it is also something you can opt in or out of. They just changed the default. I still use a 1070. Have no desire to upgrade my graphics card. Better graphics is not worth the extra energy consumption. Let alone money for buying said card to begin with.

Coal power is not cheap by any means. Solar Photovaltic, Onshore wind are both cheaper. There is a reason coal is going bankrupt. It is no longer economically viable.

I am making sacrifices that are held within reason. A 15 second start up time, is perfectly reasonable sacrifice and if anything, I have been annoyed at a lot of electronics NOT even having the option to be shut down. To remedy this, I bought a multisocket plug to block their access to electricity myself. Holding the power button on my Switch for 3 seconds to shut my handheld gaming device (where it extra much sense to conserve energy), any time I want to shut it off is really inconvenient and annoying.

China produces significantly less per capita than most western countries. This finger pointing you are doing is why nothing gets done. You are pointing fingers rather than looking at actual solutions... smh, here let me help you out.

1. Through proper insulation you can save roughly 15% of your heating costs.
2. Rather than using electricity to heat your home, you can use a solar collector.
3. By taking the bus, walking or riding a bike, you save 100% of your fuel costs.
4. By using evaporative cooling, you can throw away the AC. The AC uses 90% more energy.
5. If all products were shut off instead of entering sleep mode. You will save hundreds of euro every year.

Edit: As for your Et Tu question about what sacrifices I make?

1. ALL my energy comes from renewable sources
2. I make sure to shut off all power on my appliances
3. I cold shower and I also limit my time in the shower
4. I minimize heating usage (only using some heating to prevent damage done to my apartment)
5. I buy local.
6. I avoid buying stuff unless I reeally need it.
7. I ride a bike exclusively. Got rid of my car.
8. I am vegan.
9. I plant and cultivate trees to regrow lost biomass. This is done on my free time.
10. I REFUSE to use an AC, instead using my windows to keep things cool. If it is still hot, I just tough it out.
11. Recycle in a myriad different categories.
12. I minimize the use of cloud storage.

But I wouldnt call these sacrifices. Since they let me save a ton of money, live healthier, have more energy and more benefits.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

All this angst over a start up time. Entitlement I guess.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Funny these people never consider the cost savings, but they love to whine about soda and bag taxes.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#23 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The Series consoles boot so fast that I have no reason to use the sleep function.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Nothing wrong with energy saving. This is just a full shutdown instead of a sleep mode, which is how I utilize my PC. My electricity bills are sub-$100 a month, so i'm not worried about any cost saving. I should say I own a PC, PS5, and Switch, but no Xbox.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6861 Posts

@Maroxad said:

What service is that? Mediocre games ?

There's a reason they are dead last.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

The concern is real.

How dare they change a default setting. To think they can push that commie energy efficiency BS on us.

You should protest.

I suggest you turn your truck on and let it idle. Like all the time. So you can instantly drive anywhere.

Maybe ram some small EVs as well. Show those fcukers who's boss.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Will you actually see a difference in your electric bill? My PS5 is in rest mode all but probably 6 hrs per week.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Maroxad
@silentchief said:

Gamepass.

Which is arguably the best deal in gaming. Surpassing even Steam. Even before gamepass, Xbox Live was trailing way ahead of Sony's attempts and whatever Nintendo was and still is doing.

And getting Persona 5 Golden (which ended up sucking), Forza, Tunic, The Outer Worlds, EVERY LoL champion, and Prodeus all for 1 dollar is incredible. Nothing the Switch or PS5 can offer a deal near that calibre.

Sorry, but as far as providing a good service goes, nothing can touch MS. Not even Valve. MS saving potentially 55ish euro a year. By changing a setting like this. Is also a commendable move, it may not be much, but considering I have 2 friends constantly mooching me for money. It is clear that even a small sum of 60 dollars a year can make or break the bank for some people.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Maroxad

@joshrmeyer said:

Will you actually see a difference in your electric bill? My PS5 is in rest mode all but probably 6 hrs per week.

Most users probably will. If you use your Series X 4 hours a day, that means it is in sleep mode 20 hours a day, that should have a monthly cost of around 4.7 euro, just through that alone. Now add this to 12 months. and the cost becomes around 56 euro per year, almost enough to buy a new game.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen

@Maroxad said:
@silentchief said:

Gamepass.

Which is arguably the best deal in gaming. Surpassing even Steam. Even before gamepass, Xbox Live was trailing way ahead of Sony's attempts and whatever Nintendo was and still is doing.

And getting Persona 5 Golden (which ended up sucking), Forza, Tunic, The Outer Worlds, EVERY LoL champion, and Prodeus all for 1 dollar is incredible. Nothing the Switch or PS5 can offer a deal near that calibre.

Sorry, but as far as providing a good service goes, nothing can touch MS. Not even Valve. MS saving potentially 55ish euro a year. By changing a setting like this. Is also a commendable move, it may not be much, but considering I have 2 friends constantly mooching me for money. It is clear that even a small sum of 60 dollars a year can make or break the bank for some people.

I just learned Nintendo had a subscription service as well, and it is needed to get the re-release of GoldenEye on Switch.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:
@silentchief said:

Gamepass.

I just learned Nintendo had a subscription service as well, and it is needed to get the re-release of GoldenEye on Switch.

i think the n64 vc is extra $ from the base online subscrpition though.

you get nes/snes with the base iirc

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad

@horgen said:

Yup, N64 games cost extra on the subscription. Ideally there should be no cost considering how weak it is compared to Game Pass.

