If it worked exactly the same of course I wouldn't mind. The problem is when it doesn't work the same (ex longer boot time), slower PC, being locked out of using the product, etc. For example, having the AC turn off when you're not in the room in a hot and humid climate so that you walk in from the scorching heat into a hot and muggy room doesn't help. My mom also developed horrible rashes because the washing machines don't work properly because they're trying to save water.
Don't want energy prices through the roof? Why not start by keeping power plants that operate at low cost open? Nuclear power, coal power, gas power, etc. How about not having the government forcing people to buy cars they don't want that plug into the grid or banning gas stoves to increase the demand further?
Are videogames on a high end gaming PC or console really the best use of time or energy? Would you support putting mandated energy usage on consoles and PCs if that meant going back to 8 bit graphics? What personal sacrifices are you making?
Meanwhile China has committed to increasing their carbon output until 2030 and may produce more than the rest of the world. That's not a big deal though, right?
A 15 second boot up time is next to nothing. THere are games with longer load times than that. It also results in lower electricity bills. And in the case of the Xbox, it is also something you can opt in or out of. They just changed the default. I still use a 1070. Have no desire to upgrade my graphics card. Better graphics is not worth the extra energy consumption. Let alone money for buying said card to begin with.
Coal power is not cheap by any means. Solar Photovaltic, Onshore wind are both cheaper. There is a reason coal is going bankrupt. It is no longer economically viable.
I am making sacrifices that are held within reason. A 15 second start up time, is perfectly reasonable sacrifice and if anything, I have been annoyed at a lot of electronics NOT even having the option to be shut down. To remedy this, I bought a multisocket plug to block their access to electricity myself. Holding the power button on my Switch for 3 seconds to shut my handheld gaming device (where it extra much sense to conserve energy), any time I want to shut it off is really inconvenient and annoying.
China produces significantly less per capita than most western countries. This finger pointing you are doing is why nothing gets done. You are pointing fingers rather than looking at actual solutions... smh, here let me help you out.
1. Through proper insulation you can save roughly 15% of your heating costs.
2. Rather than using electricity to heat your home, you can use a solar collector.
3. By taking the bus, walking or riding a bike, you save 100% of your fuel costs.
4. By using evaporative cooling, you can throw away the AC. The AC uses 90% more energy.
5. If all products were shut off instead of entering sleep mode. You will save hundreds of euro every year.
Edit: As for your Et Tu question about what sacrifices I make?
1. ALL my energy comes from renewable sources
2. I make sure to shut off all power on my appliances
3. I cold shower and I also limit my time in the shower
4. I minimize heating usage (only using some heating to prevent damage done to my apartment)
5. I buy local.
6. I avoid buying stuff unless I reeally need it.
7. I ride a bike exclusively. Got rid of my car.
8. I am vegan.
9. I plant and cultivate trees to regrow lost biomass. This is done on my free time.
10. I REFUSE to use an AC, instead using my windows to keep things cool. If it is still hot, I just tough it out.
11. Recycle in a myriad different categories.
12. I minimize the use of cloud storage.
But I wouldnt call these sacrifices. Since they let me save a ton of money, live healthier, have more energy and more benefits.
Log in to comment