OtakuDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By OtakuDante
Member since 2019 • 2 Posts

As a gaming reviewer, and film reviewer I've struggled with metrics. I started off big time with millions of views according to Google+, but due to my sharing of certain political posts I've been excluded from Google search in regards to the title of game reviewed. It was an obvious punishment for not adhering to the popular opinion. As such my metrics are botched, and unreliable. I'm still getting acknowledgement from followers on Twitter when I share my reviews, and people are sharing what I share. The problem is I'm not reaching my max potential. Therein lies the problem. I can't grow, I can't become popular, and I cannot do the amount of work I want to.

As far as the title of this thread is concerned my plight relates to the very nature of today's politics, and metrics monopolies. Anyone considered wrongfully politically aligned is subject to being hidden from plain sight regardless of the validity of the accusation. I will go on record to say I'm not Left, Right, or Center leaning. I'm a guy who doesn't lift up, and praise politicians as if they were gods like everyone else does. I find all parties to have similar agendas in regards to controlling society. With that kind of power being used to control the scope of perspective it leads to bias, and bias is not always fact. I think with this kind of authoritative censorship being allowed it silences content that isn't even of the political nature. That it ruins peoples' chances of becoming relevant outside of politics, and that it narrows the critique to the point it could either be a truth or a lie, depending upon what those in control deem appropriate.

Everyone wants to be on the right side of the equation, but how is one to know if they are if they aren't allowed to see things from all sides? That is where metrics, popularity, and politics come into play ... together in the perfect storm to spotlight only those that perpetuate agendas for agenda sake. The side effect is that everything that chosen influencers deem worthy when it's not worthy at all ends up ruining industries through the public's learning of lies after the truth is realized first hand. Not everyone agrees with everyone's opinions, and with all focused on opinions pointing in the same misdirection it loses social trust, and ruins the credibility of the jobs those like me try to keep relevant. There is no escaping reality, as Ayn Rand has said. It's just a matter of time until people realize the monopoly at play, and how it has shaped the world into what it has, and will become. At the end of the day it's all about control. The silencing, and censoring of individuals like myself. Unfortunately for those who censor, and silence they will find out that information that goes underground can be as easily found by those seeking it as the information spotlighted front, and center by those with political and monetary motivations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Make sure whenever you make a potentially controversial post, that you have a good healer, dps, and tank on board. You should do fine.

But in a more serious note, I find that insecure, fragile minds are the ones that try to silence differing opinions. There should always be room for discussion and controversy - else we don't grow as individuals or society. There's too much of this shaming and shunning of views that fall outside of what the accepted p.o.v. is, and I think that is shortsighted and dangerous. One should be challenged on their beliefs, else they cease to be worthwhile.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I'm not sure if I even saw a point presented in your post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Something seems off about the entire post, but I usually just go with the flow and make a rambling response.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

I have conflicting opinions about this.

On the one hand I like the idea of the internet being a neutral place where any and all ideas can be shared and discussed. On the other, companies put a lot of work into building and maintaining these sites and should be able to control them as they see fit.

I mean, people mostly understand that if you got to a public park and start yelling controversial things, you will be forced to leave. But then we'll go to websites which are privately run and expect to say whatever we want free of consequence. I think the fact we are in our own house gives us a sense we are entitled to use websites however we want. The fact is, these are private companies building and maintaining these sites. If Google thinks your words are going to lose them ad revenue, they have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to block or drop you. It's just capitalism, or at least our current version of it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Think the point was that certain political views are being throttled by companies like Facebook, Google, etc... So is it worth it to share those views if you are in the business of making videos on youtube etc....

But who knows.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Tl:DR wall of text

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58298 Posts

@n64dd said:

Tl:DR wall of text

He is essentially asking if "get woke, go broke" is a thing.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

stop thinking the gigantic global corporations that run the internet exist to provide you free speech.

they don't exist to provide a platform for all opinions to be treated the same. they exist to extract the most profit out of those opinions.