I love Nintendo First Party Games, but their services really suck. Almost makes me wish MS and Nintendo merged. To hopefully combine the best of both worlds Nintendo's games and MS's services and technology.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JoshRMeyer

@Maroxad: 20 hours a day at 12 watts for a month would be 7.2 kWh per month. Here in the states electricity ranges in price but somewhere around 10 cents a kWh. So, 72 cents a month. I saw an article about it for the UK though. Guess electricity is way more there. I'd definitely be turning all my electronics off there. PS5 uses .3 watts per hour in default standby mode, so same scenario it'd cost me 2 cents a month. Fun fact, XSX uses more power in standby mode than Switch uses while docked playing a game lol.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2133 Posts

It's not only the cost for the individual user, it's also the gigawatts of electricity wasted for nothing globally (how many series x/s consoles are there worldwide?).

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Maroxad
@joshrmeyer said:

@Maroxad: 20 hours a day at 12 watts for a month would be 7.2 kWh per month. Here in the states electricity ranges in price but somewhere around 10 cents a kWh. So, 72 cents a month. I saw an article about it for the UK though. Guess electricity is way more there. I'd definitely be turning all my electronics off there. PS5 uses .3 watts per hour in default standby mode, so same scenario it'd cost me 2 cents a month. Fun fact, XSX uses more power in standby mode than Switch uses while docked playing a game lol.

I guess it is cheaper for you than it is for me :)

I shouldn't be too surprised though. Our current populist government COMPLETELY goofed up our energy grid. Turns out complex problems does not have simple solutions. Who would have thunk? :P There is a reason their approval rating is rock bottom. 23% Approval rating.

But yeah, you definately save a lot with this. At least over here. And given how power hungry the XSX is. You can probably see why this is a good idea for the console.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Silentchief

@Maroxad said:
@silentchief said:

Gamepass.

It's $1 for the first month and It goes up to $10 after that. Honestly it's $15 a month if you have a PC or want to play online on Xbox. It's a good deal but not as incredible as people make it out to be.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sancho_Panzer

You'd probably be best off checking real world consumption with a power meter for any of these devices for calculations. Companies and shills always lie their asses off about this stuff because they're not interested in the reality of the situation, just whatever sounds best.

@joshrmeyer: wow, the figures you've quoted are even lower than Sony's. Where are you getting them from? Same for average electricity cost. You are taking into account daytime Vs nighttime tariffs, right?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 horgen

@comp_atkins said:

i think the n64 vc is extra $ from the base online subscrpition though.

you get nes/snes with the base iirc

I am not getting a subscription for that game alone. And I don't have time nor interest enough in other Nintendo games to justify the cost.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Maroxad
@silentchief said:

It's $1 for the first month and It goes up to $10 after that. Honestly it's $15 a month if you have a PC or want to play online on Xbox. It's a good deal but not as incredible as people make it out to be.

Paid for it twice for 1 dollar now. Same account and everything. It is a thing I like in and out of every few months. Made gaming incredibly cheap.

No other service comes close. Not even Steam, as good as Steam sales are.

@sancho_panzer said:

You'd probably be best off checking real world consumption with a power meter for any of these devices for calculations. Companies and shills always lie their asses off about this stuff because they're not interested in the reality of the situation, just whatever sounds best.

@joshrmeyer: wow, the figures you've quoted are even lower than Sony's. Where are you getting them from? Same for average electricity cost. You are taking into account daytime Vs nighttime tariffs, right?

That is the best thing to do. There are so many variables in place. I based mine by calculating using data from a friend's XSX. Using a gauge we used back in engineering school.

SystemWarsVet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SystemWarsVet
Member since 2023 • 3 Posts

So basically what the Switch and PS5/4 already do? Neither of those shut down completely and instead go into rest mode.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Silentchief

@Maroxad: What are you doing? Just cancelling it and resubscribing?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@silentchief said:
@Maroxad said:
@silentchief said:

Gamepass.

Agreed.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Maroxad

@silentchief said:

1. Sub for a few months.
  2. Play GamePass during those months.
  3. Sub runs out
  4. Play non Game Pass games.
  5. Rince repeat.
Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sancho_Panzer

@Maroxad: smart.

Yeah, just reading your post reminded me, power saving is one of those questions which sounds like a small issue per device, but when you add up the costs over an entire household, it gets obscene.

I remember Dave's EEV blog had a video on the topic a few months back. Basic power consumption meters are so cheap now, there's no reason to be taking any marketer's word for these specs.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Silentchief

@Maroxad said:
@silentchief said:

1. Sub for a few months.
  2. Play GamePass during those months.
  3. Sub runs out
  4. Play non Game Pass games.
  5. Rince repeat.

Hmmm, I'll have to try that. I just got a XSX for Christmas.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@joshrmeyer: Where Are you getting 12 watts from?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Maroxad

@sancho_panzer said:

@Maroxad: smart.

Yeah, just reading your post reminded me, power saving is one of those questions which sounds like a small issue per device, but when you add up the costs over an entire household, it gets obscene.

I remember Dave's EEV blog had a video on the topic a few months back. Basic power consumption meters are so cheap now, there's no reason to be taking any marketer's word for these specs.

Yup, in that experiment I mentioned, that we did in engineering school.

We actually calculated the total cost. Over a year, it added up quite a bit. Can't remember my number. I wonder what it would be now, with the inflation and increasing energy prices.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JoshRMeyer

@sealionact: Googled it. It ranged from 11-13 on various sites so I went with 12. This is the last site I checked with, says 13, https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/switch-xbox-ps5-power-consumption-comparison-how-energy-efficient-is-nintendo-switch

As someone else said, it's hard to get an exact figure. But it is a good deal higher than the other 2 consoles.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JoshRMeyer

@sancho_panzer: Just googled it. Various sites say different numbers so I went with the average. Also depends on if you're connected to the internet I believe. There's no daytime/nighttime tariffs here that I know of.